Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Yep definitely get an 8 seater, you can get all the high end golf and corporate tour work with an 8 seater, guaranteed €1,000 a day when you get up and running, its gotta be new and high spec though and you gotta be prepared to change up every year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dunnariogh

a grand a day??,you must be working part time;)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Yep definitely get an 8 seater, you can get all the high end golf and corporate tour work with an 8 seater, guaranteed €1,000 a day when you get up and running, its gotta be new and high spec though and you gotta be prepared to change up every year

You might make a bit extra at weekends with an 8 seater but forget about golf trips and corporate work as that business is dead. All the golf clubs where I live are in bother as they have very few green fees coming to the clubs and there are enough companies doing tour guide stuff. The 8 seater is handy though for runs out of town when you have a full bus but I would not like to have 8 drunks in the back of my taxi I can assure. Sometimes one is bad enough lol lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

So an 8 seater could prove to be the right choice if the drunks weren't a concern?! Getting back to the type of car for a taxi.... I would appreciate any advice from those in the know...... passat/avensis/mondeo. Im thinking that those are the best choices but comments are welcome! Also...what vehicle is best for an 8 seater? Any comments on anything welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Just been reading the last few pages on here and i'm laughing Taximus please tell me your just winding people up.If your in Dublin just do the test or where ever you are and you will find out the questions but maybe not the answers.As for what car or bus to go for look around see what most are driving it might give you a hint, there are so so many Fords out there.

• Advertisement

taximus wrote: »
    So an 8 seater could prove to be the right choice if the drunks weren't a concern?! Getting back to the type of car for a taxi.... I would appreciate any advice from those in the know...... passat/avensis/mondeo. Im thinking that those are the best choices but comments are welcome! Also...what vehicle is best for an 8 seater? Any comments on anything welcome!
    If you want the corporate and executive work then it has to be Mercedes all the way, saloon or bus

anyone know the deadline for the industry knowledge test?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

please log on to taxiregulator.ie you will get all the info you want on there :D

i did,could only find the deadline for the free test

dunnariogh wrote: »
    i did,could only find the deadline for the free test

As far as i know there is no deadline for the test if you already have a licence.They are asking for drivers to do the test but have not said you have to do it

• Advertisement

wexford12 wrote: »
    As far as i know there is no deadline for the test if you already have a licence.They are asking for drivers to do the test but have not said you have to do it
    thanks,just thought i read somewhere a while back that there was a deadline for all drivers,i must have been wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 the searcher

YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOK UP ANSWERS YOURSELF.

WHERE IS THE JEWISH MUSEUM(STREET/ROAD)
    WHERE IS THE CONRAD HOTEL " "
    WHAT STREET /ROAD IS THE COOMBE HOSPITAL ON
    WHICH AREA'S DOES THE CRUMLIN ROAD RUN BETWEEN
    WHICH ROAD DOESNT CROSS THE ROYAL CANAL -ANSWER EAST WALL ROAD
    WHICH AREA'S DOES THE RATHOATH ROAD RUN BETWEEN
    WHICH AREA'S DOES GRIFFITH AVE RUN BETWEEN
    COLLINS AVE RUN BETWEEN
    ROAD US EMBASSY ON
    ROAD ST VINCENTS HOSPITAL ON
    READ UP ON ONE WAY STREETS ,ESPECIALLY SMALL STREETS,
    NAME STREETS FRONT AND BACK OF POWERSCOURT TOWNHOUSE CENTRE
    EYE AND EAR HOSPITAL- STREET ROAD ?
    QUESTION ABOUT WHICH ROAD RUNS TO TALLAGH FROM SOMEWHERE , N81

YOU GET MULTIPLE CHOICE ANSWERS AND SORRY FOR THE VAGENESS OF SOME QUESTIONS BUT YOU GET THE GYST
    IF I REMEMBER MORE IL POST

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

YOU WILL HAVE TO LOOK UP ANSWERS YOURSELF.

WHERE IS THE JEWISH MUSEUM(STREET/ROAD)
    WHERE IS THE CONRAD HOTEL " "
    WHAT STREET /ROAD IS THE COOMBE HOSPITAL ON
    WHICH AREA'S DOES THE CRUMLIN ROAD RUN BETWEEN
    WHICH ROAD DOESNT CROSS THE ROYAL CANAL -ANSWER EAST WALL ROAD
    WHICH AREA'S DOES THE RATHOATH ROAD RUN BETWEEN
    WHICH AREA'S DOES GRIFFITH AVE RUN BETWEEN
    COLLINS AVE RUN BETWEEN
    ROAD US EMBASSY ON
    ROAD ST VINCENTS HOSPITAL ON
    READ UP ON ONE WAY STREETS ,ESPECIALLY SMALL STREETS,
    NAME STREETS FRONT AND BACK OF POWERSCOURT TOWNHOUSE CENTRE
    EYE AND EAR HOSPITAL- STREET ROAD ?
    QUESTION ABOUT WHICH ROAD RUNS TO TALLAGH FROM SOMEWHERE , N81

YOU GET MULTIPLE CHOICE ANSWERS AND SORRY FOR THE VAGENESS OF SOME QUESTIONS BUT YOU GET THE GYST
    IF I REMEMBER MORE IL POST

I love how they ask you what road/street buildings are on when there is at least 2 answers to hand. Also loving the Jewish Museum one, all 2 hours a week that it opens these days ;)

One that used to come up on the old test was the Dublin Civic Museum, even though it had been closed for years. All it was short of asking was which tram terminates at the Pillar! The question sheet was so old that the bribde had to be in farthings :D

I love how they ask you what road/street buildings are on when there is at least 2 answers to hand. Also loving the Jewish Museum one, all 2 hours a week that it opens these days ;)

One that used to come up on the old test was the Dublin Civic Museum, even though it had been closed for years. All it was short of asking was which tram terminates at the Pillar! The question sheet was so old that the bribde had to be in farthings :D

YES THOUGHT A FEW QUESTIONS WERE UNFAIR, ONE LAD I WAS TALKING TO AFTER THE TEST HAD TEARS IN HIS EYES AFTER FAILING FOR THE 3RD TIME,SAID HE COULDNT FACE GOING HOME TO HIS MISSES,VERY UNFAIR COST ON ANYBODY WHOS ON THE DOLE AND TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES LIKE ME !!!! EXCEPT I GET NO DOLE OR ANY PAYMENT AS I WAS SELF EMPLOYED FOR 13 YRS AND EMPLOYED UP TO 6 PEOPLE ,SO HERE I AM TRYING TO GET A FOOT UP AGAIN...by any chance Does anybody have a rough idea how many jobs you would get in a 12 hour shift working exclusively from dublin airport, say 1.30pm-1.30am thurs to sun, how much could you expect to take gross ? I know its a bit of a " how long is a piece of string " question, but anyone with an informed gestimate would help me with a business plan ,thanks in advance .

.by any chance Does anybody have a rough idea how many jobs you would get in a 12 hour shift working exclusively from dublin airport, say 1.30pm-1.30am thurs to sun, how much could you expect to take gross ? I know its a bit of a " how long is a piece of string " question, but anyone with an informed gestimate would help me with a business plan ,thanks in advance .
    You'd need to get a permit first, I think there's a long waiting list for them.

If and when you did, I'd say if you grossed €50 per day you'd be doing well working the port, working dublin airport exclusively is a business plan doomed to failure imo

.by any chance Does anybody have a rough idea how many jobs you would get in a 12 hour shift working exclusively from dublin airport, say 1.30pm-1.30am thurs to sun, how much could you expect to take gross ? I know its a bit of a " how long is a piece of string " question, but anyone with an informed gestimate would help me with a business plan ,thanks in advance .
    You'd need to get a permit first, I think there's a long waiting list for them.

If and when you did, I'd say if you grossed €50 per day you'd be doing well working the port, working dublin airport exclusively is a business plan doomed to failure imo

50 in a 12 hour shift , don't insult my intelligence,I thought it would be at least 65 :) didn't know there was a waiting list, talking to a taxi guy last month and he said he does alright at the airport ,then heads to Harcourt st at around 1.30 am ,I suppose its trial and error., thanks for your feedback anyway .

50 in a 12 hour shift , don't insult my intelligence,I thought it would be at least 65 :) didn't know there was a waiting list, talking to a taxi guy last month and he said he does alright at the airport ,then heads to Harcourt st at around 1.30 am ,I suppose its trial and error., thanks for your feedback anyway .

I think you might get a very big surprise "Searcher" if you live in Dublin have a drive around on a Fri Sat night etc and you will see a city lit up with yellow lights.As for the airport those days are gone go up there and watch 99% of fares go to local hotels not a mile from the pick up.Dont belive me go up and watch and walk over to the coach park there are busses leaving every few mins going to every small town and city in Ireland. Why would anyone take a €100 plus taxi ride when they can get on a bus for up to €15

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

What did we all do wrong not to get these 1,000 euro a day jobs. I think there are a lot of people out there on wacky baccy reading these comments. The only advantage of the 8 seaters are they are easier to clean out the next day. In a car the puke gets into all the nooks and crannies, you can smell it but not find it. A good tip is when you finish in the wee small hours is to leave the doors open and with a bit of luck the dogs and foxes will have cleaned out a lot of the puke for you. Nail everything down as they steal the headrests etc. and cover the seats with pvc covers and the floor with vynyl. I assume someone selling an 8 seater was advising you. Do your own research and get out and see what is happening.

YES THOUGHT A FEW QUESTIONS WERE UNFAIR, ONE LAD I WAS TALKING TO AFTER THE TEST HAD TEARS IN HIS EYES AFTER FAILING FOR THE 3RD TIME,SAID HE COULDNT FACE GOING HOME TO HIS MISSES,VERY UNFAIR COST ON ANYBODY WHOS ON THE DOLE AND TRYING TO BETTER THEMSELVES LIKE ME !!!! EXCEPT I GET NO DOLE OR ANY PAYMENT AS I WAS SELF EMPLOYED FOR 13 YRS AND EMPLOYED UP TO 6 PEOPLE ,SO HERE I AM TRYING TO GET A FOOT UP AGAIN...by any chance Does anybody have a rough idea how many jobs you would get in a 12 hour shift working exclusively from dublin airport, say 1.30pm-1.30am thurs to sun, how much could you expect to take gross ? I know its a bit of a " how long is a piece of string " question, but anyone with an informed gestimate would help me with a business plan ,thanks in advance .

If that's all it takes to bring tears to his eyes ,he's not made for this job

Passed my test today,second time round , JUST SCRAPPED IT AND I RECKON I ONLY GOT 3/4 QUESTIONS WRONG FROM 36 ,ITS VERY TOUGH TO PASS ,I WONT LET THIS ONE EXPIRE ,HOPEFULLY I WILL BE UP AND RUNNING BY DECEMBER .CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND www. taxitaxi.ie for starting off rental . Can money be made paying such rental and radio and insurance. Whats the best radio company to get .I'm based on the Northside Killester. I'm close to the Irish Wheelchair Association Headquarters so was hoping to service that and the orthopedic hospital in clontarf close by and airport
    any helpful advice would be appreciated.
    PEACE AND LOVE TO ALL THE HATERS :cool:

• Advertisement

Passed my test today,second time round , JUST SCRAPPED IT AND I RECKON I ONLY GOT 3/4 QUESTIONS WRONG FROM 36 ,ITS VERY TOUGH TO PASS ,I WONT LET THIS ONE EXPIRE ,HOPEFULLY I WILL BE UP AND RUNNING BY DECEMBER .CAN ANYBODY RECOMMEND www. taxitaxi.ie for starting off rental . Can money be made paying such rental and radio and insurance. Whats the best radio company to get .I'm based on the Northside Killester. I'm close to the Irish Wheelchair Association Headquarters so was hoping to service that and the orthopedic hospital in clontarf close by and airport
    ahh,i remember i was optimistic like that when i started:(

dunnariogh wrote: »
    ahh,i remember i was optimistic like that when i started:(

As I said ,Peace and love to all the haters !

As I said ,Peace and love to all the haters !
    peace and love are very scarce on the streets;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Oh the naiviety of it all ,my heart goes out to you ,Why oh why anyone would even think about getting into the taxi business is beyond me.I dont mean that as a "hater",I would advise anyone out there ,if you are on the dole stay on the dole ,you will have more money ,medical card and peace of mind ,believe me ...Once you get into the business it is ver hard to get out of it,many many are trying and cannot ,,,plus you will NOT get dole money if you decide to give it up ,,,
    Searcher ,think long and hard before you make the move.
    if u want to pm me go ahead,but i think many on here includeing me in the past would advise anyone not to get into the taxi business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Save your breath to cool your porridge Oisin, people just can't be told. It's like trying to tell a child they can't have another sweet. He'll just have to learn the hard way. He'll be back here in 6 months (if not sooner) crying when he realises just how much of a mistake he's made. I wonder is he going to tell SW he's signing off to drive a joer? I reckon if he's going to rent a yoke he'll keep his mouth shut and continue to draw the benefits from the state while taking money from genuine drivers pockets. Scummer if he does.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Well done on passing the test. To answer your questions in short...

Rental is fine if you want to get a feel for the trade without incurring the expense of buying a plate, meter and devaluing your car. That said, you will find you need to cover the rent and diesel first off so it will be hard. I don't know anybody who dealt with that firm so I can't advise you about them; steer clear of se jim whatever you do unless you like driving rusty cars.

Best radio companies in terms of work out there are the bigger firms; NRC, VIP/5 Star, Citycab, Cab 2000 to name a few. Smaller firms cover the local runs and won't carry the corportate/account work such as health boards, government departments and legal/banks. Living close won't make a difference, you'd need to have a radio account for that frim in your car to get the work from them. Bear in mind that if you rent a car, you may not be let fit a radio into your car.

As for the airport, you need a permit to pick up at it; it's very pricy and not worth it IMO.

Stock up on plastic bags for the pukers, the best ones to get are those with the handles as they can hook them on to their ears.

THANKS LOSTY,VERY HELPFUL ,
    OISINDOYLE AND THE ANSWER ,I WAS SELF EMPLOYED FOR 13YRS & EMPLOYED 6 PEOPLE ,LOST BUSINESS LAST YEAR ,ALL THE USUAL BAGGAGE LARGE MORTGAGE CREDIT CARDS CREDIT UNION ,REVENUE,FAILED BUSINESS LOANS ETC ETC ,NO DOLE ,DID MEANS TEST FOR JOBSEEKERS ALLOWANCE AND GOT NOTHING EITHER,SO I GET NOTHING AS MY MISSES EARNS 25K A YEAR ,SO IF I CAN GET EVEN 2 OR 3 HUNDRED A WEEK FROM TAXIING IT WOULD HELP TO LIVE,2 YOUNG KIDS AND MOST OF OUR MONEY GOING ON DEBTS ,TRIED TO GET OTHER JOBS ,TESCO NIGHTSHIFTS,WAREHOUSES ETC BUT NOTHING, NOBODY WANTS A FAT ,BALDING 41 YEAR OLD DUB , EXCEPT THE TAXI BRETHREN ;0 GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL -DONT LET THE BASTARDS GET YOU DOWN ! DAI JOHN ID SAY THEY GET SICK LISTENING TO YOUR ****E ,WHAT A TOSSER:P

• Advertisement

If you can make 2-300 a week profit from taxiing you can make an absolute fortune selling your business plan:D

Advertisement