Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crumlin j

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Maybe they docked marks for bad spelling;)

Seriously though, I've said it before that the Pre PSV courses are a 100% waste of money if you want to learn. They are only geared at giving you answers for the test and don't help you to learn the layout of Dublin, areas, roads, places of interest etc. The minute you get behind the wheel the answer sheets they hand out won't help you one iota to get a fare home, if you even find one that is.

Yeah you are right to an extent,but t be honest i really know dublin quite well but some of dem question are very hard,i think alot of experienced taxi man would struggle to pass the area knowledge test t be honest..and my mate is a taxi man and he reckons there is still a few quid t be made..

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

crumlin j wrote: »
    Yeah you are right to an extent,but t be honest i really know dublin quite well but some of dem question are very hard,i think alot of experienced taxi man would struggle to pass the area knowledge test t be honest..and my mate is a taxi man and he reckons there is still a few quid t be made..

The key is to read and interprit the questions and the answers. Remember the answer is in front of you. Most people think there are trick questions - there aren't - just tricky ones.

Learn to relax while studying and when sitting the test. I know it might sound daft but if you're not relaxed you won't be able to access the questions in your brain. Don't resit too soon and don't listen to the bashers and good luck.

DavieB wrote: »
    The key is to read and interprit the questions and the answers. Remember the answer is in front of you. Most people think there are trick questions - there aren't - just tricky ones.

Learn to relax while studying and when sitting the test. I know it might sound daft but if you're not relaxed you won't be able to access the questions in your brain. Don't resit too soon and don't listen to the bashers and good luck.
    no its not daft davie its very good advice,because the 2 times i done it i was a little nervous and crammed alot of studying in 2 nights before..why do you think i shouldnt resit too soon..

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

was this over a few beers that he was telling u that there is still money in the game what are u hopeing to get out of it i have just been of sick for the last 10 days and had no money comeing in that is 1 more thing u have to think about if u are out sick no money comes in.so best of luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

no its not daft davie its very good advice,because the 2 times i done it i was a little nervous and crammed alot of studying in 2 nights before..why do you think i shouldnt resit too soon..

Well for a start you may not have sat and gone over in detail what you might have done wrong during the test. Another reason is that you are already stressed out and need to gain some confidence again. After all you managed to get most of the second section correct.

Cramming doesn't help and most people can't really manage it. Little and often comes to mind and a saying I've heard and use is the "Inch-by-inch-anythings-a-cinch.

• Advertisement

james116 wrote: »
    was this over a few beers that he was telling u that there is still money in the game what are u hopeing to get out of it i have just been of sick for the last 10 days and had no money comeing in that is 1 more thing u have to think about if u are out sick no money comes in.so best of luck with the test.
    no james it wasnt mate,he said it to me a few times.like ive no mortgage and i still live at home,ive no kids(dont think so in anyway ha)..like im jus gone 23 and have been out of work for over a year and t be honest i have a pain in me bollox doin nothin,even if i cud make a few quid,im not on about making a killing out of it,jus enuf t keep me goin..yeah u are right about being sick like i know there alot of downsides but i honestly think its better than sitting at home..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭robo008

any advice for county wicklow?? im ok with area knowledge except for a load of new roads popping up all over the county which are not on maps and cant seem to see any names?? also do u still need to know the airport run through town for county wicklow with this new test. I also think the psv system is a joke. I need the licence to drive a limo and have no intention of ever driving a taxi. So why do i need to know the names of every road in the country when i know where im collecting and dropping sometimes up to a week in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

robo008 wrote: »
    any advice for county wicklow?? im ok with area knowledge except for a load of new roads popping up all over the county which are not on maps and cant seem to see any names?? also do u still need to know the airport run through town for county wicklow with this new test. I also think the psv system is a joke. I need the licence to drive a limo and have no intention of ever driving a taxi. So why do i need to know the names of every road in the country when i know where im collecting and dropping sometimes up to a week in advance!!

In fairness, the Regulator doesn't know if you choose to drive a Limo or a Taxi so the same test applies equally to you; it has to assume as such unless we go for a UK system of two levels of PSV; one for working public and one for private hire pick ups.

In fairness, the Regulator doesn't know if you choose to drive a Limo or a Taxi so the same test applies equally to you; it has to assume as such unless we go for a UK system of two levels of PSV; one for working public and one for private hire pick ups.

Myself and my employer have written several letters to the regulator, explaining our situations, almost begging for a separate Limousine licence, or private hire licence. Needless to say a waste of time never have we receieved a reply. My employers have been writing to the regulator about this matter for years now, but sure if the system made sense it wouldnt be irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You should give up and give the jobs to 2 needy taxi drivers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

The problem in this country is that there is no such thing as a 'private hire' vehicle - all vehicles including limos come under the banner of the Small Public Service Vehicle.
    In England you can get a private hire vehicle which is I think similar to our hackneys in that they have to be pre-booked by phone.
    I do agree with the poster there on the psv test for those drivers who perhaps are more like chauffeurs or those who drive wedding cars that are licencsed as limousines and also those drivers who work for funeral undertakers driving the hearse and the funeral cars. They also have to have psv licences I think.
    When you think of it there really is not any great need for these drivers to have to undergo such rigorous testing. Its not as if there is a wedding or a funeral every day of the week depending on where they are located.
    I'm a taxi driver myself and just as an example take the county I operate in which is Mayo a very large county. Why would a driver of a limo be expected to know all the estates in Westport, Ballinrobe, Ballina, Castlebar etc etc.
    If they were providing a car for private hire or corporate hire, chances are they would be driving business people around between hotels and meetings which would more than likely be in the town or environs - not driving all the way back and forwards across the county. And anyway most drivers know where all the main hotels, train and bus stations and various points of interest are in major towns.
    I'm afraid this whole regulatory business is just a racket to extract more and more money from people.

sat the test today and passed, 94% on the 1st part and 81% on the area knowledge, (only scraped a pass) was quite surprised to find on the test that questions were asked on road numbers, for example the road from blessington to dublin is the. N81 N70 N4 etc....

sat the test today and passed, 94% on the 1st part and 81% on the area knowledge, (only scraped a pass) was quite surprised to find on the test that questions were asked on road numbers, for example the road from blessington to dublin is the. N81 N70 N4 etc....
    so out u come and drive around looking for work that is not there welcome to the party pal.

james116 wrote: »
    so out u come and drive around looking for work that is not there welcome to the party pal.

Dont worry, I have no intention of ever driving a taxi, need the licence for chauffeur work with the company I work with now

Dont worry, I have no intention of ever driving a taxi, need the licence for chauffeur work with the company I work with now
    and you think that you won't be working nites and weekends like the rest of us as all your mates go on the beer.best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sickandfedup

Hi there, could anybody who has a list of questions that are coming up in this new spsv test, please pm me with them, im really in need of some help on this matter.

Many Thanks

Hi there, could anybody who has a list of questions that are coming up in this new spsv test, please pm me with them, im really in need of some help on this matter.

Many Thanks

I have all the answers here written on my arm that I got from a guy in a bar in deepest Cabra. The questions you can have for €2287.83 but as for the answers, well it's gonna cost you:D

I have all the answers here written on my arm that I got from a guy in a bar in deepest Cabra. The questions you can have for €2287.83 but as for the answers, well it's gonna cost you:D
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 guppa

taxi license garda processing time in Dublin....plssm helppp...:confused:

Hi All Friends,

garda processing time after submit all docments.

spsv pass test
    2 photo
    tax clearance
    driver licence

pls reply ;;;;;

your friend
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:confused:confused:guppa

• Advertisement

guppa wrote: »
    Hi All Friends,

garda processing time after submit all docments.

spsv pass test
    2 photo
    tax clearance
    driver licence

pls reply ;;;;;

your friend
    :(:(:(:(:(:(:confused:confused:guppa

Maybe if you translated this into coherent English we'd be able to at least answer you if not help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Me thinks he is waiting on his bit of paper to earn the mythical crock of gold that taxi drivers supposedly earn, if so then all I can say is that pople renewing their license have been waiting in excess of 12 weeks in some cases

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

What's the hurry ?.Look at the obstacles. However if you want to work illegally, the chances of being convicted are very slim...check the statistics in the S.P.S.V. Industry Update. 30 minor convictions by 10 enforcement officers and no doubt more than one conviction per offender. Is this in a two year period ?.I could go on but one other point of note from this publication from the Taxi Reg..."Active driver licences" Nov. 2009 47,323. April 2010 46,168 a drop of 1,155 I predict a far greater drop by Dec. 2011. There will be a huge increase in illegal taxis but will there be any convictions ? I think not.Too much like work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I have all the answers here written on my arm

Thats handy

County Tipperary 36 taxis out of 367 S.P.S.V. vehicles...less than one in ten. So why will 9 out of ten existing drivers have to answer questions on meters etc. when they do not have one ? ... Active driver licences for the country 46,168 thats a lot to sit the exam. Especially when 1 in 3 will fail and will have to resit. Can you claim the dole if you fail and blame it on the Taxi Reg. ? Total number of S.P.S.V. vehicles in Ireland subject to 9 year rule..23,704. .In our area I estimate 40% will need to be replaced next year ,say 9,000. Watch the demand for 2nd. hand cars go up assuming operating numbers remain stable. Wow ! What a future. Especially as no new licences being issued ( except for expensive wheelchair ). So tell me again why are so many trying to enter the industry. A minor point...just because you sat the exam to obtain a Dispatch Operators Licence does not excuse you from doing it again to keep your driver's S.P.S.V. if you do not believe it phone the Taxi reg. If you want to verify figures check S.P.S.V. Industry Update No.14 June 2010

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Thats handy

"Elbow" to that;)

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:garda processing time after submit all docments

My renewal submitted 7 Feb.....still waiting...thats only 4 months for a renewal when all was in order..

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerryblackbird

Howyadoing wrote: »
    Hey all. I sat my spsv test today and passed the first part
    And failed second part. I was sure I had got it but alas no.
    I found it a bit odd when I was told there was 36 questions
    But would only be marked out of 32 but what not know which
    32. I think this leaves it to easy to fix results.
    Also they won't let u know what u got right or even the % u
    Got right. Anyone any thoughts on this?......
    Hi. I'm new. Passed first part test 94%, second part 78%. 80% is pass rate. Would like to know if anyone has done repeat, if it is same test or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerryblackbird

Hi. Did test, passed first part, failed second part. If anyone has repeated are they the same or different questions for the second part?

Advertisement