Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Fecking "I'm Daisy" ruined it for me, I blame Retr0 and Dinorex, because I can't remember which one was swapping her out all the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!
    Hi I'm Daisy!

:pac::pac::pac:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

God help you if Daisy is your designated, rubber-banding rival throughout Double Dash's All Cup mode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    God help you if Daisy is your designated, rubber-banding rival throughout Double Dash's All Cup mode.

I've come 1st in a perfect 100cc Mushroom Cup as the Koopa Troopas, and I'm glad to inform you that she came last :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Burzum

Playing Super Strike Gunner for the SNES at the minute. It's not bad but its not great either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've come 1st in a perfect 100cc Mushroom Cup as the Koopa Troopas, and I'm glad to inform you that she came last :).

No small feat. Actually went back to Double Dash not too long having played like 9 billion hours of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (conservative estimate) and was surprised as to how merciless the Double Dash AI is.

Like, for example, I recall a few years back I was finishing up the All Cup on 150cc and only needed to finish 3rd to win it out on points. All was going fine until exactly the last stretch of the last lap of Rainbow Road and then everyone, and not a syllable of exaggeration, every god damn bit of AI decided I had to go. To say I was hockeyed out of it is underselling it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,051 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The final cup of Double Dash did my head in. The AI is an awful cheating swine in that game. It drove me up the wall.

At least It made me so good at Rainbow Road in that game that I embarrassed everyone at the beers when we played it and I finished at least 10 minutes before everyone else.

The final cup of Double Dash did my head in. The AI is an awful cheating swine in that game. It drove me up the wall.

At least It made me so good at Rainbow Road in that game that I embarrassed everyone at the beers when we played it and I finished at least 10 minutes before everyone else.

That was awesome, the Beers and projectors, not the fecking Rainbow Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

That was a disaster, half of us didn't know which car we were controlling at the start! A practice lap would have helped!

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    That was a disaster, half of us didn't know which car we were controlling at the start! A practice lap would have helped!

Excuses...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

Excuses...

Not hard to beat 7 others when they dont even know which car they're controlling on screen! ;)

Its not a petty excuse like blaming a poor Ghost and Goblins run on a controller! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Its not a petty excuse like blaming a poor Ghost and Goblins run on a controller! :pac:

Is he still at that? Last time it was dodgy emulation on Ciderdudes cab :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is he still at that? Last time it was dodgy emulation on Ciderdudes cab :D

Ha!
    A dodgy arcade stick Megadrive thingy, he was right of course, brutal emulation but it was a lousy controller.
    But then, he used that excuse so often!
    Plus, he can't twerk!

Not hard to beat 7 others when they dont even know which car they're controlling on screen! ;)

There's beating 7 others.

Then there's finishing the race, walking down stairs, having a long chat then wandering back upstairs and wondering why nobody else has finished :pac:

I played GnG again in an arcade recently and I've near totally lost my knack for that game.... still blame the controller!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Inviere

Only beating 7 others? Pfft, noob :p

Then there's finishing the race, walking down stairs, having a long chat then wandering back upstairs and wondering why nobody else has finished :pac:

I played GnG again in an arcade recently and I've near totally lost my knack for that game.... still blame the controller!

I thought we were playing outside?

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Haha! Where did he go?

Do you have a basement under your front lawn populated with gnomes?

o1s1n wrote: »
    Haha! Where did he go?

Do you have a basement under your front lawn populated with gnomes?

Sshhhh....
    That's where the command centre is...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

The Rainbow Road massacre occurred in the games room.

This place is full of rainbow road massacre deniers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

The Rainbow Road massacre occurred in the games room.

This place is full of rainbow road massacre deniers.

shudder..I hope to NEVER see Rainbow Road again for the rest of my life...it was that bad!

So on a bit of a videogaming lul at the moment, nothing really excites me so taking a break for a while and catching up on TV shows.

Was back in my parents today and with only a 360 to entertain me I went on the store and saw Ninja Gaiden Black. Bought it and gave it a quick go and my god I'd forgotten how utterly amazing the game is. The combat mechanics married with the level design and just the how satisfying everything is to do (other than controlling the camera), it's a true masterpiece.

It got me thinking. Those types of mechanics and painstakingly designed levels just are not present in modern Triple A games. You only get it in the best indie games and the odd game like Dark Souls/Bloodborne. Its no wonder modern big budget games weren't exciting me. Nothing can hold a candle to excitement you get from the likes of Ninja Gaiden, something I felt was a lot more common during that era of gaming.

I've been meaning to play Shenmue for a few years now so yesterday i decided enough was enough, its time to have a blast off of it and it was... a bit crap.

I see what they were trying to do with the game and I commend them for it but imo they failed entirely. The time system is infuriating, with no ability to speed it up so while i'm waiting for someone to appear at around "7ish" I have to kill time by playing with the toy capsule machine or going for a game of Space Harrier.
    Thats fine for a while but when I can't find your man im looking for I go home, in to bed and start it all again the next day, waiting an age playing the capsule machine again:mad: The pacing here is shockingly bad.
    Also, the combat is boring and the QTE pointless.
    I know ive probably not even scratched the surface of the game and personally I love a slow burner but Shenmue has done nothing to entice me to fire it up again today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Shenmue is terrible for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus the story and voice acting are horrendous. The only part I enjoyed was playing good games at the arcade and maybe the novelty of the capsule toys. Wait till you get to the infuriation that is forklift racing. I'm a Sega fanboy, although admittedly not a huge adventure game fan, and I couldn't really find much enjoyment from it and gave up just before the end feeling quite perplexed as to why it's considered a work of genius.

Master of the Universe

Philistines! :D

Shenmue is great, the problem is it's 20 years old. Most of the key components in it which were groundbreaking at the time have been surpassed many times over in subsequent games and are things we just take for granted now - So the original concepts come off looking a tad archaic.

Still holds it own IMO, played through it 3 - 4 years ago and really enjoyed it.

I agree it was groundbreaking for it's time but when you force the player to be at a certain place at a particular time to progress the story but give them precious little to occupy their time while waiting, then thats just bad game design.
    At no point in gaming history would end users have said that sounded like a good idea

Master of the Universe

See it's just not a traditional 'game' in that respect so I don't think it deserves to be treated as such. It's meant to be a virtual life simulator. You get bored in real life. Go to the arcade and play Space Harrier for a while to kill some time. Enjoy the weather (!). Listen to some tunes on the walkman. It's a bizarre concept and hasn't aged particularly well as I was saying, but if you try and get your mind into that kind of sphere of thinking you can really see what the devs were going for.

Not to say I wasn't frustrated at those parts, I was. But that's life :pac:

Anyone know where I can find some sailors?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,572 ✭✭✭Inviere

Anyone know where I can find some sailors?

...that picture in 3, 2, 1....

• Advertisement

Did the Yakuza series take over from Shenmue in anyway?
    I own the DC games but I've never played them.

Advertisement