Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Mon Jan 4th

AM: 5 mile recovery run in 39:53
    PM: 6 mile recovery run in 47:41

Total = 11

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great running. I tried to motivate myself out the door this evening for another run, but the body was tired and it was dark and freezing. Cosy fire and nice smells emanating from the kitchen, confirmed my stay-at-homeness!

Cosy fire and nice smells emanating from the kitchen, confirmed my stay-at-homeness!

Lorraine had a nice lamb stew waiting on my return - mighty :P!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Mon Jan 4th

AM: 5 mile recovery run in 39:53
    PM: 6 mile recovery run in 47:41

Total = 11

You're off to a flyer so far in '10. Are you sure there's not a decent marathon in you??!! Tempted even a tiiiiny bit?

christeb wrote: »
    You're off to a flyer so far in '10. Are you sure there's not a decent marathon in you??!! Tempted even a tiiiiny bit?

No marathon this year, but planning a late spring HM - probably the Kildare one! Still allows a couple of months to get some track work done before July.

• Advertisement

Tues Jan 5th

Club session in Charlesland tonight, pulled and checked the temp in the car 0.5 degrees brrrrrrrrrr.
    Nearly snotted myself going down the ramp on black ice and it started snowing as we started to warm up, was worth the trip down to see the snow flurries through the floodlights as 6 lunatics got ready for a session.
    So the plan was 6 x 800m with 200m (90sec) recovery, conditions were difficult enough with snow, wind and the track becoming a little slippy, so it was a case of get on, get them done and get home.
    Averaged 2:58, which included a slow 1st one (3:04) and quick last one (2:49), you could have thrown a knotted hanky over the other 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭traininglog

what is your next race?

what is your next race?

Hopefully Raheny, travelling to India for work next week with little opportunity to squeeze runs in unless its 5am - so will decide after I return.

Weds Jan 6th

AM: 4 mile recovery run in 33:39
    PM: 6 mile recovery run in 47:19

Run this morning took a bit of time to get going, but felt surprisingly fresh this evening.

Thurs Jan 7th

Tempo session on the treadie.
    1M W/U
    2 x 2M @ HM pace (9.3mph/6:27pace) with 0.5M rec
    1M W/D

Total 6.5M in 48:11

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

You're not doing a marathon, so why the big milage and double sessions?:eek:

(I'm betting you're hooked on the 1000 mile challenge;))

You're not doing a marathon, so why the big milage and double sessions?:eek:

(I'm betting you're hooked on the 1000 mile challenge;))

Decided to give the HM a real bash, plus banking a few miles ahead of next week and I'm a bit of 1000 mile challenge junkie :D, but I expect my stay near the summit to be short lived, would be nice to bank the 1k in mid June though.

Well, well, well, what a week, training plan went out the window!
    Where do I start?
    Was flying out from Dublin last Sat morn at 10:10 to Hyderabad (India) via Heathrow for work meetings, looking at the forecast I had a feeling the weather would be a factor, so left early and though I had a result getting bumped up to the 09:00 flight, but alas they decided to shut down Dublin airport with 2 flakes of snow on the runway :( and cancel any flight that had not flown. So it was get ready for the collect your bags and queue for another ticket duathalon, 12:40 I manage to get a ticket for 13:10 to Amsterdam, which then required me to queue with 100's of others to check in, which i did at 13:05 after using my charm to convience the girl at checkout to reopen the flight. So after boarding at 13:45 we got airbourne about 1hr later, so made it to Amsterdam Sat evening, with my bags been sent onto Delhi, as a frequent flyer I had another top, socks and jocks, plus basic toiletries in my hand luggage (always learn from previous experience). So Sun AM I'm back in the airport and boarding a KLM flight the same time I was due to arrive in Hyderabad (btw AMS airport was under snow and the flights after a quick de-icing were hurtling down the runways - Go DAA!).
    So arrive in Delhi 12:30AM local time and check into a hotel for 3hrs15mins and 2hrs sleep so i can catch a 06:10am flight to Hyderabad which gets me to the hotel 48hrs after I left my house on Saturday morning and 90mins before my first meeting.
    So my plan of a couple of 10k treadmill runs in the hotel Sun & Mon did not happen and a sleep pattern of 4 - 6 - 2 I was on planet spaced for a few days in India, was Weds AM before I had the energy to get out around the hotel grounds at 6:30am for 4k, followed by 5k the next morning and 4M treadmill run on Fri, Saturday was all day travelling from 11:30pm (Fri nite) Irish time, until 7:30pm last nite. With late nights and early mornings I'm sure I've missed about 24hrs sleep in the last week.
    Managed to get out for 16.1k this afternoon, body felt surprisingly fresh but the mind wasn't and had to really concentrate.
    Oh well, that's the end of my moaning, I take the positives of an easy running week every now and then does no one any haarm and I did have a few runs at 550mts altitude (http://connect.garmin.com/activity/22525671 - here's the link to one of them if anyone is interested in the location).
    Anyway tomorrow is the start of training for the Kildare half, so hopefully only 16 weeks of training and 800 miles stand between me and a sub 86!

WTD - 19.6
    MTD - 88.6

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Not sure if you stayed at altitude long enough to promote those red blood cells, but getting out and running when you're completely exhausted will definitely stand to you towards the end of a race at some stage!

Mon Jan 18th

Easy 11.7k run @ 5min per k pace, felt a little sluggish.

Tues Jan 19th

Track session in Charlesland tonight.
    6 x 800mts with 200mts (90sec) recovery.
    Slowest 2:59, fastest 2:52, average 2.55.
    There was a stiff breeze on the back straight this evening which added a little spice but felt in control - average HR from 158 to 169.
    Garmin is picking up about 850mts per rep, anyone else experience this?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,511 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you look at the tracklog overlaid on the satellite view of google maps, you can see that GPS watches just aren't great on a tight circular track. It's because the GPS accuracy is typically around 20-30 feet at best, and trackpoints are only recorded every x seconds. Try running in straight lines. :)

Just a 9k recovery run around Greystones, actually found it tough going, will put it down to general tiredness.

Yesterday ran out of time - 6.8k on the treadie with 3.2k @ 15kph, the house was boiling and my fan made no difference.
    Today easy run on treadie - 7.5k ahead of tomorrow's XC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I try to time my treadie runs when the heating is off. When its on I'm doing well to last 8k. Good practice for a warm weather race maybe !!

• Advertisement

Race today went pretty much as planned, which was to use as a fast training run. After a chat with Gerard65 and Robinph went off on my normal pre race routine.
    Race kicked off and I went through the first couple of k's at 3:45 pace before settling into my pre race plan of 4min k's, pushed on a little on the final lap to move from 60th to 55th I think or 5 places anyway and a few scalps that who were constantly ahead of me last year, finshed with a final k of 3:43 and a sprint finish.
    Heard afterwards that the I.T. A team won GradeB and I picked up a 3rd place over 40 - goods days work ;)
    Only worry is a little niggle in my left knee which I've had for a few days, didn't notice in the race, but during the warm up and warm down and is a little tender this evening.
    Strong race by Robin and the other Boardies seemed happy on a nice morning and a nice course.

Summary: 8.17k in 31:28 (3.51kmpace / 6:11mpace)
    Splits: 3:46 / 3:45 / 3:55 / 3:58 / 3:55 / 3:59 / 3:52 / 3:43 / 0:31
    AvHR: 170 - MaxHR: 179

13.2k today over 2 runs - headed out for my LSR this morning and had to head back after a mile, my knee was too sore :(. So it was home for some TLC, NSAID's and RICE.
    Hopped on the treadie for 10k this evening with a knee brace on and managed to run fairly comfortably, think I run on the treadie for the next few days so I can bail if needed, will make a call re the 3k Tues.

WTD: 43.8
    MTD: 132.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    13.2k today over 2 runs - headed out for my LSR this morning and had to head back after a mile, my knee was too sore :(. So it was home for some TLC, NSAID's and RICE.
    Hopped on the treadie for 10k this evening with a knee brace on and managed to run fairly comfortably, think I run on the treadie for the next few days so I can bail if needed, will make a call re the 3k Tues.

WTD: 43.8
    MTD: 132.4

I would advise getting off your feet as threadmill can be just as hard especially on the knee as it is still bearing weight on every stride. If you can get to a gym or pool i recommend a cross trainer or aqua running for a few days will maintain your fitness while the leg heals up. Many injuries can be avoided if proper precautions are taking once niggles appear.Pain is a message to your brain to warn you to stop before severe damage is done Hope it gets better soon

ecoli wrote: »
    I would advise getting off your feet as threadmill can be just as hard especially on the knee as it is still bearing weight on every stride. If you can get to a gym or pool i recommend a cross trainer or aqua running for a few days will maintain your fitness while the leg heals up. Many injuries can be avoided if proper precautions are taking once niggles appear.Pain is a message to your brain to warn you to stop before severe damage is done Hope it gets better soon

You're probably right - I did spend a good few years stopping and starting running at every little twinge after a back problem. This time around I've sworn to keeping going unless life treatening :p. Will give this low mileage for a fews days and extra TLC and make a call then.

Knee a little sore on and off today, found if I keep mobile I'm fine and no issues walking, only if it's been in the same position for a while.
    So hopped on the treadie after work for 6.4k @ 5min per k pace (focussing on form and center of gravity), not too bad, could feel it a little towards the end - but I think the right decision not to go beyond that.

Pushed it a little further on the treadie tonight, knee held up OK, 8k in 39:06, all going well tomorrow I'll run the 3k as a tempo run.

Knee holding up surprisingly well, so made the decision to head down to Rathdrum for this one, popped a couple of Ibu's before leaving the house as a precaution.
    Normal warm up routine and joined by Slogger Jogger for the 2nd warm up lap. The course was a 2 x 1500mt triangle affair, with an uphill and downhill on the 2 long sides and fairly flat across the top, with the start and finish half way up the uphill section.
    Got off to a decent start and clocked the first k in 3:24, the second was tougher and included the full 600mts of the uphill section so this was 3:48, was starting to push on now and was helped by a group of 3 ahead of me and I passed them fairly easily, I'd like to think my last k was 3:10, but the Garmin clocked the distance at 2.94k and a finishing time of 10:23. Extrapolated to 3k that would be 10:36 which would be an M40 PB by 1 sec (so not claiming a sub 10:30 3k just yet) and 16 secs ahead of my early season form last year.
    Gave my new Brooks ST4's (2010) a run out - very pleased with these, hopefully many happy racing miles to be had in the neaar future.
    No reaction from the knee, although it was straight into the knee support after the race.

Summary: 2.94k in 10:23, AvHR 168, MaxHR 178, 2nd over 40 and a yoga mat for my troubles :).

Nothing much to report tonight, joined the club as most who are doing Raheny on Sun were just heading out for a trot around the town.
    6.5miles in 53mins.

Managed to sneak in a Barney Rubble today.
    6AM: 6k in 29:38
    4:30PM: 10k in 48:46
    Felt grand on 2 relaxing runs, need to bank some mileage over the next 4 days ahead of a business trip and the XC next Sunday.

Total for the day: 16k in 1:18:24

• Advertisement

Brrrrrrrrrr bloody freezing this morning, the car said 1.5 degrees and I'm thinking in my clima cool shorts by the time I'm finished I'm going to have an inny instead of an outy.
    Anyway this is going to be a crucial session for me over the next 14 weeks, getting in plenty of controlled miles at PHMP (4:02 per k).
    Nice relaxed warm up of 3.7k followed by some stretching, would have to be careful on some iced over stretches of the road.
    First 3k felt handy and cruised home in 12:01 (AvHR 157), 2 min jog and turned around to repeat the same in the opposite direction, this was tougher slight incline from Ashford to Cullenmore and a little bit of a headwind combined had me working hard - clocked 12:11 with AvHR rising to 167. Jogged back to finish. Proves I have some work to do, but bang on the money for the two combined.

Summary: 14.27k in 1:07:14; AVPace 4:42; AvHR 152

Advertisement