Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a Homeless Person Outside My Office

Options
  • 23-07-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭

The office I work in opens out onto a footpath. There's a homeless girl across the street who's been there for the past few weeks. I don't know where she's from but she looks like she could be south american (or similar) and in her early 20s.
    The last few days I thought I was going mad as I swore I could hear a recorder and had no-idea where it was coming from but one of the chaps I work with who sits a little closer to the window tells me she's playing the recorder now (so I'm not going mad- yay).

I wonder if I should offer her a cup of tea or coffee (there's plenty here in the office) or would that just be unwelcome?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is she good looking? Take her home and feed her

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get her a sandwich and a coffee when you go out for lunch.
    One of them readymade in plastic so she sees you haven't put drugs in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Outside my office is this sad panda...

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2246/ryjo.jpg

Should I bring him some shoots and leaves perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Magnus wrote: »

Actually I was just thinking. When I go to Tesco I'm going to get a pasta salad for €1.40, would it be weird if I offered one to her?

No offence monkeyfudge but I wasn't trying to be clever or smart, just sincere.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No offence monkeyfudge but I wasn't trying to be clever or smart, just sincere.

Ah, no. I wasn't having a go at you. I just thought it was funny that all I have outside my office is this sad little panda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Oh noes, someone broke Gummy Panda :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

That looks like a panda Jesus that fell off the cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Agamemnon wrote: »
    That looks like a panda Jesus that fell off the cross.

Blasphemy!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

It would be nice to get her lunch. Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Pop's Diner

Is she good looking? Take her home and feed her sausage

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

shoot and leave perhaps?

Best advice if ya ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 45,294 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

She's an undercover dectective watching your every move

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

The office I work in opens out onto a footpath. There's a homeless girl across the street who's been there for the past few weeks. I don't know where she's from but she looks like she could be south american (or similar) and in her early 20s.
    The last few days I thought I was going mad as I swore I could hear a recorder and had no-idea where it was coming from but one of the chaps I work with who sits a little closer to the window tells me she's playing the recorder now (so I'm not going mad- yay).

I wonder if I should offer her a cup of tea or coffee (there's plenty here in the office) or would that just be unwelcome?

Provided that you ask her not to beg outside your building in the future, yes, give her lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭YT

Actually I was just thinking. When I go to Tesco I'm going to get a pasta salad for €1.40, would it be weird if I offered one to her?

It wouldn't be weird at all.
    When I was working in town there was a few homeless people around that I got to know, whenever I could I would buy them a coffee or sandwich.
    I'm such a softie, I even bought savlon, plasters and socks for one guy cos his feet were in bits :(

Ask him if he was sexually harassed. Most panda's are usually sad due to sexual harassment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I though the title was the opening line of a musical comedy. Seriously though, I'm not sure what you should do. Would you end up feeding her every day?
    Ask him if he was sexually harassed. Most pandas are usually sad due to lack of sexual harassment.

FYP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Magnus wrote: »

Ask her first. There is a homeless kid outside our office too. She asked me would I get her a McDonalds. We're close to Grafton Street- so I got her one on my lunchtime walk. She was very surprised and totally thrilled with it.

People can be funny about accepting food from strangers- even when they're homeless. It would be polite to ask- if nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

He looks like he's been shot and left! A warning perhaps, maybe someone is trying to tell you something ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

tie a €20 note to a piece of string and hang out your office window
    every time shes tries to pick it up yank the string

hours of fun to be had

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I remember once giving money to a young homeless guy in Limerick and a few mins later seen him walking down a streer eating a bun from a bakers. Not what I would have bought but good to see he actually bought food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

Take her home, nag to her to clean her room and get a job.
    when she doesn't, kick her out!

That'll learn her!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

i think you should........but be careful she might think your easy pickings!

tie a €20 note to a piece of string and hang out your office window
    every time shes tries to pick it up yank the string

hours of fun to be had

Feck that! That lot will work just as hard if you use a fiver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

smccarrick wrote: »
    Ask her first. There is a homeless kid outside our office too. She asked me would I get her a McDonalds. We're close to Grafton Street- so I got her one on my lunchtime walk. She was very surprised and totally thrilled with it.

People can be funny about accepting food from strangers- even when they're homeless. It would be polite to ask- if nothing else.

+1. Imagine you gave her something she was allergic to and she got a reaction and died :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭uprising

Fair play OP for thinking of her, get her something, Good Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

DON'T GIVE HER ANYTHING.

This disgusting behaviour should be discouraged. If it becomes a nice profitable enterprise for her, you can bet she'll have a dozen cousins called Manuel on the next boat to Ireland. In this world, you should earn what you get.

She's probably collecting the dole on top of begging too.
    You are too nice for your own good OP, but this is a case of being cruel to be kind. She can get a job or get back to Mexico.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Napoli wrote: »
    DON'T GIVE HER ANYTHING.

This disgusting behaviour should be discouraged. If it becomes a nice profitable enterprise for her, you can bet she'll have a dozen cousins called Manuel on the next boat to Ireland. In this world, you should earn what you get.

She's probably collecting the dole on top of begging too.
    You are too nice for your own good OP, but this is a case of being cruel to be kind. She can get a job or get back to Mexico.

He didnt say she is begging,she never asked him for anything,he is just going to be a decent human being.
    Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

SHOT DOWN.. by a homeless chick!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Fcuk it man,at least you tried.Good on you.

Advertisement