Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember Spyro the first time, on the PS, very nice it looked alright, had the free roaming thing that Crash lacked but wasn't as nicely textured, plus they were all playing catch up with Super Mario 64

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Played a good bit of Metal Slug X on the cab today. Threw me back a few years as it was the first MVS cart I ever bought for my old woody cab. I miss that ugly monster!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I have no mouth and must scream. I wanted to check out what else Cyberdream had released, being a fan of Darkseed. Wished I would have left this alone, very depressing. :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    I have no mouth and must scream. I wanted to check out what else Cyberdream had released, being a fan of Darkseed. Wished I would have left this alone, very depressing. :/

You should give the short story this game is based on a read. I think the game follows the same story but fleshes it out a lot more. Interestingly it was actually written by the writer of the short story as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And a great writer he is too, wrote a bunch of twilight zone episodes too.

Classic age of Sci fi, the 50s, 60s and 70s,certainly better than this era of overwrought space operas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    And a great writer he is too, wrote a bunch of twilight zone episodes too.

Classic age of Sci fi, the 50s, 60s and 70s,certainly better than this era of overwrought space operas.

Still some good sci fi out there. If you have a way of reading kindle books check out The Martian by Andy Weir.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Played some more Castlevania 64. Died more times because of the camera then anything else.

According to EnterNow I'm not playing anything right now as I am not allowed by my wife.... he may have a point :(
    But I am determined to find her a hobby that will take her out of the house for hours at a time, freeing up the tv for gaming... somehow....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

Been playing a lot of motocross maniacs by Konami on Gameboy, like excitebike but turbo charged

Retropolis wrote: »
    Been playing a lot of motocross maniacs by Konami on Gameboy, like excitebike but turbo charged

I used to love the likes of BMX and ATV Simulator on the Spectrum, by Codemasters, really good fun they were.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

ATV Simulator on the Spectrum

That rings a bell...was that on the C64 too?

EnterNow wrote: »
    That rings a bell...was that on the C64 too?

Think so, they were immensely popular, budget games uses to stink but the likes of Finders Keepers, I Ball and BMX Simulator changed it all
    Plus full price games were often a waste of money, with the likes of Ultimate reheating the same stuff again and again after Alien8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ive giving up on the first ratchet and clank game.

one part in the mission is broken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

Just recently went on a bit of a splurge and got myself super mario bros and kirby's dreamland for the gameboy. Completed kirby in about an hour, but it's nearly a week later and I'm only on the 7th world in mario. Tough little game that! Ahh, memories :)

Fbjm wrote: »
    Just recently went on a bit of a splurge and got myself super mario bros and kirby's dreamland for the gameboy. Completed kirby in about an hour, but it's nearly a week later and I'm only on the 7th world in mario. Tough little game that! Ahh, memories :)

Kirby on the Gameboy is good but the Nes game and the later titles in the series are excellent.
    It's worth tracking down the DS game, it's got a selection of great Kirby games all in one package.

I've the two European released Kirby games incoming for the Wii, Epic Yarn and Kirbys Adventure, can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

After buying it on the PSN some months ago I finally spent a couple of hours with Castlevania SOTN last night. aside from looking shoite on the flatscreen What a game! had to tear myself away and will be straight back to it after work today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Kirby on the Gameboy is good but the Nes game and the later titles in the series are excellent.
    It's worth tracking down the DS game, it's got a selection of great Kirby games all in one package.

I've the two European released Kirby games incoming for the Wii, Epic Yarn and Kirbys Adventure, can't wait.

What ds game is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,564 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Canvas curse was one I think I remember playing through on the DS?

What ds game is that?

Kirby super star ultra. I think it's basically Kirby Fun Pak for the Snes, now I could be incorrect.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Canvas curse was one I think I remember playing through on the DS?

There also the mouse flavoured one and mass attack.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Kirby super star ultra. I think it's basically Kirby Fun Pak for the Snes, now I could be incorrect.

That's the one, a cracking collection.
    Outside of 2d platformers the franchise is uneven. Kirby 64 is odd, there's Dreamcourse on the Snes with a golf thing going on and then there's the wholesale WTF of Kirbys Air Ride.

That's the one, a cracking collection.
    Outside of 2d platformers the franchise is uneven. Kirby 64 is odd, there's Dreamcourse on the Snes with a golf thing going on and then there's the wholesale WTF of Kirbys Air Ride.

For me Kirby 64, imo is one of the greatest games ever made, everything about it is fantastic, simple but utter perfection, Kirby in general i think gets a raw deal, i consider him to be up there with Mario and (gonna get flamed) Kirby's adventure wipes the floor with SMW/SMB3.

Go on Kirby my auld kicker.

Cider you forgot the puzzle game on Snes, Ghost Trap.

Agree with some of what Retropolis said and there is definitely a lot more experimentation with Kirby than there is with Mario just look at Mass Attack and powerbrush.

Kirby 64 seems to share an awful lot of DNA with Yoshis Story too.

The Kirby series is what Nintendo usually slaps onto a game idea they have that is bizarre and original to give it some selling power so it doesn't get ignored. For this reason there's plenty of really great and orignal Kirby games.

I wasn't as fond of Kirby 64 as some people here but it's still a good game. I much prefer Kirby's wackier stuff like Canvas Curse, Tilt n'Tumble and Dream Course.

Kirby 64 seems to share an awful lot of DNA with Yoshis Story too.

yoshi story was a joke, compared to yoshi's island and added nothing to the series while Kirby 64 added so much more flavor to the Kirby series.

Just beat Castlevania on the N64. Despite the dodgy level design at times and ropey jumping controls there's a great game in there waiting to get out if only it had more time in development.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just beat Castlevania on the N64. Despite the dodgy level design at times and ropey jumping controls there's a great game in there waiting to get out if only it had more time in development.

WARNING!

This man also appreciates Zelda on the CDi

Be aware that his opinions are suspect, however confidently delivered!!!

WARNING!

Retropolis wrote: »
    yoshi story was a joke, compared to yoshi's island and added nothing to the series while Kirby 64 added so much more flavor to the Kirby series.

I have to say I enjoyed Yoshis Story a lot, can't wait for Yoshis Epic Yarn.

• Advertisement

WARNING!

This man also appreciates Zelda on the CDi

Be aware that his opinions are suspect, however confidently delivered!!!

WARNING!

Well it seems to have a bad reputation from N64 fans butt hurt because it is what they got instead of SotN and also the AVGN video where he got stuck and said he had to start again because of a bug. The real problem was he was pressing the wrong button and it's his own silly fault. It's not an amazing game by any stretch of the imagination and there's some awful levels like the one when you have to carry the nitro around but it's far from bad and some of the bosses are great.

Advertisement