Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine if we all spoke Irish

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Ok thanks, I'll get to work on that. I really hope you think I'm funny.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

asdasd wrote: »
    He's great, and acknowledged as such in the UK.

What does it matter if he is "acknowledged as such in the UK"? I can think of many supposedly 'great' things 'acknowledged as such in the UK' throughout the centuries that were assuredly not 'great' in the view of the average Irish person.

Dara is very very funny, in my opinion. That's all I need to enjoy him.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Foreign languages are for people who want to get on with life. Irish is for people who cannot let go of the past. I am totally neutral on the subject and neither support or denigrate whatever position one wants to take. I just wish that Irish could rest in peace like Latin to be studied by historians and linguists who would actually get some benefit and enjoyment from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Hasschu wrote: »
    Foreign languages are for people who want to get on with life. Irish is for people who cannot let go of the past. I am totally neutral on the subject and neither support or denigrate whatever position one wants to take. I just wish that Irish could rest in peace like Latin to be studied by historians and linguists who would actually get some benefit and enjoyment from it.

What a load on nonsence. You come across as neutral as the bigot Ian Paisley on the subject tbh.
    There is no reason why we cant learn two languages. One for the natives and one for 'people who want to get on with life':rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Dionysus wrote: »
    What does it matter if he is "acknowledged as such in the UK"? I can think of many supposedly 'great' things 'acknowledged as such in the UK' throughout the centuries that were assuredly not 'great' in the view of the average Irish person.

Dara is very very funny, in my opinion. That's all I need to enjoy him.

Given the topic at hand, I think it might have been a poor choice of words, but I think what the poster meant is that O'Briain is perhaps more popular abroad than he is here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    What a load on nonsence. You come across as neutral as the bigot Ian Paisley on the subject tbh.
    There is no reason why we cant learn two languages. One for the natives and one for 'people who want to get on with life':rolleyes:

Aren't you the one who said, and I quote, "discard the language of the invader"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

What does it matter if he is "acknowledged as such in the UK"?

It matters because were he only famous here, we could put it down to parochialism. He did a star turn in Cananda some time ago, as well. It also matters because the UK has a very very competitive stand up/ Comedic environment at the moment, and there is a hell of a lot of competition out there , most of it very good. So if he holds his own there, he is clearly talented.

This is way off topic, but I really dont get the knocking of a decent Irish sucess story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

It would be class. Could ya imagine French or Spanish or German children trying ta learn Irish?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Aren't you the one who said, and I quote, "discard the language of the invader"?

Eventually;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Hasschu wrote: »
    Irish is for people who cannot let go of the past.

Or it might be just for people who want to speak Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

asdasd wrote: »

This is way off topic, but I really dont get the knocking of a decent Irish sucess story.

I'm not knocking him because he's Irish and he's successful. I'm knocking him because I think he's a **** comedian and he annoys me.

I don't particularly care what anybody else thinks about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Eventually;)

You're like a bottomless pit of terrible ideas, it's quite amazing really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

went over to london lived there through 70s/80s so never really got a chance to learn it then came back here late 80s.1 day a thing comes through the letterbox.irish classes in local gaa centre hehehehehehe:D. i said what the hell i forked up me 10 pound at the time for first class,went down had 1 snob of a teacher simply dreadful she was a secondary school teacher by day wouldnt you know:confused: hehehehehahahahah:P class full of gaa heads and bar room republicans givin out about a province they have never even been to hehehehehehahahahahah:p anyway needless to say i didnt last song hohohoh but hey still managed to pick up a word or 2 but seriously dont even get me started on tg4 what a load of LIATHROIDÍ hehehehehehhehehehehehehahahahahahhaaahohohohohohohohohho;);););):D:D:D:D:D:eek:

good 1

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BuachaillAbroad

It would be class. Could ya imagine French or Spanish or German children trying ta learn Irish?:D

Hi,

Not Irish spoken by a German, but German spoken by a thick accented Irish man...

BuachaillAbroad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3St4broAY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Ahhh Conas at tu?

me fein?

Ta me go maith!

tu?

boff!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Hi,

Not Irish spoken by a German, but German spoken by a thick accented Irish man...

BuachaillAbroad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3St4broAY

Good craic listening to those three lads speaking German. I've the height of respect for anybody who makes the effort to move to a non-English speaking country.

I've never seen a programme about it but during WWII German children were brought to Ireland as refugees. In the Corca Dhuibhne gaeltacht today I know one of these and she was brought up speaking Irish and has made her home there ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%ADomhleathanach

wikipedia in Irish.

ha ha

who writes this stuff ?

why bother ?

who cares ?

Pal wrote: »
    why bother ? who cares ?

Are they reflections on your own existence, per chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

wikipedia in Irish.

And 235 other languages, imagine that?
    who writes this stuff ?

Well, it's hardly the French.
    why bother ?

Why does anybody bother to contribute to a wikipedia article? To share information with the world it would seem.
    who cares ?

The people who read it, obviously. And given the mass amount of contributions in Irish - I would say, many people care.

http://ga.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pr%C3%ADomhleathanach

wikipedia in Irish.

ha ha

who writes this stuff ?

why bother ?

who cares ?

Oddly enough, the guy who tranlates it is an American. PM him if you like...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=4653

• Advertisement

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Oddly enough, the guy who tranlates it is an American. PM him if you like...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=4653

Yes "it", the entire Irish Wikipedia. That's some man!

Rebelheart wrote: »
    Yes "it", the entire Irish Wikipedia. That's some man!

Never said he did it alone (or has, even, trasnlated the entrie site). I am serious, by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Will somebody please kill the irish language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

orourkeda wrote: »
    Will somebody please kill the irish language.

On your own! Or at least a 6.7% minority of the population!

Advertisement