Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever Decreasing Circles:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Fri Sept 11th

Easy 4k run on grass - next stop the 10k.

WTD - 19.9
    MTD - 59.3
    YTD - 1323.4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

best of luck in the 10k...do you've a target time in mind?

McMillian says sub 38:30, based on my 2M time, but I'm short of endurance work, so I'm aiming for sub 39 - 38:49 would be a 2min PB - I'll be a happy camper if I can hit that.

sounds like we'd have the same race target for 10k, mcmillan predicts about 38:30 mark for me as well ;)

the middle part of the 10k will be the tough part, miles 3-4, if your on target for a good time at this stage, just keep thinking positive and you'll push through it, the last couple of miles should take care of themselves, say to yourself "only 12mins" running now and before you know it the 5th mile marker will appear. best of luck again!

Very disappointed, felt great this morning and was great to warm up and meet the other Boardies before the race.
    Race kicked off and I felt in control, had planned to stay with Slogger, but felt he was going a little fast for me, so I eased back a bit (good decision he clocked 37:24 :eek: - well done bud).
    First half of the race was uneventful and I went through 5k in 19:12 bang on my McMillan pace, a little downhill section followed after that so I thought I would stretch out a bit, but quickly realised my right heel which was giving me trouble last week started to get progressively more painful, I eased back a bit and tried focussing on landing on my midfoot, but did not make a difference. Wrestled in my head from 6k to 7k what I would do as even if I finished with 4min k's I would have a 90sec PB and join the sub 40 club, but I think common sense kicked in and I bailed out just after 7k.
    Maybe I shouldn't have run in flats, maybe I should've taken a few days off last week - who knows? I've had a great Summer of running and I'll quickly try and forget this one, have a good Autumn and come back for the XCs and Aware.

Well done to great performances today particularly Slogger and Christeb who annihilated their PB's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

That's too bad BB, must be disappointing all right. You did the right thing by dropping out, as I learned from bitter experience, its better to drop out when something pains you rather than running through the pain.

Plenty of time for more races, rest a while at Ye Olde Cripple Inn, I can vouch for the good company there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Excellent call and impressive display of self control beepbeep. You've loads of running ahead of you over next few months, this one will be quickly forgotten.

sorry to hear about ya not finishing BB, you were flying and bang on target at 5k there.

hope the injury clears up qucikly for ya...great discipline there pulling up like that...if anything it will help ya get back on track quicker and ready for the autumn.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Hard luck BB. Dropping out is always a tough decision to make, and it was probably the correct one.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I gave myself and my heel some TLC last night. Tried a few miles on grass this morning and I don't think it's anything serious, wanted to run to test it even from a mental perspective, plus it brings up 100 Consequtive Days - I'm travelling with work this week so I'm taking some time off.

100 Day Summary:
    554 Miles
    13 Races (10k x 2ish, 6k x 1, 5k x 4, 2M x 3, 3k x 1, 1M x 1, 1500m x 1)
    Race Highlights:
    • 18:22 5k Raheny
    • 11:21 2M Raheny
    • 10:37 3k Irishtown
    • 05:19 1M Irishtown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Nice to meet up with you yesterday. Hope to see you at a few more races in the future.

We'll plot our revenge in the Park during the Aware 10k ;)

Well back from Bratislava, managed to take 2 days complete rest, so not running for 72hrs was strange, but feel the better for it and the heel feels ok, longish run on the road tomorrow will tell for sure.
    Got 2 nice runs in while I was over there, from the hotel over the Danube and along an aquaduct and back via some woods - 8kish.
    The Danube towards Budapest
    3931602491_ceae1092f9_m.jpg
    The Aquaduct
    3932384238_60e4c223fa_m.jpg
    The Danube towards Vienna
    3932384048_26f43ca274_m.jpg
    Hopped off in Greystones Rugby club for 8k on the way home from the airport today.

WTD - 14.8
    MTD - 83.5
    YTD - 1347.7

Was feeling wrecked today, so squeezed in a 5 miler along the Morrough while listening to the 2nd half of Ars V Wig on 5Live, need to get in 10+ tomorrow.

WTD - 19.8
    MTD - 88.5
    YTD - 1352.7

Sun Sept 20th
    Great morning for a run, so I tooled myself up with hat, glasses, 4 bottle water belt, a GU gel and a handful of Tesco midget gems (great value BTW, 37c a pkt and easy to digest while running). Headed out the door, down to the old N11, tro Rathnew and on out to the old Cullenmore hotel, done a UTurn and headed back, stopped to talk with Eamon Tiley and Peter Savage while they were setting up a duathalon for a min and then kept going with a diversion before Rathnew to take me up to Miltown and up an over a few climbs before heading back to house in 1hr39 for 20:21k.
    4:55k pace / 7:55M pace. No reaction from heel, I had a pair of Rbk Aero that I only ever done 60miles in, as they were an impulse buy and a little too big, but with the full length Ironman insoles they are a perfect fit and felt great - looks like I've got my 10M+ runners sorted for the Winter ;).
    Felt great doing this, plan is to get this run up to 25k, by the end of Oct and then start increasing the pace.
    WTD - 32.3
    MTD - 101.1
    YTD - 1365.2

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice run and good to see you've no reaction from your "achilles" heel. This morning was just one of those great, great times for running.

Mon Sept 21st

Met with Slogger and we went over the trails around the Little Sugarloaf, quite a bit has changed since I used to run there 10 years ago, with paintball and whatnots, after a few dead ends we got there in the end and finished up with a nice fast k along the N11. Just over 11k in about an hour.

Tues Sept 22nd

Met up with on of the club (Joe) who is in the throws of DCM training, he was doing an easy 1hr run which suited me after my 'long run' on Sun and the hills yesterday, so 1 hr around Shanganagh it was on another glorious evening.

WTD - 14.6
    MTD - 115.7
    YTD - 1379.8

As I always need a little challenge to keep me focused and to satisfy my OCD tendancies :rolleyes:, I need to run 10k per day on average for the remainder of the year to hit 2000 miles for the year :D, my caledar day average YTD is 8.38, but I'm focused on endurance for the next 3 months, so barring injury I'm confident.

Weds Sept 23rd
    4 miles easy recovery run at lunch time.

Thurs Sept 24th
    Joined the club for a Pyramid session tonight 2/3/4/5/6/5/4/3/2, great session felt in control all the way around and rattled up 10miles without even noticing it.

WTD - 28.6
    MTD - 129.7
    YTD - 1393.8

Fri Sept 25th

Stopped off in Greystones Rugby Club on the way home and ran 10k on grass, 1st 8k @ 4:55 pace and the last 2 @ 4:30 pace.

WTD - 34.8
    MTD - 135.9
    YTD - 1400.0

• Advertisement

Sat 26th Sept

Great run today wish I could bottle that for a race, got the OH to drop me off at Shanganagh and done 12k (56:42) in there, had a GU and bottle of Lucozade sport stashed which I stopped for about a minute to have. That gave me a buzz and I rattled off 3 x 4:20 k's from there to the Prom in Bray, followed by a 4:30 into a headwind and playing dodgeperson along the Prom.
    Hit the foot of Bray Head and pushed up the hill and onto the Cliff Walk for about 2k in 9:30 and then slowed and enjoyed the scenery for the final 3.75k finishing at St. Crispin's Cell.
    So a nice combination of Grass, Road and Trail and felt like I had loads in the tank.

Total - 21.75k in 1:43:49 (4:46k / 7:41M pace)

WTD - 48.3
    MTD - 149.4
    YTD - 1413.6

Sun Sept 27th

After a nice relaxing evening and a lovely leg massage from the OH it was up early for a nice relaxing run from Whitegates to Killoughter along the Morrough - 11.6k in 55:48, no reaction from the mileage this week which was my biggest week for 26 years :eek:.

WTD - 55.5:D
    MTD - 156.6
    YTD - 1420.8

Travelling to the US next week with work, so the schedule only allows for 3 x 5M, then fly back Sat and run the Novice XC the next day :eek: - let's see how that goes :confused:.

Still in the US flying back tomorrow - 21hrs door to door ouch.
    Managed 3 short runs in over here, but feeling the heat and humidity, 80+ at 6pm. No run tomorrow, will try and squeeze in 3 miles on the way home for the airport and then see if the body holds up for the Novice XC.

WTD - 11.9
    YTD - 1432.7

Managed 2.5k this afternoon, was not up to running directly after the flight after about 2hrs sleep in the 21hrs, body feels ok although a bit energyless. Wicklow Noviuce XC tomorrow, lets see how that goes, not expecting miracles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Best of luck to you too, I see the Raheny 2 mile series starts back on Tuesday, any interest.

Best of luck.

Wasn't sure what to expect today, had a disjointed day yesterday after flying back from the US - 2 x 30min kips during the day and then decided to have a glass of wine about 8pm and was falling asleep on the sofa about 9, Mrs Beep Beep convinced me to go to bed at 10, so I did and slept for 10hrs :eek: and was a real effort to get going this morning.
    Anyway hit Avondale just after 11 (5 yoyos for parking :eek:, but if it goes to the upkeep of this great facility, then it's worth it), met our depleted team (minus DCM's) and surveyed the course (saying it's undulating does it no justice, I think on each 2k lap there's about 50mts of flat).
    Was sweating quite a bit during the warm up so toned that back a bit and focused on hydration, an energy gel and lots of stretching and shorter stuff.
    Race kicked off - maybe 40+ in it and I got in a group which included Peter Savage, Colin Daly and Ben Mooney, so I was either flying or they were taking it easy (unfortunately it was the later). I felt ok for the 1st lap, but as they pushed the pace I didn't have another gear so I focused on running steady and trying to stay in touch with a Kilcoole runner.
    Heading onto the last lap I passed the Kilcoole runner and just kept it steady paced pretty much to the last 800 or so which starts with a steep hill, pushed up that over the crest and then just kept increasing the pace all the way to the finish.
    Finished 12th there may have been another place in it if I wasn't jet lagged, team finished 4th missing 3rd by 2pts, which was ok considering we were missing quite a few of the squad.
    Intermediate next week, at least I can plan properly for that.

WTD - 20.6
    MTD - 12.9
    YTD - 1441.1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great running under very tough circumstances. I always get hit very badly on the return leg from the US. Couldn't picture myself doing an XC run the day after. A credit to you.

A good run and a creditable placing all things considered, well done. I would have been there to cheer you on but OH had chore plans for me.

• Advertisement

Mon Oct 5th

Nice run on Carrick Mountain this morning, just to stretch the legs out after the race yesterday. Have a nice 1.5mile lap up there that is up and down, a perfect XC training loop. 10.65km in 52:20 with 238mts of ascent.
    Tried my $40 Adidas Kanadia TR2's, pretty happy with them, comfortable and a nice balance between a trail shoe and something you could get away with for short distances on the road.
    458352?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

MTD - 19.5
    YTD - 1448.0

Advertisement