Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, what you playing at the mo? Retro Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/04/27/legend-of-dragoon-playstation-classics-corner/

psls gave lod a 8/10 surely retr0 is wrong about this game :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2013/04/27/legend-of-dragoon-playstation-classics-corner/

psls gave lod a 8/10 surely retr0 is wrong about this game :P

As expected from a hive of Sony fanboyism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

684_467.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In terms of recent games, I've been solely on my 3DS since I finished bioshock infinite, pokemon obviously, fire emblem awakening and luigis mansion 2.

In terms of retro stuff, the original metroid, and mario world. And more pokemon :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Decided to have a quick go of Megaman 3 on the Gameboy. Ended up playing it until I beat it. Loved it as a kid and it's still brilliant if a bit tough! Reminds me of when Capcom used to make good games :'(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I had a lash at the Doom 3 BFG edition last night, and enjoyed it.
    At least I could jump straight into the mission packs I hadn't played before, skipping the main campaign of Doom 3 itself.
    Runs smoothly, 60 fps I'd say, and while it does show its age, it still plays well, proper fun FPS, just tell me where the door is I need to, point me at the key I need to open it and let me slaughter the legions of hell standing in my way.
    The torch is a help, mounted on your person, fun times when the charge runs out and you're all on your lonesome, in the dark, but don't worry there'll a demon along in a mo' to brighten the place up!
    Doom and Doom 2 play well too, controller does an ok job of replacing the standard mouse, although I did most of my Doom playing on the PS version, so the 360 controller is a hell of an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I had a lash at the Doom 3 BFG edition last night, and enjoyed it.
    At least I could jump straight into the mission packs I hadn't played before, skipping the main campaign of Doom 3 itself.
    Runs smoothly, 60 fps I'd say, and while it does show its age, it still plays well, proper fun FPS, just tell me where the door is I need to, point me at the key I need to open it and let me slaughter the legions of hell standing in my way.
    The torch is a help, mounted on your person, fun times when the charge runs out and you're all on your lonesome, in the dark, but don't worry there'll a demon along in a mo' to brighten the place up!
    Doom and Doom 2 play well too, controller does an ok job of replacing the standard mouse, although I did most of my Doom playing on the PS version, so the 360 controller is a hell of an improvement.

I'm currently putting together a list of must play games for the 360 as I most likely wont be buyin into the new generation playstation/xbox for quite some time if ever to be honest.

Doom BFG is one I've been lookin at in the last couple of days. Looks great I think.

Last night I was lookin through demos on the 360 and came across Apache Assault which was a pretty interesting game I thought.

After playing that I had to put on Nuclear Strike on the PS1. I like that game a lot I have to say. Goin to put a few hours in on it this week if I get a chance. Only really got the feel for it last night. Maybe its just me but I dont think its that easy to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

I've been playing a lot of Sonic 1 & 2 on the mastersystem at the shop, and oh my they are some of the best games I've ever played I would even go to say they may even past the megadrive versions, though one thing the end boss on sonic 1 makes Loki from ghouls n ghost's seem mild in comparison

Retropolis wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Sonic 1 & 2 on the mastersystem at the shop, and oh my they are some of the best games I've ever played I would even go to say they may even past the megadrive versions,

Ok, just leave via the back door there, and please don't make a scene.
    Your coat and belongings will be forwarded to the nearest skip!

Master System Sonic and Sonic 2 better than Megadrive Sonic and Sonic 2!!!
    You Craaaazzzziieeee!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,534 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Streets of rage on mastersystem is class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The Mastersystem Sonic 1 & 2 are pretty damn good games...they don't beat their 16bit counterparts though

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Retropolis

EnterNow wrote: »
    The Mastersystem Sonic 1 & 2 are pretty damn good games...they don't beat their 16bit counterparts though

Another really good master system game is ghouls n ghosts, though graphically not as good adds a lot more gameplay especially since you have a shop to buy upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Retropolis wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of Sonic 1 & 2 on the mastersystem at the shop, and oh my they are some of the best games I've ever played I would even go to say they may even past the megadrive versions, though one thing the end boss on sonic 1 makes Loki from ghouls n ghost's seem mild in comparison

Yeah man in all fairness I don't care how much of a deal you made with me on Saturday for Shenmue I... you need to get the feck out right now, don't let that door smack your arse on the way out! :D

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Streets of rage on mastersystem is class.

GET OUT!!!!!

Road rash on 3do is brilliant. Can I stay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I restarted pokemon colloseum on gamecube today for like the 20th time, haven't played it for ages. Its kinda hard really.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

I still play thru dragon crystal on the master system and game gear at least once or twice a year. Great game. Plus Slider on the gg is great. And all the mickey mouse platformers, etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 34,467 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    GET OUT!!!!!

Cat mod to aisle 5! we have a brain spillage!

Theme Hospital. Thank you GoG, also, fugg you GoG...its completely addictive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Hitman 2 on the PS2. Cool game, but I'm playing it on the easy setting I think I am mowing through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,467 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

EnterNow wrote: »
    Theme Hospital. Thank you GoG, also, fugg you GoG...its completely addictive

Now there's a game I haven't played in years! I do miss those classic 'theme' sim games...the sims really ruined that genre :(
    Augmerson wrote: »
    Hitman 2 on the PS2. Cool game, but I'm playing it on the easy setting I think I am mowing through it.

Now there's a game I played until the disc broke. The replay value on each level was through the roof. I don't know how many times I played through levels over and over. Used to live killing the guy taking a piss :D

o1s1n wrote: »
    Now there's a game I haven't played in years! I do miss those classic 'theme' sim games...the sims really ruined that genre :(

Just started Prison Architect there earlier, very reminiscent of the classic era management games...worth a look. Bit steep at €25 though, & its still in Alpha stages I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Playing a bit of Metal Slug 4 on MVS at the moment, enjoyable if overly familiar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

God of War HD , just finished Thomas was Alone, nice platform/puzzler !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Playing through silent hill 3 for the ps2 since i have giving up on ratchet and clank.

compared to silent hill 2 sh3 does not hold a candle up to that master peace, but as a direct sequel to silent hill 1 its awesome never the less :D

I'm back in 60hz bliss having fired the auld US SNES earlier tonight. Finally have a new place and my tv and stuff set up, it's been a barren few months of gaming.
    Banged in Earthbound into the machine and started playing it, around an hour and I'm beginning to get into it now. Always takes me a while to get a rhythm going with rpgs.
    After that I decided to play a bit of Bomberman 2 but rage quit when I died from my own stupidity on the second round!
    Then was very tempted to crack open my sealed Fzero, think I'll just but a loose cart there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'm playing some F-Zero mesmelf; Maximum Velocity on the GBA. T'is my first F-Zero and I think I've nearly finished it, save for a couple vehicles still left to unlock. Bloody fantastic in how it can be so gratingly difficult, so amazingly fast and have so little room for error, yet even through gritted teeth I'm finding it hard to stay away from.

It's a bit of nasty bastard in how it demands you clock the first three tournaments on expert difficulty before it allows access to the final tracks, but it sticks life in an otherwise short experience, and has that twang so that re-doing the same tracks on higher settings ain't a chore.

I'm off to snoop for a copy of GP Legend (there's one for £3.50 on Amazon), and hopefully find a copy of Climax that isn't going to nuke my wallet.

Jet Set Radio (PSN version) is also on the playlist. Another one I missed during its heyday. It's fun enough, once the cutscenes are skipped, and that you luck-out finishing those tedious chase-missions quickly.

So, there's a question,
    Which is the better game?
    Jet Set Radio
    Or
    Jet Set Radio Future?

Those who say Jet Grind Radio can get out!

I have the one they made for the GBA as well, a valiant attempt but the little system just ain't got the horses to pull it off.

Speaking of FZero, loved FzeroX on the N64 but FZero GX is just an amazing game, needs a HD update, no need for any other changes, just amazing that game.

Pity the soundtracks for them couldn't keep up with the Snes standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Oh those Jet Set games are horrible... I'd rather play Madden and I hate sports games....

Advertisement