Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Slower than that tomorrow will suit me just fine. Ran myself ragged this evening instread :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Weds Aug 19th

Met Slogger an 'easy' run around Carrick Mountain, bit longer than I had planned at nearly 14k, but good fun and lots muck and I think we climbed solidly for the fist 6k. Had to stop at one stage for an outdoor 'Woddle' :D. Will definitley be back up there for more.

WTD - 20.4
    MTD - 105.9
    YTD - 1192.0

Thurs Aug 20th

Met with the club in Shanganagh as they were doing a HM paced session, so the coach said I should do the session but a little quicker.
    So warm up:
    3k 12:07
    2 min recovery
    2k 8:02
    90 sec recovery
    1k 3:53
    45 sec recovery
    1k in 3:42
    Warm down.

WTD - 27.5
    MTD - 113.0
    YTD - 1199.1

Fri Aug 21st

Nice steady run from the house on road or least it was after the downpour that hit me after about 1 min, which meant after 2k I was probably 2k heavierthan when I left the house :(, but it cleared up quickly into a nice sunny run from there. 10 miles in 1:16:47 (7:41 pace)

WTD - 37.5
    MTD - 123.0
    YTD - 1209.1

Sat Aug 22nd

Easy recovery run on grass after 3 good days, 3 miles in 24:16 (8:05).
    Heading down the coast now for 4 days - looking forward to 3 easy days in a new location before the 2 mile race on Weds.

WTD - 40.5
    MTD - 126.0
    YTD - 1212.1

• Advertisement

Well back from a few days in Passage East, managed to keep the streak going, but nothing too hectic; a hilly 9.2k run, an easy 4M run with some strides and an easy 2.5M run.
    The 2M tonight should be interesting on a diet consisting of Guinness, Frys, Chips and Thai food :p.

MTD - 138.2
    YTD - 1224.3
    3858799192_29984d028c.jpg

Wasn't really sure how this one would go after an unusual week diet wise, late nights and too much alcohol, but brought the OH and kids with me as I'm on holidays this week, they were a bit of a distraction which had it's pro and cons.
    After my normal pre race routine, this was another handicap affair and I started in a group of 6 (category 10) 32 secs behind the lead group and 16 behind the next group. 2 of my group got away quickly so I let them go and just concentrated on the times, was hoping for between 11:20 and 11:30, so had planned to get through the 1st 418mts in 85 and run as many 85's as I could after that, which would be 11:20. So I went through the laps in 84, 85, 86, 86 (1M - 5:41), 87, 87, 86, 83 (1M - 5:43) - 11:24.
    From memory I was only passed twice, but got those 2 places back and picked off quite a few to finish in 8th overall, so happy with that, 1M race next week (target 5:20) and then say goodbye to the track until Spring.

WTD - 11.5
    MTD - 143.2
    YTD - 1229.3

Great time, excellent splits. Rest and that diet must suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

well done sounds like you ran another good race.

Thurs Aug 27th
    This run was a little unplanned today, we were in Greystones looking after a herd of nephews and nieces, so I seen that as an opportunity to get my run out of the way.
    Headed out the door @ Crispins and after 1k was on the Cliff Walk, so headed towards Bray, got to the entrance of Bray Head @ 5.4k and headed straight up the front, I could run up this as a 16yr, but today a combination of steepness and overgrown thorn bushes led to some walking.
    Up over the top @ 7k and out the back towards Greystones on a track that from memory was originally constructed for a British Monach, just Googled it but could not find it. Some stunning views back towards Greystones from here. As you come down this track you are looking directly at the path you need to climb on Little Sugarloaf, which gets bigger as you descend.
    So out onto the old Greystones road and up to Windgates and across the back road to Glen of the Downs, after about 1k on road there is access to Kilruddery which gains you access to the Little Sugarloaf, so through Belmont Woods and some gentle climbling before hitting the main fire track, I decided to run towards Bray and start climbling from the other end.
    Hit the peak @ 14.6k and was feeling a little ragged as I did not bring water or gels, but Mother Nature chipped in with a well timed BlackBerry bush, so a dozen or so of these little guys were consumed and finally downhill all the way and some fantastic views of the new Marina in Greystones, Kindlestown Wood and Glen of the Downs.
    Back out of Kilruddery, worked out just shy of a 6k loop and onto Crispin's for 18.5k in 1:40 (slow enough, but I lost quiet a bit of time on Bray Head), with 445mts of ascent (felt like more tbh).

Used to run variations of this route as a Juv living in Bray and used to feel much easier, so this level sets my current fitness.

WTD - 23.0
    MTD - 154.7
    YTD - 1240.8

• Advertisement

Nice running, nice route. Sometimes the runs that you make up as you go along end up being surprisingly good.

Fri Aug 28th
    Nothing much to report, 12k recovery run on grass @ Greystones Rugby Club @ 5min per k pace, track session in the morning waiting on the instructions for that one, either 1M specific or 10k.

WTD - 30.4
    MTD - 162.1
    YTD - 1248.2

Sat Aug 29th

Just a keep the body ticking over session this morning.
    Warm Up & Stretching / 6 x 400mt cruise intervals (ave 1:25) / Warm Down.

WTD - 35.4
    MTD - 167.1
    YTD - 1253.2

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running (racing) BeepBeep. What are you going to do now that the track season is coming to and end? Have you a different target in mind?

Thanks KC - no real race targets for the remainder of this year, I'll make it to the Pearl iZUMi 10k on basically the same schedule with the easy runs made a bit longer, then easy week, hard week, easy week (the easy ones are due to work travel) - that will get me to the Wicklow Novice and Intermediate (1st 2 weeks of Oct).
    From then the plan will be to build a good endurance base in blocks of 4 weeks (3 weeks increase, week 4 step back), probably getting to 50 - 55 miles and a long run of 15-16 with a splattering of XC races.
    Block 1 Mileage only
    Block 2 + 1 hill session
    Block 3 + 1 tempo session.
    That will get me to the end of the year, then it's 4 weeks to Raheny and then the Wicklow Road Race Champs in Feb.

Sun Aug 30th

Just an easy run on the road - 2 laps of the Ashford - Hunters - Rathnew triangle from the Ashford house carpark; 11.6k in 55:44 (4:48 per k pace).
    Good weeks training I'd have to say, 1 x race, 1 x session, 1 x 11.5M run and > 40miles for the week.

WTD - 42.6
    MTD - 174.3
    YTD - 1260.4

Consecutive Days - 86

Mon Aug 31st

Easy 6k recovery run on road.
    :D Highest monthly mileage since I returned to running.

MTD - 178.1
    YTD - 1264.2

Tues Sept 1st

Easy 4k jog on grass in advance of the 1M race tomorrow evening.

Not great weather for this one, hope it improves before the XC season :p.

Usual warm up for the track with stretching and strides, while I watched Gerard65 battle it out for close finish in 2nd place - well done.

Was hoping to hit 5:20 beforehand with consistent 80's, wasn't sure if that would be on the cards with the wind and rain, but lined up in the 1st of 2 sub 6min miles. Race kicked off and after the normal first 200mts of jostling for places and running a little too quick I settled into 4th and went through the 1st lap in 79, one guy had pulled ahead and then there were 2 running together, but I was on the same pace as them but about 5mts off, hit half way in 2:40 spot on pace.
    Made a push to get on the back of 2nd and 3rd which I did, but then felt the pace dropped, so a little rush of blood to the head and had a bit of a battle for 3rd place down the back straight as the 2nd placed guy pulled away a little, so I hit the bell in 3rd.
    On the back straight the guy I had passed took me again, but I just kept battling looking for the last bend, he was too strong for me though, but I had the long term leader in my sights and when I hit the home straight I put everything into it and took him with about 10 to for 3rd:D.
    Splits 79 - 81 - 82 - 77:D for 5:19.
    Felt for the 1st time in years that I was in a real race tonight and really enjoyed the experience, so that's so long to the track for this year and roll on next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What a great swan-song for the season, 3rd place and a great time too. Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You looked very strong over the last 30mtrs. Well done, good race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

great running yourself BB67, nice mile time!:D

Thurs Sept 3rd

Good session with the club in Shanganagh, biggest turn out of the Summer with about 20 or so, 11k in total.

Interval|Recovery|Pace|Distance
    5mins|2mins|Tempo|1209
    4mins|2mins|Tempo|1001
    4mins|2mins|Tempo|1009
    3mins|2mins|5k|840
    3mins|2mins|5k|830
    2mins|1min|3k|584
    2mins|1min|3k|570
    1min|1min|1.5k|296
    1min|1min|1.5k|317

WTD - 17.1
    MTD - 13.3
    YTD - 1277.5

Fri Sept 4th

Easy run from Whitegates, across the Leitrim River and out to Kiloughter, stopped for some stretching and came back. 6.4 in 50ish.

WTD - 23.5
    MTD - 19.7
    YTD - 1283.9

Just topped last year's mileage with 16 week's to go :D

Sat Sept 5th

Went to Irish Fit in DL this morning and had a bit of explaining to do to the OH when spending €60 on GU Gels, further explaining had to be done when I tried to explain to I had no intentions of 'bonking' over the Winter ;).

So headed out for about 20k from the house to the old Cullenmore hotel, some of my routes have been curtailed with upgrading of the N11 to Motorway status. Had quite a sharp pain in my right heel for about 6k today which never really went away :mad:, heading now for Ibuprofane and an ice pack. Anyway managed to get around in 1:39 for 19:66k with my water belt and a Blueberry GU (very nice).
    Will try to dig out my Sorbothane heel pads and run on grass up to the 10k.

WTD - 35.7
    MTD - 31.9
    YTD - 1296.1

Sun Sept 6th

Heel felt a bit better this morning after giving it some lovin' yesterday evening (Ibu, Ice and Reflexology - thanks to Mrs BeepBeep), stuck to the plan to run on grass and stuck in my Sorbothane heels.
    So ran 12k in just over the hour, heel was tender in the beginning, but nothing as bad as yesterday, eased up in the middle section and began to throb towards the end and after I stopped, so I'll stick to the same treatment routine and surface for the week.

WTD - 43.1
    MTD - 39.4
    YTD - 1303.6

Mon Sept 7th

Done a bit of DIY on the kid's trampoline so it's now 2ft off the ground - done a 10min bounding session at lunch time - think I've found an interesting cross / core training session for the Winter.

4 miles easy along the Morrough - heel is still throbbing a bit, getting better I think, medium paced interval session tomorrow will tell me more.

MTD - 43.4
    YTD - 1307.6

Weds Sept 8th

Well the final visit to track for this year seen me heading for 6 x 600m @ 3k pace with 90secs recovery, just to keep me ticking over in advance of Saturday.
    Felt fine doing these with an average of 2:04, could have pushed harder.

WTD - 9.7
    MTD - 49.1
    YTD - 1313.2

Wed Sept 9th

Easy 5.25M run in Shanganagh @ 8:20 pace, lovely evening for a run.
    Hung around and helped out at the Fit4Life race, uploading some pix now.

WTD - 14.9
    MTD - 54.3
    YTD - 1318.5

• Advertisement

Thu Sept 10th

What a lovely country this is with a bit of sunshine.
    4k easy at lunch time with 4 x 100m strides thrown in with Saturday in mind.

WTD - 17.4
    MTD - 56.8
    YTD - 1321.0

Advertisement