Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Two points I would make BB- first is that you stop hoping this is a "quickie". It may well be, but frankly you're better off treating it with kid gloves. You've had a long season, no specific targets right now, so hold off feeling you have to get better quick. Worst thing is to come back too soon off a calf injury and exacerbate it, there's plenty of runners who have done that.

Second point, the biking will be a great way to keep up your fitness, while remaining impact-free on those lower leg muscles and heel area. I've been biking for a while now (nearly 12 weeks into a calf injury), and its a great way to keep up the fitness, stop from going mad, and also stretch your calf at the same time. I've gone for a few 8 mile runs, and I feel I could run at a slow and steady pace all day, but every time I give it wellie, or run uphill/downhill, I'm limping the next day. This is where the bike comes in great, as a long ride (I went over parts of the WW the other day, so lots of climbs) does wonders all round. Hope it does the same for you, but easy! does! it! on the running.

Thanks for that, I'll follow the guidance and treat this sensibly. Will take the easy does it route, stopped tonight and walked back up the hill to my house as I knew that might put too much pressure on.

30mins pain free running on grass this morning, will play it cautious and continue every other day until the mileage builds up.

18 laps of the local football pitches :eek:, about 8k, no reaction from the calf. Feel confident to hit the road tomorrow.

First post injury run where I've moved away from the reliance of laps. Nice 10k run from Whitegates along the Morrough to Killoughter, calf feels fine but will rest tomorrow and try 3 days back to back mid week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    18 laps of the local football pitches :eek:, about 8k, no reaction from the calf. Feel confident to hit the road tomorrow.

Nothing like 18 laps of footie pitches to stimulate recovery, good to hear things are progressing well.

• Advertisement

Out for a nice gentle 10k on the road tonight with my new toy, on a steep learning curve after about 6 or so years as a Timex S&D user. Nice to head out without the separate GPS unit.

Tried a new dark evening route, able to get changed in Charlesland and run the on cycle paths for a 5.5mile loop, cheeky little 215ft climb on the 3rd mile, finished with 2 laps of the track striding the straights to bring me over the 6, splits are ks, but I think I've figured that out.

Slow run tonight, couldn't get going. 6.32 miles in 52:45 (8:20 pace). Think I'll have a day off tomorrow.

Sat Nov 14th

First longish run in 4 weeks, between races and injury, hoped to be further down the road at this stage, but hopefully this is a nice base to move forward from.
    11.96 miles in 1:32:49 (7:45 pace)

Sun Nov 15th

Out for a little explore on Carrick Mountain to run off last night's vino (I was good really had a glass of water for each glass of wine - let's say I was well hydrated ;)), found a nice loop which is about 50:50 trail and road.

7.44 miles in 58:54 (7:55 pace) and 1,572ft of elevation gain.

38.1 miles for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What's the story with the Charlesland track, BeepBeep? Is it open for public access? Is there a time-table? I have to do 400 intervals once a week for the next month, and I'll probably end up doing it in the dark, unless I can find somewhere suitable. Any nights when the track would be quiet enough?

38 mpw is great running during off-season. You're really putting me to shame.

Charlesland track is generally free of bodies this time of the year (think Greystones are there 7 - 8 on Tues), the changing rooms are open until about 9 - 10pm, there's just enough light from lights up at car park that once your eyes adjust it's fine. If you have planned to do a session there and one of the clubs have it booked just jog back down the road (turn right) where you ran today and it's 400mts between the 2nd and 3rd roundabouts or for a nice hill session turn left and use the hill up to the Kilcoole road.
    You know there's a cinder track in Cabinteely also, behind the Esso garage, not sure what the condition is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I've used Charlesland track a few tmes in recent months and its been a great variation for training. Free! Just sign the register at the reception desk.

Where exactly is that cinder track in Cabinteely BB?:confused:

Where exactly is that cinder track in Cabinteely BB?:confused:
    +1. Where?! Is it in Kilbogget park?
    Oh, think I found it, here on google maps
    Definitely worth a look, but I reckon it would be quite dark at night.

Thanks. KC - you have me worried. You must work for the NSA or CIA or something, you located that with your own personal satellite so quickly.

LOL. I've run every mile in a 20 mile radius around Shankill (but still never spotted the track), despite having run through that park around 100-200 times and run within 20 feet of the track. Must post somewhere (outside of beepbeep's training log!) to see if anyone wants to hook up for some 400s.

Mon Nov 16th

Caught the end of the light for a gentle recovery run around Shanganagh.
    4.33miles @ 8:11 pace.

Tue Nov 17th

Handy run around Charlesland and surrounding areas with a cheeky sub 6min mile thrown in between 4 and 5 (5:57 :D).

6.25 miles in 48:13

Day off yesterday, sticking to the post injury recovery plan.
    Tonight joined the club for a bit of a hill session, updated the firmware on my 405 yesterday and for some reason the GPS was set to off and couldn't figure it out quick enough as we were heading out the door.
    So a total of about 7miles with 12 x hills down in Raheen off the Newcourt Road. Thinking of entering the Aware 10k, will decide next week.

Fri Nov 20th

Bit of a loop the loop route around Wicklow to squeeze in 6M - 1 x 7:11 mile and 1 x 8:30 at the end which had a bit of a climb, need to find a house on the flat :P.

6miles in 46:35

• Advertisement

Sat Nov 21st

After having guests for dinner last night, drinking too much alcohol and consuming nice rich food and getting to bed at 2am, this morning with the wind and the rain was a real motivation tester - nonetheless managed to trot around Wicklow Town for 5.5miles in 46mins - glad it's done!

Good man. Nice to see you've your life/training balance sorted :). Overnighted it in Wexford. Had alarm set for early to run, but rain is blowing horizontal. No point trying to run in that. So its either rest or see what pans out later.

Sun Nov 22nd

Great run this morning for 2 reasons:
    1. Longest I have run in about 13 years.
    2. Starting to mix it up on my longer runs now to address my speed endurance.
    So 14 miles in total, 1 small Ashford/Killoughter lap and 1 long one.
    First 10miles @ 7:53 pace and the last 4 @ 6:59 pace, which I was pretty happy with considering the majority was against a head wind - so overall 1:46:38 (7:36 pace) and feeling pretty comfortable, hoping to get up to 15 and 16 over the next 2 weeks and that'll be the max for me.

WTD - 43
    MTD - 99.1
    YTD - 1872

Great running. Just when most of us are settling in to run shorter distances for the Winter you go against convention and show us up :)

It's about time I moved away from my comfort zone, you never know after all of this I might be tempted to race a 10M or a HM, on second thoughts maybe not :rolleyes:!

Mon Nov 23rd

5 mile recovery run @ 8:04 pace at lunch time along the Morrough, quiet slippy and wet in patches.

Wed Nov 25th

Obviously looks lie lots of heavy Winter training taking by the rest of the Boardsies, I take a planned day off and find myself on page 3.
    Anyway feel like I'm getting a bit of a chesty cough so took it handy tonight: 7.06miles @ 8:12 pace.

Thurs Nov 26th

Same as yesterday with the addition of 6 x 40sec hill strides.
    8.11 miles.

Fri Nov 27th

Easy recovery run, must say found running slow really hard and tiring!

4.34 miles in 36mins.

• Advertisement

Sat Nov 28th

Starting to like these longer runs, today was 16.1miles (my longest run EVER) in 1:57:40 (7:19pace) with the last 5k in just over 21.
    Garmin upload is acting up, missing one full mile in the summary and splits, although it's there on the player and missing from the watch data, though I did run 3 laps of a 5.37mile loop, the first data transfer failed so I'm not sure if that caused something - very disappointed as it was one of my best training runs :(.

Advertisement