Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I played the DS version. After the shockingly poor FF conversions on PS1 and GBA by Tose I was surprised to see them mentioned in the credits of the DS port of Chrono Trigger because it's brilliant. They even managed to get the sound right.

The extra dungeons are purely optional and a total pain. My advice is not to even bother with them and just do the normal end game side quests for each character.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

streets of rage 3 music track gave me the flu!

It is truly awful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

o1s1n wrote: »
    I still think it's the best Snes game ever made. Earthbound and Super Metroid come very very close, but there's something about Chrono that puts it ahead for me.

Possibly Frog.

True. If you listen closely, you can hear mountains being split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm shocked you haven't played it yet. Go buy a snes copy asap! ;)

I too have yet to experience Chronogoodness

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EnterNow wrote: »
    I too have yet to experience Chronogoodness

Sweet jesus, there's people that haven't played it? :eek:

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Sweet jesus, there's people that haven't played it? :eek:

Yep, despite having a fully CIB copy of it sitting on a shelf here...I've yet to sit & actually play it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I hereby revoke all of your A&R membership cards until the situation is resolved :pac:

On a similar subject, here's a technical question for anyone who knows - I usually change (or have Enternow change! :D) snes battery backups before playing an RPG or something time consuming in case they vanish.

In the case of Earthbound though, I left the original battery and it did me fine. Looking at this game, it would appear nobody really played through it. (or else they kept it in mint condition).

Does anyone know at what point the battery backup starts being used on a cart? If no save was ever entered, would the battery remain unused? Likewise, if a save was deleted, does it stop being used?

Or would it be used from the moment it was attached to the cart?

Or would it be used from the moment it was attached to the cart?

I'd imagine it begins draining from when its installed, no real idea though. I'm not sure if having no saves files means your battery isn't being used...batteries drain, albeit slowly, even if they're doing nothing & still in their packaging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,719 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

It would cost money to add logic to enable the battery just when a save is first taken so I'd guess its in use as soon as its added.

These long term RPG's are best everdriven for that added backup security :)

Master of the Universe

I'd imagine it begins draining from when its installed, no real idea though. I'm not sure if having no saves files means your battery isn't being used...batteries drain, albeit slowly, even if they're doing nothing & still in their packaging

Actually that's a good point. Those Nomad battery packs are a good example, always come DOA, even if they have never been opened.

I guess some CR2032s are just freaks of nature.

• Advertisement

These long term RPG's are best everdriven

Speaking of leaving A&R memberships at the door :D

Seems to depend on how well made the carts are. I have a Legend of Zelda that has saves on it from when it was first played. Nintendo games seem to hold their charge for years.

I have a Philips CDi with a battery as dead as Princess Diana. Quality means a lot :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I have a Philips CDi with a battery as dead as Princess Diana. Quality means a lot :P

And its not like you can easily change the buggers... Total car crash of a console.

And its not like you can easily change the buggers... Total car crash of a console.

With the internal battery being the least of its troubles :pac:

:'(

Yep, despite having a fully CIB copy of it sitting on a shelf here...I've yet to sit & actually play it :o

Me too, but I have the excuse of not having anywhere to play it at the moment. I could to the whole emulator thing but Id rather wait and play it on my snes later. Only played one hour of Earthbound too and I still haven't got to play full speed fzero.
    You have no excuse enternow and its shameful, utterly appalling.

Master of the Universe

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Me too, but I have the excuse of not having anywhere to play it at the moment. I could to the whole emulator thing but Id rather wait and play it on my snes later. Only played one hour of Earthbound too and I still haven't got to play full speed fzero.

You still haven't played that original copy of Earthbound that you picked up????

People in glass houses....:pac:

I really don't have an excuse in fairness. Dedicated games room, crt tv, Snes & copy of the game...yet I still don't 'feel' like its time to play it. I'll get to it at some stage :o

You still haven't played that original copy of Earthbound that you picked up????

People in glass houses....:pac:

I did but literally after ejecting it all hell broke loose and I moved 4 times since and currently live in a small room with about 10 boxes of games wnd no way to play them.
    Pity me!:(

I did but literally after ejecting it all hell broke loose and I moved 4 times since and currently live in a small room with about 10 boxes of games wnd no way to play them.
    Pity me!:(

Your more than welcome to 'leave' them in my place man

• Advertisement

Your more than welcome to 'leave' them in my place man

And how much would I have to pay for this excellent service? Im also not sure what I have as I dont have an inventory, I trust that this wont be problem?

Master of the Universe

I really don't have an excuse in fairness. Dedicated games room, crt tv, Snes & copy of the game...yet I still don't 'feel' like its time to play it. I'll get to it at some stage :o

I did that with a lot of games over the years. The end result was me never playing through RPGs :D

Have made a real conscious effort with them over the last two years. Started with Panzer Dragoon Saga on lend from Retr0 and have gone through loads of them. Don't put them down now until they're finished :)

And how much would I have to pay for this excellent service?

Bout tree fiddy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Back in the 90's Chronotrigger was the game I tested Snes emulators with, the ticking pendulum at the titles showing tearing and other issues.
    But I never played past the first time travel scene.
    I will pick the Snes edition up, might see if I can pick up the Ds copy somewhere as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,558 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Having a look about, Chronotrigger on the Ds seems quite reasonable, the Snes cart is coming in around the 80 euro mark, cart only while the Ds is more like 25 posted.
    Unsure though that the visuals won't take a beating on the smaller screen.
    So, what to do?

Save and get it on snes. I paid 110 for mine complete and mint.

Master of the Universe

Original, CIB. Only way to be sure.

Could always get this. Just make sure to throw the VGA box away.

working link!

Save and get it on snes. I paid 110 for mine complete and mint.

Meh, just ordered a boxed copy for €23 :)

Original, CIB. Only way to be sure.

Could always get this. Just make sure to throw the VGA box away.

working link!

Bloody hell, who would be mad enough to buy such a thing!
    Wait, we have a few proto fans around here, don't we?

• Advertisement

Meh, just ordered a boxed copy for €23 :)

Where the FAP did you get that?
    Can't be the Snes game, must be the DS one!

Advertisement