Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

arthurs day... guinness celebration gigs

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Solesurvivor

I was in the deicies garden aswell the place was abit of a shambles couldnt really hear the bands not that they were much good but terrible set up pints of guinness in plastic glasses unless you asked for a real glass very expensive you would of thought some promotion would have gone on odd tee-shirt maybe the doorman sold a friend of mine a ticket for 20euro to get another friend in disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I agree with previous posters, Guinness should have done something in the way of some promo stuff, how much would a keyring/lanyard/pin badge have been? I noticed most of the doormen and supervisor staff had commemorative badges.

Seeing as it was a pretty big landmark date you would have thought they could have done something special. Also where were the big name Irish bands like Saw Doctors, The Pogues, Mundy, Samantha Mumba, Damien Rice, Bell X1, Divine Comedy, Saw Doctors, Snow Patrol, or The Script ?

Well I wont be around for Athur's 300th but hope it's better organised !

To Arfur!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Yeah, it was funny alright. Did you see the bush of cans towards the end of the evening? :)

We headed down towards Georges St about 11.30 so can't say I seen a bush of cans!:D
    Russell123 wrote: »
    I went to the Tripod and Doheny and Nesbitts. Tripod was very empty early on and I was surprised that poor quality
    Guinnness in a plastic 'glass' was fiver a pint.

Guinness was the only drink that was given out in actual glasses in Tripod, surprised you got a plastic one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Russell123

It might have looked like a glass but it was plastic. Saw people pick up their drink and act surprised that the pint felt so light. The Guinness was so much better in Doheny's that it was like a different product!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

It was def a plastic glass I dropped an empty one & it bounced !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

While it seemed that overall arthurs day went well, i had one of the worst experiences ive ever had as a paying customer. we queued to enter oliver st johns, and were ushered upstairs on entry. the coronas were the first band to play, but doormen told us that we needed gold tickets to see them, so even tho we had paid our 9euro we couldnt see the bands, bar staff told us that they would screen it on tv, but that never happened. no announcement was made about what was happening, lots of people left, but we asked to speak to a manager. MR EAMON HYLAND came to the door to speak to myself and my friend, and i have never been spoken to so badly by anyone. he shouted at us, told me that if i wanted to complain i should TAKE OUT MY LITTLE TYPEWRITER and send a letter cos he didnt care, we asked if we were guaranteed to see any bands with out tickets and he told us that 'IF WE COULDNT GET INTO OUR HEADS WHAT HE WAS SAYING WE MUST BE THICK' this man is the manager of oliver st john gogartys, he has no right to speak to paying customers who have been badly treated in the manner in which he did. Does anyone have any advice on how we should take our complaint further? i'd imagine writing a letter to the pub is a waste of time if this man is the manager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 mike golf

I booked 14 tickets for Pygmalion in Dublin for this event - it was changed last minute to The Button Factory. On arrival there - doors were still closed and remained so until 1740. Extremely rude staff were in no way helpful or considerate to our enquiries. When we did enter the venue and paid our 5euro for our Guinness in a plastic cup - we presumed there might be some fanfare and tv coverage of the toast at 1759 - this was not the case, no music, no TV coverage and no music until nearly 8 o clock that evening -

I went for a pint Saturday in my local and ordered a pint of Smithwicks - I know it looks like dirty water but to be honest Thursday night turned me off Guinness - me thinks everyone got a little greedy - especially the pub/clubs

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

starfish12 wrote: »
    While it seemed that overall arthurs day went well, i had one of the worst experiences ive ever had as a paying customer. we queued to enter oliver st johns, and were ushered upstairs on entry. the coronas were the first band to play, but doormen told us that we needed gold tickets to see them, so even tho we had paid our 9euro we couldnt see the bands, bar staff told us that they would screen it on tv, but that never happened. no announcement was made about what was happening, lots of people left, but we asked to speak to a manager. MR EAMON HYLAND came to the door to speak to myself and my friend, and i have never been spoken to so badly by anyone. he shouted at us, told me that if i wanted to complain i should TAKE OUT MY LITTLE TYPEWRITER and send a letter cos he didnt care, we asked if we were guaranteed to see any bands with out tickets and he told us that 'IF WE COULDNT GET INTO OUR HEADS WHAT HE WAS SAYING WE MUST BE THICK' this man is the manager of oliver st john gogartys, he has no right to speak to paying customers who have been badly treated in the manner in which he did. Does anyone have any advice on how we should take our complaint further? i'd imagine writing a letter to the pub is a waste of time if this man is the manager!

If you don't write a letter to the times then you are a fool. Do it today so pricks like this don't get away with it, name him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭leinsterman

Does anyone have any advice on how we should take our complaint further? i'd imagine writing a letter to the pub is a waste of time if this man is the manager!

Well I had a not quite so bad experience at Vicar St (see earlier in the thread for me comments) about which I wrote to Diageo and they have responded also ... to be fair the venue is not their problem ... but I wanted the issues raised to their marketing people.

In your case I'd certainly write a letter to the newspapers ... I am just wondering if there is an ombudsman covering this area? ... Or maybe find out who are the owners of the pub and write to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

WTF???? maybe contact Ticketmaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭starfish12

the thing is, we originally wanted to complain about not being allowed to see the bands even tho we had tickets, but after having being treated that way by the manager, he's what I want to complain about!!! it really is disgraceful in this day and age - they must be too used to the tourist trade, and have no concern for repeat business or word of mouth

lala stone wrote: »
    WTF???? maybe contact Ticketmaster

The Irish Times is most effective and respected. YOur name and address will be with the editor and they can contact you back (the pub, or Diageo). At least this guy will be named and shamed for what he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The Irish Times is most effective and respected. YOur name and address will be with the editor and they can contact you back (the pub, or Diageo). At least this guy will be named and shamed for what he is.

They also won't publish it. It's of no interest to anyone except the person complaining. Have you ever seen a letter in the Irish Times complaining about something like this?

Liveline is your best bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 front9

just my two-penny worth, i was at vicar street and felt it was a joke, all the tech problems, bad attidute etc, my mates were in a few pubs accross town and they said it was hit and miss in terms of an experience, i have complained and have been told that pretty much the entire gigs were run by MCD and Diageo, not the individual pubs / clubs , security, sound etc were all brought in from the outside on the night hence the p**S poor organisation, so it might be worth going down that route as well, just my contribution

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    They also won't publish it. It's of no interest to anyone except the person complaining. Have you ever seen a letter in the Irish Times complaining about something like this?

Liveline is your best bet.

depends how its written, a whinge about how the joyous occasion of arthurs day ruined for an irish person in the bosom of dublin tourism, i.e temple bar. if he treated me this bad, how would visitors be treated? Its value for money related too so i think it might. Indo would be a decent option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

can ya just pay at the door for any of the smaller gigs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

can ya just pay at the door for any of the smaller gigs?

Not likely, since it was 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

haha crap...right well...obviously I meant this years one...do you know by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

To Arthur!! (few minutes late though :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

To Marketing

• Advertisement
Advertisement