Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And don't forget the lockpick, after all, you are the master of unlocking....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Play as Jill first. She is the easy mode. She gets two more inventory slots than Chris.

I'm not even going to go into the logic behind how she has 2 more "inventory slots". :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Finally finished the legend of Zelda. Maybe Zelda 2 next?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Inviere

Finally finished the legend of Zelda. Maybe Zelda 2 next?

I went on to Zelda 2 after completing the first. Lasted about 30 mins, couldn’t get into it at all. Might revisit at some stage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Playing Zelda 2 now. Actually really enjoying it. One issue playing it now is learning how to take on some of the enemies. I'd recommend looking up videos on how to fight them properly.

It's really tough though!

• Advertisement

Back at my parents place so playing more Ninja Gaiden Black. God of War might be a good game but playing NGB it baffles me how it's getting such high scores.

So after hearing so much about zelda 2 being the black sheep of the series and how it's too difficult and not that good I'm surprised to fi b d it's a superbly crafted game. The combat is lots of fun and I'm enjoying the dungeons. The only issue with the game is at the start where you are told you need a candle to see in the caves. You'd expect to do a quest to get the candle before going near the caves but you actually have to go through one to the first palace before you can get it. It always threw me when I tried to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I think Zelda 2 was unpopular with a lot of people at the time but it's gotten a bit of a critical reappraisal in recent years. People who like it love it and I've seen it cited as a key influence in a fair few modern indie games. I found it more immediately appealing than Zelda 1/3 myself but I didn't own a NES so I never got to spend a lot of time with it.

It was actually quite highly regarded at release. It's a it like Simon's Quest, popular at the time but critical opinion changed over time. However while Simon's Quest has some genuine issues that make it hard to enjoy (I still think it's a good game), Zelda 2 I feel is a lot better and far less obtuse.

It can still be a little obtuse but it's no where near as bad as Simon's Quest.

After abandoning Resi REmake, I've taken up Link's Awakening...a Zelda game I'd not played much beyond about one hour of in the past! Enjoying it so far

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    After abandoning Resi REmake, I've taken up Link's Awakening...a Zelda game I'd not played much beyond about one hour of in the past! Enjoying it so far

Link's Awakening is a very strong contender for best Zelda game. It's so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I love the aesthetic of the GB/GBC Zelda games. They boil down the art of LTTP to iconic simplicity.

I'm presuming it gets somewhat challenging at some stage? Two dungeons in & finding it quite easy, with hints everywhere re what to do etc. Really enjoying it though, as said above, the art work is boiled down to pure simplicity but still so effective

Inviere wrote: »

I'm presuming it gets somewhat challenging at some stage? Two dungeons in & finding it quite easy, with hints everywhere re what to do etc. Really enjoying it though, as said above, the art work is boiled down to pure simplicity but still so effective

Probably got the strongest narrative of the zelda games and the side quests are fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I have the DX edition as well as the OG mono version, never played them to completion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I have both. Still have the OG cartridge. Not sure where my DX cart went, if I had one in the first place.
    I have beaten the DX version on 3DS VC 2 years ago, but not the OG version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I never actually played the DX version I should, especially since I don't think I ever beat the last dungeon.

The DX version doesn't add much. There's a new dungeon based around colour but it's a bit **** and gimmicky. You got this a lot with Gameboy Colour games, there was always a part of the game based around colour as if colour was a brand new concept in games to be played around with. The otherwise incredible Metal Gear Solid on the system had a very annoying early section involving the use of red and blue cardboard boxes to navigate an area.

Making good progress on Zelda 2, finished the maze palace, on to the Ocean Palace now.

Finished Zelda 2. The last stretch and bosses were horrible. Otherwise it was a great game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing Mega Man 1 on the NES. Have gotten up to the first Wily boss (Yellow Devil) a few times but havn't had enough free time to keep playing unfortunately. Hopefully have a good crack at beating it when I get more time.

The first one is one my missing Famicom Rockman titles, must find it cheap somewhere!

Started Shin Megami Tensei 2. Already hit my first case of SMT bull**** where I stumbled into the boss area before I got all the weapons and armour in the first dungeon and promptly got my ass kicked and lost about a half hour of progress.

This one has a very interesting premise... well like all SMT games, taking place after the Neutral ending of the first. Not many post-post-post-apocalypse games around.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone ever play Dark Half for the Super Famicom (jap only RPG)?

Was reading up on Majyuuou and the article mentioned Dark Half being another game that falls outside of the usual Snes family friendly fare.

Nice write up on hardcore gaming.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/dark-half/

There was no fan translation as of the writing of the above, but luckily there's one out now. I just gave it a quick 20 minute bash and it looks like it's going to shape up to be really good.

You're literally playing as the devil for half of the game. There's something really weird about massacring a small town of civilians in a Super Nintendo game. Especially as it's an RPG so they're pleading for their lives before hand :eek:

Looks interesting and I see Westone were the developer and they are pretty reliable when it comes to creating great games. Must give it a go as I've not seen them create a RPG before.

Master of the Universe

Ever have a counter in a game decrease as you walk around and you kind of think it will mean game over if it goes to zero, but you're not quite sure?

Yeah, Dark Half has a thing called a 'Soul Power' counter in the top corner. When you win a battle it increases. I just thought it might be a form of leveling up.

Unfortunately I discovered there's a bit more to it, half way through a dungeon and about 3 hours into the game. So my 'Soul Power' is on about 70 and if it hits zero it's game over. So I'm trying to balance walking around with it decreasing with every step in the hope I get into a random battle and can increase it through fighting. Might be too far gone to get this to work unfortunately :(

Would be a real shame if so as, like an idiot, I was just using the one save state!

Just a heads up for anyone who wants to give it a go, it really is an excellent game. Some of the darkest music I've ever heard come out of a snes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Final Fight 3, it's a great SP experience and pretty easy, it's a huge shame it crawls in co-op.. Capcom were lazy back in the day with snes titles imo, slowdown is a common thing with their games. Could also shift some blame to nintendo, even a 5mhz constant cpu would have made a huge difference, but thinking back the neo geo was like 700$ so maybe it would have been too expensive and they decided to bear a slow cpu and go with the trade-off of advanced audio and graphic capabilities. That's the great thing about the 16-bit era, hugely different consoles between the gen and snes resulting is so many different games which took advantage of each systems strengths

The problem was Nintendo wanted the SNES to be backwards compatible with the NES so they went with the 16-bit version of the NES chip which was a piece of crap. They never got backwards compatibility to work and the system was lumbered with an archaic CPU which was really an 8-bit chip duct taped to be 16-bit. A Motorola 68000 like the Megadrive, Amiga and Neo Geo would have been so much better and probably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Raiden in the office cab. Good shooter but really difficult.

32GCNs4h.jpg

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

The problem was Nintendo wanted the SNES to be backwards compatible with the NES so they went with the 16-bit version of the NES chip which was a piece of crap. They never got backwards compatibility to work and the system was lumbered with an archaic CPU which was really an 8-bit chip duct taped to be 16-bit. A Motorola 68000 like the Megadrive, Amiga and Neo Geo would have been so much better and probably cheaper.

Yeah I'll always wonder how the Snes would have turned out if they'd decided to go with the 68000 instead. Would we have seen as many RPGs or would it have had more of an arcade feel like many of the Megadrive titles?
    eddhorse wrote: »
    Raiden in the office cab. Good shooter but really difficult.

]

You need to watch out for the tanks. They look fairly slow and cumbersome but they're the little feckers who will just pop in on the sly and shoot that one bullet that clips you out of nowhere!

Advertisement