Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine if we all spoke Irish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

karlog wrote: »
    Ahahahahahaha you suppose eh!!!

Well i might consider it if i was writing a formal f**kin letter but this boards.ie. no one cares about proper grammer on a god dam thread

bazjeeeeeeeeeesus..........

I think you'll find they do. I'll resist the temptation to pick out pieces of your last post. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Sorry lads i know your not down on the old lingo ill try to make reading my posts easier for you next time

You can read the above right? spelling ok etc

please correct me i want to learn from my mistakes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

karlog wrote: »
    Sorry lads i know your not down on the old lingo ill try to make reading my posts easier for you next time

You can read the above right? spelling ok etc

please correct me i want to learn from my mistakes:D

I'll resist again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if we all spoke irish the foreigners would be soo confused and go home :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

An bhfuil tu ag magadh faoi? An bhfuil tu i ndairire?
    Thats the most complicated sentences i can say. :P

Id love to be able to talk fluent irish. Maybe its just me but I love going to London on the tube messing with my sister talking random irish. People look bewildered. I feel 'cool'. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'll resist again :D

Your will power is amazing........bet u ca'nt resist corectin me on dis sentance can ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭marbar

it's a drunken language for me

but i use it most when i'm on the phone to people and i don't want those around me to understand. you don't have to be in another country for that...happens here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

robbie_998 wrote: »
    if we all spoke irish the foreigners would be soo confused and go home :rolleyes:

I don't get it :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Whenever I go away to a foreign country and hear others speaking their native language it does make me want to learn more of my own. Probably why I tend to speak it most on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭markopantelic

In Dublin after the Vikings established it the language spoken would have resembled the language of Iceland(apparently)

Umm???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

In Dublin after the Vikings established it the language spoken would have resembled the language of Iceland(apparently)

Umm???

Well Iceland was settled by the Vikings too. Still I'm not sure if a settlement subsumed and expanded by a foreign people with their own culture and language is really a good example.

Historically the Vikings were relaxed about imposing their culture on others. One only has to look at the Isle of Man where Manx thrived throughout the Viking dominion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Learning to sing the Irish Anthem ' as Gaeilge ' would be a great start for 'some ' of the irish soccer team but then not everybody puts great importance on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭gaeilge-abú

if people in this country like to call themselves irish, they should at least be able to speak the language!

S'í Gaeilge mo chéad teanga!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

I was in the "conradh na gaeilge" shop today buying a few books and i was talking to the attendent and she was saying that the place was unbelievably quiet. She seemed surprised that i could confidently hold a conversation with her, but that was the only Gaeilge i heard in dublin all day 'cept from my own group!! I heard about 12 different languages walking around today alas irish wasnt one of them,. That was a bit depressing,as is the downfall of foinse, but hopefully the future is brighter for irish. My generation sees to have a better interest and respect for irish as a language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

if people in this country like to call themselves irish, they should at least be able to speak the language!

How about no, and to hell with your arbitrary rules on what makes a person Irish.

If i wanted to use a dead language, it'd be Sanskrit. Bitches love sanskrit

you just said that irish is your first language. Yes, Im amazing. I should be a human translator or somethin.:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well I can trace my family lineage back to the 16th century in this fair isle and by tradition way before that(by certain genetic markers too). Can you?

Various members of my lot fought for this country while others were hiding behind their women's skirts, up to and including the oft quoted chapters in the founding of this same fair isle(You know the one everyone and his dog claims? "My granny rode DeValera and Collins, while smuggling 303 springfields up her bits" Yea right, judging by that the British army would have been facing an army of 100,000 grannies and granddads all fighting for Ireland. Oh..... oops....except they weren't).

My lot haven't been native speakers in near 200 years and yet you would appear to claim me and others like me, who have and are contributing to the culture of this nation as not worthy to call themselves Irish? As "póg mo thoin" is the only curse I know in Irish, I feel somewhat trite in using it, so instead I would say to that idea, No. Simply no. Being Irish is more than a language and it's more than empty rhetoric and it's more than some vague attachment to whatever passes at the time for "Irishness", though all three are oft confused as such.

I actually hope Irish thrives, I hope it becomes more than a hobby and something to throw up the flagpole of whatever daft notion grips some. I hope it becomes natural and boring and everyday and then it will truly represent what it is as a part of this culture. Until if and when that happens, then don't use it as a very weak stick to attack any Irish man or woman's right or innate feeling to declare themselves as part of this culture.

End rant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I think it would be infinitely harder to chat somebody up.

Irish is not the language of love.

Oh yes it is! The names of body parts are far more poetic than the English names!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Oh yes it is! The names of body parts are far more poetic than the English names!!

Alright, gimme your best line. Make me weak i mo ghlúnaibh.

Our accent and mindset would fit our language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

please correct me i want to learn from my mistakes

Capital P, needed at the start ( that is standard at the start of sentences). Also you need more punctuation: either two full stops, or a comma and a full stop. The first comma ( or full stop ) should be after the me, the other full stop at the end of the sentence ( after mistakes). Also the i should be capitalised to an I.

I bet you are fluent in Irish, though, and having us on.

Alright, gimme your best line. Make me weak i mo ghlúnaibh.

Ba mhaith liom do chíocha a chuimilt go réidh mall agus mo theanga a lí trasna do bhrollaigh, ar nós cleite ag titim síos an duilleog . Tabharfaidh mo slat mór fada pitphléasc duit!

I might regret posting this in the morning!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

You had me at "Ba mhaith liom"...

Hagar wrote: »
    You had me at "Ba mhaith liom"...

freisin :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

pitphléasc

Whassat?

asdasd wrote: »
    Whassat?

A female orgasm: "Pit" is the Irish for vulva (what an awful word) and "pléasc" is the Irish for explosion ...

i dont think there's much to seperate us from other english speaking nations if we dont
    have some grasp of the language

thanaig si agus d'ol me a thanaig ;)

(fadas don't work on this...)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yéá théy dó. :D

A female orgasm: "Pit" is the Irish for vulva (what an awful word) and "pléasc" is the Irish for explosion ...
    Vulva explosion? Fair description in fairness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

There's a sex column as Gaeilge in nós* magazine

Vocab is brilliant, very authentic articles too.

Advertisement