Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stores opening or re-opening in Sligo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

genie wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with the petrol station and shop in Castlebaldwin? Just been there in an attempt to get petrol and it's closed, even though there's a sign up saying that it was re-opening on 1 March under new management. :confused:

Reopening Thursday 22nd.. under new management according to signs there today,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Basq wrote: »
    China City will be doing a "Mini Buffet" for €15.50 per person too!

** loosens belt buckle in anticipation **

Any sign on this place opening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

got a leaflet in the door so i presume its open now or in the next week

Deadly thanks.
    I shall report shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

ge_ch wrote: »
    Interesting thing with that deli/bakery. Remember when the market was there, the ones from cafe mezzanine were complaining that it would take away from their business. That middle floor of the shopping centre is a disaster. Never seen a shopping centre where the escalator skipped a floor.

Was counting up the amount of cafes in the Quayside last week at work, there's 8 at the moment!!!

Deadly thanks.
    I shall report shortly.

Top notch grub. Went this evening for the buffet.
    Its not a buffet self service as you would think.
    Probably a good thing as i wouldnt be a fan of food sitting out being kept lukewarm.

Basically, your place mat is the menu and she comes and takes your order for your soups and starters. Order as much as you like from the selection (bearing in mind the bbq spare ribs means one rib, spring rolls = one spring roll etc, but like I said you can order as much as you like and in fairness are encouraged to do so).

So i had the chicken and sweetcorn soup, sesame prawn toast and salt and chilli ribs (you get a few of the salt and chilli ribs!!!), all were lovely. Others had the salt and chilli prawns/chicken, bbq ribs, chicken satay skewers, won tons and duck with pancakes. No complaints from anyone. Appetisers were freshly prepared and top class. I should also mention you get free unlimited soft drinks (from a can, not the usual flat shyte).
    She arrived mid way through the starters to see if we wanted more, so at this stage you could get more ribs etc if you wanted.

Anyway, happy enough to go for the mains, she cleared our plates and took our order. I went for the chicken curry and fried rice. She told me it was only a small portion and encouraged me to order more so what could i do only add in a kung po pork. Others in the group ordered shredded chicken, chicken chow mein, prawns in hot garlic sauce, chicken balls, sweet and sour chicken, chips and a few more dishes from the starter menu were also ordered. Food was a bit slow to be prepared and come out and rice and chips even longer so i basically had my curry eaten by the time the rice came. Bit of a let down. But again, the quality of the mains was top notch and as there was a group of us, we didnt really mind too much. I would normally really only speak this highly of the mandarin court but this food was really very good and perfectly fresh. Portion sizes are about 2/5ths of a normal portion so you would need a couple but its nice to sample a few dishes.

Halfway through our mains, she came to see if we wanted to order more, but suitably stuffed with clear plates all round, we declined. Its a great way of preventing food wastage as with all these smaller sized portions, there was none left over. House white wine was lovely. Kids under 6 eat free. €14.50 per adult unbelievable value. The desserts were the usual ice cream crap you get in a chinese.

You can of course order from the a la carte, which is also very very good value, but i dont see why you would really if you were sitting in, maybe to be more organised, the mains arriving was unfortunately a bit sporadic. You dont really mind this for all the shared starters but it would be better if all the mains and rices etc arrived at once particularly considering there was a bit of a wait in the first place.

Left feeling not too stuffed but nicely full as the small portions were spread out over the duration of the meal. Will be back, definitely. Tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Brilliant review :)

On the to-do list this weekend then so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Aw yes. Nothing beats a buffet

I heard a few people stating that there is a new Renault dealership opening in Sligo soon,does anybody else have more information?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I thought they had one on the old N4 road near Molly Fultons.

• Advertisement

That's now Clancy's that used to be down at the docks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I heard a few people stating that there is a new Renault dealership opening in Sligo soon,does anybody else have more information?
    irish-stew wrote: »
    I thought they had one on the old N4 road near Molly Fultons.
    UrbanSea wrote: »
    That's now Clancy's that used to be down at the docks

Enda McCarricks were the dealership near the N4. They closed down before Christmas, and Clancy's have now opened up in the premises. Renault Ireland had an ad in the Champion in January looking for garages to take up the franchise so they are definately looking to have a dealership in Sligo again. I haven't heard that anybody has gotten it yet though, hopefully it won't take too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moylanf

Is Gays bike shop still open next to the Polish supermarket at the Quays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭Basq

moylanf wrote: »
    Is Gays bike shop still open next to the Polish supermarket at the Quays?
    I assume you mean Gary's (:D).. and yes, it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 moylanf

Basq wrote: »
    I assume you mean Gary's (:D).. and yes, it is!

Thanks, I'll try again as i need to bring something back.

It looked very closed the other day.

moylanf wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll try again as i need to bring something back.

It looked very closed the other day.

The one beside the polish shop is indeed very much closed.

But his new one across the road beside dominos is open.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

A new deli/shop/cafe has opened in the Quayside. They seem reasonbly priced on food. 3 euro for egg and chips. 1.70 for tea and coffee.

Also the Paco store has moved from The Quayside to Johnston's Court.

Still no sign of a Renault dealer for Sligo but at least Aldi have opened today!

A new cafe opened last week on Bridge Street, it's called Chapters. Very friendly service and great prices: 3 euro for soup and bread, 4 euro for salad and bread.
    Upstairs you can buy a book and a coffee for 4 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in Aldi a few hours ago. It was packed. Great for Sligo. It's very nice inside. €2 for a trolley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see RGDATA have objected to An Board Pleanala for a Frozen Food supermarket from opening in Cleveragh Retail Park. I wonder is that Iceland Supermarket that wants to open there? No surprise that existing traders don't want extra competition, hence the objection.

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2012/new/new20120921.htm#Sligo
    241104: Unit 3A, Cleveragh Retail Park, Cleveragh Demesne, Sligo. (PD12/48)
    • Case Type: Planning Appeal
    • Description: Change of use of Unit 3A from retail warehouse to frozen foodstore.
    • Planning Authority: Sligo County Council
    • Date lodged: 18/09/2012
    • EIS: No
    • NIS: No
    • Parties
      • Abbey Frozen Foods Limited (Applicant)
      • RGDATA (Appellant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

ongarboy wrote: »
    I see RGDATA have objected to An Board Pleanala for a Frozen Food supermarket from opening in Cleveragh Retail Park. I wonder is that Iceland Supermarket that wants to open there? No surprise that existing traders don't want extra competition, hence the objection.

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2012/new/new20120921.htm#Sligo
    241104: Unit 3A, Cleveragh Retail Park, Cleveragh Demesne, Sligo. (PD12/48)
    • Case Type: Planning Appeal
    • Description: Change of use of Unit 3A from retail warehouse to frozen foodstore.
    • Planning Authority: Sligo County Council
    • Date lodged: 18/09/2012
    • EIS: No
    • NIS: No
    • Parties
      • Abbey Frozen Foods Limited (Applicant)
      • RGDATA (Appellant)

Your answer is in your own question. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭whatswhat

Thats a shame they were denied the move as its a great shop just a tad too small.

Seen an advert for staff wanted in the Champion this week for the Yankee Candle shop due to open in Johnston Court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

whatswhat wrote: »
    Thats a shame they were denied the move as its a great shop just a tad too small.

They aren't moving, I thought they just want to extend their existing shop into their existing warehouse making the retail part bigger. This is why I can't understand the objection, the shop has been selling bulk frozen foods to the public for ages, what's the difference if it's a bigger retail space inside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

whatswhat wrote: »
    Seen an advert for staff wanted in the Champion this week for the Yankee Candle shop due to open in Johnston Court.

What sort of info do they give for you to apply? I was told its just a UK phone number to ring. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

You just have to ring a number that's in the ad in the Sligo Champion. I've since thrown the paper out so don't have the number to hand but it is indeed a 0044 number.

I believe they are hoping to open in a months time or so.

Also, there is a clothes shop opening in Johnston Court, can't remember the name but I think it's going to be part of the shop that Tommy Hilfiger was located in, just upstairs. Don't know any more info :(

What sort of info do they give for you to apply? I was told its just a UK phone number to ring. Thanks.

Just checked the paper and the number given is 0044 77697 44915.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Plazaman wrote: »
    They aren't moving, I thought they just want to extend their existing shop into their existing warehouse making the retail part bigger. This is why I can't understand the objection, the shop has been selling bulk frozen foods to the public for ages, what's the difference if it's a bigger retail space inside?

Dunnes and other supermarkets in the area are the Objectors ive herd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

sligono1 wrote: »
    Dunnes and other supermarkets in the area are the Objectors ive herd
    RGDATA were the objectors according to newspaper.

It's in the original post.

• Advertisement

well from what heard about the trade the big retailers wanted to close him up full stop. RGDATA how will a store like that impend on RGDATA members?? you drive past three major retailers to go to the mentioned store,its typical a store offering good value to customers in very difficult times and as a nation what do we do? something were getting very good at Object

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

Hi
    Does anyone know whats going into the new unit that has been built beside the entrance to Aldi.
    There are lads working in there so it must be opening soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,057 ✭✭✭✭Basq

johnire wrote: »
    Hi
    Does anyone know whats going into the new unit that has been built beside the entrance to Aldi.
    There are lads working in there so it must be opening soon.
    Rumours are it's a pharmacy...

.. well, that was the rumours before Aldi even opened.

Pharmacy would be a good hit there,very handy when over shopping in that area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭sligo camper

Yes its a pharmacy all right... been fitted out at moment.

i hear jack and jones are re opening on thursday

Does anybody know if GG Barbershop is closed? Was there just after 2pm today. It was locked up. I called the number and couldn't get through. Ended up going down the road to the new Zagros. Really nice place. I thought they had closed during the summer. Didn't go down far enough and got it mixed up with another barbershop.

DenMan wrote: »
    Does anybody know if GG Barbershop is closed? Was there just after 2pm today. It was locked up. I called the number and couldn't get through. Ended up going down the road to the new Zagros. Really nice place. I thought they had closed during the summer. Didn't go down far enough and got it mixed up with another barbershop.
    persume they were just closed for lunch.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    persume they were just closed for lunch.

I went back at 4pm and they were still closed.

Zipyard have just opened on Rockwood parade. They do clothes alterations. I can't recommend them highly enough, went in today for a dress to be taken in, it was done within the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

DenMan wrote: »

was open today

Sligored wrote: »

was open today
    Was getting worried I'd have to find a new barber

Which is GG barbershop?

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Which is GG barbershop?
    On the Cornor of old market street and high street.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

Yankee Candle store open in Johnston Court where the Jeans Scene was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

The pharmacy at Aldi is now open.

There's also some fitting out going on Castle st. where the old Castle Interiors shop used to be. Anybody know what's going on there. New chippy?

Also down past Barton Smiths by Mollys, new signage and painting going on today, "Arena Amusements" moving in.

Only noticed today that PJ Foley and Sons was actually opened - right opposite the opening to the arcade/Tesco off O'Connell St. Cushioned in between The Liber Bookshop and Moffits. Have I just been ignorant in thinking that's been closed a long long time :confused:?

see theres a new chipper opening beside Mooneys pub in maugherboy

I do love a good chipper

sligono1 wrote: »
    see theres a new chipper opening beside Mooneys pub in maugherboy

Its actually part of Mooneys. Its where the 'Snug' used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

irish-stew wrote: »
    Its actually part of Mooneys. Its where the 'Snug' used to be.

Interesting. Should do well on match day as well as having a large local catchment area.

Advertisement