Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine if we all spoke Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was a noble effort, but in terms of aural satisfaction, I'm sorry, Irish ranks somewhere near Welsh. It hasn't got a patch on French or Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'd love to know what Irish sounded like if we all spoke it. Because at the end of the day, what we learn isn't really a natural vibrant language.

And if we did speak it, it'd be fine, we'd just be like the Dutch or whatever, we'd have our own language, yeah, but most of the world's TV and films and so on are in English anyway. So we'd all be fluent in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It was a noble effort, but in terms of aural satisfaction, I'm sorry, Irish ranks somewhere near Welsh. It hasn't got a patch on French or Italian.

It just takes the right speaker! A thick Conamara or Tír Chonaill Gaeltacht accent would sound very sleazy, but for some reason a Corca Dhuibhne accent would do the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I think the Irish language is lovely and because we are an island our language is that bit more unique. I would love to be able to speak Irish fluently. Anyway even if we don't all speak fluent Irish we still use some small Irish phrases occasionally.

Has anyone ever used some Irish phrases or just spoke a small bit of Irish around tourists, even though you don't speak fluent Irish?:D - I must admit, I did that a couple of times! Lol! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Native speakers from rathcairn have the sexiest voices,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I think the Irish language is lovely and because we are an island our language is that bit more unique. I would love to be able to speak Irish fluently. Anyway even if we don't all speak fluent Irish we still use some small Irish phrases occasionally.

Has anyone ever used some Irish phrases or just spoke a small bit of Irish around tourists, even though you don't speak fluent Irish?:D - I must admit, I did that a couple times! Lol! :p

yea, I do it to piss off americans alot :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A thick Conamara or Tír Chonaill Gaeltacht accent would sound very sleazy

Shite

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I think it would be infinitely harder to chat somebody up.

Irish is not the language of love.

I trust that's a reflection of your own success, then? Irish rocks! Some of us have successfully chatted up fiery Irish women under the guise of Irish class for many years. Language classes generally are the hottest places around for meeting the coolest Irish women on the planet. If they are at Irish class they have to be well educated and, more importantly, good-hearted. In a world of shallow, superficial types this is refreshing.

If you want to meet great spirited people and even a soul mate, language classes generally are great fun and chatting birds up in the Irish is just the best craic ever. Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

sé sin an fhírinne! ^

i am going to take a leaf out of steve balmers school of repetition to get the point across

Bilingualism, Bilingualism, Bilingualism, Bilingualism ......

Apart from lots of water.
    'Oh the sea oh the sea
    is grá geal mo chroí,
    long may it reign
    between England and me
    It's a sure guarantee
    that some hour we'll be free
    oh thank God we're surrounded by water!'

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

wouldnt it be great

beidh

beidh

im jealous of your fluency in our native tongue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Dionysus wrote: »
    Some of us have successfully chatted up fiery Irish women under the guise of Irish class for many years. Language classes generally are the hottest places around for meeting the coolest Irish women on the planet. If they are at Irish class they have to be well educated and, more importantly, good-hearted. In a world of shallow, superficial types this is refreshing.

If you want to meet great spirited people and even a soul mate, language classes generally are great fun and chatting birds up in the Irish is just the best craic ever. Legend!

I've been teaching Irish to adults for a few years now and I know of 3 couples who met each other in my class :cool:

im jealous of your fluency in our native tongue.

why thank you! :P

why say a lot when you can get straight to the point? :confused::D

----
    dev met his wife in conradh na gaeilge? if i am not mistaken

i met many (ok a few) fine cailíns meself

karlog wrote: »
    Dont think we would be different just better off if you catch my drift not everyone in a country learns a second language fluently

Yeah, we're [Note: not 'were'] doing powerfully now with all this English. It's not even that "great language to sell pigs in" these days. Those poor French and Finns (to take two nationalities of many) must be down on their knees wishing they had abandoned their own language for the "better off" life English speakers in Ireland now have.

If you read one academic book in your life, go into your local library and read the 'Perspectives' section of J. J. Lee, Politics and Society in Ireland, 1912-1985. It will, hopefully, open up your mind to radical ideas like bilingualism, and historical facts such as the huge economic success of Italian immigrants in the United States despite their first language being Italian, and much, much else.

In the meantime you are, as another poster has said, embarrassing yourself with your anti-Irish language argument. The fact that you are writing in abysmal English adds irony to everything.

exactly i love english (the language) and i love irish (fecking all of it)

bilingualism is great (tri and quad etc is better!!!!)

why thank you! :P

why say a lot when you can get straight to the point? :confused::D

your welcome.:) caithfidh me a ra go ni a fhios agat aon gaeilge ach ta me ar-fheabhas. Ta tu amadach! :) Mwhahaha..:D

your welcome.:) caithfidh me a ra go ni a fhios agat aon gaeilge ach ta me ar-fheabhas. Ta tu amadach! :) Mwhahaha..:D

Caitfidh mé a rá nach bhfuil aon gaeilge agat, ach tá mé ar fheabhas! Tá tú amaideach! :) Mwhahaha.. :D
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: :p

you do know irish - and its the using it that counts - you should try it more, like in the irish forum or teach na ngealt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

I've been teaching Irish to adults for a few years now and I know of 3 couples who met each other in my class :cool:

Will you teach me? If so, how much? PM us.

• Advertisement

that reminds me i am going to have to get a few grind hours of a few ordinary students next year to make some cash

Irish speakers, when trying to encourage other people to pick up Irish, should take care always to present themselves as people we'd want to talk to...

yes - because irish speakers people are magical, they can please everybody at all times.

everyone should try not to be an ass tho, in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

PaulieD wrote: »
    Will you teach me? If so, how much? PM us.

I'll teach you but perhaps you wouldn't want a stupid immigrant teaching you?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

I'd love to know what Irish sounded like if we all spoke it. Because at the end of the day, what we learn isn't really a natural vibrant language.

It would sound like this (it's only a few soicind)

I'm reading Fiche Blian ag Fás at the moment and really enjoying it. One thing that strikes me about it is that people used lots of very affectionate terms to each other all the time, there were lots of kindly words and phrases which were all lost... only to be replaced by "ya gob****e, ya bollix etc"....

I can read Irish fairly effortlessly but when it comes to constructing sentences and speaking it... I'm hopeless and not comfortable about it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

phasers wrote: »
    póg mo thóin

Some of my mates & I got a load of American tourist to say that the other day in town. We told them it meant "Nice to meet you". They were saying it to everyone in the pub. LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭This_Years_Love

I haven't used Irish since school (except for the rude words). In fact I barely just passed it in my Leaving Cert. It would be nice to be able to speak it though. I do wish I'd paid more attention in school. But back then (in my school), we thought it was "gay" and Irish was basically a doss class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

But back then (in my school), we thought it was "gay" and Irish was basically a doss class.

Is fíor duit, is teanga aerach í an Ghaeilge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Look, speaking or understanding Gaeilge doesn't make someone more or less Irish.. But at least, as Irish people - respect the will to keep it a relevant part of our culture.

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    But at least, as Irish people - respect the will to keep it a relevant part of our culture.

As an Irish person, I'm not obliged to do anything. My nationality is a matter of happenstance and nothing more.

This is what I was kinda trying to get at. Nationalism is no incentive to me. If you want to encourage people to pick up Irish, or at least to respect it's preservation, you need to find a better reason to offer them than just "You should because you're Irish."

Advertisement