Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono is a Wanker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yeah there is thousands who forgot there roots.

But they don't spend there spare time Preaching to us and telling us how things should be done.

Yeah the third world thing is awlful, Last time i checked there was people dying on trollies in the A+E, children going to school in damp prefabs, bankers robbing us blind, childrens wards getting closed, cancer units closing......no not in Calcutta, but right here in Ireland.......yet BONO wants us to send all our money to Africa, while his is tucked away nicely in some tax haven. The man is cracker jackers.

I'm sure he does a lot of decent work behind it all but he kind of spoils it with the preaching.

how many fingers am i holding up?

Is this going somewhere? Can we just get the insults out of the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

jumpguy wrote: »
    Yeh, in proportion to the amount of riff-raff that comes in and out of the charts every day, that isn't alot.

That list doesn't include bigger bands that are no longer together including The Beatles. I'd say there's at least two billion record sales attributed to the artists on my list, you can't deny that's quite a bit.
    Also, you seem to disregarding my other points. U2 also had "The Irish Factor".

That's not a factor overseas. Nobody cares about their nationality beyond a small minority of native Irish people and some Irish-Americans. Otherwise, they were just another band.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

orourkeda wrote: »
    I'm sure he does a lot of decent work behind it all but he kind of spoils it with the preaching.

Very true, but the whole cancel third world debt thing, with tax-payers money, which he is not, is kinda insulting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭takeda shingen

Is this going somewhere? Can we just get the insults out of the way?

No we cant. you are they most juvenile person ive come across here. you can say someone does a lot of good work behind the scenes yet RUINS it by talking and encouraging people to support good causes. Thats contradictory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

U2 are actually Irelands second largest brand after Guinness. They contribute to Irelands image because they have used their "Irishness" in the past to help them. Coldplay haven't branded themselves as "English" per se. A better comaprison woild be Oasis, they similarly carry the brand of Manchester with them.

Are you honestly( with a straight face...if I might add) suggesting that U2 exhibiting their irishness had anything to do with their success....Absolutely NOT!!!!.They are a very talented group and their music is appreciated/enjoyed across nations.
    Tbh..they are loved for their music,inclination towards social justice/equity with their Irishness coming a far third/last.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

great irish band???

but they're not irish *except for Larry they're west brits

did you ever hear adam clayton talking...you'd swear he just stepped off the boat from england

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Yeah there is thousands who forgot there roots.

But they don't spend there spare time Preaching to us and telling us how things should be done.

Yeah the third world thing is awlful, Last time i checked there was people dying on trollies in the A+E, children going to school in damp prefabs, bankers robbing us blind, childrens wards getting closed, cancer units closing......no not in Calcutta, but right here in Ireland.......yet BONO wants us to send all our money to Africa, while his is tucked away nicely in some tax haven. The man is cracker jackers.
    So he should give the government more money to give to the banks while they still happily cut all these services anyway because of their own misconduct?

And I could be wrong with this, but has he every actually been telling people to give money with his preaching?(well I dont mean during a benefit or telethon.Every celeb is guilty of those ones). All the things I can remember were about petitions,campaigns you dont donate too and getting rid of 3rd world debt not sending money to help it

Very true, but the whole cancel third world debt thing, with tax-payers money, which he is not, is kinda insulting.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

fryup wrote: »
    great irish band???

but they're not irish *except for Larry they're west brits

did you ever hear adam clayton talking...you'd swear he just stepped off the boat from england

I think it's well past time for people to be using the term West Brits.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

No we cant. you are they most juvenile person ive come across here. you can say someone does a lot of good work behind the scenes yet RUINS it by talking and encouraging people to support good causes. Thats contradictory

I'm saying the way he goes about it is condescending in the extreme. He is a musician after all not some moral crusader and he should remember that its music that keeps him in the limelight. He should concentrate on this and leave politics to politicians

So he should give the government more money to give to the banks while they still happily cut all these services anyway because of their own misconduct?

And I could be wrong with this, but has he every actually been telling people to give money with his preaching?(well I dont mean during a benefit or telethon.Every celeb is guilty of those ones). All the things I can remember were about petitions,campaigns you dont donate too and getting rid of 3rd world debt not sending money to help it

Do you expect us to pay the banks on his behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

procure11 wrote: »
    Are you honestly( with a straight face...if I might add) suggesting that U2 exhibiting their irishness had anything to do with their success....Absolutely NOT!!!!.They are a very talented group and their music is appreciated/enjoyed across nations.
    Tbh..they are loved for their music,inclination towards social justice/equity with their Irishness coming a far third/last.

Yes I am. It may have only been a miniscule part compared to the music but it was present. I'm not saying that if the music was poor they could use the crutch of their irishness to get by either. If the four lads were French I'd be saying the same thing about their Frenchiness. Because of the music and to a lesser extent, their Irishness, has an appeal to some people.

I'm saying the way he goes about it is condescending in the extreme. He is a musician after all not some moral crusader and he should remember that its music that keeps him in the limelight. He should concentrate on this and leave politics to politicians

the politicians dont seem to be doing a very good job of it lately....

I have to give it every week out of my wages without choice, why shouldn't he.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

leave politics to politicians

That hasn't worked out too well in this country.:rolleyes:

Do you expect us to pay the banks on his behalf
    Do the 3rd world have any debt with us?

He has the choice so fair play to him

the politicians dont seem to be doing a very good job of it lately....

Thats why bono's not a politician

Do the 3rd world have any debt with us?

Every country has debt

• Advertisement

He personally does.Not every week but as a resident he has to file a tax return.
    Its the U2 brand thats based outside of Ireland.Its a business and like every smart business it maximises its profits.
    People really need to understand that Bono is part of the band U2 but doesnt = the business U2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,343 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

What about the earnings that do come from Ireland?? TAXFREE.

what about these other artists that don't pay tax, people like mary black http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mary-black-gets-taxfree-artist-status-128868.html

Hes doing worse, hes asking governments to spend money on third world countries when they could be better spending that money at home. It wouldn't be as bad if he were looking for people to donate as they would have a choice with what they do with their disposable income. However we all pay tax (apart from Elevation Partners) so are compelled to donate to this cause if Governments cave to his petitioning. I am thankful to say they haven't.

He has the choice so fair play to him

Yes he does and thats why he should stop the preaching, he decides not to contribute finacially, but wants to change the way the Country is been run

Every country has debt
    I got mixed up.
    I thought you were saying that we would have to pay the 3rd worlds debt if its written off.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    what about these other artists that don't pay tax, people like mary black http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mary-black-gets-taxfree-artist-status-128868.html

Haven't noticed any of them recently in the White house and sending letters to the G8 summit to gets debts cancelled with TAXPAYERS money.

I got mixed up.
    I thought you were saying that we would have to pay the 3rd worlds debt if its written off.

We would. If the debt is written off then we wouldn't get that money back. Therefore Ireland loses income and the shortfall would have to be breached with increased taxes.

Hes doing worse, hes asking governments to spend money on third world countries when they could be better spending that money at home. It wouldn't be as bad if he were looking for people to donate as they would have a choice with what they do with their disposable income. However we all pay tax (apart from Elevation Partners) so are compelled to donate to this cause if Governments cave to his petitioning. I am thankful to say they haven't.
    This I wouldnt actually care about until I see where the moneys not being used.If its being diverted from esential services then id be angry.Diverted from usual government reckless spending and expenses then all the better

We would. If the debt is written off then we wouldn't get that money back. Therefore Ireland loses income and the shortfall would have to be breached with increased taxes.
    But how much are we owed by 3rd world nations then?

• Advertisement

He personally does.Not every week but as a resident he has to file a tax return.
    Its the U2 brand thats based outside of Ireland.Its a business and like every smart business it maximises its profits.
    People really need to understand that Bono is part of the band U2 but doesnt = the business U2

Haven't seen Larry, the Edge or Mr Clayton preaching recently.

Advertisement