Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*REHOMING thread* (Once off requests only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Rommie wrote: »
    Are they not a bit young to be rehomed at six weeks? They should be eight weeks at least and have their first vaccination

Normally I would agree that 6 weeks is too young, but these kittens are orphans so they can go that bit sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Even if they're orphans though 6 weeks is fairly young to go to a new home, especially as they won't be vaccinated by then. No chance the fosterer would hold onto them for the extra two weeks until they're a bit bigger and stronger? Especially if she has cats already to teach them what their mother would have

I'm not fully sure how long she can hold on to them for but she was clear it wouldn't be for too long, I am going to visit them on Saturday so will know more then!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Agree with SillyMangoX, I'd be making an exception for orphaned kitties, so long as the prospective home is homechecked, the kittens go in pairs (vital for their development and wellbeing) and there aren't small children in the home or older, bigger pets as the kittens are so fragile and vulnerable at that age. I never rush into vaccinating, either, if the kittens are going to be rehomed. That stress can negate the effect of the vaccination. I usually wait until they are nine weeks old and that's only if they've been top-notch healthy with no cat flu or other illnesses.

Don't forget to tell the fosterer about worming, SillyMangoX! They can be wormed with Parazole from two weeks of age, 0.5ml per kg for three consecutive days, every two weeks until twelve weeks, then once a month to six months and every three months thereafter. We weigh them on kitchen scales and give the Parazole through a 1ml syringe. Although if they have had a good start and have already been wormed with Parazole it is safe to give Milbemax from six weeks. :)

Parazole is non-prescription so you can buy it in the chemist or pet shop. Usually about ten euro for 100ml.

I plan on bringing some parazole with me on Saturday when I visit :) will hope to be rehoming them in pairs but whatever way they go it is vital the black and white goes to an indoor only home, so even if I have to hold onto her that bit longer, she needs to stay inside. I would keep her myself only I couldn't offer a totally indoor home. And yes, first vaccination isn't actually recommended in kittens at all until 9 weeks of age and then 3 weeks after, it differs to puppy vaccines. (This is the most up to date info as of a talk last week!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Hi folks, have a male degu, approx 4 years old. We took him and his brother as rescues over 4 years ago but sadly his brother passed away last weekend. As much as it pains me, he is better off going to a home with other degus than staying here with us. As they are difficult to integrate I would prefer someone with a real knowledge of degus to take him.

Genuinely, I just want someone who knows what they are doing with degus so this little chap can enjoy the rest of his life with other degus. Any interest, please PM me.

Update on my rehoming offer, down to 3 kitties, 2 tabbies and the black and white. Thunder (the runt) passed away last night :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Sorry to hear that Mango :(

I still am looking for a home for bubbles the female tortie, about 12weeks she has been nicely socalised with other cats .

8510684976_70670c8e6b_m.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

zef wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that Mango :(

I still am looking for a home for bubbles the female tortie, about 12weeks she has been nicely socalised with other cats .

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

Hi all. If anyone knows of anyone looking to rehome a kitten in cork (north cork area) Im looking for a kitten. Had 2 cats up until recently and one died. My other fella is lonely now so i would love to get him a friend. Lots of open space, county side, big garage (my fella spends most of the time inside so that the plan for my new addition also)

Usually i see ads up locally with kittens but the one time I am looking for one there is nothing.

Thank in advance to anyone who may know of someone with kittens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Hi
    I need to rehome a 10month old cat.

Female, nuetered, up to date with shots.

A little shy but very friendly and playful when she's used to you. She can use a litter tray.

Likes other cats and is ok with dogs too. She was with a labrador for first 12 weeks.

She's mainly white with dashs of grey.

I would keep her but my dogs would eat her.

I am rehoming her for my elderly neighbour.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭justaskin likeyakno

Hi all. If anyone knows of anyone looking to rehome a kitten in cork (north cork area) Im looking for a kitten. Had 2 cats up until recently and one died. My other fella is lonely now so i would love to get him a friend. Lots of open space, county side, big garage (my fella spends most of the time inside so that the plan for my new addition also)

Usually i see ads up locally with kittens but the one time I am looking for one there is nothing.

Thank in advance to anyone who may know of someone with kittens.

Maybe you might like my cat, she's also lonely as she just lost her brother and my neighbour doesn't want to risk the same happening to this one.

My neighbour is a bit too old to have her and I can only help so much so she has asked me to help rehome her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lilyruby

Male lab x 3-4 years approx. looking for a new home. Would probably suit adult home or home with older children. Please pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Hi All,everyone looking for kittens don't forget to try your local rescue charities as this is now the breeding season and will be lots looking for homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ronan1990

Hi, I took in a kitten who was in need of a home last February. However I'm currently getting ready to move house, I assumed I could bring him with me, but my new landlord is strictly against pets. I have asked family, friends, co-workers, neighbours, everyone I could think of to try find a new home for my cat, but had no luck. I have tried the usual rehoming websites (catsaid, dspca, etc) however none seem to be taking in new animals. I'm starting to panic as the move is happening shortly and I don't know what is going to happen to the little guy.
    I would love him to go to a good home, he is a little over a year old now, very calm and sleeps most of the day. Goes for a stroll during the morning, comes home during the afternoon and sleeps the rest of the day. He has black fur with a white chest and white paws. Loves getting to know new people. We have kept him as an inside and an outside cat, and he has been litter trained. He is such a sweet cat, if anyone could give him a good home, it would mean the world to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

NOTE FOR MODS....... I am not a rescue center im just a normal guy who took in a dog in need

Hi All, after reading through this thread it seems the majority of you are all genuine caring animal lovers so it seems a good place for me to start.
    I am looking for a permanent, loving, caring home for a German Shepherd bitch who is (according to the vet) approximately two years old. Here's the story....
    German shepherds are my favorite breed of dog but unfortunately cannot have one of my own (long story). A few months ago while talking dogs at work I mentioned about G.S.D's being my favorite breed when someone said about a man they knew was getting rid of one and was taking it to the local horse fair at the weekend, there was not a hope in hell I could let this happen as we all know what her life would have ended up like if I had ( tied to a rope in a wet yard somewhere ). I said I would meet the man that evening ( and was so glad I did ). On arrival to the address I was given I could have cried, a man was stood in the drive holding this skeleton of a dog by a piece of bailing twine ( which was wrapped round her neck and looks like it had been there sometime as it was cutting into her) her tail was touching her belly from fear and her eyes were dead, I gave the man the 80 euro he was demanding and lifted her in the car and immediately removed the twine from her neck, took her home, placed a bed by the fire and settled her in for the night. Next day I had her checked by the vet and vaccinations done and that evening she got a good and well needed bath. I called her Angel as I could see that is exactly what she was ( a little angel ).
    A few months have now passed and she has come on leaps and bounds, she has put weight on ( although she is still very slim ) but more importantly her eyes are alive again.
    Angel is THE MOST beautiful dog, she is amazing around children, other dogs and cats, her only pit fall is that she is scared of her own shadow, if you raise your hand too quickly to stroke her she cowers, if you raise your voice she cowers, if someone comes to the door she runs and hides but once she knows she is not going to be hurt she is fine.
    Angel has had the most horrendous past from what I can tell but amazingly has the most beautiful nature.
    I feel she is now ready to go to a loving home as i've only ever looked at me being a half way house to help her back on her feet. I had her spayed two weeks ago and the vet could not believe the change in her.
    Im hoping that through posting on this that a true g.s.d lover will read this and offer her a home but I will not let her go to anyone until they have been strictly vetted ( I live in Kerry and am a full time single father working a C.E scheme so cannot afford to travel all over the country vetting people but hope that some people on here may be able to offer their help, maybe if someone in Dublin is interested in her then a fellow animal lover in Dublin could vet on my behalf ).
    Angel is a gorgeous dog and she follows me everywhere and I feel im getting far too attached to her so feel that now is the right time to find her a loving home. I WILL NOT LET HER GO UNTIL I AM 100% SATISFIED THAT SHE IS GOING TO A GOOD LOVING HOME.
    I will upload pics of her tonight when my daughters are home ( im useless on computers)
    I really am hoping that someone reading this can offer her the home she truly deserves .

*****Just put up some pics but stupidly put them up in a new post, you'll find them a few posts down, Thanks****

Thanks for taking the time to read this

P.s

HORSE FAIRS SHOULD BE BANNED...........WAKE UP IRELAND

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

olcod I cried after reading your post. I really don't understand how people can be that way. I wish I was in a position to help - but she would be way too traumatised in my mad house:rolleyes:

I really hope you find the right home for her. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

That's so sad Olcod :( Fair play to you for taking her in, I shudder to think of how she might have ended up. I love GSDs myself and we have a GSD cross, but I'm still living at home with the parents and while I wouldn't be in a position to take her, hope she goes to a great home that will continue to build up her confidence in people.

angeldaisy wrote: »
    olcod I cried after reading your post. I really don't understand how people can be that way. I wish I was in a position to help - but she would be way too traumatised in my mad house:rolleyes:

I really hope you find the right home for her. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Thanks angeldaisey, believe me I was nearly crying typing it :(, every time I looked up she was looking at me almost as if she knew what I was doing. Im sure i'll find a good home for her, i'd say the first person who see's her will fall in love with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Olcod you're an absolute saint! I'm so glad she has found such a wonderful foster home with you to get her on her feet! I have everything crossed for you and Angel that she finds her forever home soon. Well done again!

• Advertisement

Olcod you have me thinking seriously about my 2 permanent dogs is enough rule. Sounds like you've done incredibly well but whoever takes her is gonna have some work on their hands.

Some pics of Angel, sorry they are not the best but will try and get better one's tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Aaah, she is just gorgeous. Beautiful eyes and helpful in the kitchen:). I really hope that she finds a wonderful home, she certainly deserves it. Well done you for rescuing her from a miserable existence.

olcod wrote: »
    Some pics of Angel, sorry they are not the best but will try and get better one's tomorrow

Shes the absolute spitting image of my own gsd except the brown patch on the top of her head. Beautiful dog.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Shes the absolute spitting image of my own gsd except the brown patch on the top of her head. Beautiful dog.

Ah the pics really don't do her justice she really is gorgeous and such a little softy bless her ( all she wanted to do was sleep while we were taking pics of her last night). I was hoping to take some more pics outside today to show her off properly but didn't get time as was on a course today then running the kids about this evening. I know whoever takes her will just fall in love, there is something just so special about her.

**Vai** wrote: »
    Olcod you have me thinking seriously about my 2 permanent dogs is enough rule. Sounds like you've done incredibly well but whoever takes her is gonna have some work on their hands.

I'd say once she knows her new master is going to just love her and not hurt her she'll settle in in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

olcod wrote: »
    Ah the pics really don't do her justice she really is gorgeous and such a little softy bless her ( all she wanted to do was sleep while we were taking pics of her last night). I was hoping to take some more pics outside today to show her off properly but didn't get time as was on a course today then running the kids about this evening. I know whoever takes her will just fall in love, there is something just so special about her.

All of us love our pets, but there is just something extra special with the ones you rescue that have had a really rough start in life. I don't know I think its just that they are so greatful to be loved and saved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭cassiedoll

@olcod...i am sitting at my desk in work sobbing after reading that. Such an amazing story. I do not want to imagine where Angel would be now if it was not for you. I had mentioned on previous posts that GSD's were my favourite breed but i do not think it would be fair to have a GSD as I work and live on my own. But i must say that i have been looking for a dog since really after xmas and no matter what website i am on, my heart always brings me to the pics of GSD's. I wish you and Angel the very best of luck and hope she finds another loving home.

cassiedoll wrote: »
    @olcod...i am sitting at my desk in work sobbing after reading that. Such an amazing story. I do not want to imagine where Angel would be now if it was not for you. I had mentioned on previous posts that GSD's were my favourite breed but i do not think it would be fair to have a GSD as I work and live on my own. But i must say that i have been looking for a dog since really after xmas and no matter what website i am on, my heart always brings me to the [/B]pics of GSD's. I wish you and Angel the very best of luck and hope she finds another loving home.

I know exactly what you mean, they are just such a beautiful dog and something so very special about them, it's just such a shame that they are classed as a dangerous dog and many people would cross the road if they see you coming with one, like we all know too well, there are no such things as dangerous dogs, just dangerous owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭puppieperson

hi would love to have this terrier i have 2 others and love my dogs did you re-home him yet?

Advertisement