Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a Homeless Person Outside My Office

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

She should be reported to the Immigration police, we have enough problems in this country instead of having homeless illegal immigrants.

The cost of deporting her versus the cost of just allowing her stay here means it just isn't worth it to deport her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

In Miami last summer we parked the car and crossed the main road and walked under the monorail, I saw a homeless guy luyin on the ground. It was hot and sticky out. The mall was on the other side. Myself and my mate went to an arcade and some people coming out gave us free tickets to use everything for free for the rest of the nite. sound. We got food, I ordered a huge plate of ribs. Couldnt finish them for some reason. I carried them around with me while we were in the arcade, planned on eating them back in the house.

On the way back I remembered the homeless guy. He needed the ribs more than me but he would also need something to drink and some paper towels for the ribs. So i run into wendys and then I walk thru the green area under the bridge and hes in the middle of the path, hes looking at me while Im walking towards him and his eyes light up when i hand him the stuff and he smiles and thanks me.

Hes on his own, no friends. its hot, there are no hostels in the area. It must be tough bein homeless in Miami, no luxury of air conditioning, no escape from the humidity. They say the best place to be homeless is in California if you can afford the bus ticket

Homeless people in Ireland have it so much better than Americans. If someone refuses something they obviously arent that bad off, prob just wanted money. a full belly is empty later on in the day when a free sandwich will come in handy

I took a 25hr bus journey from NYC to Nashville. America has a huge homeless problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

You don't make friends with salad!!
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

And for our German friends...

" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

golum wrote: »
    Is that from the bible?

You might be better off riding a few beggars than spouting your home-spun wisdom

I doubt the poster wants to risk getting STDs

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

The office I work in opens out onto a footpath. There's a homeless girl across the street who's been there for the past few weeks. I don't know where she's from but she looks like she could be south american (or similar) and in her early 20s.
    The last few days I thought I was going mad as I swore I could hear a recorder and had no-idea where it was coming from but one of the chaps I work with who sits a little closer to the window tells me she's playing the recorder now (so I'm not going mad- yay).

I wonder if I should offer her a cup of tea or coffee (there's plenty here in the office) or would that just be unwelcome?

Adopt her :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Seen some homeless guy in Galway last year and he shouted "please give money for drugs and alcohol" least he was honest about it like!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Buy here some diamonds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I know this girl from working around Grafton st south anne st
    definitely has mental health issues and looks totally "lost"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

Little bitch,
    Next time you go shopping at lunch time buy yourself a small fire extinguisher .
    Come back and set her on fire !!!!!
    See does she want your help ............

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Hmmm, given that some people on here see the mirth in homelessness and exploitation I'm glad the Celtic Tiger has come to an end.

How terrible would it be that those who are mocking this homeless person, and the decent human being that is the original poster, might actually find themselves in similar situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

A woman begs outside your office and you offer her some food and drink?

Shes breaking the law and you rewarded here. I don't know who's worse.

But get here moved and arrested if possible.

I take it she was foreign, begging claiming the dole and getting the place as the "spoilt child" in the governments eyes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Where does the OP say she was begging?

Jesus some of you people should try reading the posts before commenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭dny123456

I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap.

Cringe. OP, no-one likes to be looked down upon. That has to be most patronizing thing you could have said.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Outside my office is this sad panda...

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2246/ryjo.jpg

Should I bring him some shoots and leaves perhaps?
    For some reason, that picture makes me feel sad :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Bono Vox wrote: »

I take it she was foreign, begging claiming the dole and getting the place as the "spoilt child" in the governments eyes!

what law?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Bono Vox wrote: »

Who's a moaning michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Op i know how exactly. I seen a shabbily dressed person at a bus shelter one rainy night with just a couple of bags. i felt sorry for her and tried to give her but she wouldn't take it. She just kept saying 'look i'm not begging i'm waiting for my bus' no matter how much i tried to get her food.

Graditude eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

here's a guy on henry st at the moment outside mark's with highlights....

that was a total WTF!!?? moment!

what would you choose,
    a bed for the week or a new do from peter marks??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

punchdrunk wrote: »
    here's a guy on henry st at the moment outside mark's with highlights....

that was a total WTF!!?? moment!

what would you choose,
    a bed for the week or a new do from peter marks??

New do from Peter Marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Am I the only one wondering what the OP did with the extra grub *stomach rumble*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

Fair play to you for the kindness. And she had the cheek to say you were't offering real help? Even if she didnt want it she could at least say thanks for the gesture....

If it was me in that situation, the girl would have found the contents of the salad poured over her ungrateful head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

OP she has told you that you werent offerring her real help , did you bother to find out what she thought was real help. €2.39 to appease your charitable urges and have something to drone on about here . Good on you. Go out and ask her what she really needs , it could be anything , lets see if you are as charitable if she tells you she needs a room for the night or money to get home. Its easy to offer a token of charity , we all do it , the few coins in the cup the change in the poor box but when we are confronted with a real need then our own comfort takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

OP - go back to her armed with a notepad and make a note of all distinguishing features - shabbiness of hair, state of shoes, smell etc.

I will do the same in my area and then we can complie them onto a deck of cards and challenge each other to a game of "top tramps"

Maybe she really needs a cuddle?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cigarettes are the universal ice breaker for homeless smokers. A smile and a chat or to diffuse violence and aggression. Worked for me the few times I felt like offering\buying them. Never refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

you bought a homeless person?... Im going to ebay to see if i can buy a flymo and a mexican gardener!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

You should do like Patrick Bateman in American Psycho....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭BlackandGold

Actually I was just thinking. When I go to Tesco I'm going to get a pasta salad for €1.40, would it be weird if I offered one to her?

No offence monkeyfudge but I wasn't trying to be clever or smart, just sincere.
    Some people, again as it's AH, think it's okay to lose all common sense and empathy.........

Haven't read the whole thread, but yes I would offer her something like a salad or sandwich. I bought a homeless guy a Big Mac meal before [it was the only place open and nearby at that time of night!].

Much better to feed them than give money.

Read some of the rest and I see she refused your input. Oh well. You tried. I wouldn't let it put you off. Some people feel extremely ashamed accepting "charity" off others. Yes some may see "beggars can't be choosers"[pardon the pun] but still - don't let this one experience put you off. And well done for your kindness. More of this please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

prinz wrote: »
    Give a man a fish and he eats for one day; Teach a man to fish and he can eat every day for the rest of his life.

Would you fish in the Liffey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Would you fish in the Liffey?

If he/she was short a few shopping trolleys I'm sure he would.

Big bucks in them, Bubbles isn't short of a few quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Carina

All this talk of salad,fish, smoothies, Liffey water mmmmm I'm starving PS where do we go for the ride after were fed ?

Advertisement