Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012, do u beleive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Hagar wrote: »
    I'm an hour ahead of you guys and nothing special happened at 20:12 here.

I'm 12hrs.
    If I die I'll post a new thread in AH so every gets loads of warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

flas wrote: »
    i actually heard something about the north and south poles switching or something along those lines on QI and if stephen fry was saying it,well it has to be true...
    Ah he takes it up the bum bum lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭HouseHippo

battser wrote: »
    what about the killer bees though? "They never came"
    The bees are leggin it they can sense the end.....fcuked if i know ehere they are goin mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

flas wrote: »
    i actually heard something about the north and south poles switching or something along those lines on QI and if stephen fry was saying it,well it has to be true

We have A bit of time I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

sells wrote: »
    There is a mayan calender, the most advanced calender known to man, that can predict where and when the stars will be throughout the ages. The calender ends in 2012.

How does it predict where and when the stars will be throughout the ages if it ends in 2012. That's not an "age". In astronomical terms it's a nanosecond!!

Maybe if the Mayans had concentrated more on inventing the wheel rather than focusing on human sacrifice and the sort of predictions that are more suited to the astrology section of a tabloid they wouldn't have been wiped out by the Spanish.

Still I wonder did they see that coming?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Dinter wrote: »

Maybe if the Mayans had concentrated more on inventing the wheel rather than focusing on human sacrifice and the sort of predictions that are more suited to the astrology section of a tabloid they wouldn't have been wiped out by the Spanish.

Still I wonder did they see that coming?

They did apparently. Wasn't there meant to be the return of some white skinned god at some stage in their folklore?

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

There is a mayan calender, the most advanced calender known to man...

It's not as advanced as mine, mine displays the date on the wall using lasers!

My calendar s**ts on the Mayan one.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Really the world is going to end in 2012?In that case I'm definately taking out several large loans that i will be unable to pay back.these last 2.5 years will be good ones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

dsmythy wrote: »
    They did apparently. Wasn't there meant to be the return of some white skinned god at some stage in their folklore?

Nah, apparently that's a load of ballcocks! Cortes made it up so as to use it as an excuse to flatten the Aztecs. Basically he claimed that when the Aztec lad saw him he thought him a god, bowed down to him and then gave up his throne and begged to be converted. (i.e. kidnapped)

Surely if any of those cultures actually believed that these white men were gods they might have been a little intimidated by the sheer number of them. It wasn't only the one white lad traipsing around South America. There was loads of them.

Anyway Quetzacoatl or the Kirkiruk (sp?) was supposed to be a feathered serpent of some kind. Doesn't really describe a white man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Its been foretold that the world will end at pretty much every significant milestone in history.

If you keep guessing you eventually get it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

This thread reminded me of a discussion on a highly regarded current affairs show I saw lately:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

something big will happen i dont believe it will be the end of the world though

hopefully :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

There is a mayan calender, the most advanced calender known to man, that can predict where and when the stars will be throughout the ages. The calender ends in 2012, which the mayans think that this means a new era in human evolution, an "awakening" of some kind. It is said that in 2012, massive disasters will happen throughout the world, like earhquakes and floods. This happens every 3500 years or so, some think, by a mysterious massive planet like object travelling through our solar system, others beleive in aliens, the new world order or a black hole. Nasa predicted that the north and south poles will shift in 2012, and that the earth will pass through the gravitational line of a black hole in our galaxy in 2012. you can find more info about 2012 on youtube or the internet.
    But my question is, do you beleive this or anything will happen? The evidence seems to be pointing towards something will happen!

Lads that is potentially the biggest cock-block on New Years Eve 2011...I don't mean the "black hole", I mean the end of the world or alien invasion.

Is a north and south pole shift in the Karma Sutra??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,115 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lads that is potentially the biggest cock-block on New Years Eve 2011...I don't mean the "black hole", I mean the end of the world or alien invasion.

Is a north and south pole shift in the Karma Sutra??

Cock-block...? Johnny, if you can't get a shag the night before the world ends, you're not trying hard enough!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

If Sarah Palin is elected US president in 2012, this may be true. Otherwise, I think we'll be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭J.S. Pill

I'll be 30 in 2012, I'll probably have had enough of gittin' laid and rockin' out at that stage. Roll on end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

As I Said Lads, Will Smith Comes To Save Us :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭freedom of info

bleg wrote: »
    no it can't

no it doesn't

no they didn't

no it doesn't

idiots

no they didn't

no it doesn't

who gives a sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Unless the voter base of this thread is made entirely of physicists and astronomers, it is pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

There is a mayan calender, the most advanced calender known to man, that can predict where and when the stars will be throughout the ages. The calender ends in 2012, which the mayans think that this means a new era in human evolution, an "awakening" of some kind. It is said that in 2012, massive disasters will happen throughout the world, like earhquakes and floods. This happens every 3500 years or so, some think, by a mysterious massive planet like object travelling through our solar system, others beleive in aliens, the new world order or a black hole. Nasa predicted that the north and south poles will shift in 2012, and that the earth will pass through the gravitational line of a black hole in our galaxy in 2012. you can find more info about 2012 on youtube or the internet.
    But my question is, do you beleive this or anything will happen? The evidence seems to be pointing towards something will happen!

How do you mean advanced exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Snakeblood wrote: »
    How do you mean advanced exactly?

+1
    sells wrote:
    There is a mayan calender, the most advanced calender known to man, that can predict where and when the stars will be throughout the ages. The calender ends in 2012

Can't be that advanced if they only got to 2012, even the one on my PC goes to 2099, thats much more advanced!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Salvelinus

In fairness the Mayans were very well advanced when it cames to some aspects of maths, they had the orbit of Venus recorded accurately. They believed things worked in cycles, the last calendar they had predicted their most recent cycle ending on 2012. Hopefully the morons who believe the current nonsense join a suicide cult to rid the world of their stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I, for one, welcome our polarshifting overlords

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

No, ain't gonna happen.

Getting sick of hearing these now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Maybe if the Mayans paid more attention to gun powder, metal working or medicine than looking at the sky they may still be around to tell us all why their calendar stops in 2012!

Advanced me arse:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

Bono Vox wrote: »
    No, ain't gonna happen.

Getting sick of hearing these now :rolleyes:

It certainly will!! I saw it on the discovery channel

Next you will tell me bear grylls or the big foot documentary was fake:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

The whole '2012' thing is as much of a threat as ManBearPig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭alexcorb1991

Katarn1 wrote: »
    The whole '2012' thing is as much of a threat as ManBearPig.

Excelsior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭bakkiesbotha

Who are the Mayans? Are those the guys who dress up and play the panpipes on the street?

I definitely believe them, if so, and will be sure to ask them for some advice next time I hear the mysterious strains of Titanic echoing down Henry Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

MikeC101 wrote: »
    I'm not your buddy, guy!:D

In fairness, I'm trying to warn people about the dangers of lizardmen without stepping over the line and drawing attention to myself.

I'm not your guy, pal.

Just curious: The people who DO believe in this whole 2012 "Event": What kind of jobs do ye have?

Advertisement