Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prometheus *SPOILERS FROM POST 1538*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »
    PG-13 can get you some good action and a bit of gore these days. Alas if you want something genuinely scary you have to make peace with getting an R rating.
    I disagree, just compare Die Hard 4 to Die Hard 1.
    Die Hard 4, although PG, is quite entertaining and action packed....but if you watch the two back to back, it has a huge impact.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.... I said 'scary'. Die Hard aint scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.... I said 'scary'. Die Hard aint scary.

Die Hard 4 certainly was a horror to watch :pac: (Decent action flick but shìt Die Hard flick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

I won't go see it if it is PG13.

Had enough of them butchering films because of that rating.
    Once they give the film a PG13 rating, everything seems to go downhill.
    For the big ones anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I think the skull face design is related to how in the director's cut of Alien it shows how the xenos reproduce. In that cut of the film they harvest human bodies in these sort of cocoons which transform you into one of them.

No it was
    Brett had being transformed into an Egg and Dallas was to be the first victim to be impregenated the normal way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Bubs102

You can still have a good Alien movie in PG-13. If this means more suspense and a well thought out story this is a good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm saying that despite the good action, DH4 still fell short in many regards.
    So the alien prequel may very well get you your action and gore, but still has a high risk of being pants.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Jurassic Park was only PG, plenty of suspense as well as action. I reckon in Alien suspense is the important thing, so hopefully they can pull it off.

I'm saying that despite the good action, DH4 still fell short in many regards.
    So the alien prequel may very well get you your action and gore, but still has a high risk of being pants.

That's pretty much what I was implying. I said it could have action andgore but probably wouldn't be scary.

That's pretty much what I was implying. I said it could have action andgore but probably wouldn't be scary.

Or probably wouldn't be at all good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    No it was
    Brett had being transformed into an Egg and Dallas was to be the first victim to be impregenated the normal way

That would have sickened me, and I ain't squeamish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I should probably march into this thread at this point, give everyone a bad taste in their mouthes and remind them of AvP:Requim. Prior to release, the directors of that film promised that after the PG13 AvP, they would be ramping up the gore & violence. Did that make for a better movie? No, if anything it made the sequel even worse.

Gore in a horror / thriller movie doesn't automatically make it a better one. He's a bit patchy these days, but I trust Ridley Scott to come up with effective atmosphere and visuals to compensate for any lack of gore.

Hell when you think about it - how much gore was there in Alien anyway? Omitting Ash (the android) getting his head smacked off, I don't recall that much in the way of blood and guts anyway; it was a good haunted-house movie that needed no Savinis on set

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I should probably march into this thread at this point, give everyone a bad taste in their mouthes and remind them of AvP:Requim. Prior to release, the directors of that film promised that after the PG13 AvP, they would be ramping up the gore & violence. Did that make for a better movie? No, if anything it made the sequel even worse.

Gore in a horror / thriller movie doesn't automatically make it a better one. He's a bit patchy these days, but I trust Ridley Scott to come up with effective atmosphere and visuals to compensate for any lack of gore.

Hell when you think about it - how much gore was there in Alien anyway? Omitting Ash (the android) getting his head smacked off, I don't recall that much in the way of blood and guts anyway; it was a good haunted-house movie that needed no Savinis on set

Ash was android so his "blood" was white, not technically gore :P

The dinner scene in Alien is probably the most gruesome bit in all the first three films, there's some pretty big blood splatters in the others in places and some downright rank imagery in Alien: Ressurection.

THe thing is though, AVP: Requiem was a bad movie because it was made by bad(possibly retarded) filmakers, further evidence of this
    > SKYLINE.

Indeed the only thing it had going for it was the beat-downs between the monsters and the practical special FX.

You're point is a valid one though, Ridley Scott should be good enough to come up with a decent atmosphere and even his crapper movies are visually great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

When Scott did Alien it was fresh and introduced a new believeable mysterious horror creature into our minds..

Aliens was a completely different film and, for me, practically set the industry standard/cliche that almost every other film has borrowed since, it was a masterpiece in its own right

Alien 3 rode on the wave of those two films and was going to always be 'half-decent' regardless

Everything else was stupid American trash made by directors with backward caps who say things like 'oh oh and one of the guys should have dreadlocks and attitude, oh oh and there should be a king alien, wouldn't that be awesome' and other such nonsense

A prequel will try to get back to the 'roots' which is what Alien 3 has done already.. so I doubt anything will be new.

Anyone who has been an Alien fan for 20 years will know that they just can't get it right.. not even the computer games.. if they 'don't get it' then theres no point getting our hopes up

Everything else was stupid American trash made by directors with backward caps who say things like 'oh oh and one of the guys should have dreadlocks and attitude, oh oh and there should be a king alien, wouldn't that be awesome' and other such nonsense

except of course alien resurrection was directed by Jean Pierre Jeunet. Who while clearly not suited to either the hollywood machine or the alien franchise is not a 'nonsense' director.

Now Paul W.S Anderson we saw coming a mile away for all the mistakes he made (cause he's made them every other time before hand) and the brothers Strauss follow the tradition set forth by films like Spawn which states that sfx designers do not make good directors (Sorry Stan pumpkinhead may be fun but its not a good film.)

I rather liked the alien franchise being used as a litmus test for stepping from outside the studio machine to being a king of it. Both Cameron and Ridley Scott have obviously gone on to be such and David Fincher had quite a shaky climb with one foot in and one foot out which his alien 3 experiances famously influenced. Jean Pierre Jeunet has not come back to hollywood since alien resurrection, instead going on to make one of the most celebrated french films of recent years.

Shame they broke that trend with paul w.s anderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

The Pg-13 might'nt work if its going to influence what cuts have to be omitted...in aliens making of cameron made a good point ....'gore causes disgust rather than fear"...

imo part of the alien & aliens appeal is partly a slick combo of fear & disgust (i think well placed extreme gore added a chilling aspect to first 2 films playing against human morals of the viewer) i don't think the first 2 films would be the same without the gore which is a lot less frequent than it seems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I don't think a film certificate is judged solely on the amount of 'gore' which is in the film.

Take the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film from the 60's, hardly any gore at all yet it remained banned right into the 90's in Ireland.

I'm really looking forward to this new Aliens prequel, gore is neither here nor there with me. I'm hoping that it's not other things that get comprimised to gain a PG-13 making the film seem unrealistic ..ie script

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mantys

@Jonny7:
    I think Alien 3 was the best. If you think about in in a psychological way:
    There are two aliens here, the Alien Runner and actualy Ripley herself (alien as an intruder on all male prison planet)! And another alien in her body. (3 aliens - Alien3) People around her are rapists and murderers, but one of them hesitates to kill her, when she asks him! Until now, she was so scared of the aliens, now she realises that she can approach them without being harmed, BUT STILL CAN'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT! And she needs to die!!! They have no weapons. If the runner kills all the people and the queen bursts out of her, everything is lost. It's about being absolutely lost, the time is ticking and she is hopelessly unable to do anything!
    I think, it's absolutely amazing! I'm not saying that previous movies were bad, they are brilliant, but personaly I think Alien 3 is the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I got the blu ray anthology for christmas and Ridley Scott mentioned the upcoming prequel, so i was thinking nice one , it should be summer 2011 or so .... 2013!!!!!

How come it's taking so long, they have been planning it for years..

Can't wait that long !!! :mad::mad::mad:

the_monkey wrote: »

How come it's taking so long, they have been planning it for years..

Can't wait that long !!! :mad::mad::mad:

In fairness, I'd rather it was done properly, rather than quickly.

Doesn't look good anyway, films that have a long time between sequels/prequels are usually sh/t..

Could be looking at another Indiana Jones 4 here.

Of course I hope I'm prooved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In fairness, if I was of the right age in the early 80s & someone told me that the sequel to the 1979 sci-fi, haunted-house, horror movie Alien would be a action movie featuring gung-ho marines vs. 100s of aliens, and all helmed by an unknown Canadian director, I would have assumed "Aliens" was going to be utter rubbish.

"Oh god" I'd cry "typical Hollywood trying to ruin good ideas with guns and action". So I'm totally playing the waiting game and not going to jump to conclusions here.

Jonny7 wrote: »
    When Scott did Alien it was fresh and introduced a new believeable mysterious horror creature into our minds..

Aliens was a completely different film and, for me, practically set the industry standard/cliche that almost every other film has borrowed since, it was a masterpiece in its own right

Alien 3 rode on the wave of those two films and was going to always be 'half-decent' regardless

A prequel will try to get back to the 'roots' which is what Alien 3 has done already.. so I doubt anything will be new.

Anyone who has been an Alien fan for 20 years will know that they just can't get it right.. not even the computer games.. if they 'don't get it' then theres no point getting our hopes up

Well in the leaflet that comes with the blu ray anthology , Scott says there is a big surprise in store - quote - "something even more dangerous that you haven't seen yet"

Now hopefully this can be something amazing, but I fear it will turn out to be some shíte like the aliens are really for the greater good or are just tools used by some higher species ..

what makes the space jockey etc in Alien great is the mystery..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd love to see variations on the Xenomorph species like some different breeds. I had a dream before of a Facehugger with it's skin having black ends on it's limbs and tail, like it was extremely poisonous and agile.

*shudder*

That was a creepy dream, actually.

I think the skull face design is related to how in the director's cut of Alien it shows how the xenos reproduce. In that cut of the film they harvest human bodies in these sort of cocoons which transform you into one of them. The idea was dropped for the cinematic release and for the sequel 'Aliens' they decided to go down a completely different route (face huggers/implant attack).

Is this true ?, how is it supposed to transform them into Aliens this way ??

surely it was just an instinctual reaction for the Xeno to do this, even though there were no eggs knocking about..

the_monkey wrote: »
    Is this true ?, how is it supposed to transform them into Aliens this way ??

surely it was just an instinctual reaction for the Xeno to do this, even though there were no eggs knocking about..

no in the original film, the life cycle was intended to be established that the first victim would be transformed into an egg using their corpse and the 2nd taken alive to be turned into an alien via the normal process.

Hence why Brett is killed but Dallas is taken and the dialogue emphasize *no blood*

It was cut for pacing issues and partially restored in the director's cut.

The queen was introduced in Aliens.

Honestly considering how much of the alien physiology draws from its hosts over the four original films, one could argue both lifecycles apply, as the first is a process to reproduce without a queen on a small limited scale while the 2nd with the Queen is the established mass produced variation.

its one of the few forever tormenting questions for fans.

The other big one being where the hell did 2 facehuggers come from in alien 3???

The other big one being where the hell did 2 facehuggers come from in alien 3???

I watched it last night (special edition, not the cinema one). I don't think it specifies that there were two huggers. They find the corpse of one hugger near the dead cow thing, but I don't think you see the body of the one that got Ripley.
    I've heard people speculate that the same hugger carried two eggs, one queen, one drone. Apparently huggers will occasionaly have a queen egg in addition to the usual one. In cases where there is already an established queen, the new queen embryo is killed by one of the xenos.

I watched it last night (special edition, not the cinema one). I don't think it specifies that there were two huggers. They find the corpse of one hugger near the dead cow thing, but I don't think you see the body of the one that got Ripley.
    I've heard people speculate that the same hugger carried two eggs, one queen, one drone. Apparently huggers will occasionaly have a queen egg in addition to the usual one. In cases where there is already an established queen, the new queen embryo is killed by one of the xenos.

In the graphic novel of Alien 3 it's actually an Alien incubating inside Newt that crawls out of Newt through her mouth after she dies in the crash and goes into Ripley as she is still alive but unconcious.

Those are two variations.

-Originally Galvasean it was meant to be a special kind of facehugger and that the 'dog' alien looked the way it did not because it came from an animal but because it was actually a preatorian alien.

evidence of this is the updated model design of the facehugger and how merchandising advertised it as a queen facehugger via toys, video games and magazines in the run up to the film. But the notion of a 'dog' alien has proven so popular since that this has been dropped to the side.

Equally as Mickeroo says there was also the plotline that it came from Newt who had been impreginated back in Aliens. Though this is a seriously dodgy retcon to pull off and with the script of the film constantly fluctuating in the run up and into production its no surprise that in the end an explanation was simply buried.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

They probably just got a lift on the alien queen from the second film. Thats what I always assumed.

• Advertisement

Chalk it up along with the Space Jockey as another great mystery of the Alien universe?

Generally when they go into too much detail explaining things they end up making a mess, like why a Xenomorph skull was present in the Predator's ship. A nice easter egg eventually evolved into a very poor spinoff film franchise.

Advertisement