Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I for one am very hype we're getting another Sumo developed Sonic Racing game. Transformed was even better than Outrun 2 SP in my eyes.

Get new eyes!
    It was the first game since Daytona 2001 had me grinding time trials with enthusiasm.

Slight redemption here, as Daytona 2001 is probably the most under recognised racer out there, by the time it came out everyone had shifted to other consoles, but it is a cracker of a title, particularly with the DC steering wheel.
    V Important to adjust the settings if you are using a standard controller though!
    The default controller sensitivity makes it nigh unplayable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I picked up PGR3 shortly after getting my 360, nabbed it for about €16. Didn't like it at first (at the time it didn't run 16:9 on a 1280x1024 monitor and was cropped 5:4 so looked like poo). Then one day 2 years later I sat down to play it for some achievements and ended up enjoying the game.

Big fan of MSR on the Dreamcast, fortunately PGR is a a lot more forgiving! Strangely enough I also didn't enjoy Driveclub much when it first came out, then some updates and DLC later I sat down to play it and enjoyed it. Picked up the Bikes expansion too, I've actually been playing it a fair bit lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Get new eyes!

Slight redemption here, as Daytona 2001 is probably the most under recognised racer out there, by the time it came out everyone had shifted to other consoles, but it is a cracker of a title, particularly with the DC steering wheel.
    V Important to adjust the settings if you are using a standard controller though!
    The default controller sensitivity makes it nigh unplayable.

Transformed is the GOAT. They took the whole drift chaining mechanic and took it even further. Yeah the setting isn't as appealing but by god it plays well.

I had the Japanese version of Daytona 2001 which is apparently even more twitchy than the western release. I noticed it somewhat but it wasn't like I didn't get used to it after 30 mins. When you unlock the extra vehicles it gets really tricky to stop them spinning out, but as I was playing a lot of Scud Race with the McLaren around the same time so I think that's what Nagoshi was going for really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Transformed is the GOAT. They took the whole drift chaining mechanic and took it even further. Yeah the setting isn't as appealing but by god it plays well.

I had the Japanese version of Daytona 2001 which is apparently even more twitchy than the western release. I noticed it somewhat but it wasn't like I didn't get used to it after 30 mins. When you unlock the extra vehicles it gets really tricky to stop them spinning out, but as I was playing a lot of Scud Race with the McLaren around the same time so I think that's what Nagoshi was going for really.

Get the DC wheel, it transforms the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Transformed can never be GOAT when Fzero GX exists.

• Advertisement

Couldn't get on with GX at all.

Aware it is I am wrong cos Nagoshi is arcade racer gawd. It's a personal failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Contra and Super C are easy as well. 1 or 2 afternoons with them will get you to the end especially Super C. The 30 life code actually makes things harder as you use it as a crutch. You play a lot better and learn the game quicker with the starting lives.

In relation to picking Contra up without having played it much before and beating it in a short amount of time, I completely disagree that the 30 life code makes it harder, I get what you mean about it probably preventing you from being better at the game though.
    I beat it there in just over an hour, there is no way in hell I could have beaten it without the 30 lives. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,823 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know. I don't find the game that difficult. The 30 life code means you aren't forced to learn the game so it seems tougher but once you are forced to learn once you have a section off you rarely die on it.

Not retro, but on the topic of playing Forza 2 on 360...Forza 7 :D

iZVTUgB.jpg

Had a go at beating the following NES games in an evening each:

Mario Bros 3 - Got about half way through.
    Mario Bros 2 - Got about half way through.
    Kirby's Adventure - Beat it
    Life Force Salamander - Beat it with 30 life code

All great games. The end of Kirby is so different to the rest of the game, turns into an eerie shoot'em up.

Edit: That puts me on 10 games beaten on the NES as well.

• Advertisement

On a mad psx buzz lately and i'm playing through the first Parasite Eve.
    Have to say i'm enjoying it so far. It's very much a product of it's time but there's some great ideas there and the atmosphere is fantastic.

On a mad psx buzz lately and i'm playing through the first Parasite Eve.
    Have to say i'm enjoying it so far. It's very much a product of it's time but there's some great ideas there and the atmosphere is fantastic.

Adored it. Great action RPG that's well paced and doesn't waste your time.

Just don't bother with the new game plus rogue like mode. It's not worth the grind and the new ending is awful.

And in true PS1 era Squaresoft form the last disc is only a fraction of the first:pac:
    Finished it this morning and I'm delighted I took the time to play it. Great body horror that I'd recommend to anyone

And in true PS1 era Squaresoft form the 2nd disc is only a fraction of the first:pac:
    Finished it this morning and I'm delighted I took the time to play it. Great body horror that I'd recommend to anyone

The sequel goes more traditional survival horror and just isn't that good at all. Such a pity as I feel parasite eve is so much fun and a good contender for best RPG on the PS1.

I was thinking I'd play through the 2nd one next but I dont wanna burn myself out.
    I have Galerians on the way to me now. Seems similar but different enough to keep the interest.
    I took your advice about the "True" ending in EX mode and just watched the clip on Youtube. Glad I did, if I'd played through 77 floor of the Chrysler building for that I dont think I'd have been too happy

It's not even the climbing that is bad. Farming a weapon good enough to get through it is a total chore.

I'd skip the second game. There's better horror games to play even though it looked stunning on release.

The 3rd game on PSP is utter nonsense where aya break because a super waifu by aging backwards but it's actually quite a fun game to play even if the story is gutter thrash. Made by the team that is currently saving projects at square Enix (birth by sleep and ff15).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Beat Axelay on normal, not sure I could stomach it on hard mode. Fantastic game with great music and graphics, really enjoyed stage 4. My affection for Konami from that era knows no bounds. The youtube audio doesn't do the real thing justice.

Played and finished Shaq Fu. While it's very silly and a bit tricky at times, it's not the worst game I've ever played. It's worth it for the novelty :D

The long awaited sequel came out last week and reviewed fairly well I think.

And agreed on the original, nowhere near as bad as people made out.

2 Scoops wrote: »
    Beat Axelay on normal, not sure I could stomach it on hard mode. Fantastic game with great music and graphics, really enjoyed stage 4. My affection for Konami from that era knows no bounds. The youtube audio doesn't do the real thing justice.

It's sacrilege to say it now with shmup fans all being bullet hell or bust but Axelay for me is the finest 16-bit shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

Inviere wrote: »
    After abandoning Resi REmake, I've taken up Link's Awakening...a Zelda game I'd not played much beyond about one hour of in the past! Enjoying it so far
    Inviere wrote: »
    I'm presuming it gets somewhat challenging at some stage? Two dungeons in & finding it quite easy, with hints everywhere re what to do etc. Really enjoying it though, as said above, the art work is boiled down to pure simplicity but still so effective

Finished this the other day, gorgeous little game. Perfect 8-bit Zelda. It does indeed get more difficult towards the end, the final two dungeons were pigs (actual dungeons, not the Egg).

I'm thinking Read Dead Redemption next, have never played it :o

Red Dead Redemption is a pure delight and, if you have been a fan of the western movie genre, even better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,460 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Red Dead Redemption is a pure delight and, if you have been a fan of the western movie genre, even better again.

That's one of those games that just came out of nowhere and blew me away. I always forget about it and then remember the amazing time I had playing it.

There's rumours Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC soon. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Have to say I find open world games very disengaging though. I got a third of the way through GTA5 and lost interest despite the mission design being a step up on the last one I played. These games are so long I get fatigue because I've played half a dozen of them already.

+1 for Red Dead Redemption. I'd like to replay through it again but i need to put the time into games I haven't finished yet. There's a mission towards the end that was a real 'holy ****' moment. Good stuff.

I'm a bit weary of the new one coming out soon seeing as how the two single player DLC for GTA V was cancelled for GTA Online stuff and one of the head guys left apparently.

Rockstar are one of the last few quality developers left. I understand the time they put into GTA Online as it's a huge money maker but I would have still liked some single player content. To be fair they're on the ball with the free content for Online and despite what people keep saying you don't have to buy currency to get new vehicles. You just won't be able to buy absolutely everything in the game.

There's rumours Red Dead Redemption 2 may come to PC soon. Maybe I'll give it a go.

Have to say I find open world games very disengaging though. I got a third of the way through GTA5 and lost interest despite the mission design being a step up on the last one I played. These games are so long I get fatigue because I've played half a dozen of them already.

Red Dead won't change your mind. I don't like the typical open world game formula and Red Dead didn't do anything to change that. I did enjoy the game and it's one of the better examples in the genre but don't feel it's as special as a lot of people make it out to be. Still feel it's worth a play though. It's not that it's bad, it's just not the revelation Breath of the Wild was for me.

Played a few more NES games that are considered beatable in a session.

Marble Madness - Gets pretty difficult after the first few levels, couldn't get past level 4. Very frustrating replaying the same few levels over and over in quick succession. The music on level 2 is great though.

TMNT 2, The Arcade Game - A couple of full runs of this, got about 3/4's the way through. Good game, will play it again, seems pretty beatable with a bit more time.

Tiny Toon Adventures - Beat this one. Probably gave this one the most time. It's a much better game than I was expecting, good fun, reckon I'll play it again. Think I prefer it to Ducktales yet you don't really hear of Tiny Toons getting recommended much. It's definitely not as easy as some people make out, some parts are fairly tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Wardner and Black Tiger (MAME)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Wardner and Black Tiger (MAME)

Ohhh love me some Black Tiger

• Advertisement

SGDQ made me want to play some more Zelda.

So I started Ocarina of Time on 3DS

It's amazing how the game running at a framerate that isn't near criminal makes it so much better.

Advertisement