Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono is a Wanker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I'd say he doesn't.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

so by most of your reasoning bob geldof is a wanker along with james joyce sam beckett oscar wilde and all other artistic diaspora?

Nope just Bono.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭blubloblu

Why?

Because their is no evidence of it.

U2 is their biggest earner and they make damn sure their money it is well outta this Island, because they don't want to contribute to the upkeep of it.

If i am wrong i apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get how U2 contribute to Ireland's image - just because they're Irish. Do Coldplay contribute to England's image?
    And people who only think of drink and violence when they think of Ireland... are leaning in the racist direction (economic mismanagement - well I'd understand that, seeing as it's topical).
    That's mainly because the English were never loved and adorned the world over. If you remember, in the 90's and early noughties, if you went abroad the fact you were Irish was nearly the best thing about you. U2 marketed this fact no doubt and clearly milked it. It's not the same thing. Also, there isn't much internationally-acclaimed, know-the-world-over bands, especially ones from Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

If I could live in another country to avoid paying taxes, I would. I don't see why he should live in Ireland just because he's Irish.

He should pay Irish taxes if hes lobbying governments to write off third world debt. People seem to forget its ordinary citizens/taxpayers that will pay for that. By reducing his tax burden through availing of tax avoidance, he is passing the cost of his wishes onto others, others who can less afford the increased taxes the aid programmes require.

Thats why hes a hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

so by most of your reasoning bob geldof is a wanker along with james joyce sam beckett oscar wilde and all other artistic diaspora?

james joyce - repressed catholic guilt ****, in a darkened room, under the sheets, feeling hot shame.

sam beckett - minimalist ****. Short, concise, and a bit ironic.

oscar wilde - too easy!

Huh. I think I may have found a niche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭takeda shingen

well i think he has highlighted some great causes. there is 3 other band members aswell. Zooropa is a brilliant album which i re bought on c.d recently. Passengers is outstanding. Maybe pokerface you could download it illegally and not pay the taxes on it. i dont think anyone here would give their money away if the could get away with it. I certainly wouldnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

We're talking about Bono. Who mentioned any of the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

<INSERT STANDARD "NO TAX ON THE HORIZON" JOKE HERE>

• Advertisement

MikeC101 wrote: »
    james joyce - repressed catholic guilt ****, in a darkened room, under the sheets, feeling hot shame.

sam beckett - minimalist ****. Short, concise, and a bit ironic.

oscar wilde - too easy!

Huh. I think I may have found a niche!

James Joyce Jerkoff

well i think he has highlighted some great causes. there is 3 other band members aswell. Zooropa is a brilliant album which i re bought on c.d recently. Passengers is outstanding. Maybe pokerface you could download it illegally and not pay the taxes on it. i dont think anyone here would give their money away if the could get away with it. I certainly wouldnt.

No i buy my albums i'm not afraid to give my bit to society.

orourkeda wrote: »
    We're talking about Bono. Who mentioned any of the others

Its called a comparison. Used to illustrate a point

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Because their is no evidence of it.

U2 is their biggest earner and they make damn sure their money it is well outta this Island, because they don't want to contribute to the upkeep of it.

If i am wrong i apologise.
    But most of U2s earnings dont come from ireland so why should we get all the tax from other countries spending?

They would get taxed on their own personal income(to an extent) and businesses based here such as The Clarence Hotel

No i buy my albums i'm not afraid to give my bit to society.

well done

I don't get how U2 contribute to Ireland's image - just because they're Irish. Do Coldplay contribute to England's image?
    And people who only think of drink and violence when they think of Ireland... are leaning in the racist direction (economic mismanagement - well I'd understand that, seeing as it's topical).

U2 are actually Irelands second largest brand after Guinness. They contribute to Irelands image because they have used their "Irishness" in the past to help them. Coldplay haven't branded themselves as "English" per se. A better comaprison woild be Oasis, they similarly carry the brand of Manchester with them.

Its called a comparison. Used to illustrate a point

I'm making the point that nobody insulted any of these names before you mentioned them

But most of U2s earnings dont come from ireland so why should we get all the tax from other countries spending?

They would get taxed on their own personal income(to an extent) and businesses based here such as The Clarence Hotel

What about the earnings that do come from Ireland?? TAXFREE.

I'm making the point that nobody insulted any of these names before you mentioned them

you have just called James Joyce a jerkoff

you have just called James Joyce a jerkoff

yeah. in response to a previous post about guilty ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

gurramok wrote: »
    He shouldn't preach to the Irish about giving money from the coffers when he himself deliberately moved his earnings abroad to avoid taxes in which a proportion give money for his cause.

Thats the crux of the issue with U2.

I dont think you can judge him if you are not in his position...A lot more people would have totally forgotten their roots .

Yes ..he takes advantage of Tax incentives elsewhere..( not particularly new)...but he has the decency to always identify his irishness globally.
    He is a very decent guy in my opinion...and most people have not mentioned the numerous charities/causes he and the group supports in Ireland.
    What do you from him...his blood????

I dont think we should begrudge him because he is sensibly maximising his profits/talent....what would you have done in his stead???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

jumpguy wrote: »
    Also, there isn't much internationally-acclaimed, know-the-world-over bands, especially ones from Ireland.

Horseshit. Here are some "internationally-acclaimed, know-the-world-over bands" off the top of my head that aren't from Ireland:

AC/DC
    The Rolling Stones
    Aerosmith
    Bon Jovi
    Deep Purple
    Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Genesis
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    Pet Shop Boys
    Status Quo
    Eurythmics
    Scorpions
    Boston
    The Beach Boys
    Def Leppard
    Duran Duran
    Iron Maiden
    Kiss
    Mötley Crüe
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Oasis
    Pearl Jam
    The Police
    R.E.M.

and many more.

procure11 wrote: »
    I dont think you can judge him if you are not in his position...A lot more people would have totally forgotten their roots .

Yes ..he takes advantage of Tax incentives elsewhere..( not particularly new)...but he has the decency to always identify his irishness globally.
    He is a very decent guy in my opinion...and most people have not mentioned the numerous charities/causes he and the group supports in Ireland.

I dont think we should begrudge him because he is sensibly maximising his profits/talent....what would you have done in his stead???

We want him to come on the stage, sing and then f*ck off home

Yeah, but the amount of revenue local business', hotels, the GAA and the government in that subsequent tax contributed much more than just what tax does. Wake up, that concert was a great thing for the city and boosted it's image internationally too.

But if Elevation Partners was a listed company here, they could have paid more. However U2 are a business, and all businesses want to be as tax "efficient" as possible. While it is legal, is is certainly morally questionable when U2, and particularly Bono, align themselves with crusades which will inevitabley mean ordinary folk will pay more tax.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind as much if they didn't do the whole aid/debt stuff. There would be a refreshing honesty about it if that were the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Horseshit. Here are some "internationally-acclaimed, know-the-world-over bands" off the top of my head that aren't from Ireland:

AC/DC
    The Rolling Stones
    Aerosmith
    Bon Jovi
    Deep Purple
    Eagles
    Fleetwood Mac
    Genesis
    Guns N' Roses
    Metallica
    Pet Shop Boys
    Status Quo
    Eurythmics
    Scorpions
    Boston
    The Beach Boys
    Def Leppard
    Duran Duran
    Iron Maiden
    Kiss
    Mötley Crüe
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Oasis
    Pearl Jam
    The Police
    R.E.M.

and many more.
    Yeh, in proportion to the amount of riff-raff that comes in and out of the charts every day, that isn't alot. Also, you seem to disregarding my other points. U2 also had "The Irish Factor".

We want him to come on the stage, sing and then f*ck off home

How old are you?

Yeh, in proportion to the amount of riff-raff that comes in and out of the charts every day, that isn't alot. Also, you seem to disregarding my other points. U2 also had "The Irish Factor".

Irish factor is b*llocks. Theyre a band

How old are you?

procure11 wrote: »

Yeah there is thousands who forgot there roots.

But they don't spend there spare time Preaching to us and telling us how things should be done.

Yeah the third world thing is awlful, Last time i checked there was people dying on trollies in the A+E, children going to school in damp prefabs, bankers robbing us blind, childrens wards getting closed, cancer units closing......no not in Calcutta, but right here in Ireland.......yet BONO wants us to send all our money to Africa, while his is tucked away nicely in some tax haven. The man is cracker jackers.

• Advertisement

how many fingers am i holding up?

Advertisement