Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Tues Oct 6th

Nice controlled run in Shanganagh after work - 12.9k @ 4:54 pace.

WTD - 14.6
    MTD - 27.5
    YTD - 1456.0

Tues Oct 7th

Stopped off in Shanganagh for an interval session with one of the club guys, nothing too hectic, 6 x 800m average 2:57. Total 12.14k in 1hr.

WTD - 22.2
    MTD - 35.1
    YTD - 1463.6

Thurs Oct 8th

Relaxing recovery run from Whitegates to Killoughter along the Morrough.
    11.6k in 58:16.

WTD - 29.4
    MTD - 42.3
    YTD - 1470.8

Fri Oct 9th

Looking at the weather forecast last night I decided to get up early for my planned 4 mile easy run (trying a different pre race strategy this week, based on an old training diary I found from '96 - 4 miles easy today and complete rest day tomorrow). Took the first mile to get going, but there is about a 3 min hill after 1k, after that it was nice to be out and about before the hustle and bustle. 4 miles in 33mins.

WTD - 33.4
    MTD - 46.3
    YTD - 1474.8

Sun Oct 11th

Another glorious day for an XC race, I'm sure there are more hard core days around the corner. So the venue was in Roundwood and was the usual 2k lap of ups and downs, sideways running, sharp turns and small hurdles.
    Felt stronger in this race in comparison to last week and managed to stay with the group that dropped me at 2k last week for just over 5k. They didn't really speed up at that stage I just ran out of puff a little, I always had them in my sight, and this compounds the fact that I need to focus on stamina and speed endurance over the Winter. The end of the race petered out for me on the last lap as I had passed a few while trying to tag onto the faster group but then found myself about 20mts behind and never really closed - so ended up in no man's land for 2k.
    Not sure of the finishing place, maybe 15th or 16th, which would be better than 20th last year and 49secs faster than the same course last year.
    8k in 30:50, plus another 3miles between WU & WD.

WTD - 41.4
    MTD - 54.3
    YTD 1482.8

Next up a 2 mile Fit4Life on Wednesday on the road near Charlesland in Greystones and I'll run the Leinster Master's XC in Adamstown on the 25th.

• Advertisement

Mon Oct 12th

Nice recovery run in Shanganagh on another beautiful Autumn evening, pity the nights are closing in, no reaction from yesterday's race.
    11.54k in 58mins.
    Heard I was 12th yesterday, there were a few guests ahead of me.

MTD - 61.5
    YTD - 1490.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running yesterday and today... 12k the day after a race. Iron man!

Tue Oct 13th

Slow run in Greystones RC in advance of the 2M race tomorrow nite, 6k in 31mins. Homemade burger,baked potato, salad and apple pie and custard afterwards - interesting slant on a pre race meal :P.

WTD - 10.9
    MTD - 65.2
    YTD - 1493.7

Race Report - Fit4Life Round 10 2M Road Race

Wed Oct 14th

This was one of those nights when it all clicks in to place.
    2M road race in Greystones, starting at the entrance to Jackie Skelly's down to the Shoreline Complex and back up, about 80 - 90 taking part.
    Got a good start and was conservative as the 1st mile was downhill, but stuck in behind Gerry Kinsella and Colin Daly, they got away from me after about a k, but I kept plugging away, hit the turn in 5:32. Went looking for an extra gear and there it was,focussed on Gerry and caught him with about 600 to go and he came with me, but I dropped him after about 100, next up Billy Porter :eek: about 20mts ahead, reeled him in no time and kept accerating to the line, actually finished 5 secs ahead of Billy and 10 ahead of Gerry and clocked 11:15.

M40 PB by 6 secs - 11:15
    1st O/40
    8th overall
    3 scalps (Billy, Gerry & Ben Mooney)

Wow. What a run. Wheres the youtube link when you need it :D

• Advertisement

Thu Oct 15th

Easy recovery run from the house, apart from the hills, 10k in 51mins.

WTD - 22.1
    MTD - 76.4
    YTD - 1504.9

Fri Oct 16th

Another fantabalous evening for running, after finishing up work bang on time, it was park the car at Whitegates and head out to Kiloughter.
    This was 7.2 miles which included a negative split 5miles steady, 18:44 (7:30 pace) out and 17:02 (6:49 pace) back.

WTD - 29.3
    MTD - 83.6
    YTD - 1512.1

Sat Oct 17th

Out nice and early due to family commitments and another fantastic morning, 18k at a comfortable pace with 3 x 4:30 ks from 15 to 17, total time 1:27:54 (4:53 per k pace). I'm lovin' the Blueberry GU's.

WTD - 40.5
    MTD - 94.8
    YTD - 1523.3

Sun Oct 18th

Joined up with the Wicklow athletes for a fund raiser in Avondale house, headed off about 8:45 with Mick & Terrence Byrne, Deirdre Byrne, Slogger Jogger and few others, ran for 9 miles through the trails in there, nice to get out with a group and have a chat. Followed by breakfast in Avondale house, lovely morning and a great turn out - guessing 60+.

WTD - 49.5
    MTD - 103.8
    YTD - 1532.3

Mon Oct 19th

Gentle recovery jog along the Morrough this evening, though 20+ mins of resitance training on the way back aginst a head wind. 5.2 miles in 44mins.

Tues Oct 20th

Workout up on Carrick Mountain, jogged up the start of my 2.4k lap, after 600mts there is a 1.3k climb so pushed it hard on this climb for 3 laps, taking about 6:30 per climb and 11:30 per lap. 10.45k.

WTD - 11.7
    MTD - 115.5
    YTD - 1544.0

Wed Oct 21st

10k recovery run half on road have in wet grass, guess the winter is nearly here.

WTD - 17.9
    MTD - 121.7
    YTD - 1550.2

Thurs Oct 22nd

Joined the club where a few of the DCM gang were doing a gentle work out of 4 x 2mins, suited me with the XC on Sunday, 5.5 miles in total.

WTD - 23.4
    MTD - 127.2
    YTD - 1555.7

Flipping my pre race routine around a little, I had a rest day yesterday and ran 3 easy miles in the wind along the Morrough this afternoon.
    Leinster Masters XC tomorrow, I expect it to be a mud bath after this week's rain.

WTD - 26.4
    MTD - 130.2
    YTD - 1558.7

Good luck. Ordinarily I'd call down to support but standing around loads the day before the DCM wouldn't be the best race prep for me.

• Advertisement

Got caught a little in two minds on this re preparation, had Oatabix, Actimel and a slice of Brack about 10am, thinking the race was at 1, in the end it didn't start until 2:45 and I was in that window where I was hungry but too close to the race to eat and the flask of tea and egg sandwiches would not have gone down too well pre race anyway (mental note - bring banana and energy bar for emergencies)
    Anyway lovely day, nice course not too challenging, surprisingly firm but very bumpy, my achillies are giving out a little as I type. 4 laps of a 1500mt lap and I got a reasonable start, if not a little too fast which a paid for a little later on. Went through lap 1 in 5:30 and the rest were 5:54, 6:00 and 5:51, so reckon I should have been a little more conservative on the first one, but that's difficult amongst the elbows and spikes. Finshed mid 40's I think, had a difficult 3rd lap where I lost about 5 places, but claimed back 3 heading onto the last lap, there was probably another 2 for the taking if I had given a little extra in the last 200, but I was in conservation mode at that stage.
    That's 22 races this year and 17 since June, I think my body is telling me to skip the Leinster Intermediate in 2 weeks time, maybe it's time to listen.

Well looks like the pain in my achillies was a little more than temporary, it's actually the junction between the calf and the achillies.
    Went for a run Monday afternoon and made it 200yds from the house, but had to stop and I thought someone had stabbed me in the back of the leg.
    Done the usual, ice, compression, Ibu for the last 3 days and decided to test it tonight, stopped off in Greystones at Charlesland (ran on the track so I could bail out if needed).
    First couple of laps it felt a little tender, but gradually seemed to work out, but bang at 3miles it went again, as bad as Monday, so it was a hobble back to car.
    Hopefully it's not too serious, trying to get a physio appointment for Saturday.

Sorry to hear that Dom. Hope its just a temporary mishap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Well looks like the pain in my achillies was a little more than temporary, it's actually the junction between the calf and the achillies.
    Went for a run Monday afternoon and made it 200yds from the house, but had to stop and I thought someone had stabbed me in the back of the leg.
    Done the usual, ice, compression, Ibu for the last 3 days and decided to test it tonight, stopped off in Greystones at Charlesland (ran on the track so I could bail out if needed).
    First couple of laps it felt a little tender, but gradually seemed to work out, but bang at 3miles it went again, as bad as Monday, so it was a hobble back to car.
    Hopefully it's not too serious, trying to get a physio appointment for Saturday.
    Sorry to hear that, its a nastly little thing to happen, can feel good for a few miles then go again, take your time in getting back if you have no major target soon. Should have done that myself a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Tough break Beepbeep, is it related to the heel problem last month or a something new? Hope it heals quickly and you can get back on track soon.

Thanks folks - went to a new Physio this evening as the club recomended one was not available until next Thurs :eek: - guess pain is recession proof.
    Good news is that it's a contracted muscle and not a tear or something more serious, so the flexibility has been reduced, meaning I'm putting more pressure on it than normal, so it gives out sooner rather than later.
    So I had a massage, pressure point treatment and light therapy, was quite painful at times, but feeling confident now sitting here. So no running this weekend, a bit of stretching and back for another session on Monday if needed, if there's no improvement by Monday, there will be some dry needling introduced :eek:, if it's progressing well I could be out for a few miles Tuesday to test the reaction.
    asimonov wrote: »
    is it related to the heel problem last month or a something new?
    This was discussed and he actually brought it up while examining my feet, but dismissed it as not relative to this. Without asking he told me quite acurratley how I strike the ground and that my foot was set up for speed and not necessarily Marathons, I thought this was interesting considering my preferences.
    Fingers, toes and legs crossed, it's a quickie.

Stopped off in Halfords and picked up some lights for my bike, anyone any experience with cycling carrying a calf injury, going to research tonight as I can't imagine not doing anything over the weekend, but the OH is looking forward to it.

Met with my coach this afternoon to go over my training up to the Streets of Wicklow 5k as a build up to Raheny, just a pity I can't do anything about it for the moment (going stir crazy), but chomping at the bit. Basically 4 weeks base (including 1 LT session alternating between 2 x 4k and 4 x 2k) and a couple of hilly runs, then add another LT session and reevaluate after the 5k.

Another physio session tonight can feel the improvement, finished off with dry needling, not bad while it's happening, but feels like someone kicked me in calf now. Have a green light to run for 20mins tomorrow - yipee :D

Ok, easy run tonight about 5k, still alot of tightness but no real pain, stopped twice to stretch. Will skip tomorrow and try it again on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Fingers, toes and legs crossed, it's a quickie.

Stopped off in Halfords and picked up some lights for my bike, anyone any experience with cycling carrying a calf injury, going to research tonight as I can't imagine not doing anything over the weekend, but the OH is looking forward to it.

Two points I would make BB- first is that you stop hoping this is a "quickie". It may well be, but frankly you're better off treating it with kid gloves. You've had a long season, no specific targets right now, so hold off feeling you have to get better quick. Worst thing is to come back too soon off a calf injury and exacerbate it, there's plenty of runners who have done that.

Second point, the biking will be a great way to keep up your fitness, while remaining impact-free on those lower leg muscles and heel area. I've been biking for a while now (nearly 12 weeks into a calf injury), and its a great way to keep up the fitness, stop from going mad, and also stretch your calf at the same time. I've gone for a few 8 mile runs, and I feel I could run at a slow and steady pace all day, but every time I give it wellie, or run uphill/downhill, I'm limping the next day. This is where the bike comes in great, as a long ride (I went over parts of the WW the other day, so lots of climbs) does wonders all round. Hope it does the same for you, but easy! does! it! on the running.

Advertisement