Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    So, there's a question,
    Which is the better game?
    Jet Set Radio
    Or
    Jet Set Radio Future?

Those who say Jet Grind Radio can get out!

I have the one they made for the GBA as well, a valiant attempt but the little system just ain't got the horses to pull it off.

Speaking of FZero, loved FzeroX on the N64 but FZero GX is just an amazing game, needs a HD update, no need for any other changes, just amazing that game.

Jet Set Radio purely for the fact that doing the graffiti is more time consuming and requires slightly more skill which to me makes running away from the cops whilst making sure I tag everything alot more exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Oh those Jet Set games are horrible... I'd rather play Madden and I hate sports games....
    How can someone not like the JSR games?!

The reason I bought a DC.... And an Xbox!

Preferred the first one, better soundtrack (which is the only game related soundtrack I'd listen to apart from the Tony Hawks series), better characters, better setting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Been playing a bit of hybrid heaven recently because I heard it's a bit nuts and it really is.

It's a conspiracy theory RPG with a stupid story and a combat system that has you using a variety of grapples and wrestling moves on enemies. I'm actually quite enjoying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Loved JSRF on the xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

How can someone not like the JSR games?!

The reason I bought a DC.... And an Xbox!

Preferred the first one, better soundtrack (which is the only game related soundtrack I'd listen to apart from the Tony Hawks series), better characters, better setting.

Another really good game to do with graffiti that I really need to get again is Marc Eko's getting up! Bit more like a closed GTA, but for graffiti fans it's really cool due to actual graffiti artists are in the game and it has a really good soundtrack if your into urban, can't do wrong with a bit of B.I.G And gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retropolis wrote: »
    Another really good game to do with graffiti that I really need to get again is Marc Eko's getting up.

I remember that one, a big push behind it.
    Everyone waited for the launch and promptly went out and bought something else instead!

I seem to remember it was a pity to lose the graffiti activities but it was great to get rid of the time limits and the visual improvements were cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

tempted right now to do another run on Shenmue 2 just to get around to doing the duck race.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

tempted right now to do another run on Shenmue 2 just to get around to doing the duck race.

Meesa Sorry...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVnEFLJuRvA-83Xh05BUpCymDrANquRUmhlpGAxYvkXcXDfUg1

But what is this "Duck Race" you speak of?

Could it be this?
    Howard2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

G darius on taito collection part 2. Class game made better by my namco stick!

5AD6CB22-AFF0-4AF7-9EFC-32AFDEE5B667-597-00000054DA5DAAFE.jpg

DFC62A5D-4E3D-4765-8D77-354CA5D1720E-597-00000053D506E1FB.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

So I hear these CRTs are full of internets? They are a series of tubes after all.

Ahhh hah... hahhhh...

I'll see myself out...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wanted to give Air Zonk on the PC Engine a go, unfortunately thought it won't work with my flash cart for some reason :(

So anyway, I trawled through the other games to see if anything popped out. Saw one which I just had to give a go - 'Toilet Kids' (seriously? Someone released a game called Toilet Kids?)

The game starts with a sleepy kid in his PJs going into a jacks, pulling down his cacks (Japanese people really don't have the same reaction to full frontal pixel nudity that we have) sitting on a toilet and then getting sucked in.

Queue a shmup something like Xevious, but you collect steaming golden turds, things fire crap at you..it's just screams 'this game is made for a Japanese audience only!!'

http://famicomblog.blogspot.ie/2012/03/toilet-kids-for-pc-engine-greatest.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

o1s1n wrote: »
    Wanted to give Air Zonk on the PC Engine a go, unfortunately thought it won't work with my flash cart for some reason :(

So anyway, I trawled through the other games to see if anything popped out. Saw one which I just had to give a go - 'Toilet Kids' (seriously? Someone released a game called Toilet Kids?)

The game starts with a sleepy kid in his PJs going into a jacks, pulling down his cacks (Japanese people really don't have the same reaction to full frontal pixel nudity that we have) sitting on a toilet and then getting sucked in.

Queue a shmup something like Xevious, but you collect steaming golden turds, things fire crap at you..it's just screams 'this game is made for a Japanese audience only!!' Y

http://famicomblog.blogspot.ie/2012/03/toilet-kids-for-pc-engine-greatest.html

Yeah played that at Ciderman's beers back last sept. I was crap at it though but I did learn valuable life lessons about toilets and human waste disposal, after all everything I know in life I learned from video games.

Must get me a of engine! Stupid stuff always sidetracking me.

Master of the Universe

You really should, great little console. Never ceases to amaze me.

Really worth getting a Turbo Everdrive too. As much as it is nice owning games, it can be an expensive console to collect for.

Gave Mad Dog McCree a go on the Mega CD today. Christ, was an exercise in frustration. I've never seen such pixelated video footage in my life. Some of the enemies amount to three brown pixels on the horizon. Absolutely impossible game to play!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    You really should, great little console. Never ceases to amaze me.

Really worth getting a Turbo Everdrive too. As much as it is nice owning games, it can be an expensive console to collect for.

Gave Mad Dog McCree a go on the Mega CD today. Christ, was an exercise in frustration. I've never seen such pixelated video footage in my life. Some of the enemies amount to three brown pixels on the horizon. Absolutely impossible game to play!

The CDi version is even better. It's so buggy that there's about 2 seconds lag to shoot meaning it's literally impossible to beat the game.

Master of the Universe

You really have to shoot at just the right moment in this or else you will be shot. Which means it's not so much a shooting game but a memory one. It's like any other FMV game in that way where if you don't trigger the 'shot' video at the right time you missed it and die.

The hilarious thing about it is the bullet marks still come up on the screen when you dont shoot in time. So there's nobody there, the game freezes (can hear the disc loading) someone jumps out and if you don't get it at just the right moment, the video is play of them shooting you while you are still filling the screen full of lead.

Makes it feel like the game is completely broken.

Couple that with enemies in some cases being only a few giant pixels (which are the same colour as the background) makes it extremely annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I bought homefront for a fiver on the PS3. Hard to believe I paid 45 quid for it on launch day, its ****e.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I bought homefront for a fiver on the PS3. Hard to believe I paid 45 quid for it on launch day, its ****e.

Fool me once,
    shame on you.
    Fool me twice,
    shame on me!

cloud493 wrote: »

Great Zombie Jebus!
    If you had wanted a bluray box containing a ball of sh1te we could have found it for less than a fiver!
    And that's coming from a fan of all things fps and naff!

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

I started streets of rage the other day, still class. The fan remake breathes a new lease of life into it too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't know how I missed it, it was only 2 years

Frame rate is atrocious, drops even in non firefight situations
    The characters are really irritating, Connor is some eejit.
    I can't stand the whole 'we're the resistance so we don't have much ammo' line when none of your allies ever run of ammo.
    Endlessly spawning enemies with crazy accuracy.

**** dis, I'm gonna finally play deus HR (also a fiver)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Not quite retro but am approaching the end of Shantae Risky's Revenge on DSi on the 3DS (if you know what I mean). Lots fun and very pretty, gameplay is good with plenty of exploration and additional mechanics. Save clock is at 5.5 hours but the system clock is about 7.5 (Ive died and got lost a bit). Reckon there is another hour or so to be had in it so for €12 its not bad a bad deal, at a tenner it would have been great value.

Looking forward to the 3DS sequel now.

The gameboy colour game is getting a eshop release as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The gameboy colour game is getting a eshop release as well.

I heard that alright, I've played an emu version of it and have to say didn't find it all that enjoyable.

I heard that alright, I've played an emu version of it and have to say didn't find it all that enjoyable.

It starts a bit dull but gets a lot better further in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Not retro by any means but I got my hands on red dead redemption.
    Bloody great game...rockstar gold.
    Just thinking though.. In 10 years will retro gaming encompass Xbox 360 et all or will it always mean real retro 8 bit/16 bit/arcade hardware and software.
    Actually scratch that.. Ps1 is years old and I still don't class it retro...mmm but the Saturn I do
    Don't mind me...had a a few Sunday sups :)

Just thinking though.. In 10 years will retro gaming encompass Xbox 360 et all or will it always mean real retro 8 bit/16 bit/arcade hardware and software.
    Actually scratch that.. Ps1 is years old and I still don't class it retro...mmm but the Saturn I do

Red Dead Redemption is a transcendent piece of gaming alright and a game I probably enjoyed the most of the current gen and, if a sequel popped up on it, would render the next gen host console an insta-buy!

Don't worry about posting after a few drinks, you're a long way off Atavans standard of incoherent, alcohol fuelled rants.

See I look at it, as the Saturn is counted cause you can't really play the Saturn on anything else but the Saturn, while ps1 you have the ps2 and ps3. Plus there were a few ps1 games to come out In 2004, plus Saturn was more retro in its games perhaps aswell.

Anyway been playing streets of Rage II, man skate is just the best character in the game, so many useful moves though on real life he would get his ass handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Red Dead Redemption is a transcendent piece of gaming alright and a game I probably enjoyed the most of the current gen and, if a sequel popped up on it, would render the next gen host console an insta-buy!

Don't worry about posting after a few , you're a long way off Atavans standard of incoherent, alcohol fuelled rants.

Great word to sum it up...and yes its one of those games that is a gem amongst the thousands of medicore sh1yte on current gen platforms.Retores my faith when i come across games like it.

Retropolis wrote: »
    See I look at it, as the Saturn is counted cause you can't really play the Saturn on anything else but the Saturn, while ps1 you have the ps2 and ps3. Plus there were a few ps1 games to come out In 2004, plus Saturn was more retro in its games perhaps aswell.

Anyway been playing streets of Rage II, man skate is just the best character in the game, so many useful moves though on real life he would get his ass handed to him.

True...The Saturn and Dreamcast just had a unique games library that really made them stand out.big up streets of rage 2...always hated skate...max is the man.

• Advertisement

Great word to sum it up...and yes its one of those games that is a gem amongst the thousands of medicore sh1yte on current gen platforms.Retores my faith when i come across games like it.

True...The Saturn and Dreamcast just had a unique games library that really made them stand out.big up streets of rage 2...always hated skate...max is the man.

No, skate is what makes the game so good! Backward kicks running the lot!.

Advertisement