Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono is a Wanker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Yeah there is thousands who forgot there roots.

But they don't spend there spare time Preaching to us and telling us how things should be done.

Yeah the third world thing is awlful, Last time i checked there was people dying on trollies in the A+E, children going to school in damp prefabs, bankers robbing us blind, childrens wards getting closed, cancer units closing......no not in Calcutta, but right here in Ireland.......yet BONO wants us to send all our money to Africa, while his is tucked away nicely in some tax haven. The man is cracker jackers.

All the problems you enumerated tbh are basically the responsiblity of the Irish government.What would be your suggestion ...he should give 10% of their earnings to Ireland to show his love.
    The fact that he is advocating a more equitable world is in Ireland's and the Worlds long term interest...he gives some of his earnings to his cause... and appeals( not coerce) to people to do the same.If you dont share his convictions ...ignore them and not criticise them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

But how much are we owed by 3rd world nations then?

We'll soon be the ones borrowing from them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

procure11 wrote: »
    All the problems you enumerated tbh are basically the responsiblity of the Irish government.What would be your suggestion ...he should give 10% of their earnings to Ireland to show his love.
    The fact that he is advocating a more equitable world is in Ireland's and the Worlds long term interest...he gives some of his earnings to his cause... and appeals( not coerce) to people to do the same.If you dont share his convictions ...ignore them and not criticise them.

Why should i ignore them, ignoring problems in this Country seems to be norm these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

But how much are we owed by 3rd world nations then?

I don't know exactly but we are owed something as Ireland is a member of The Paris Club.

Why should i ignore them, ignoring problems in this Country seems to be norm these days.

Never said anything about ignoring problems......difference between convictions and problems dear friend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I don't know exactly but we are owed something as Ireland is a member of The Paris Club.
    According to the Paris Clubs site we only had loans given to Russia & Nigeria and theyve been fully paid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what about these other artists that don't pay tax, people like mary black http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mary-black-gets-taxfree-artist-status-128868.html

They have the good sense not to dispense financial advise to taxpayers

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

procure11 wrote: »
    Never said anything about ignoring problems......difference between convictions and problems dear friend...

No problem, but i'm not the ignoring type, if he wants to go around preaching, not paying TAX when minimum wage workers pay tax, well he can go....well you know.

No problem, but i'm not the ignoring type, if he wants to go around preaching, not paying TAX when minimum wage workers pay tax, well he can go....well you know.

well you know...I know he can go on living a life he deserves considering he has something tangible to offer the world..( Ireland inclusive).
    He doesnt need to answer to apparent jealousy and people who see in him what they desperately seek in themselves futilly..

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭conti

galwayrush wrote: »
    no one was forced to go to their concerts and buy their albums and make them rich.

When major record labels and PR have a such monopoly and control over mass media like they do, I think you'll find alot of people were forced into it, they just don't realise it.

I am actually tired of hating him, he is an easy target but the reasons as to why he's such a cnut need to be pointed out.
    Some balance you know?
    In case people make a martyr out of this coke head while honest hard-working people will always struggle to make ends meet with their lives and never know the OTT benefits reaped by the man himself.

A few years back I was working at a stage show as assistant stage manager, the guy I was working for had a great portfolio of work, film directing, production and most significant to this story, he was stage manager at the opening of the special Olympics. I can only imagine how stressful that was, especially being broadcast live.
    Anyway he said the day was running smoothly enough until it was time for U2 to do their thing, there was no sign of them and no word from any of their crew as to why they were late.
    To cut a long story short they eventually showed up mad late, having caused a few cancellations for them to sound check and get set up, one of them being a rehearsed dance performance by a group of special needs children. It was bad enough after all their hard work and practice for the ceremony that they were cancelled to make way for the High Kings of Irish music, Bono threw a wobbler when confronted about having to have the schedule re-arranged at their convenience. I was told I wouldn't believe the words coming from his mouth.
    "Who f**k do you guys think you're dealing with? Do you think you're in a position to tell us what to do?"
    Apparently it nearly resulted in a full scale punch-out between about 20 people including stage mangers and U2 crew!

2 more quick points:
    Having his hat flown first class from London to Italy because he left it behind?

A full court case in 2005 over getting his a few items of clothing back pertaining to an incident in the 80's?

I'd love to hear justification for all of these!

Not to mention how fcuking terrible every single note of over produced "music" is they've made since 1993!

"yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah"

(pause for a beat)

"yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah"

Now that's how you end a song ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bytesize

Dudess wrote: »
    Why does it? I'd have thought it begins where it's most needed - and by god, it's far more needed in certain other countries besides Ireland.

Why is it a "fact"?

Although people who drone "typical Irish begrudgery" every time someone criticise U2/Bono... are *****.

Almost EVERY SINGLE ONE of your posts on this site is pure DRIVEL and WRECKS my head. I am sure I am not alone in thinking this either.

The fact is, this country gave him and the rest of U2 their starting point and everything they needed to get off the ground, but as soon as the opportunity arises, he screws it over by not paying tax. That alone isn't even the kicker, the fact that he then turns around and preaches about what the people who pay tax and the government who feck around with said tax, should do with it... THAT is what grinds the gears.

If you don't put up [pay tax] then shut up bono...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭helios12

Slightly off topic: 'The Edge' is also a gob****e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

helios12 wrote: »

True.

Hate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

conti wrote: »

Anyway he said the day was running smoothly enough until it was time for U2 to do their thing, there was no sign of them and no word from any of their crew as to why they were late.
    To cut a long story short they eventually showed up mad late, having caused a few cancellations for them to sound check and get set up, one of them being a rehearsed dance performance by a group of special needs children. It was bad enough after all their hard work and practice for the ceremony that they were cancelled to make way for the High Kings of Irish music, Bono threw a wobbler when confronted about having to have the schedule re-arranged at their convenience. I was told I wouldn't believe the words coming from his mouth.
    "Who f**k do you guys think you're dealing with? Do you think you're in a position to tell us what to do?"
    Apparently it nearly resulted in a full scale punch-out between about 20 people including stage mangers and U2 crew!

2 more quick points:
    Having his hat flown first class from London to Italy because he left it behind?

So there, I am, in Sri Lanka, formerly Ceylon, at about 3 o'clock in the morning, looking for one thousand brown M&Ms to fill a brandy glass, or Bono wouldn't go on stage that night (the big wanker!).

So, Elvis pops his head 'round the door, and mentions there's a little sweet shop on the edge of town. So - we go. And - it's closed. So there's me, and Bono, and Elvis, breaking into that little sweet shop, eh. Well, instead of a guard dog, they've got this bloody great big bengal tiger. I managed to take out the tiger with a can of mace, but the shopkeeper and his son that's a different story altogether.....I had to beat them to death with their own shoes. Nasty business, really, but sure enough I got the M&Ms, and Bono went on stage and did a great show.
    Don't believe every bit of bollox you read or hear
    conti wrote: »
    A full court case in 2005 over getting his a few items of clothing back pertaining to an incident in the 80's?

I'd love to hear justification for all of these!

My understanding is this:

She stole items belonging to him and the band (things of value, his Stetson that he wore a lot, other sh1t) and tried to flog them on ebay.

U2 won the case to have the items returned, but didn't seek any damages from her.

Sounds fair to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

helios12 wrote: »
    True.

Hate him.

I hate his hats and those stupid bandana things he wears.

Hey Dave, we all know your feckin' bald, get over it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Dudess wrote: »
    If I could live in another country to avoid paying taxes, I would. I don't see why he should live in Ireland just because he's Irish.

Lots of Irish people work/live abroad and don't pay taxes here, and they're not all mega rich either.

Diplomats, members of the Defence Forces and An Garda Síochána on appointments in excess of 12 months (to name but a few) don't pay taxes here and avail of other perks such as bringing home VRT free car's & other goods.

Bono, I don't like or dislike the fellow. But I dislike people who have nothing better to do than to see him as an easy target for a rant while ignoring everyone else legally avoiding paying taxes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Man i've had enough of this prick preaching to us, when you start paying TAX here you prick, then you can have your say. Rant over.

Aren't you been a bit hard on him? That guys has given hundreds to charity

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

uhm...what's this smell...oh i see, it's something very common in ireland...
    guinness? no! chips? no, it's:
    begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

YAWN.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Fair play to Boner (and the rest). The guy was a finglas scumbag who made something of himself. I wouldn't pay tax either to keep this banana republic afloat if I had the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What about the rest of the band? Should the other guys pay tax in the UK?

This thread sticksits ugly head up now and again and its getting fvcking boring.

Stop reading The Sun and The Star and you'll be ok.

Christ!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Lots of Irish people work/live abroad and don't pay taxes here, and they're not all mega rich either.

Diplomats, members of the Defence Forces and An Garda Síochána on appointments in excess of 12 months (to name but a few) don't pay taxes here and avail of other perks such as bringing home VRT free car's & other goods

Since when did they preach to the Irish people/govt to give money to third world countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭dats_right

Diplomats, members of the Defence Forces and An Garda Síochána on appointments in excess of 12 months (to name but a few) don't pay taxes here and avail of other perks such as bringing home VRT free car's & other goods.

Bono, I don't like or dislike the fellow. But I dislike people who have nothing better to do than to see him as an easy target for a rant while ignoring everyone else legally avoiding paying taxes here.

You're entirely missing the point my friend. You correctly point out that many others Irish citizens quite legally don't pay tax in this jurisdiction either. But the crucial difference is that not too many of these lower paid employees you refer or indeed the high net worth tax exile category that Bono falls into have the sheer audacity to simultaneously run a campaign demanding that Governments (including our own) increase aid to third world countries, et al. whilst at the same time avoid paying their taxes to that Government. Because it is obvious that if a particular country's tax revenue falls so too does their ability to provide Aid to developing countries.

Listen, I'm not and I don't think most people on this thread are condemning Bono for merely avoiding paying taxes in this jurisdiction, to be fair nobody no matter how rich enjoyes paying taxes and I can understand that. However, the real issue is the hypocrisy and double standards at play in avoiding paying your dues whilst at the same time demanding that others especially Governments do! Some people, myself included feel that if you are going to 'talk the talk you must also walk the walk' and by avoiding paying taxes he can certainly not be said to be walking the walk!

dats_right wrote: »
    You're entirely missing the point my friend. You correctly point out that many others Irish citizens quite legally don't pay tax in this jurisdiction either. But the crucial difference is that not too many of these lower paid employees you refer or indeed the high net worth tax exile category that Bono falls into have the sheer audacity to simultaneously run a campaign demanding that Governments (including our own) increase aid to third world countries, et al. whilst at the same time avoid paying their taxes to that Government. Because it is obvious that if a particular country's tax revenue falls so too does their ability to provide Aid to developing countries.

Listen, I'm not and I don't think most people on this thread are condemning Bono for merely avoiding paying taxes in this jurisdiction, to be fair nobody no matter how rich enjoyes paying taxes and I can understand that. However, the real issue is the hypocrisy and double standards at play in avoiding paying your dues whilst at the same time demanding that others especially Governments do! Some people, myself included feel that if you are going to 'talk the talk you must also walk the walk' and by avoiding paying taxes he can certainly not be said to be walking the walk!
    But would he be walking the walk in his own way since he actually does donate his own money to these causes?

But would he be walking the walk in his own way since he actually does donate his own money to these causes?

Then don't preach to the Irish state about it which depends on all our taxes to survive.

gurramok wrote: »
    Then don't preach to the Irish state about it which depends on all our taxes to survive.
    But Ireland doesnt have any 3rd world debt to cancel.Its the bigger world leaders he preaches to since theyre the debt holders

But Ireland doesnt have any 3rd world debt to cancel.Its the bigger world leaders he preaches to since theyre the debt holders

You sure about that?

And whats worse is that he did it after the limit was put on the Artists Exemption scheme!

We do give a % of our income to the Third World and that itself depends on taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dats_right wrote: »

I can't disagree with a word you say, but when someone just comes out with "Bono is a wanker" type of statement, be that here on boards.ie or on the street I 'tend to dismiss those people as ignorant.

I also hate how he preaches to us, I went to the concert on Saturday night and had the time of my life however had he started his sh*t I've little doubt I'd have got up and went for a piss instead of listening to his crap.

But if I was going to post up a rant like "bono is a wanker" I'd have at least tried to back up my statement with a substantive argument as to why I thought he was a wanker instead of hoping someone would step up and do the hard work for me.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    You sure about that?

And whats worse is that he did it after the limit was put on the Artists Exemption scheme!

We do give a % of our income to the Third World and that itself depends on taxes.
    Yep.We only took part in 3 loans to 3rd world countries and theyve been fully repaid.(The US for example is part of over 300 loans and even the dutch are part of over 200)

I guess you mean the move to holland.Thats just smart business.

If he had his way though we wouldnt have to send that income % since they could support themselves without repaying debt

Advertisement