Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Did the Yakuza series take over from Shenmue in anyway?
    I own the DC games but I've never played them.

They're pretty much the spiritual sequels.

They're also good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But do they have sailors?

No, but there's a boat in one of the games. It's kinda the same

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If they don't have endlessly looking at a Timex while wandering around trying to try to activate some vague QTE then I've no interest.

• Advertisement

The ability to illuminate the Timex is a nice touch I will admit

Master of the Universe

I have just discovered that Timex made an official Shenmue watch and released it in Japan. It is apparently extremely rare.

I must have one. :D

• Doing another Marathon of the Half-Life series.
    I cannot get past the third level of Half Life Decay on the PS2 :P (the only Half-Life campaign I haven't completed)

I'm going to try it on the Steam version - I think there is a mod now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Inviere

Waiting on Black Mesa to to finished before I begin my own Half Life marathon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I wasn't very impressed by Black Mesa however no true completionist should miss Hunt Down The Freeman.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Started Ys Oath in Felghana recently and it's just so much fun. Falcom really are the kings of action RPGs. It just feels so much fun to beat up enemies and zip around the screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Started Ys Oath in Felghana recently and it's just so much fun. Falcom really are the kings of action RPGs. It just feels so much fun to beat up enemies and zip around the screen.

Sounds like SoR again

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Sounds like SoR again

Did you just admit that Streets of Rage is fun? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been meaning to play Streets or Rage 2 the last while, need to clean the cart though it wasn't working last time.

Need to get back a Alien Trilogy too. Got to the third world very quickly, game is shorter then I remembered. Just got a new battery for the Saturn so I don't have to keep taking pictures of the passwords :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    Still plugging away at battletoads on the NES.

Have made it to level 7 - Volkmire's Inferno

The turbo tunnel has become super easy, can get through it without dying once. Find level 5 - Surf City more frustrating.

After the first go of the snakes level I thought I'd get through it handy enough but then spent ages on it.

Have made it to the final level of battletoads, havn't made it to the final boss yet.
    The first few times I tried the level 'clinger winger' where you have to stay ahead of a chasing orb, I thought that's as far as I'll get, it seemed impossible. From what I've heard it is genuinely impossible on hdtv screens because of the input lag. Finally managed to beat it and now find it handy enough which is surprising.
    Fairly confident I'll beat the game by the end of the month, and then burn it and never play it again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Quake 3 Arena.. on a fanless Atom netbook that gets 90FPS rock solid. I just installed it to see does it behave itself on: A netbook, Windows 10. Yes, is the answer.

Followed this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165867114 to get a proper widescreen resolution and Bob's your uncle..

Installed on a whim after having a few Quake Legends videos suggested to me on YouTube.

Close to 18 years now, since I'd log onto a server at Salford (UK) City College, where there was a lowly server tucked away in a rather dusty room, playing nothing but Q3CTF1 - "Dueling Keeps".. My AMD K6-III+ 450 could hardly keep up.

Salford City College ran, and still do, a course on games design/computer and video games. Always a busy and friendly server.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Cant sleep so I thought it would be a good idea to finally start Secret of Mana on the snes.

Amalgam wrote: »
    Quake 3 Arena.. on a fanless Atom netbook that gets 90FPS rock solid. I just installed it to see does it behave itself on: A netbook, Windows 10. Yes, is the answer.

Followed this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=165867114 to get a proper widescreen resolution and Bob's your uncle..

Installed on a whim after having a few Quake Legends videos suggested to me on YouTube.

Close to 18 years now, since I'd log onto a server at Salford (UK) City College, where there was a lowly server tucked away in a rather dusty room, playing nothing but Q3CTF1 - "Dueling Keeps".. My AMD K6-III+ 450 could hardly keep up.

Salford City College ran, and still do, a course on games design/computer and video games. Always a busy and friendly server.

One thing I love about PC games is some of them are easily modded to support higher resolutions and modern computers and a lot of the time the graphics are decent enough and look pretty decent with the higher resolution.

I think Silent Hill 2 was just editing a settings.ini file or something and it looks pretty good. I think one of the games needed an FOV fix for it but it was pretty straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Started playing the first Ratchet and Clank.

333ke1t.jpg

Spent last night playing this with a couple of friends, great laugh, might make a panel up for it

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Only after discovering now that Resident Evil 2 had a Dreamcast release.

Anyone ever play it? Does it offer much over the PS1 version?

It's pretty much the same game but has a good few extras like galleries and model viewers. Probably the most complete version of the game.

Also looks great over VGA and I prefer the controls but that's a personal preference, I think the DC and GC versions are the same.

Also looks great over VGA and I prefer the controls but that's a personal preference, I think the DC and GC versions are the same.

GC PAL version in 50 Hz and I think it also features Vaseline-o-vision (tm). Dreamcast PAL version might also be 50Hz game.

Finished a 2 player run of Streets of Rage 2 the other day and still getting through THPS2. Might play Bully on PS4, not sure what to play at the moment though so mainly watching some TV.

Beat Battletoads on the NES. :eek:

No warps, did use a continue on the dark queen though so lost the max score that I had going. There's a hell of a lot to the game after the turbo tunnel, just takes a lot of time and patience to play your way through.

End screens:

IMAG1412.jpg

IMAG1413.jpg

IMAG1419.jpg

IMAG1421.jpg

IMAG1425.jpg

IMAG1430.jpg

IMAG1431.jpg

IMAG1434.jpg

IMAG1438.jpg

IMAG1440.jpg

Congrats :)

Been playing Mega Man 2 on the NES. Don't think I ever beat it as a kid, used a lot of continues but beat it there.

Some end screens:

IMAG1472.jpg

IMAG1477.jpg

IMAG1481.jpg

IMAG1483.jpg

IMAG1491.jpg

Beat it on hard now! Normal was added for the American release and is too easy and removes some interesting enemy behaviours. It's much better on hard.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Started Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door yesterday. Been sitting there on a shelf for ages - didn't know too much about it or that it was an RPG till I fired it up :D

I don't know how I haven't played this sooner. The sense of humour and charm to it has a real Itoi/Earthbound feel to it.

Advertisement