Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

ciaran67 wrote: »
    and so do you :D
    i wish i did brother;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

als393 wrote: »
    i am new here , planing for test , if you want we can help each othere
    Go to www.taximan.ie onto the forum, then General Taxi Issues and listen to the Liveline podcast. You will find all the answers there if you wish to benefit from the experience and mistakes of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Fiona_VEC

Hi Everyone,

I'm from an adult education centre-we are trying to develop a free course for taxi/hackney drivers to help them prepare for the test-as you know getting sample questions etc is really really difficult-I was hoping that someone who has taken the test and passed might me able to tell me a little bit about the questions/the set-up etc-we will be offering a course for drivers who are sitting the skills development section, not the area knowledge section(not yet anyway)-all thoughts would be very much appreciated! Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ciprian

i can remember any at the moment

sorry

• Advertisement

if i remember some i write them here

Thanks-that would be great-we really want to offer these free courses for drivers this september so all thoughts would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Fiona_VEC wrote: »
    Thanks-that would be great-we really want to offer these free courses for drivers this september so all thoughts would be great!

I can remember a lot of the Wicklow one

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

hi fiona if u give the answers to the people doing the test they will pass it but not khow where they are going.

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies-We don't want to give people the answers, but just try and give them some idea of what the test is like-how are the questions asked, is it multiple choice, do they ask questions that are directly from parts of the manual etc? We are not offering a course for the knowledge area-like Dublin or Wicklow etc, but for the other part of the test, the bit on regulation, customer service etc-

Our worry here in the VECs is that some drivers may feel very stressed about taking a test at all-worried about understanding the questions, reading the questions, using the computer. Some people can get really stressed about tests, and we'd like to let drivers who feel that way have a chance to get fully familar with the structure of the test. we want to give drivers who might feel nervous a really good chance to get familar with the idea of the test, and just like any other test, we want to give them a few practice tests, we don't want to give them the answers, but help them understand and pass the test,especially in 2010 when it is still free

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies-We don't want to give people the answers, but just try and give them some idea of what the test is like-how are the questions asked, is it multiple choice, do they ask questions that are directly from parts of the manual etc? We are not offering a course for the knowledge area-like Dublin or Wicklow etc, but for the other part of the test, the bit on regulation, customer service etc-

Our worry here in the VECs is that some drivers may feel very stressed about taking a test at all-worried about understanding the questions, reading the questions, using the computer. Some people can get really stressed about tests, and we'd like to let drivers who feel that way have a chance to get fully familar with the structure of the test. we want to give drivers who might feel nervous a really good chance to get familar with the idea of the test, and just like any other test, we want to give them a few practice tests, we don't want to give them the answers, but help them understand and pass the test,especially in 2010 when it is still free

Thanks

The majority of drivers are going to refuse to do this "test". So maybe you should on behalf of your VEC get onto the TR and ask why drivers who are in the business 15 20 30 40 yrs are requested to do this farcical "test".
    If any driver fails it ,then are then asked to pay 86euro to resit it ..It is appalling and unjust .Fiona yes drivers can and will be stressed doing somthing like this ,but as I said the majority are NOT going to do it .

Hi Oisin,

I really appreciate your reply-and can understand your frustration-it seems the test is very much something that has been 'landed' on drivers with not too much regard for thier abilities, levels, feeling about tests and study and all that that can mean, plus what does this test do for drivers?-for all of us tests and exams are a pretty tough experience and if you have been away from education and study for a number of years-it feels much more stressful-this is where we are hoping to help!

I spoke to the TR many times, not herself directly of course, but the office and I get the feeling that the test is going nowhere, it is just going to be a fact, that if you want to keep your taxi you're going to have to take it at some point-it's not a great response i know, but seems to be the one that I have been given anyway-and how we see it here at the VECs is that maybe if you can just get it out of the way as soon as possible, espcially now that it is free in 2010, perhaps we can help drivers prepare, book and take the test,(all for free) and they won't have to worry about it again?what do you all think????

Hi Oisin,

I really appreciate your reply-and can understand your frustration-it seems the test is very much something that has been 'landed' on drivers with not too much regard for thier abilities, levels, feeling about tests and study and all that that can mean, plus what does this test do for drivers?-for all of us tests and exams are a pretty tough experience and if you have been away from education and study for a number of years-it feels much more stressful-this is where we are hoping to help!

I spoke to the TR many times, not herself directly of course, but the office and I get the feeling that the test is going nowhere, it is just going to be a fact, that if you want to keep your taxi you're going to have to take it at some point-it's not a great response i know, but seems to be the one that I have been given anyway-and how we see it here at the VECs is that maybe if you can just get it out of the way as soon as possible, espcially now that it is free in 2010, perhaps we can help drivers prepare, book and take the test,(all for free) and they won't have to worry about it again?what do you all think????

I think the TR is treating drivers disgracefully .

Back to basics..first not enough taxis then too many. Taxi Reg.then realises the almighty balls up and tries to lower number by; 9 year rule for cars. Skills Dev. Test especially for Dispatch Operators at short notice. Very difficult to obtain the area knowledge in the allotted time, so deadline extended ,but still 220 dispatch licences not issued out of initial application...where did they all go ?.The area knowledge test was so stupid..why learn all of county when most work within 6 mile radius. All drivers are faced with Industry Knowledge test by 2012 ,so why are limo and hackney drivers answering questions about meters when 90% in our county do not have them ? For your information V.E.C. Prometrtic run the test and it is multiple choice of 4 answers.For the illiterate amongst us they have earphones, how they work in the map reading questions is a mystery to me. This industry is one almighty balls up after ballsup by those who must be obeyed. The only hope some drivers will have is to double shift their cars, one ID will cover a number of drivers as the photo quality is bad, it will also help if they have a good suntan and/or limited English. The Taxi reg. is so stupid they are currently issueing ID's that expire in 2015 when they will not be valid after 2011. My advice, " Do not bother getting involved, how can you teach a subject that changes like the weather ?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lukenutz

oisindoyle wrote: »
    The majority of drivers are going to refuse to do this "test". So maybe you should on behalf of your VEC get onto the TR and ask why drivers who are in the business 15 20 30 40 yrs are requested to do this farcical "test".
    If any driver fails it ,then are then asked to pay 86euro to resit it ..It is appalling and unjust .Fiona yes drivers can and will be stressed doing somthing like this ,but as I said the majority are NOT going to do it .

Taxi drivers only have to sit the 1st section of the test and its only common sense and it's easy to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Lukenutz wrote: »
    Taxi drivers only have to sit the 1st section of the test and its only common sense and it's easy to pass.

Is it something that requires much study?

just read the book 3 or 4 times and you should be ok

just read the book 3 or 4 times and you should be ok

You have to do a little more than that, otherwise 20% would not be failing

Do the exam. and come back to us.

Dai John wrote: »
    You have to do a little more than that, otherwise 20% would not be failing

The test is in 2 parts,most are flying through the first section,it's the area knowledge that is tripping people up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

The test is in 2 parts,most are flying through the first section,it's the area knowledge that is tripping people up.

I already have a spsv licence, so i won't be sitting the area knowledge bit. Could you walk in, having not read the manual, and use common sense to pass or is a good read of the manual the way to go.?

I already have a spsv licence, so i won't be sitting the area knowledge bit. Could you walk in, having not read the manual, and use common sense to pass or is a good read of the manual the way to go.?

Well heres one of the questions on it ,,and it beggars belief how stupid the whole thing is ....

"How do you get the attention of a passenger with hearing difficulties in your taxi."???

You would think that maybe you might wave your hand to get their attention or tip them on the arm ,,,NO NO NO ,,,

The answer is .....You "flash the internal lights in the vehicle"...

Thats the answer the CTR want ,,,i mean how stupid can you get!!

No you will need to read it,you might be asked what size engine must a limo have if it's under 30 years old or what is the minimum width of a back seat in a taxi and there are 4 questions on map reading and other random stuff like that but it is all in the book.If you already have the spsv licence i think you get the book for free.The 1st part of the test has 54 questions,i answered them in around 20 minutes then just went throught each question a second time.Each question has 4 multichoice answers,just take your time and you should be fine.

No you will need to read it,you might be asked what size engine must a limo have if it's under 30 years old or what is the minimum width of a back seat in a taxi and there are 4 questions on map reading and other random stuff like that but it is all in the book.If you already have the spsv licence i think you get the book for free.The 1st part of the test has 54 questions,i answered them in around 20 minutes then just went throught each question a second time.Each question has 4 multichoice answers,just take your time and you should be fine.

Yes you will be fine as fine as the 20% who fail Industry Knowledge or the 92% who fail the Area Knowledge

Dai John wrote: »
    Yes you will be fine as fine as the 20% who fail Industry Knowledge or the 92% who fail the Area Knowledge

pappyodaniel was asking me about the Industry Knowledge part of the test and seeing he already holds a spvs licence he should sail through

Thanks for all the great replys guys-really helpful. Our feeling here is that the mannual is one very big book (!) and if you are not used to studying something, or you have been away from it for a very long time, even the thoughts of it can be seriously stressful, I also think it is very very hard to find out about the particualrs of the test-even the fact that you can take an audio test is buried deep in the FAQs on the TR site. Some of the questions also seem kind of 'tricky' and you know yourself, you start to question your own knowledge and disaster strikes in the middle of the test! We don't for a second think we can teach drivers anything about the industry, is really taking a test that we know all about-and the skills that you need for that. We want to offer some study skills, some confidence building around taking the test, practice tests, and really just some support for drivers when taking it and give them the chance to get it over with.
    To be honest, I think the drivers who might need some help are probably not on this forum, but we justed wanted to have some idea of what it is like from the driver point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭robo008

how long are people normally waiting for their licence after handing it into the gardai??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Noswad3210

Does anyone know what type of questions come up on the SPSV Industry knowledge test? Cheers in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Noswad3210 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what type of questions come up on the SPSV Industry knowledge test? Cheers in advance

Yes, they are all questions relating to the taxi and hackney industry;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 als393

hi
    are you passed your test ?
    I am new here and going to test next week can you give me some advice?

Advertisement