Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arthurs day... guinness celebration gigs

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I had a excellent night at Tripod, read the details here ! Cheers Arfur ! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I went out in Limerick having made no plans for Arthurs day like all my Dublin friends. Got to see Jape for free and tried my first Guinness. Only made my way through 3/4 of it. Not for me as I always knew. Heard rumours of pints being 2.50 but they were €4.90. Couldn't believe there was no promotions going round given the day it was. Guinness will have made a mint.

Jape was great though, played through all the lively tunes and didn't throw in any slower tracks like at EP. I missed the last few songs since the schedule listed him as finishing at 12:45 but he finished about 20 mins before that.

It sounds like overall the celebrations in Dublin were a bit of a let down, especially after all that hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Was in the Village - the Coronas were very good and Natalie Imbruglia was our surprise guest, played about 6 songs, very enjoyable! She's not bad looking either! :)

My mate was in the Brazen Head and Tom Jones was the surprise guest - epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭happyfriday74

Great night, cheers Arthur

But d@am it, 11 am and had to massive black gargantuan 5hites and I think there more coming....make it stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Skipper12

Had a good night in Vicar Street even with the technical difficulties and the strange running order of the bands. Agree with previous posters as to the lack of a "Guinnnes Theme" to the night. The organisation in Vicar street seemed pretty haphazard and €5 a pint of plain!!!!! On Arthurs day in one of the main venues seemed pretty steep especially considering that there were Guinness promos on all around the city and the bar next door was selling them for €2.90. And then not even a free pint or any promotions, even my local GAA club gave out free pints for the toast (that I am sure Guinness provided free kegs for).

Bands were really good when they got to perform. (MC and presenter were terrible but booing them were good fun :D)

Great idea overall though and could turn into an annual event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

was in storehouse, saw kasabian and dizee rascal (he is beyond rubbish). Free booze between gigs and plenty of staff, good atmosphere but at Kasabian it was very very suity. The boys looked a bit bemused by it all to be honest. Finished up around 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MDub

Saw the Kooks in Foggy Dew, very impressed, Mick Flynn and I think it was the Chapters in Stags Head, also very good. Also caught the start of Paolo Nuitini in Stags Head, great spot to see him but had to dash of to see Kasabian live in the Church, not a fan of that place generally but boy what a venue to see them. For me the gig of the night, they were unbelieveably brillant live. Great sound as well. It seems that the smaller pubs were the places to catch these bands live. Great night had by all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I heard something about Pygmalion not having a valid fire certificate and people had to be relocated? Anyone hear about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭squidgey

I was in the Foggy Dew. Bit of a mess of a night. I couldn't tell you who any of the acts were - the crowd barely acknowledged their existence. They needed an MC to be running the night - and introducing the acts. It was just a shambles - they spent more time setting up instruments and speakers then people spent on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Bit of footage of the night, Bono manages to get his ugly mug in at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNHg_L-w5c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Scien wrote: »
    Tripod must have been pretty sweet.
    I managed to blag my way into Diceys with a bit of Wristband shenanigans. :)

Yup it was, speaking of wristband shenangians I managed to get a free wristband without a ticket at Tripod, had to go in to collect my tickets and they weren't suppose to give wristbands to them people but she did.:D
    I was outside Grogan's last night and the place was absolutely jammed. Brilliant marketing by Guinness really - it was like St. Patrick's Day around town so it was.

Ended up outside there myself with a few mates atabout 11 after I got down from Tripod, the toast every 10 mins was gas stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Was at Dorans, what the hell happened to the place???

Left before the Enemy, really think noise control are gonna get somewhere, great band

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭HerbSimpson

Was in Diceys garden, The Chakras were first, they didnt seem to get the speakers set up properly so nobody could hear them, felt a bit sorry for them as the little I could hear sounded ok.

Then it was Soul 2 Soul, put on a very good show even though its not my type of music.

Then the Blizzards, they were good but the reaction from the girls made it feel like Westlife were playing..

Then the dirty epics, not too good in my opinion but they gave it their best.

Also Diceys put the price of guinness from 4.75 up to 5.50 after 8 o clock. A LOT of people were complaining about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

dylbert wrote: »
    Bit of footage of the night, Bono manages to get his ugly mug in at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNHg_L-w5c

I don't know who half those people are. I must be getting old. I did spot my ex-girlfriend in it though. She wasn't lying about being on the red carpet evidently.

Ended up outside there myself with a few mates atabout 11 after I got down from Tripod, the toast every 10 mins was gas stuff.

Yeah, it was funny alright. Did you see the bush of cans towards the end of the evening? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Noise Control in Dorans were great (as always)and then caught The undertones in Grogans! Epic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

catch--22 wrote: »
    Noise Control in Dorans were great (as always)and then caught The undertones in Grogans! Epic!

Didn't think anyone was on in Grogan's. Do you mean Brogan's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

went to dorans,was the biggest let down ever,WAY too packed,if you went upstairs for any reason you couldnt go back downstars as it was so packed,and worst of all the suprise act where the enemy,when i heard they were the act i just upped and left:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeal

went to dorans,was the biggest let down ever,WAY too packed,if you went upstairs for any reason you couldnt go back downstars as it was so packed,and worst of all the suprise act where the enemy,when i heard they were the act i just upped and left:(
    Yup, Doran's was definitely a let down.

Agree wholeheartedly that a bit of MCing between acts (and for the toast for that matter) would've made the world of difference. An auld free pint or batch or keyring or something wouldn't have gone amiss either!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭,mnb

Rumour has it that after Lisa Hannigan finished in Whelans circa 1030 there was another gig upstairs at circa 1130 for the VIPers. Anyone get in and know who was playing that.
    Also where did David Gray play after he finished in Whelans.

Jakeal wrote: »
    Yup, Doran's was definitely a let down.

Agree wholeheartedly that a bit of MCing between acts (and for the toast for that matter) would've made the world of difference. An auld free pint or batch or keyring or something wouldn't have gone amiss either!

it was very badly organised,so much so that we managed to blag a friend a free wrist band to get in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭GSpoon

it was very badly organised,so much so that we managed to blag a friend a free wrist band to get in

Are you complaining because you managed to get your firend in without a ticket?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

GSpoon wrote: »
    Are you complaining because you managed to get your firend in without a ticket?:rolleyes:

Maybe he hates his friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Can't believe pubs jacked up the price, dirty *****!

My local was doing Guinness for €1 for the entire night. Glad I didn't head into town now!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Maybe he hates his friend.

im a girl,and i wasnt complaining they got in free,more the fact that the place was way way over capacity,but they still had bags of wrist bands to let people in for free

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Can't believe pubs jacked up the price, dirty *****!

My local was doing Guinness for €1 for the entire night. Glad I didn't head into town now!

Where the hell were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

No free pints, ragin :mad:

I was at the Odeon. A load of bollicks in my opinion. Estelle? General Fiasco? I should have stayed in Limerick. Free in to see Jape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

,mnb wrote: »
    Rumour has it that after Lisa Hannigan finished in Whelans circa 1030 there was another gig upstairs at circa 1130 for the VIPers. Anyone get in and know who was playing that.
    Also where did David Gray play after he finished in Whelans.

You kinda answered your own question - David Grey played Whelans after he played Whelans, he played a full set afterwards upstairs.

The pricks in Whelans kicked everyone out, then made you pay in again (10er) for that. I didnt bother just went around to the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Russell123

I went to the Tripod and Doheny and Nesbitts. Tripod was very empty early on and I was surprised that poor quality
    Guinnness in a plastic 'glass' was fiver a pint. I did expect it would be cheaper or even free (maybe just a pint) but it was not to be. It was clear when we went into Tripod we were just extras in the television production with the director getting us to shout and toast Arthur to get the shots in the can early! From what I saw of the tv production later, it was a bit of a mess. We saw a so-called live feed from the Tripod at least 40 minutes after it happened. This meant the need for long delays between acts was even more baffling. Why not build atmosphere and run the gigs without gaps in each venue - all I can think is they only had one place where they recorded the shows with one director so they couldn't record multiple shows. It would have to be a great act to get me to go back to the Tripod again after one of their security men barked in my ear incredibly loudly not to take any photos.. He said I should have been told about this at the door but I wasn't.

Jamie Callum was okay but the sound was poor. I kept thinking how much they must have been paid to do this gig! Soul II Soul were fantastic - I wished they could stay on all night. Mongrel were not my cup of tea but once again the sound was dreadful.

After that we moved to Doheny and Nesbitt where the back room was packed and the atmosphere was a million times better than the Tripod. The bar staff here were fantastic - everyone I saw was working in very packed conditions with great humour! The music was better here too - especially Eoghan Colgan. I never heard of him before but he was great and really worked the crowd well in incredibly tight cirumstances! Overall, I think Guinness could have done more for the people at the events. Not just cheap drink but maybe a MC to hold it together, give away a few freebies. The best thing for me was seeing two girls in the Tripod give a ticket free of charge to a German tourist and the great attitude of the people in the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hobnob101

I was in the storehouse. Won tickets. It was fantastic. 8 hours of free Guinness and food. Dizzee Rascal was brilliant. Tom Jones dressed like a pint of Guinness and I don't get the point with Kasabian. I thought they were like oasis wannabe's... but 18 years too late. I hear that they sound totally different on their album though... so maybe they have a good producer.

Fantastic night. Suffered a bit today though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,446 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Can anyone tell me who played in The Temple Bar last night?

Advertisement