Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SGDQ made me want to play some more Zelda.

So I started Ocarina of Time on 3DS

It's amazing how the game running at a framerate that isn't near criminal makes it so much better.

I really enjoyed OoT back on the N64, when we knew no different it was just stunning, especially that music accompanied fly by of the village at the start.
    Sure, framerates went into double figures and it didn't look like vaseline was smeared on the tv in later iterations, but the game was still the game, which was marvelous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't know.

It was a great game but even back then the game engine just stunk of jank because of how stuttery it was. At least it wasn't a horrible warping mess with polygon clipping like a PS1 game.

The game running at a solid 30 FPS now just make the game engine feel so much more solid and the better textures help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

The game running at a solid 30 FPS now just make the game engine feel so much more solid and the better textures help.

I'd consider the 3DS version now the definitive version to play, there's very very little reason to pick N64 over 3DS now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    I'd consider the 3DS version now the definitive version to play, there's very very little reason to pick N64 over 3DS now.

Love to see that 3DS version upscaled for the Switch.
    A double pack with MM as well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Love to see that 3DS version upscaled for the Switch.

Citra says Hello :D Not entirely sure how playable it is, 3DS emulation isn't something I've dabbled with at all barring setting it up & seeing the games running. OoT with internal resolution bumped to x3/x4 is utterly gorgeous though!

• Advertisement

Here's a video comparison of Citra at 4k resolution, side by side with stock 3DS resolution. While the Switch might not hit 4k, it should easily outperform the 3DS anyway, if OoT was ever to be ported to it

Inviere wrote: »
    Here's a video comparison of Citra at 4k resolution, side by side with stock 3DS resolution. While the Switch might not hit 4k, it should easily outperform the 3DS anyway, if OoT was ever to be ported to it

Suggests that whatever Ninty produce to replace the Virtual Console on the Switch really needs to include the 3DS and to see classic and modern titles there enjoying a new lease of HD life.
    I mean, Super Mario 3D Land, OoT, MM and a host of others would be sure fire sellers, particularly among those who are fresh to the Switch and didn't own a 3DS, not to mention a cost effective way of bringing the best of the Pokemon series, though that could dilute the impact of the eventual Switch specific main franchise adventure.

One of the issues is with 3DS porting is the dual screen/touch controls. They'd need to section off a portion of the Switch screen (while keeping its formatting correct), and implement an ergonomic method of touch/stylus input. The 3DS was small enough to hold in one hand while drawing/clicking with the stylus, I'm not sure the Switch would be though...

Depends on the release, many 3DS titles, particularly themselves ports like OoT, can be easily converted back to a traditional gaming arrangement.
    I mean, Super Mario 3D World is essentially an expanded port of 3D Land, and while it retains some touch screen functionality it would work just fine with the Switch and it's built in motion controls... gods help us...

I'm hoping for a Skyward Sword port myself, with motion controls disabled!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought the motion controls worked great in that game for the most part. Flying the bird was atrocious though.

The main issue with Skyward sword is that it just isn't a good game. Its way too linear. Everything plays out like it's a dungeon and there's no down time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The main issue with Skyward sword is that it just isn't a good game. Its way too linear. Everything plays out like it's a dungeon and there's no down time.

Not to mention the 6 millions year long tutorial that seems to think it's the first video game to have ever existed and you need to be led by the nose the whole way. Christ, the tedium. It's bizarre that SS and BotW are even part of the same series made by the same people.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Not retro but am just about to start Valkyria Chronicles Remastered am looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,443 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Started Persona 4 again last night. It's one of those games I've tried to play through a few times but end up not finishing it.

Don't know why as it's absolutely great! Going to see if I can get another 3-4 hours in this evening.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Started Persona 4 again last night. It's one of those games I've tried to play through a few times but end up not finishing it.

Don't know why as it's absolutely great! Going to see if I can get another 3-4 hours in this evening.

Maybe because it's 80-120 hours long so a big investment! I usually get side tracked a little while playing so you have to drag yourself back in to finish it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Steam summer sales resulted in my desktop being overloaded with nostalgia. I've been trying to hone my skills on Doom 3, Quake (1-4) and Unreal (Unreal '98-3 Black).

Also bought classics like Myst, Oddworld, Half Life 1 and 2, Stronghold Crusader, GTA (III-San Andreas), Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Red Faction's I and II, Star Wars Dark Forces and Mega Man Legacy Collection.

I'm all geared up to spend the rest of my summer trying to complete at least half of them.

Master of the Universe

Maybe because it's 80-120 hours long so a big investment! I usually get side tracked a little while playing so you have to drag yourself back in to finish it.

Jaysus, didn't realise it was that long! :eek: that definitely explains it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I think Persona 4 probably has the beast pacing of the modern persona games so that might make a difference. Though Golden was the one I finally managed to beat so I'm not sure how the latter game in the original compares.
    Still man to go back and do the FeMC route in Persona 3 Portable.

Infernum wrote: »
    Steam summer sales resulted in my desktop being overloaded with nostalgia. I've been trying to hone my skills on Doom 3, Quake (1-4) and Unreal (Unreal '98-3 Black).

Also bought classics like Myst, Oddworld, Half Life 1 and 2, Stronghold Crusader, GTA (III-San Andreas), Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Red Faction's I and II, Star Wars Dark Forces and Mega Man Legacy Collection.

I'm all geared up to spend the rest of my summer trying to complete at least half of them.

I really enjoyed Quake, Quake 2&4 and Doom 3.
    I have Doom 3 on the OG Xbox and it's a marvel they got it on there, running so well.
    I have it on the 360 as well, the BFG edition, which comes with the DLC and, handily, also works on the XBOne.

Master of the Universe

Just remembered the Wiiu outputs analog 480i!

BOTW looks absolutely gorgeous. Great thing about this too is that it allows me to stream video content to the BVM via Youtube/netflix.

Best way to watch standard def 80s and 90s anime :)

zelda_botw.jpg

• Advertisement

Finished Ninja Gaiden Black on Normal.

I only played the original version of Ninja Gaiden before. I was sceptical at how much the improvements Black brought improved the game but it's just so much better. The swallow Dive is no longer overpowered and there's less reliance on defence as enemies have grab attacks meaning you cant turtle up.

I means Ninja Gaiden has been transformed from an amazing game to the best character action game eve made in my opinion. So much so that it's actually ruined my enjoyment of the new God of War. I just can't get into it because it's no where near as good as NGB.

Going to try the higher difficulty levels as apparently it adds brand new enemies and really changes things up. Although saying that, my first attempt at hard mode ended before the first checkpoint.

I dug out my copy of NGB for the Xbox but have yet to try it out, as I failed so spectacularly the first time I tried to play Ninja Gaiden.
    Must actually try it, though it is likely to break my heart!

It's harsh but fair. There's always places you can stock up on healing items and there's only one or two difficulty spikes, the first boss when you don't understand the game, and Alma who can go suck all the dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Doom on the Saturn, which I'm promptly turning off. The frame rate is awful, it's actually giving me a headache. Must be 15fps or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Tom and Jerry on the NES. It's alright, lots of slowdown though.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Just started Final Fantasy 8 again for the millionth time :) love that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

Gonna fire in WipEout 3 (1999) into the ps3 tonight and continue on with it over the weekend. So much futuristic goodness there. The art design and electronica soundtrack are terrific. I'm interested in the special edition but not so much in the price it's going for. Looks like another emulation job then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been undecided of what to play recently across all consoles, so I've been playing Wipeout Omega Collection on PS4 :)

Gonna fire in WipEout 3 (1999) into the ps3 tonight and continue on with it over the weekend. So much futuristic goodness there. The art design and electronica soundtrack are terrific. I'm interested in the special edition but not so much in the price it's going for. Looks like another emulation job then.

Wip3out SE is the one to find though, I got it on release and, contrary to my normal modus operandi, I never sold it on!
    Looks amazing still, think it used the PS HD mode, didn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Wip3out SE is the one to find though, I got it on release and, contrary to my normal modus operandi, I never sold it on!
    Looks amazing still, think it used the PS HD mode, didn't it?

Heard some good things about it--never played it though, the SE. It must be the best version of Wipeout on the ps1 and one of the best racers for that system. Hardly anyone knows about it, I only found out about it last year and I'd consider myself clued in enough about the ps1.

Advertisement