Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,569 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Anyone ever have trouble playing through Shenmue 2 and getting the 'data read error' when loading? (I'm using a legit disc)

You can be playing for an hour or two, decide to save it and then get the error when the hotel with the save section is loading up (losing all of your progress). It's incredibly frustrating :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Since God of War is not doing anything for me I decided to play some videogame comfort food and started the PC version of FF8. Having a lot of fun with it even if I'm finding the card game too addictive and spending more time on it than the actual game. The story is still utter nonsense but I just love how broken the battle system is and how much fun it is to destroy the games systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Kim Justice did a very extensive video on ff8 last year.

Not really retro but I've just started Nier Automata. Hoping it works as a decent intro to Platinum Games other 3D fighters which I find a bit baffling. Played thru Dark Souls since last trying Bayonetta so that'll probably help too.

In last month I've pretty much beaten Mario 3d land, Mario Maker and New Super Mario bros 1 & 2 a couple of times except that the young fella likes making me replay random levels half the time instead of the next one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Revengeance I'd probably the best starting point. Nier is a bit low budget so combat gets repetitive and doesn't have the nuance their better games gave.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Beat it on hard now! Normal was added for the American release and is too easy and removes some interesting enemy behaviours. It's much better on hard.

Completed it there on Difficult. Definitely better. Couple of the more noticeable differences were the end boss taking a lot more hits and the shell fish things on bubble man don't die when you hit them, their shells pop off and they run around like mad. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I bought Revengeance in a sale a few years back and didn't get on with it but I'll try again next. I've been trying to get into these dodging based combat systems since Viewtiful Joe came out and I'm getting there at last just doesn't come to me that naturally.

Nier has a few rough edges due to budget but they're smart about it. I like how they're trying to use the limited areas and enemy types in different ways. The movement is undeniably satisfying which is kind of a novelty in an rpg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

I recently went on a Steam rampage and bought pretty much every old school Doom and Doom add-on available on the Steam store. Same with Wolfenstein 3D (and Spear of Destiny), Quake and Quake II. Also got the complete pack of Commander Keen titles, Blake Stone: Planet Strike, a collection of Heretic/Hexen titles.

Right now I've been trying to play my way through some of the Commander Keen titles.

I bought them all on steam and am quite annoyed that they run really poorly with lots of issues. Ended up using fan mods to get them working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Been playing Duck Tales on the NES. It's a game that tends to show up on lists of easy NES games but I actually found it a bit more difficult than people make out. Fun game, lots of areas to explore and extra items to find that are not a requirement for completing the levels.

Some end screens:

IMAG1517.jpg

IMAG1507.jpg

IMAG1503.jpg

IMAG1498.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I bought them all on steam and am quite annoyed that they run really poorly with lots of issues. Ended up using fan mods to get them working.

Old PC games in a nutshell - they may require some fine tuning to facilitate optimal performance.

• Advertisement

On the last stage of legend of zelda. It's an absolute nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Inviere

On the last stage of legend of zelda. It's an absolute nightmare.

Played through it on the 3DS VC a few years back. An obscurely difficult pig of a game at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

accensi0n wrote: »
    Been playing Duck Tales on the NES. It's a game that tends to show up on lists of easy NES games but I actually found it a bit more difficult than people make out. Fun game, lots of areas to explore and extra items to find that are not a requirement for completing the levels.

Just completed it the other night too! Weird.

I agree. It's not as easy as some people go on about it but it's certainly easy when compared to a lot of the NES library. Fantastic game and loved how you could complete a level and miss certain paths and even bosses. You can see how much Shovel Knight took from it.

I'm onto Ninja Gaiden at the moment. Music is so good. Seeing a cut scene on an NES game is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing through some of the old Lucasarts point & clicks using Scummvm on my tablet at the moment, really enjoying them even though I've to dip into a FAQ on occasion - currently on 'Indy and the Last Crusade'.

Resident Evil REmake on Steam...first time playthrough of the game! :o

Inviere wrote: »

Bleugh, not sure I can tolerate finite saving & inventory management at my age :(

Master of the Universe

Haha yeah, running out of typewriter ribbons always stressed me the feck out!

Couple of hours into the original Luigi's Mansion now. I played through the 3DS sequel when it came out but never actually played the original.

It's such a polished game, hard to think it's nearly 17 years old!

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha yeah, running out of typewriter ribbons always stressed me the feck out!

Typewriter ribbons and the inability to 'drop' items (meaning you've to backtrack significantly to free up inventory slots). Nah, I caved. City Skylines for the moment it is! Total time sink though.
    Couple of hours into the original Luigi's Mansion now. I played through the 3DS sequel when it came out but never actually played the original.

It's such a polished game, hard to think it's nearly 17 years old!

^^ really must do the same myself at some stage, always meant to give the game a proper go.

I find there's way more ink ribbons than you need in Resi and if you plan your route you shouldn't have much need of backtracking. Planning your route to the next item box is part of the fun.

That strategy and management is sorely missing from every other Resi game.

I find there's way more ink ribbons than you need in Resi and if you plan your route you shouldn't have much need of backtracking. Planning your route to the next item box is part of the fun.

That strategy and management is sorely missing from every other Resi game.

Planning your route is perfectly fine on subsequent playthroughs, but when you've not got a clue about the mansion, & its all new to you, it's a slightly tiresome mechanic. I could live with it though. The big killer for me was the rigid inventory system. Not being able to 'drop' items is just painful. That being said, I was enjoying the game up until my inventory became an issue.

• Advertisement

Planning your route is perfectly fine on subsequent playthroughs, but when you've not got a clue about the mansion, & its all new to you, it's a slightly tiresome mechanic. I could live with it though. The big killer for me was the rigid inventory system. Not being able to 'drop' items is just painful. That being said, I was enjoying the game up until my inventory became an issue.

Play as Jill first. She is the easy mode. She gets two more inventory slots than Chris. Chris with the 6 slots is very limited for a first playthrough.

Would be a shame to miss out on Resi 1 and REmake. They're amazing games and unlike any other survival horror game or Resident Evil.

Play as Jill first. She is the easy mode. She gets two more inventory slots than Chris. Chris with the 6 slots is very limited for a first playthrough.

Would be a shame to miss out on Resi 1 and REmake. They're amazing games and unlike any other survival horror game or Resident Evil.

I was playing as Jill :o I was progressing, albeit early on, and found myself with a full inventory within the first two hours or so. Even combining herbs, reloading the gun to remove clips, etc, it got full. Backtracking to a chest to offload items was the deal breaker for me. Maybe I'll go back to it another time, now that I know what I'm dealing with.

Been playing a lot of FF8 lately but I'm nowhere in the story. Once you know how to play the game it's incredibly easy to break and I'm having too much fun with that. Also triple triad is probably the best card mini game ever and is taking up a lot of time as well

Master of the Universe

I was playing as Jill :o I was progressing, albeit early on, and found myself with a full inventory within the first two hours or so. Even combining herbs, reloading the gun to remove clips, etc, it got full. Backtracking to a chest to offload items was the deal breaker for me. Maybe I'll go back to it another time, now that I know what I'm dealing with.

You need to unload more of those surplus clips into Zombies! :D

You need to unload more of those surplus clips into Zombies! :D

Off hand that I can remember, I had a Survival Knife, an Armour Plaque thing, a Handgun, a clip, a combined green herb, a book of some description, a jewel, and a typewriter ribbon - full inventory. Reached the shotgun hanging on the wall & couldn't take it :rolleyes:

Master of the Universe

Off hand that I can remember, I had a Survival Knife, an Armour Plaque thing, a Handgun, a clip, a combined green herb, a book of some description, a jewel, and a typewriter ribbon - full inventory. Reached the shotgun hanging on the wall & couldn't take it :rolleyes:

Sure who needs a shotgun for taking out zombies when you have ribbons and jewels! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Sure who needs a shotgun for taking out zombies when you have ribbons and jewels! :D

Sounds more like 'My Little Pony'...

Get rid of the survival knife, it's useless unless you are doing a knife run. The plaque should be stored away unless you picked it up. Also don't bother carrying typewriter ribbons. There's always a ribbon at each typewriter and in the majority or cases the typewriters are beside storage boxes.

Get rid of the survival knife, it's useless unless you are doing a knife run. The plaque should be stored away unless you picked it up. Also don't bother carrying typewriter ribbons. There's always a ribbon at each typewriter and in the majority or cases the typewriters are beside storage boxes.

Now he tells me....:D

• Advertisement

Well hope it helps when you finally go back to the classic Resi games. Would be a shame to miss out on the experience.

BTW both Resi 1 and REmake are both quite different experiences so worth playing both. REmake brilliant remixes the first game so it's different enough that it doesn't supercede the original, meaning there's more Resi goodness for everyone!

Advertisement