Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*REHOMING thread* (Once off requests only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Need Home wrote: »
    I've quite a bit of debt to clear Knine, and Sw goes no where :(

Is there not a fee for leaving a dog in?

As you're in North Dublin the dog will go to Ashton so it's €40 if you leave him in yourself and €50 if he's collected. http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/ControlofDogsandHorses/Dogs/

Seeing as you've had him so long he may be treated as a surrender meaning that he would only get 24 hours. They're pretty good in Ashton but PTS rate is about 20% so if the pound is full he could very quickly be in danger.

Have you tried talking to any rescues in your area?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Thanks for the replies. Of course I'd rather he wasn't destroyed, or I wouldn't have hung onto him for so long. I know how heart breaking it must be for someone to lose their dog, so I spent most of those months hoping his owner would surface. There is a matter of urgency at this stage because I'm also a single mother with two kids and I'm struggling to support them let alone the little fella. I can't really afford the rehoming fee, and I'm finding it hard to find him a new home. That's why I'm here :/

PLEASE don't put this poor guy on death row, you've made a start trying to find him a good home by posting here, give it a few days/weeks and im sure you'll find a good home for him here, fair play to you for minding him the last few months, I take my hat off to you for that but you can't just give up before you've even started and sentence him to death, im a single parent too and struggling and understand where you're coming from there but this is the life of a helpless animal that your talking about here, give it time...please. Give it 2 weeks and if you have no luck in finding him a home by lets say 1st of may then i'll take him and find a home for him... deal ???....im sure there are some kind people on here who can help with transporting him from dub to me in kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Need Home

olcod wrote: »
    PLEASE don't put this poor guy on death row, you've made a start trying to find him a good home by posting here, give it a few days/weeks and im sure you'll find a good home for him here, fair play to you for minding him the last few months, I take my hat off to you for that but you can't just give up before you've even started and sentence him to death, im a single parent too and struggling and understand where you're coming from there but this is the life of a helpless animal that your talking about here, give it time...please. Give it 2 weeks and if you have no luck in finding him a home by lets say 1st of may then i'll take him and find a home for him... deal ???....im sure there are some kind people on here who can help with transporting him from dub to me in kerry.

Thanks for your reply. I brought him to dogs trust today and they said he had to go through the pound. I brought him to Ashton dog pound and the woman told me within 5 days he might be put to sleep.

I still have him, and will keep searching for his new home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

oh well done that you brought him back with you!!!
    dog trust told me the same thing, they are able to take dogs from the pound only as they have too many.
    Try with the others, maybe it will take a while before they answer, but they will after a while! :)

jsabina wrote: »
    oh well done that you brought him back with you!!!
    dog trust told me the same thing, they are able to take dogs from the pound only as they have too many.
    Try with the others, maybe it will take a while before they answer, but they will after a while! :)

Ah there's no way I'd let him be put down. He really is a great dog, he loves kids and he'd make a great addition to any family. It's just a shame I can't keep him myself, hes such a happy little thing.

Again, if anyone is interested in him or know anyone that would like him drop me a pm :)

• Advertisement

Ah there's no way I'd let him be put down. He really is a great dog, he loves kids and he'd make a great addition to any family. It's just a shame I can't keep him myself, hes such a happy little thing.

Again, if anyone is interested in him or know anyone that would like him drop me a pm :)

Ah fair play to you for not risking him being put down, im delighted and I stand by my word in my earlier post, if you still have him by 1st of may i'll take him off your hands and make sure he gets a home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Thanks for the replies. Of course I'd rather he wasn't destroyed, or I wouldn't have hung onto him for so long. I know how heart breaking it must be for someone to lose their dog, so I spent most of those months hoping his owner would surface. There is a matter of urgency at this stage because I'm also a single mother with two kids and I'm struggling to support them let alone the little fella. I can't really afford the rehoming fee, and I'm finding it hard to find him a new home. That's why I'm here :/

Do try contacting a few rescues, they can advertise him on their sites and say that you're fostering him; they will homecheck prospective owners too. Dog's Trust won't take him because they have their own kennels and they are full but a rescue with fosterers could work very well for you.

mhge wrote: »
    Do try contacting a few rescues, they can advertise him on their sites and say that you're fostering him; they will homecheck prospective owners too. Dog's Trust won't take him because they have their own kennels and they are full but a rescue with fosterers could work very well for you.

I have gotten in touch with one yes, and the lady said she will try help me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭BlueIsland

I came across Hannah a month ago wandering around my car. She looked hungry, confused and lost. I enquired around and heard she had been wandering the streets for the previous few days. I picked her up and brought her to my house in the hope of finding her owners. She was so happy to get some food and water. She snuggled up on the couch that night happy to be away from the troubles she had faced over the previous few days (and possibly years). I brought her to the vet two days later to get her checked out and to see if she had a microchip. It turned out she did have a microchip. I brought her to the owner’s house and was told basically they didn’t want her anymore! She is a six year old Lab/terrier cross. With this attitude the previous six years of her life could not have been bundles of fun. I informed the owners that that was fine and that I would rehome her. She has been with me for the past few weeks playing and interacting with my 9 month old Lab who torments her.
    I want Hannah to find her forever home. I want her to find somewhere that she can lie up on the couch and just relax (which she loves). I want her to find someone who will appreciate her and play with her like she deserves.
    Hannah is a house dog. I wouldn’t like to think she will be kept outside wherever she goes. She gets on well with my lab but I think she should go to a house without any other dogs. She is fully house trained and spaded. The ideal situation for Hannah would be that she would find an older couple with no young kids who want a dog who will show them buckets of attention without any hassle. She is genuinely a no strings attached, no hassle dog.
    If you are interested giving this beautiful dog her forever home please pm me and I will give you my number to call!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Laila

3 adults cats looking for their forever home. 2 male and 1 female, all 3 years of age and neutered, vaccinated, wormed etc. These gorgeous cats would be a great addition to any family. Ideally they should be re-homed separately and go to a new home were they are the only pet. Only one of the cats (ginger male) would be suited to a family with children as both of the other cats are quite shy.

Serious cat lovers only please.

Thanks
    L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Stunning cats, I hope they all find wonderful homes. Unfortunately my 2 cats are very territorial and wouldn't accept another cat.

olcod wrote: »
    Ah fair play to you for not risking him being put down, im delighted and I stand by my word in my earlier post, if you still have him by 1st of may i'll take him off your hands and make sure he gets a home.

Sorry, I completely missed your post! I have been replying via my phone which is a bit finicky. If I still have him by May ill give you a shout. I'd honestly rather it was someone from here. I've gotten too many calls from people that think he's cute etc, but you can tell that they're not thinking about the commitment. It would be the dog that would suffer in the long run. People here genuinely seem to love their animals :)

Olcod, ill keep you posted :)

Sorry, I completely missed your post! I have been replying via my phone which is a bit finicky. If I still have him by May ill give you a shout. I'd honestly rather it was someone from here. I've gotten too many calls from people that think he's cute etc, but you can tell that they're not thinking about the commitment. It would be the dog that would suffer in the long run. People here genuinely seem to love their animals :)

Olcod, ill keep you posted :)

Ah im so glad you can see that, fair play to you for not letting him go to just anyone, if everybody thought the same as you there wouldn't be half as many abandoned dogs around. Really hope you manage to find him the home he deserves soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi hope it's okay to post here again, I'm having no luck finding a forever home for one of the little kittens that I took from the vets, any homes that the foster or myself had lined up have fallen through! She is extremely sweet, has been hand raised so is well used to people, children and other cats, she has been raised indoors so is used to all the normal comings and goings involved with living indoors and ideally I would like her to be continued to be kept indoors, (until she is big enough for a potter around!) I am really looking for a 5 star home for this sweet little girl, I hate the thought of someone taking her just to have to deter rodents or just to wander around outside only to end up getting pregnant, so of anyone thinks they can reach my standards (:D) please pm me for more details!! She is marbled tabby and white, 9 weeks old and should be getting her first vaccine this week, has been wormed regularly and is fully litter trained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

I (and a number of other cat people in Dundalk) are collectively trying to get a happy ending for Tiddles pictured below.

He's a lovely old guy, neutered and has all his vaccinations - his story is a sad one as his owner of 9 years became ill and so Tiddles had to go boarding at a vets, unfortunately since then his owner has passed away.

He is still boarding at the moment but will not be given much longer - just days - to find a home before he is pts. Would be a huge shame as he's good and healthy for his age. The vet nurse who has been caring for him describes him as "a complete house cat, independent and strong minded - can be grumpy but still likes a little game and a rub (on his terms)."

Ideally someone close enough to Dundalk to call in to meet him might then offer him a home without other pets or children as he doesn't seem to get on with other cats and isn't used to children. This rules out a lot of us who are trying to help - as we all seem to have a lot of cats already and/or young kids.

Is anyone keen? Please pm me for details if you can help

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Imported but

I (and a number of other cat people in Dundalk) are collectively trying to get a happy ending for Tiddles pictured below.

He's a lovely old guy, neutered and has all his vaccinations - his story is a sad one as his owner of 9 years became ill and so Tiddles had to go boarding at a vets, unfortunately since then his owner has passed away.

He is still boarding at the moment but will not be given much longer - just days - to find a home before he is pts. Would be a huge shame as he's good and healthy for his age. The vet nurse who has been caring for him describes him as "a complete house cat, independent and strong minded - can be grumpy but still likes a little game and a rub (on his terms)."

Ideally someone close enough to Dundalk to call in to meet him might then offer him a home without other pets or children as he doesn't seem to get on with other cats and isn't used to children. This rules out a lot of us who are trying to help - as we all seem to have a lot of cats already and/or young kids.

Is anyone keen? Please pm me for details if you can help

UPDATE looks like we've found him a home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Thats wonderful news:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I hope it's okay for me to post this here- Chubbs is not my dog but I offered to pop his details up here in case anyone was interested.

Chubbs is a 4 year old male Shar Pei based in Dublin looking for a new home. Neutered/microchipped, with a genuine reason for rehoming. All the details are on the facebook page, or for those who don't have a facebook, there's a blogspot.

If anyone is interested, contact details are in the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hi hope it's okay to post here again, I'm having no luck finding a forever home for one of the little kittens that I took from the vets, any homes that the foster or myself had lined up have fallen through! She is extremely sweet, has been hand raised so is well used to people, children and other cats, she has been raised indoors so is used to all the normal comings and goings involved with living indoors and ideally I would like her to be continued to be kept indoors, (until she is big enough for a potter around!) I am really looking for a 5 star home for this sweet little girl, I hate the thought of someone taking her just to have to deter rodents or just to wander around outside only to end up getting pregnant, so of anyone thinks they can reach my standards (:D) please pm me for more details!! She is marbled tabby and white, 9 weeks old and should be getting her first vaccine this week, has been wormed regularly and is fully litter trained :)

Just updating this with a few pictures! Still having no luck finding a home for this little cutie.

shelley4_zps6d52d7bb.jpg

shelley_zpsf9cdd850.jpg

shelley2_zpscb8f0d4f.jpg

shelley3_zpsf51a2cb4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

American Bulldog free to good home. I am based in Mayo but will travel. She is a house dog so the new home must also be able to keep dog in house. At the minute she is left outside during the day and stays inside at night. She also is not able to be kept with other dogs. As her and my other female dog keep fighting so that is reason for getting rid of her. She keeps going to the same spot on the other females leg and it is sown up a few times by vet. We done our best to keep them seperated but earlier tonight they fought for 2 mins and other dogs leg was ripped open. So we have to get rid of her. I hope this isn't coming across as, she is vicious(she isn't) but she would be a good pet for somebody who only wants one dog.

PM me if interested.

To MOD's I don't know if you are allowed post here for this reason so delete if not allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

To MOD's I don't know if you are allowed post here for this reason so delete if not allowed.

Why the need to use the phrase "Get Rid" ??" Can you not use rehome? Its an awful phrase to use about your beloved pet :(

Did you contact the breeder about taking her back? If not you need to do this.

Also, are any of your bitches spayed? If not this might help. Have you had a trainer in to help with your situation? Bitches tend to not get on well in general in a household and i see you have staffies too and terriers can be very fiesty, especially bitches.

andreac wrote: »
    Why the need to use the phrase "Get Rid" ??" Can you not use rehome? Its an awful phrase to use about your beloved pet :(

Did you contact the breeder about taking her back? If not you need to do this.

Also, are any of your bitches spayed? If not this might help. Have you had a trainer in to help with your situation? Bitches tend to not get on well in general in a household and i see you have staffies too and terriers can be very fiesty, especially bitches.

Sorry it was late last night when I wrote it. The two females are spayed. The fights happened so quick and the American bulldog keep going for the same leg in the same spot and rips the skin off. The vet said we should re-home her. It will just keep happening again, again and it cannot. It is sad to re-home her but I do not see any other option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry it was late last night when I wrote it. The two females are spayed. The fights happened so quick and the American bulldog keep going for the same leg in the same spot and rips the skin off. The vet said we should re-home her. It will just keep happening again, again and it cannot. It is sad to re-home her but I do not see any other option.

Have you contacted the breeder of the Bulldog?

andreac wrote: »
    Have you contacted the breeder of the Bulldog?

I didn't get her off a breeder. I got her off a guy in Ballyfermot. It was over five years ago as she is about five and a half now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Fostering a lurcher here as a favour to a family member. It was meant to be going to a large rescue home tomorrow but they're now saying they haven't the space. All other rescue homes in Dublin appear to be full as well.
    He's about 3, un-neutered, good with kids, cats and other dogs (however, he does show defensive aggression tendencies if some other dogs are not nice to him).
    Have two dogs already, no room for this big fella, I'm afraid.
    Anyone willing to offer him a forever home? Please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elen88

I could not find the rehoming thread so I have opened a new thread if needed please transfer this to the rehoming thread.

My brothers friend has left the country and he gave his staffie to my brother who brought it home yesterday. My parents are completely unhappy about this and we need the dog to go to a good home as soon as possible.

The staffie is a 3 year old female, house trained, very sweetie and well natured, not neutered, chocolate, orange and black colours.

Any help/suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Hi.

We are looking to rehome our five you old cat as my wife is expecting and has developed an alergy to his fur. He is best described as:
    1. Fat
    2. Lazy
    3. Spoilt
    4. Diva'ish
    5. Alergic to cold, rain and outdoors for more than 30minutes at a time.
    He is an absolute gem of a cat who is, neutered, chipped and fully vacinated and has been a house cat since he is a kitten, by house cat I mean he has only started going outside in the last year. Looking for a good home for him which can continue to provide him with the lifestyle he has become used to.

Thanks.
    Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 1 betoonaadu2

hi I have a 2 year old male Standard Grey chinchilla. Im looking to re-home him ONLY to a home with another chinchilla as they are very social animals. we had a pair of them but sadly his buddy past away. Sparky ( that's his name) comes with his own accommodation equipped with all he needs.))
    Please if y have a chinchilla and you are looking for a companion for him let me know.
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pretty.things

Hi
    I have 3 lovely puppies that need rehoming as soon as possible. They are almost 3 months old. They are a cross between a Collie and a Jack Russell. All of them are lovely and friendly and are great fun, one of them is unusual by having a pinky nose and he has gathered the nickname pinky, the other two are smaller in size one male and one female, all of them would be great with kids.
    We are based in Kerry so would like not to try to travel that far due to the puppies never being in a car before.
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 smiledust

Unfortunately I have to give up my dog, a lovely little westie. I'd love for him to find a new home. There are many dog shelters in the Dublin/Leinster area. Are they all good? Or should any of them be avoided?

Advertisement