Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

There's a Homeless Person Outside My Office

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Napoli wrote: »
    DON'T GIVE HER ANYTHING.

This disgusting behaviour should be discouraged. If it becomes a nice profitable enterprise for her, you can bet she'll have a dozen cousins called Manuel on the next boat to Ireland. In this world, you should earn what you get.

She's probably collecting the dole on top of begging too.
    You are too nice for your own good OP, but this is a case of being cruel to be kind. She can get a job or get back to Mexico.
    :oHarsh! edit: just read Kintaros last reply...not harsh- feck her!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Morale of the story: don't help people. People are assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

DON'T GIVE HER ANYTHING.

This disgusting behaviour should be discouraged. If it becomes a nice profitable enterprise for her, you can bet she'll have a dozen cousins called Manuel on the next boat to Ireland. In this world, you should earn what you get.

She's probably collecting the dole on top of begging too.
    You are too nice for your own good OP, but this is a case of being cruel to be kind. She can get a job or get back to Mexico.

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Amalgam wrote: »

.................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

Hey Jean-Luc....how's it hangin? :D

to the op..what did she mean by real help..did she mean as in put her up in a room or give here a place to stay?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarrassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

I wouldn't let it put you off doing similar in the future. The same thing happened to me once and I learned to ask first if I could get them anything before presuming that they would want/need food.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tell me where she is and i'll come urinate on her.

At least she refused them, nothing like having food you've bought for someone binned in front of you, along with a mild threat of violence to go with that, which happened to myself.

As smccarrick stated, always ask first..

Oh and some homeless people aren't very nice, which is sometimes why they might be homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Hey Jean-Luc....how's it hangin? :D

to the op..what did she mean by real help..did she mean as in put her up in a room or give here a place to stay?

I didn't ask but I presume she meant money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

We might have a homeless person squatting in the back garden of our house in college next year...

That could be an interesting situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I didn't ask but I presume she meant drug money.

Meh, what are you going to do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

Fair play for trying mate.

Having said that i would have told her to get up, get cleaned and FIND A ****ING JOB!!!!
    She probably makes a fortune doing it and going home to her cushy house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Oh wow, you copy and pasted a facepalm. I'm glad you didn't debate the issue logically or point out fallacies in my argument, cos that would be stupid.

Now please enlighten me on all the wonderful benefits begging provdes our society with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Having said that i would have told her to get up, get cleaned and FIND A ****ING JOB!!!!

I think you should head down to your local dole office and offer all those people in the long queue the same advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Well now next time you know to get her a 2 liter bottle of Devils Bit instead. Then maybe you'll get a roide.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I wasn't looking for her to heap thanks upon me, I thought she would simply appreciate some food. I have to say I felt a little embarassed and less likely to do something similar in the future.

Well you tried your best and your heart was defiantly in the right place. Not everyone wants to be sitting on a doorstep till the hostel opens and maybe that’s all she was doing, passing time till she got back indoors. It sounds like she’s defeated to me. It’s easy to be glib and make rash statements like F*ck her!

Maybe you should have asked before you bought the food.

Lots of people in Ireland are going through very hard times and can’t get jobs at the moment and some may very well end up on the streets next winter. I hope there’s more people like you out there for they’re sake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

SHOT DOWN.. by a homeless chick!

LOL this is a hilarious thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Fair play for trying mate.

She probably makes a fortune doing it and going home to her cushy house.

I can't imagine she makes much money from it. The street isn't exactly jam packed at the best of times.
    Well now next time you know to get her a 2 liter bottle of Devils Bit instead. Then maybe you'll get a roide.

It is possible to just be nice for the sake of it and not want anything in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

Ponster wrote: »
    I think you should head down to your local dole office and offer all those people in the long queue the same advice :)

It was a figure of speech.:D
    You don't see many of them begging during the big R.

Oh wow, you copy and pasted a facepalm. I'm glad you didn't debate the issue logically or point out fallacies in my argument, cos that would be stupid.

Now please enlighten me on all the wonderful benefits begging provdes our society with.

I'm glad it riled you up enough to mention it, the facepalm was over your Mexico comment.

Don't worry about the Mexicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

It is possible to just be nice for the sake of it and not want anything in return.
    Probably not, no.
    But good on ya for trying!
    *Pat on back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Well I'm just back from Tesco and it didn't turn out quite how I imagined. When I was there I picked up a chicken salad - €1.40 and a smoothie - €.99, total cost €2.39.

I walked over to her and told her that I had just come back from the shop. I mentioned that I was lucky enough to still have a job and that for me they were quite cheap. I offered her the salad and the smoothie (sealed containers) but she refused them. She said she had enough food and had accomodation and that I wasn't offering real help so she didn't want them.

As many have already said, fair play to you and don't let it put you off. She is probably embarrased by her sitution and was probably caught off guard and didn't know how to react. She probably has somewhere to stay at night but just needs to be out of the place during the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Even the homeless have become picky in this country.

Fair play for trying.

I would probably be of the same opinion and not offer help the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

I'm glad it riled you up enough to mention it, the facepalm was over your Mexico comment.

Don't worry about the Mexicans.

So we are in agreement then that begging is degrading, disgusting and pathetic?

Even a rat goes out and finds it's own food and shelter. Hence, these beggars are less than rats and should be treated as such. I pass a roma gypsy begging every morning and I greet her with a big dirty phlegm in her cup.

If this was Italy, this scum would be beaten off the streets by the police. Our gardaí are useless. Wasn't there a law passed against begging last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

so she has food and accom. call the cops for loitering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Even a rat goes out and finds it's own food and shelter. Hence, these beggars are less than rats and should be treated as such. I pass a roma gypsy begging every morning and I greet her with a big dirty phlegm in her cup.

If this was Italy, this scum would be beaten off the streets by the police. Our gardaí are useless. Wasn't there a law passed against begging last year?

Thank f-ing crunchie this isn't Italy!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

zuroph wrote: »
    so she has food and accom. call the cops for loitering.

Unfortunately I would be of the same opinion. If it isn't a busy street and she's just hanging around outside your offices then for security reasons get her moved. Happens a lot in shop robberies etc, that people have "cased" the place by sitting outside the door 'begging'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Even a rat wouldnt do that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

Quite the humanitarian aren't you, I believe stormfront has an opening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I pass a roma gypsy begging every morning and I greet her with a big dirty phlegm in her cup.

Sure you do.:rolleyes:

Where do you be going in the mornings BTW,its the summer,arent the schools closed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

I remember I was in town with my friend one night when we walked past a homeless guy on the street. He asked for money, and my friend asked him what for, he said food. So my buddy, being a nice guy, went into a takeaway the shop and bought him and some chips and a cup of tea. When he gave it to the homeless guy he freaked, poured the tea on the ground, threw the chips at my friend and shouted abuse at us.

I wish I could say I was surprised but I wasn't. I presume he wanted money for booze or something.

Advertisement