Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

viperlogic wrote: »
    No illness at all, slept well all week and even the night before, normally I'm a bag of nerves but wasn't this time. Either just had a real off day or the 6 days of no running before the race must of had an effect.

Do you check your resting HR in the morning? Would get a blood test to see if levels were out also. Did you simply cease up with the few days off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

rom wrote: »
    Do you check your resting HR in the morning? Would get a blood test to see if levels were out also. Did you simply cease up with the few days off?

I didn't that morning and for once didn't wear the HRM during the race. My resting HR is usually between 36-40 bpm. The only difference thinking back to other marathons and vLSR's is that I took more high5 zero tabs leading up to it than normal. Maybe that affected my bloods?

What sort of mileage are you running TF?
    If TFBubendorfer doesn't break 4k miles this year he may as well pack it in. :pac::pac::pac:

I didn't that morning and for once didn't wear the HRM during the race. My resting HR is usually between 36-40 bpm. The only difference thinking back to other marathons and vLSR's is that I took more high5 zero tabs leading up to it than normal. Maybe that affected my bloods?

Nah. I take nuun and they won't do much to you. Only thing it results in you not drinking much during the race I find. Don't know if this is a good or bad thing. Why did you not run in the 6 days leading up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

@viperlogic you're reading to much into it, put it down to a bad day, we've all had them. Not running for 6 days before would not impact your race either so the logical thing to do next time around is to amend your training.

Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    @viperlogic you're reading to much into it, put it down to a bad day, we've all had them. Not running for 6 days before would not impact your race either so the logical thing to do next time around is to amend your training.

Best of luck with it!

Cheers, I've put it well past me and focused on my new goals. Above was just responding to others questions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

So, in the last week I've run a 5k (17:54) and a 5 Mile (29:58).
    Both put me well under 3 hours for the marathon according to McMillan, which would suggest I'm moving in the right direction. I won't take anything for granted though, and will continue to work towards my next target which is the Portumna Half-Marathon on June 14th. My early goal for that is sub 1:23.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

I'm off to do the Tullaroan AC marathon tomorrow. Still aiming to dip under 3hrs for the first time, could be tricky as the course is quite hilly.
    Anyone here planning on running it at about the same pace? I might need some help towards the end :)

My last few runs were 3:03 and 3:01 respectively. (that last one being the Connemara ultra first 2/3rds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭FBOT01

I'm off to do the Tullaroan AC marathon tomorrow. Still aiming to dip under 3hrs for the first time, could be tricky as the course is quite hilly.
    Anyone here planning on running it at about the same pace? I might need some help towards the end :)

My last few runs were 3:03 and 3:01 respectively. (that last one being the Connemara ultra first 2/3rds)

Best of luck.......Enjoy!!

• Advertisement

Good luck Artie

3.03 again, BUT it was a tough course. Next time...

Nice to be able to churn out those times on tough courses! Imagine how easy a sub 3 will be once you do a marathon on an "easy" one! Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

3.03 again, BUT it was a tough course. Next time...

Wouldn't ya go for a flat one next time around?

I mean, the scenic and the alternative is fine but 3.03, 3.01 and 3.03..............

Itziger wrote: »
    Wouldn't ya go for a flat one next time around?

I mean, the scenic and the alternative is fine but 3.03, 3.01 and 3.03..............

Ideally yes. But I'm limited to the races I can run by work and other commitments. I wanted to do the Cork one on Monday but I have a gig tonight. I'm in no hurry and I've learnt a lot during the last few races.

Getting closer to the times that indicate a possible sub 3 in October. In the last 2 weeks have ran...
    5K: 18:30
    10K: 38:22
    Half Marathon: 1:26:44

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Ideally yes. But I'm limited to the races I can run by work and other commitments. I wanted to do the Cork one on Monday but I have a gig tonight. I'm in no hurry and I've learnt a lot during the last few races.

You are on the cusp of a sub 3, no doubt. Here's my opinion for what it's worth! Can you really relate all your 'near misses' to the course and it's toughness? Without knowing your training it's hard to know but what I regularly find is that people train and aim for 2.59:xx. Instead of this, I think if you want to give yourself the very best possible chance of nailing it the next time, maybe train and target 2.55 (for example). There's a lot that can happen on race day. By targeting 2.55 you give yourself a bit a bit of a cushion and improve your chances of hitting your goal.

You are on the cusp of a sub 3, no doubt. Here's my opinion for what it's worth! Can you really relate all your 'near misses' to the course and it's toughness? Without knowing your training it's hard to know but what I regularly find is that people train and aim for 2.59:xx. Instead of this, I think if you want to give yourself the very best possible chance of nailing it the next time, maybe train and target 2.55 (for example). There's a lot that can happen on race day. By targeting 2.55 you give yourself a bit a bit of a cushion and improve your chances of hitting your goal.

+1 on this. Worked perfectly for me in Rotterdam also going from 3:04 to 2:58 by aiming for 2:55.

Oh absolutely. I ran Limerick and was actually way too optimistic and aimed for 2.50. In the end I paid for the early pace and faded quite badly for the last 20k.

Tullaroan after that was just plain tough with lots of hills, so I missed out despite hitting a sensible pace.

At Connemara in April I hit 3.01 in the first third of the Ultra and as far as I was concerned that was at a conservative pace.

So, given a reasonable course, and by timing my pace sensibly at the start I'm pretty sure I'll get it right at some point this year!

However I get what people are saying about training. I wouldn't train nearly as hard as some people. I would generally just do one LSR 1 week or 2 before a marathon at around 30-35k. Most weeks I would average 70k overall. That would be a combination of speed work and longish runs of around 21k at varying paces.
    Before the Connemara Ultra some guys from the UK nearly psyched me out by telling me the amount of crazy B2B runs they did. Apparently they did B2B marathons twice leading up to it. I really don't see the point in that. Better to work on some hills, metabolic efficiency, a good bit of LSR and speed work and you're sorted.

I wouldn't train nearly as hard as some people.

Ah jaysus Artie! I have meself trained into the ground for Waterford and there ya are talking about doing a bit of a long run here and there! :D Seems obvious that the next time you line up at the start line sub 3 will be in the bag!

• Advertisement

Getting closer to the times that indicate a possible sub 3 in October. In the last 2 weeks have ran...
    5K: 18:30
    10K: 38:22
    Half Marathon: 1:26:44

Decision time as its 19 weeks (18 weeks + 1 week buffer) to Amsterdam marathon

Currently weighing up P&D 55-70 and JD Plan A. Followed JD Plan A for Limerick earlier this year and enjoyed the Q sessions as they were challenging and different to make it interesting. Thinking of possibly switching over to P&D for a change.

Any opinion of these two plans for a possible sub 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,502 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Decision time as its 19 weeks (18 weeks + 1 week buffer) to Amsterdam marathon

Currently weighing up P&D 55-70 and JD Plan A. Followed JD Plan A for Limerick earlier this year and enjoyed the Q sessions as they were challenging and different to make it interesting. Thinking of possibly switching over to P&D for a change.

Any opinion of these two plans for a possible sub 3?
    Well, I've probably voiced my opinion on the subject enough at this stage but I don't think Plan A is suitable for anyone running less than 80-100 mpw (which isn't the kind of mileage you need to run for sub-3), so my vote would be with P&D.

Anyone have the P&D 55-70 already in excel format or similar? Saves me typing it out from the book.

Anyone have the P&D 55-70 already in excel format or similar? Saves me typing it out from the book.

Snap!! :)

yaboya1 wrote: »

Comparing to the book I have (second edition) there are a few differences but its fairly close

Comparing to the book I have (second edition) there are a few differences but its fairly close

Yeah, I have the book too. I just got that link off one of the logs. It's probably not ideal as it doesn't list what paces you should be running (LT, VO2 Max, GA, M/L etc.)

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I have the book too. I just got that link off one of the logs. It's probably not ideal as it doesn't list what paces you should be running (LT, VO2 Max, GA, M/L etc.)

Still handy link thou as a starting point. thx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭ooter

planning on doing DCM this october,it'll be only my 2nd marathon having made my debut in DCM last year,3:25 off the back of the hh novice plan.
    my pb's for 5k (18:40),10k (38:20),10 mile (63:30) and HM (86:55).
    they were all achieved last year, i'm doing the clontarf half next month and hoping to go at least sub 85,if not better
    i've ran 30+ miles a week fairly solidly over the last 6 months (ran 40 miles this week) and am starting the p+d 40-55 mile plan in a couple of weeks,am i deluding myself in to thinking that a sub 3 hour marathon is possible?
    to be honest i'd be happy with a sub 3:15 and a gfa for london 2016 but i'd really love to go sub 3 hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I wouldn't say you're deluding yourself ooter, your training has been consistent for months so that should mean that all your race times will drop with proper training.

the best thing you could do now would be to flat out race a 5 or 10k, see where you are, then plan accordingly. If the training goes well and you can run a 1:23-24 half, you could then put yourself in with a good shot at sub3..

just one small note of caution but, the marathon time from last year is quite weak in comparison to the 10m and half, was the marathon very challenging or did you go very conservative? I know its easy to advise people not to get too hung up on times also, but it must be said. You're fairly new to marathoning, enjoy your training and racing and the times will follow.

Advertisement