Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arthurs day... guinness celebration gigs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Hootanany wrote: »
    Block Party are playing Hanlons

Bloc Party!? No way...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Razorlight are in cafe en seine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Hootanany wrote: »
    Block Party are playing Hanlons

lies, surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Tusky wrote: »
    lies, surely ?

I ment there is a blocked Toilet in Hanlons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭bobbyjoe

I like surprises as much as the next person but wouldn't a list of venues and bands be a good idea?
    Is there one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Not that I endorse going to see them but for anyone who's interested Razorlight are on stage at Vicar Street at 9.45. That time is 100% accurate.

But they're sh*te so don't bother. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Mr Marenghi

Anybody know where Noah and the Whale are playing ?

Anybody know where Noah and the Whale are playing ?

Looks like they're playing Whelan's. God damn it. Didn't know about that until now.

I really should pay attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭MikeyCdublin

Was working in vicar street earlier ronnie wood popped in not to sure if he going to do anything as he was brought straight into the v.i.p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

well im back from the baggott inn and very dissapointed! only got let in at 5:30 after 45mins wait! then kings of leon were played every second song for 3 hrs with about ten minute interlued by two bands they didnt even annouce. the toast was ****! half hearted "to arthurs" adn i dont even know who the surprise band were. free finger food nearly worth half the ticket price:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Great night in Tripod. Calvin Harris and Republic of Loose were class and well the surprise act of Kelly Rowland was deadly, surprisely a great live act and really got the crowd going.

Ended up down on South William St then with a few mates for what was an unplanned big street-party type thing, supposely a few hundred people there before I got there at 11 but still a hundred or so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

organisation in Spy was ****ing useless.

security are retards.

"live" music was only playing in one tiny sweat box of a room rest of the rooms had ****e blaring out.

Two screens in the other rooms and all you could see was a drummers elbow. They had signs up saying "you may not be able to get into the room where the music is " but that there were screens so you could "see and hear" the bands

Staff were ****ing *****.
    apparently we were "privileged" to pay 9 quid to visit their club & they Ran out of Guinness in the bars upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

was in the Odeon last night... Dirty Epics were scheduled to play but im not even sure if they did:confused: .. Two bands played with no introduction and nobody... even staff... seemed to know who they were?!..

Suprise guest was Estelle (no introduction either).. she was pretty great with a live band, didnt expect her to be so good but she really made the night.

Athmosphere in general in the place was no different than any other night in a pub.. major let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

The Market Bar was pretty lame as well (although Mick Flannery was quite good - not the right venue for him though). No proper toast and €4.60 a pint. The bar staff there are very bad - soooo slow.

We left at 7 - there was more atmosphere out on the street than there was in the Market Bar. Not going there again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Not that I endorse going to see them but for anyone who's interested Razorlight are on stage at Vicar Street at 9.45. That time is 100% accurate.

But they're sh*te so don't bother. :)
    They were actually very good, but the bastids told us it was a technical fault as we waited from 9:10 to 9:55 for Razorlight to appear.
    TBH the organisation was a little lacking, Michelle Doherty was a plank, there was more craic with the mic guy.
    Ronnie Wood came on for one song with the Black Swan effect, he looked very old and a bit frail.
    Twas a good night, no surprise guests as such, Dizzee Rascal replaced Sugababes but that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Bart Roberts

Great night in Bruxelles, Imelda May played for about 45 minutes and was class. McDaids across the road was wedged so a street party thing was going on.
    €4.90 a pint though which is scandalous but big Quinny was there.

To Niall!

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

adamski8 wrote: »
    well im back from the baggott inn and very dissapointed! only got let in at 5:30 after 45mins wait! then kings of leon were played every second song for 3 hrs with about ten minute interlued by two bands they didnt even annouce. the toast was ****! half hearted "to arthurs" adn i dont even know who the surprise band were. free finger food nearly worth half the ticket price:mad:

The surprise act was the two guys from Supergrass playing different cover verions. They played first. Most people didn't stop talking or painting faces to actually notice who were playing.

I left the Baggot Inn straight after Supergrass. The manager was inept. It was c*ck. Moved to Bruxelles which was worse. Ended just going home. 4,90 a pint:mad:...Cheers Arthur!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

mattfender wrote: »
    WHATS THE STORY WITH DORANS...ANYONE KNOW PLEASE?:pac:
    who ended up playing in Dorans?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,421 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm not in Dublin so I was only watching it on tv, but I thought it was one of the best nights of entertainment that I ever watched. Congrats to all who made it possible. Definatley a big success.

• Advertisement

Ginny wrote: »
    They were actually very good, but the bastids told us it was a technical fault as we waited from 9:10 to 9:55 for Razorlight to appear.
    TBH the organisation was a little lacking, Michelle Doherty was a plank, there was more craic with the mic guy.
    Ronnie Wood came on for one song with the Black Swan effect, he looked very old and a bit frail.
    Twas a good night, no surprise guests as such, Dizzee Rascal replaced Sugababes but that was it.

Hah! Technical fault my ass! Their tour manager texted me their stage time hours before and it was definitely 9.45.

Didn't go in myself, had too much on in town. Dizzee Rascal would have been good to see though - did Ronnie Wood not play with him? That's the way they were selling it on the radio this morning.

I was outside Grogan's last night and the place was absolutely jammed. Brilliant marketing by Guinness really - it was like St. Patrick's Day around town so it was.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Nah Ronnie Wood came on with his sons band for a song, Dizzee was great(although we were hoping Calvin would make an appearance with him), but ending the gig with Reverend and the Makers was a big mistake, a lot of people left after Razorlight as they knew it would be 20-25 mins before Reverend came on so the crowd was a bit sparse.
    I'm assuming it was being filmed for a commemorative DVD? Are any stations showing it all again?

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Ginny wrote: »
    Nah Ronnie Wood came on with his sons band for a song, Dizzee was great(although we were hoping Calvin would make an appearance with him), but ending the gig with Reverend and the Makers was a big mistake, a lot of people left after Razorlight as they knew it would be 20-25 mins before Reverend came on so the crowd was a bit sparse.
    I'm assuming it was being filmed for a commemorative DVD? Are any stations showing it all again?

Yep, the place was more than half empty after Razorlight. Great night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeal

lala stone wrote: »
    who ended up playing in Dorans?!?

The Enemy were the big name in Doran's - by the time they came on, no one seemed all that bothered. Noise Control were on earlier and were very good.

Toast was nothing in Doran's either. People standing around expectantly checking their watches till people just gave in and cheered. Followed 2 minutes later by a lacklustre toast by a staff member with a mic!

Not hugely impressed all round - just like a normal pub night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

I attended the Arthur's Celebrations last night at Vicar St.

I have to say it was a very very poorly executed event which was dogged with endless technical problems with stage equipment resulting in shortened sets from the bands and extremely long waits between their performances. This was coupled with poor overall show production with the video link-up to some of the other events barely used, and even when it was it was barely audible. Most of the evening the screens showed earlier video footage from the Vicar street show itself with no audio, what was that all about??

The hostess for the evening seemed a bit clueless also, asking ridiculous questions of the bands, getting no real rapport going in the interviews and at one point introducingRazorlight at least 15 minutes before they actually came on stage. She was assisted by a stage manager who spent most of the evening taunting and being taunted by the audience due to the ineptness of his stage crew. Which was a bit of fun I suppose ...

The venue itself was way overcharging for exceptionally poor quality Guinness at Eur €5 per pint ... when across the city other bars were getting into the spirit of the evening with €2.50 pints.

I was also disappointed that there was no surprises at all in the evening (at least no pleasant ones!).

Finally there was no real brand presence by Guinness at the event. It could have been any other evening at the venue. This is probably just a well as it really was amateur night. I'd imagine Arthur would be spinning in his grave if he saw the travesty that was Vicar Street yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We were in Dakota, seemed quite well organised but the TVs flickered a bit. Two bands were on - can't remember their names, but they were pretty good. Kelly Rowland was the surprise act - REALLY got the crowd hopping, didn't even realise that was her song (The love takes over one). Great night! It would be cool if they did it every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bobbygirl

Great night in the Academy apart from the unbelievable heat and Guinness costing 5 euros!!

Surprise guests were Natalie Imbruglia, Fionn Regan and Sharon Shannon who ended the night brilliantly.
    Paulo Nutini was excellent did a Christy Moore cover and all and Imelda May also great. Was a bit too noisy for Richard Hawley unfortunately though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

2.50 a pint in Killians Irish Bar in Munich. Free finger food too. No big names just surprisingly good Guinness and cracking tunes. Oktoberfest next!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I attended the Arthur's Celebrations last night at Vicar St.

The venue itself was way overcharging for exceptionally poor quality Guinness at Eur €5 per pint ... when across the city other bars were getting into the spirit of the evening with €2.50 pints.

Never ever drink Guinness in Vicar Street or a big venue like that. Absolute muck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

Jakeal wrote: »
    The Enemy were the big name in Doran's - by the time they came on, no one seemed all that bothered. Noise Control were on earlier and were very good.

Toast was nothing in Doran's either. People standing around expectantly checking their watches till people just gave in and cheered. Followed 2 minutes later by a lacklustre toast by a staff member with a mic!

Not hugely impressed all round - just like a normal pub night :(
    Thks!

+1 ya defo bit of a let down in Dorans.. just ended up leaving, it was waaay too packed..shame

Advertisement