Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

taximus wrote: »
    1 in 8 people pass and that guy is telling me to get off my ass?? mate, I've been 'off my ass' since I was 16 years old out working in all sorts of conditions. I've been 'off my ass' while you were probably sitting on yours driving around all that time so please....less of it. Now, I appreciate the positive talk I've gotten from the one or two other guys that have answered...though I do believe it naive to say that it isn't a money racket that is being masked under the 'right people for the job' image.
    I'm not looking for a quick fix. Im not looking for the easy ride. Im looking at a wife and two kids that I have to support so to be honest...I dont give a damn about the 'righteous line' I should take.
    I have everything else in order....I just need to pass this test. Anyone who has knowledge of the questions, I'd appreciate you contacting me. Anyone else.....keep your thoughts to yourself coz I aint interested.

Yes you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 taximus

Oisin and Steph....appreciate your comments, but your talking like I have a choice....I dont. The dole won't do. That 'spook' guy....the rules here prohibit me telling you where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭lost marbles

can i ask .whats your plans as to entering the taxi business .
    ok first get your spsv licence .
    then what ?
    invest how much ? considering that the rules now say you must put a plate onto a car less than three years old .[circa €12,000]
    insurance ? the companies are loading new drivers big time [im hearing some cases [circa €4000]
    plate, meter,printer [circa €2500]
    pass out the car as a taxi,fitting of stuff [circa €900]
    the guts of €20,000.
    ofcourse you,ve done all the maths and done up the business plan having a look at the streets on a weekend /week night .
    OR
    maybe you will just go the route that others are taking by getting your spsv licence .saying f##k all to the social rent out a taxi from a no questions asked shyster . hit the streets and rip off the passengers whom are paying their taxes already to those on the social and now pay the metered taxi fare .

Well i can tell you what i wont do if you'd like? I wont be standing on the taxi rank, arms crossed talking to other taxi drivers with their arms crossed about a load of B$%&*X. You seem to have a good grasp of the ins and outs....why dont you help me find the questions to the area knowledge test and then we can meet up, stand outside our taxis, arms crossed, and talk about my options?

Well i can tell you what i wont do if you'd like? I wont be standing on the taxi rank, arms crossed talking to other taxi drivers with their arms crossed about a load of B$%&*X. You seem to have a good grasp of the ins and outs....why dont you help me find the questions to the area knowledge test and then we can meet up, stand outside our taxis, arms crossed, and talk about my options?
    ok so you,ve seen drivers ranked up .now ask yourself why they are sitting on a rank .
    maybe they are just taking a break from all the work ?
    keep moving thats the perfect plan .now add more expence to your business plan .
    whats your other plans ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

If you think you will make more money driving a taxi after paying out all your expenses,then go ahead.
    But the thing is you do have a choice.
    As others have said ,if you stay on the dole you are guaranteed a wage plus other benefits, but once you get a taxi licence and see how truly awful it really is to earn a so called living you will regret it.
    Then if you want to get out of the business ,you will not be entitled to the dole as you are a self employed person .So think long and hard about it mate.
    As for the criticism of drivers standing on ranks with their arms folded and talking b******s as you so politely said ,well as the other driver said ,they are there because there is no work .
    If you think by driving around all day instead of ranking is the way to go ,then with the greatest respect you are very naive .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Taximus, you'd do well to listen to the pro's here. I was driving for five years and I have the experience to back them up as to how hard it has gone. I know the issues in relation to being stuck with no option of welfare to cover your ass if you jack it in as I met it first hand. Trade was dire yet I still had the road expenses to cough up and I found that I was eating into my small cash reserve I had set aside for unexpected bills more and more often; ok for single and no kids me but with a family and a mortgage?

I left when my PSV licence ran out and facing a bill to renew it and to renew my car; at least the choice was made for me.

Anyone know any of the questions on the test....let me know.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Anyone know any of the questions on the test....let me know.

the questions change at each test, dont you understand the concept of "Test"? you need to to either do a PSV Course or study the streets and then sit the test and see how you get on.

you wont get the questions and answers handed to you on a plate (excuse the pun).

Just the questions please. Thankin' yall kindly. By the way, that was good. 'Handed to me on a plate'. Sincerely.... it was good. I laughed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Sums up all thats wrong and hard about the taxi business in Ireland. Not only fighting with the regulator also with each other. :confused:

Ciaran....you are partially right. It's not fighting though, it's the 'dont give any other guy any help' attitude. Honestly.....and I do mean honestly, if a guy asked me to help him with that scandal of a test, there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that I would refuse. Think about it...

Apparently you are asked 36 questions though marked out of 32. The extra 4 are for surveys or something...supposedly. What a load of crap. Those extra 4 questions give them extra scope to fail you if you come close to passing. If you get 30 out of the 32 correct, but 3 out of the 4 wrong, what's to say that they dont just tell you that the 4 survey q's were correct but you got 27 out of 32 correct (or whatever) which is a fail?? Wake up people....it's a scam.

Next, they dont tell you which questions you got wrong. Why not? what possible reason could they have for not telling you? Very convenient for them isnt it?? What a joke.

And just look at the questions!! Look at them! Most of those questions are only learned when you start to do the job! Can any senior taxi drivers tell me honestly that they knew all that before they started? if you do...you are a liar.

Now, if you dont want to agree with what ive said, at least take the reputation of that taxi regulator and her department!!!

Why the hell wouldnt you want to help a guy with the area knowledge questions when he has explained that he needs to pass it quickly to keep paying the bills?? I just dont get that. It's pure begrudgery and nothing else. So, ill say it again....any constructive help, maybe from someone who has done the test preferably, i would appreciate it. Any begrudgers... as ive said before, this forum prohibits me from telling you exactly where i would like you to go.

By the way 'Kceire'....
    I understand the meaning of 'test'. Fair tests I mean. And if those who created the test were dishonest and unfair in the creating of it, Ill be dishonest and unfair in the answering of it. Get your head out of the clouds man.

Ciaran....you are partially right. It's not fighting though, it's the 'dont give any other guy any help' attitude. Honestly.....and I do mean honestly, if a guy asked me to help him with that scandal of a test, there isnt a snowballs chance in hell that I would refuse. Think about it...

Apparently you are asked 36 questions though marked out of 32. The extra 4 are for surveys or something...supposedly. What a load of crap. Those extra 4 questions give them extra scope to fail you if you come close to passing. If you get 30 out of the 32 correct, but 3 out of the 4 wrong, what's to say that they dont just tell you that the 4 survey q's were correct but you got 27 out of 32 correct (or whatever) which is a fail?? Wake up people....it's a scam.

Next, they dont tell you which questions you got wrong. Why not? what possible reason could they have for not telling you? Very convenient for them isnt it?? What a joke.

And just look at the questions!! Look at them! Most of those questions are only learned when you start to do the job! Can any senior taxi drivers tell me honestly that they knew all that before they started? if you do...you are a liar.

Now, if you dont want to agree with what ive said, at least take the reputation of that taxi regulator and her department!!!

Why the hell wouldnt you want to help a guy with the area knowledge questions when he has explained that he needs to pass it quickly to keep paying the bills?? I just dont get that. It's pure begrudgery and nothing else. So, ill say it again....any constructive help, maybe from someone who has done the test preferably, i would appreciate it. Any begrudgers... as ive said before, this forum prohibits me from telling you exactly where i would like you to go.

Well for someone who wants to get into the taxi business ,your attitude leaves a lot to be desired.Everything seems to be a "joke" a "scam" ect ect.
    The reason there is an entry exam is which some say is quite difficult is to ensure potential drivers have the correct knowledge ,theres nothing wrong with that.
    As for your comment saying its begrudgey and no one wants to help you .If anyone read the comments above from those already in the business,they ARE actually helping you by adviseing you that you would be far better off financially , and emotionally, by not going into the taxi business .

Just go the whole hog and get someone to sit the test for you. :eek:

After all that in effect is what you're seeking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

@taximus

When i 1st sat the test i didnt have anyone helping me along the way, why should you be any diffrent, look over the maps and handbook from the TRD and you should be ok, best of luck with it.

As a previous poster has said you've a very bad attitude already i suggest you loose it before ya go into the job or else you'll loose it altogether.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Just go the whole hog and get someone to sit the test for you. :eek:

After all that in effect is what you're seeking

Now that's an old school trick, man ;)

I'm with the other guys on this, Taximus, you already have a grudge about it so I don't see the point in cheating or trying to beat the system as it is. It wasn't too long ago that the old test was a piece of piss; it's now tightened up somewhat and yet in my mind it's probably a little too easy with regard to Dublin knowledge and too obscure with some of the counties. You know the format of the test, they give you the answers to the trade stuff in the information pack so just go out and learn it and buck down on the local stuff; you can't be pulling aside other taxi drivers on the road when you get lost some night on the roads;)

I have a grudge and an attitude? Are you people for real or what? You are the kind of people that think the government doesnt screw people and the sun shines out of their asses. Are ye actually or real or what? Any idiot can see this test for what it is. It has nothing to do with anything as noble as 'knowing your job for the benefit of the passengers'.

My faith in people is on shaky ground thanks to some of the comments ive read on this site. Complete idiocy.

Ill thank you not to comment or address me anymore unless its about something i can positively use for the test.

I have a grudge and an attitude?

Considering you want as good as answers for a test to evaluate you for a State Licence that you reckon is some some sort of con, then yes you do.
    Are you people for real or what? You are the kind of people that think the government doesnt screw people and the sun shines out of their asses. Are ye actually or real or what? Any idiot can see this test for what it is. It has nothing to do with anything as noble as 'knowing your job for the benefit of the passengers'.

Yes, I think we are. I used to drive a taxi; the other lads currently do. We are telling you for your own good not to do the test and to chance a wobbly trade but if you are going to do it then at least do it right from the word go instead of expecting it to be handed to you, however you feel.
    My faith in people is on shaky ground thanks to some of the comments ive read on this site. Complete idiocy.

If you use Board.ie to find faith in people then Lord help you :D
    Ill thank you not to comment or address me anymore unless its about something i can positively use for the test.

Suits me just fine ;)

• Advertisement

Considering you want as good as answers for a test to evaluate you for a State Licence that you reckon is some some sort of con, then yes you do.

Yes, I think we are. I used to drive a taxi; the other lads currently do. We are telling you for your own good not to do the test and to chance a wobbly trade but if you are going to do it then at least do it right from the word go instead of expecting it to be handed to you, however you feel.

If you use Board.ie to find faith in people then Lord help you :D

Suits me just fine ;)

Jackass.

Jackass.
    i know this one !
    started as a tv programme about a load of guys inflicting pain and pranks on each other .then progressed on to become a series of three movies .
    jackass 1,2,and the latest in 3D .

see us taxi drivers know everything ;)
    did i pass .

@taximus
    you started some posts ago asking for the questions to the spsv test saying you wanted into the business really quick and had everything in place .
    existing and x drivers posted back telling you not to waste your already dwindling funds as the business is fooked . you choose to go on like a spoilt child at the sweet counter who ,s not taking mums advise as to why they should,nt have those sweets just now [i want the sweets ,i want those sweets ] .
    maybe if your attitude was different towards people whom are giving genuine advise you might have got somewhere . EG i asked your business plan only to be retorted with "i wont be sitting on a rank with my arms folded talking b###ox" .
    your gripe is,nt with us here .you have a hang up with how many times you will have to sit the test before you get it right .trying just to save yourself money .write out your complaint in a email and send it off to the powers that be . as one poster already told you "you are just looking for the quick fix .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭TheAnswer

Taximus smells suspiciously like a troll, and we all know you don't feed the troll!

TheAnswer wrote: »
    Taximus smells suspiciously like a troll, and we all know you don't feed the troll!

Hmmm,,That did cross my mind as well..:rolleyes:

Nah you need to throw them a titbit or two...

Anyway

Where is the Garda HQ in Cork City

a Watercourse Road
    b Mallow Road
    c Barrack St
    d Anglesea St

Where is St. Finbarrs Hospital

a Old Blackrock Road
    b Blackrock Road
    c Douglas Road
    d Grenville Place

No idea if they're genuine questions but thats the sort of thing your gonna run into, so just get out yer maps, yer golden pages etc. and learn them

Ok.... I have another question. What is the best car for a taxi? 2008 and newer. Passat and Mondeo seem like the obvious choices..... Id like reports on both....and any others.

Well given that you resurrected this thread after a number of months and in previous posts you had a go at many drivers and called one a "jackass".
    Perhaps ,you know the answer to your question already or then again you could be a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Ok.... I have another question. What is the best car for a taxi? 2008 and newer. Passat and Mondeo seem like the obvious choices..... Id like reports on both....and any others.
    You're better off buying a brand new 8 seater, only way you'll get rich quick;)

• Advertisement

So an 8 seater is the way to go.... any particular reasons for that? I would be interested in any advice that can be given... (other than the 'get out of the game coz it's dead) crap.

Advertisement