Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine if we all spoke Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Yep TG4 rocks. A much better way to reach people than forcing people to learn it in school and just alienating most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Have to say, I think TG4 have notably outclassed RTE on that front. Their dubbing of South Park was genius, and they're the only Irish channel I know with any form regarding music programming.

Paisean Faisean always gets a laugh out of me, a feat not managed by RTE this side of the 1990's, and - although not geared towards young people - their documentaries are consistently excellent.

paisean faisean is hilarious. Watch it all the time. The guys on it are so weird. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Always feel very guilty for giggling. Poor lads are trying their best, God love them, but Jaysus, I've nearly laughed myself sick...

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

karlog wrote: »
    In my opinion it would be a disaster.

English being the most widely spoken language in the world it's lucky we have it as our first language agree?:D
    Massive starvation across Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Always feel very guilty for giggling. Poor lads are trying their best, God love them, but Jaysus, I've nearly laughed myself sick...

and then when the young girl meets the 3 lads at the end of the show, i can just think what is going through her mind.
    Brilliant stuff altogether :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

asdasd wrote: »
    Yes, you are less Irish than someone who knows Irish. In other news you are less Welsh than a Welsh speaker, less Spanish than a fluent Spanish speaker etc.
    Oh, sweet zombie Jesus....

Am I more Irish because I suport the Irish football team thansomeone who has no interest in football then...? Who he eff made you judge of the criteria of being Irish?
    maybe I should have said was thought Irish.

pity you weren't taught English...
    The question is why so much hostility to the language? So much so that it becomes impossible to learn.

Not impossible, just undesireable. The problem is that Gaelgori (sp) need to realise that they are not any more Irish because they are better with one aspect of the cultrue tan everyone else. And being more Irish than someone doesn't make you a more intelligent or better person.

Iam saying that nationalism is - as all good socilogical teachers point out - a construct.

That means I accpet the point of an accident of birth, but I dont cede your Irishness. That has to be earned culturally, as it does everywhere else. Nor do I think your anti-nationalism to be what you claim. You are not writing in esperanto, and language use is in itself a tribalist act.

It doesn't need to be earned or proven at all. You are born in Ireland, that means you are Irish. No conditions, no exams, no prerequisies, nothing. You are just as Irish as the guy next guy born on the island.

We are all equal, but some are more equal that others, eh Snowball?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I grew up with Irish and I still speak it when I'm with friends or family from back home, but I do think that being a predominantly English speaking country has been hugely benificial to Ireland. It's shameful that the Department of Education has to stuck to it's tired and failing curriculum for so long that the majority of kids leave school without being able to have a basic conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

I grew up with Irish and I still speak it when I'm with friends or family from back home, but I do think that being a predominantly English speaking country has been hugely benificial to Ireland. It's shameful that the Department of Education has to stuck to it's tired and failing curriculum for so long that the majority of kids leave school without being able to have a basic conversation.
    is irish a changing language ?what i mean is that my wife is a native spanish speaker and when talking to her spanish friends they will suddenly say a line or word in english, i am told in the irish language there in not a word for no or yes, so i would think do irish speakers use the english words?i know it has been said that within the next 200 years most world languages will either be talking a spanish /french/ german ect,version of english or their language will be left as a culture curiosity,what do the irish speaking boardies think ?

An bhfuil tu ag magadh faoi? An bhfuil tu i ndairire?
    Thats the most complicated sentences i can say. :P

Id love to be able to talk fluent irish. Maybe its just me but I love going to London on the tube messing with my sister talking random irish. People look bewildered. I feel 'cool'. Haha
    They're probably thinking "another load of bleedin' forigners", in some parts of London (proper) English is rarely heard!

They're probably thinking "another load of bleedin' forigners", in some parts of London (proper) English is rarely heard!
    thats true in some parts of london/bradford/ rochdale/oldham , you dont hear english at all , in fact you hear more english in dublin and cork than some of the cities in the uk .

• Advertisement

As to the original question, I'd be happy with a bi-Lingual country(like Wales).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭CelticSpirit

I don't think anyone has the right to judge another Irish man or woman based on the language they speak. You could have someone who speaks English and is willing to die for his country and somebody who speaks Irish and would sooner sell his country out than die for it. Irishness is the collective feeling of belonging to the people of Ireland.

Until the people of Ireland collectively speak Irish again it does not define us. However our consciousness as a nation does have roots in the language. This is why we shape the language in our own style.

I come from Dublin and I learned to speak the language, mainly for work (civil service). I have to say that it does make me sad that this is something I cannot share with all of my country men and country women because to me it is inherently Irish to be able to speak Irish with your countrymen.

As to the original question, I'd be happy with a bi-Lingual country(like Wales).

The Welsh are doing slightly better than us, but they are FAR from bi-lingual. About 20% of the population can speak Welsh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes, you are less Irish than someone who knows Irish. In other news you are less Welsh than a Welsh speaker, less Spanish than a fluent Spanish speaker etc.
    Utter bollox. Every Spaniard speaks Spanish. Oh hang on, except they don't. Castillian(Spanish) is the most widespread, yes, but Catalan is another one. Then you have Galician up in the north west which is more like Portuguese and then of course you have Basque. Three major languages, all Spaniards(with a few nationalist types in each region).

Theres been a lot of talk about French types not speaking French etc and that's all fine and dandy but it has little relevance to Ireland for one simple reason. The majority of people in this nation cannot speak fluent Irish. The majority of people in this nation do not have Irish as a first language. The majority of this nation in the generations since the foundation of this state and the mechanisms by that same state to foster the language have not taken it up and have still left us with this language as a minority language. The vast majority of French people speak French. The vast majority of French people have French as their first language. The French language doesn't need propping up by successive governments(and the French can be very twitchy about the language). Compare and contrast. Its a daft comparison.

A better thought experiment would be to imagine France as a country where the majority speak French, yet Breton is considered the "real" "native" and official language of France and you're only a "real" French man or woman if you can speak it. You need it for many careers, millions of Euro are ploughed into it's promotion. It is compulsory in schools. You get preferential treatment in exams if you sit them in Breton. Breton not French is the official language of France as far as the EU is concerned. You have one TV station propped up by taxpayers money that broadcasts in Breton(with French subtitles). You have areas where only Breton speakers can build new homes, where long recognised placenames are Bretonisised. Every government document is written in both Breton and French. The list is long, yet at the end of the day the majority of French people end up speaking French. Which language would one be forced to accept is the real language of the culture that is France?

It is not a case whether one language is better or worse than another. Each language has it's good and bad points, but in the end of the day it is down to communication. That's it.

The question is why so much hostility to the language? So much so that it becomes impossible to learn.
    Honestly? From my point of view and a view I've heard repeated a lot? It's not the language so much as many and I do mean many who push it. The usual tossery of "you're not Irish enough" galls for a start. I would suspect a fair amount who pledge support for the language feel somewhat guilted into it because of these attitudes. Of course if they genuinely supported the language they would bloody well learn it. And before anyone pipes in with the usual "they don't have the opportunity", that's utter bollox too. There are Irish language courses all over the place. All of us went through the school system were exposed to it and apparently taught it. It is advantageous and even required for many public careers here, the law, the civil service, the armed forces, the police. Even then it is still the minority language of this nation. Lip service and the wrong kind.

It is also the sense of exclusion that many Irish speakers exhibit. I have many times been around Irish speakers(all urban for the most part) who make a point of speaking in a language they know some of their guests can't understand. That is intolerably rude and very common. The one truly native Irish speaker(he really only picked up english when he started school) I know has commented on this tendency more than once and it písses him off. To the degree that he will refuse to answer them in Irish and instead replies in English. He personally feels this is a major issue when it comes to the promotion of the language. In contrast when I have been with his family, they rarely do that, until they saw I was cool with it and they're more comfortable in the language anyway. If more were like them...

I also think many Irish promoters are more concerned that the other language is English as much as anything.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. People can crow all day about it as part of their heritage or whatever, but until the majority actually start trying to speak it and actually speaking it and leave their issues at the door(and same goes for anti Irish speakers), it will always be a hobby, an intellectual exercise or a stick to beat non speakers with. It will be more like a working museum piece trotted out on high days and holy days as a curiosity. That's the pity.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

the nice thing i like about the irish speakers in ireland when you get lost ,like i did near galway last year,trying to find clifton i went into a pub to ask the way and have a drink,a group of the lads were talking in irish,they came over to tell me the way to my cottage and wish me a good holliday,this isent the kind of thing that happens with northern welsh speakers,

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Rodgeb

English being the most widely spoken language in the world it's lucky we have it as our first language agree?:D

We would have a situation like in Holland where most people are bilingual.

Most TV programmes, films etc would still be in English so kids would learn to speak English fluently at a very young age even if Irish was the first language spoken in daily life.

English would also be the language of business as it is in much Europe. I work for a large multinational German company. It is a requirement for employment in any of its offices around the world to be fluent in English.

Hardly a disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Yeah, English would be the language of work and Irish would be the language of home and family and the pub.

The Welsh are doing slightly better than us, but they are FAR from bi-lingual. About 20% of the population can speak Welsh.

Fair point, but in "welsh Wales" they are bi-lingual and can (and do) switch languages at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, English would be the language of work and Irish would be the language of home and family and the pub.

Essentially, that's how staff of some multi-national companies in places like Holland, India and other countries without an "international" language communicate now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Why exactly? Nearly every country has its own language, so for some reason we would fail as a county if we had ours?
    IMO we should discard the language of the invader and learn our native language, those that dont like it can go back to England where their ancestors came from.

• Advertisement

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    IMO we should discard the language of the invader and learn our native language, those that dont like it can go back to England where their ancestors came from.

Most English (only) speakers are 100% Irish descent and have several generations of English speaking ancestors.

In the 19th century many switched to English as Irish was considered "backward" and prevented people from gaining an education or any chance of a decent job or emigration. That mindset still prevails in many.

Fair point, but in "welsh Wales" they are bi-lingual and can (and do) switch languages at the drop of a hat.

I'm not sure I'm with you. If you go into any of the Gaeltacht areas in this country people can (and do) the same. The majority of people I grew up with still speak Irish amongst themselves (I'm 24). The Welsh do use the language more, whereas a lot of Irish people have Gaeilge, but choose not to speak it unless they have to.

The only people who have a problem with the language are those who can't speak it. I've yet to meet a fluent person with that attitude. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Why exactly? Nearly every country has its own language, so for some reason we would fail as a county if we had ours?

Worst post yet, even by this thread's standards.

"Discard the language of the invader"? Don't you mean "Discard the language that everyone in Europe uses for day-today business on an international level, thereby rendering us economically redundant"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Most English (only) speakers are 100% Irish descent and have several generations of English speaking ancestors.

In the 19th century many switched to English as Irish was considered "backward" and prevented people from gaining an education or any chance of a decent job or emigration. That mindset still prevails in many.

Very true. The language was basically associated with Nationalism and peasantry.

TG4 has been an unbelievable success - they have modernised the language. People like Hector, Neelo, Dáithí Ó Sé, Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh, the Seoige Sisters and more recently, Des Bishop and John Spillane (regardless of what you think of some of them) have done great things for the language. TG4's programming outdoes RTE more often than not. People now speak Irish with pride.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'd trade a million Bláthnaid Ní Chofaighs to get Dara O'Briain back. :(

I'd trade a million Bláthnaid Ní Chofaighs to get Dara O'Briain back. :(

She's bad, but that bloke is a completely unfunny bellend. His only redeeming feature is that he has Irish. Worst comedian ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

Worst comedian ever.

He's great, and acknowledged as such in the UK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Indeed. Seen him twice doing stand-up and is a very funny, witty and fast guy.

Thank god Mock the Week is back !

He must be funny, then.. :rolleyes:

When are we over going to win the fight against bacteria? I truly can't believe that man can get away with it. Cringeworthy. :pac:

He's the equivalent of Ray D'arcy standing on a stage trying to be 'funny'. The vast majority of comedians out there are shít. If you have the neck to stand up there, some people will laugh because they're told you're funny.

Annoying fúcker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The vast majority of comedians out there are shít. If you have the neck to stand up there, some people will laugh because they're told you're funny.

Feel free to try and be funnier than Dara onstage. It is easy, and free to try your hand at Open Mic events. Thats how he started.

Post your video on YouTube and we can judge it here.

Advertisement