Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Its spelt wrongly "psv
    trest training"

correct it to "test" and the link works!!

Mmmmm. I figured that, still hope the training is better than the web site

• Registered Users Posts: 6 corkcelt

just wondering can anyone help with training for the waterford area, i am currently trying to do my test and have rang a few of the training centres but no one seems to be able to help...anyone have any ideas? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭wexford12

Corkcelt do yourself a favour just sit in Waterford and see how many taxis there are

wexford12 wrote: »
    Corkcelt do yourself a favour just sit in Waterford and see how many taxis there are
    i wudnt be driving in the city just in the county for a guy with a business built up over the last few years,just tryen to make a few bob like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bulty

Passed spsv test this year in jan.submitt all documents in garda office end of march,its been three months now and still no news.don't know what gards are doinng taking that long to process the file.when u ring the concern person he's always out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭csully397

bulty wrote: »
    Passed spsv test this year in jan.submitt all documents in garda office end of march,its been three months now and still no news.don't know what gards are doinng taking that long to process the file.when u ring the concern person he's always out.

There's no rush....

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

Keep chasing them for it. It's the only way. Call into the Carriage Office if you can. By the way try www.psvtesttraining.com. Hope this helps.

hi all does anyone know of anyone doing spsv training for cork area,recently just passed waterford area test after months of study and 2nd attempt just looking to get my cork licence

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Why do you want two licences? Is one area not enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DavieB

Hi
    This is for Steph 1.

Don't you know the industry at all???

There's always a need to work in other counties, outside of the main cities.

In fact just look at the huge number of taxis from other counties working in Dublin on any weekend night.

• Advertisement

steph1 wrote: »
    The reason I'm luken for cork area is I live a mile from the cork border and can't pick up a fare there there because I have the Waterford licence,just tryen to raise a family of 2 kids any way I can, been made redundant twice in last 4years so lay of Stephanie,I'll do every county in Ireland if it means I can provide

steph1 wrote: »
    The reason I'm luken for cork area is I live a mile from the cork border and can't pick up a fare there there because I have the Waterford licence,just tryen to raise a family of 2 kids any way I can, been made redundant twice in last 4years so lay of Stephanie,I'll do every county in Ireland if it means I can provide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

DavieB wrote: »
    Hi
    This is for Steph 1.

Don't you know the industry at all???

There's always a need to work in other counties, outside of the main cities.

In fact just look at the huge number of taxis from other counties working in Dublin on any weekend night.
    I'm afraid it's you that doesn't know the industry, assuming the above is a serious post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

I do indeed know the industry only too well.
    And corkcelt I know exactly where you are coming from with regards being so near the border of another county.
    However I can also see the other issues with multiple licences and how it affects drivers all over this country.
    I work in Mayo and like you I am very near to the Sligo border. Because I work mainly from my phone I get calls to go across the border to do pick ups from hotels etc after weddings and these would be from people who are coming back into Mayo.
    Now this is not a problem as you can pick up anywhere once prebooked.
    I know from chatting to drivers from all over the country that multiple licences are a problem for a number of reasons. If its quiet in their home town or village the ones with another licence will head off to the next county where they have a licence and ply there taking business away more than likely from a local driver. This happens especially at weekends and in particular at bank holiday weekends.
    Dublin drivers have this problem on a daily basis and also when major events are taking place. Now I know as I am from Dublin myself but dont live there, that the taxi situation up there is dire with the amount of drivers trying to scrounge a living. They most certainly do not need hoards of drivers from the surrounding counties driving up on the busy weekends doing them out of business. The same could probably be said of most of our cities.
    I could apply and do the test for Sligo but to be honest I cant be bothered as I dont need to and I am sure as hell not giving any more money to that body set up to regulate the industry as they have made a total hames of it.
    I know you want to work and provide for your family and that is only right but make sure to promote yourself in your licensed area and have plenty of business cards and drop them to all the bars and hotels and guesthouses etc.
    People in the country like to get to know a driver and especially one who is on time and does not try to rip them off and is reliable. Thats all they want.
    Good luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Really need help please on this one..

I have a Bus Drivers Licence (D1+D).

I have applied for a mini-bus driver job but the girl told me she said I need a SPSV Licence!

She said the bus is under a hackney licence and that the driver must also have same!!!

I have a feeling I should still be able do this job on just by Bus Drivers licence? Do I actually have to do the SPSV test?

Thanks very much.

Jesus Nut wrote: »
    Really need help please on this one..

I have a Bus Drivers Licence (D1+D).

I have applied for a mini-bus driver job but the girl told me she said I need a SPSV Licence!

She said the bus is under a hackney licence and that the driver must also have same!!!

I have a feeling I should still be able do this job on just by Bus Drivers licence? Do I actually have to do the SPSV test?

Thanks very much.
    If it's a hackney then it must have 9 seats or less so D1 licence is irrelevant. SPSV licence is required to operate a SPSV.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Jesus Nut

Where To wrote: »
    If it's a hackney then it must have 9 seats or less so D1 licence is irrelevant. SPSV licence is required to operate a SPSV.

Its a 14 seater

Its a 14 seater
    If it's a 14 seater it's not a hackney, or any other category of SPSV for that matter, so SPSV driver's licence is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Axenti

Howyadoing wrote: »
    Hey all. I sat my spsv test today and passed the first part
    And failed second part. I was sure I had got it but alas no.
    I found it a bit odd when I was told there was 36 questions
    But would only be marked out of 32 but what not know which
    32. I think this leaves it to easy to fix results.
    Also they won't let u know what u got right or even the % u
    Got right. Anyone any thoughts on this?......

This actually sounds right to me. I failed my area test by 1 question. I got 78%. So yeah, they can shuffle the q's around no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,971 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jesus Nut, she may mean this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Its a 14 seater

That cannot be driven by an SPSV licence holder.

(UNLESS that person ALSO has a D1.:))

If it IS a 14 seater under a hackney license, its not legal/legit. Be careful. Step away from the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 LMKtaxi

Doing the test in a few weeks for limerick.

Any tips or possible questions,especially local area knowledge questions that may come up?

Before anyone says don't do it😊 I know someone in the business and although the money isn't great there is a wage to be made if you put in serious hours.

Any comments or help would be much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

LMKtaxi wrote: »
    Doing the test in a few weeks for limerick.

Any tips or possible questions,especially local area knowledge questions that may come up?

Before anyone says don't do it😊 I know someone in the business and although the money isn't great there is a wage to be made if you put in serious hours.

Any comments or help would be much appreciated.

Why dont you ask your friend in the business

because he's at the game 15years so he wont know the type of questions that are going to come up although he probably would know all the answers.lol

Well i passed the test first go but it was a lot harder than i thought. Asking questions about road names in other County towns and villages that in your lifetime will probably never get to is a little on the taking the pist side of ridiculous.

Anyone know how long after you hand in all the paper work to the local guards in Limerick it'll take to get on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerrad01

just wondering how people are studying for the test?? anyone used any of the courses lately or are they a waste of time?? dont fancy having to sit the test a couple of times

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mikelime

Hi All, Doing the spsv in a few days. Can someone tell me if I pass the industry knowledge section and fail the area knowledge do I have to resit both,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leydo1

Hi has anyone done that spsv course here in the hotels in Dublin by naughty RON/ GREEDY PAUL the waffler they teach pure crap what a waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 2 leydo1

nerrad01 wrote: »
    just wondering how people are studying for the test?? anyone used any of the courses lately or are they a waste of time?? dont fancy having to sit the test a couple of times

the test is a waste of time don't use any so called spsv courses been offered on the internet the test has a 97% fail rate their is so much detail needed to pass it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Lola77

Doing my test for Wexford next thurs and I'm currently drowning in OS maps, tourist maps and hand drawn scribbles from driving around the entire county. Has anyone any experience of this test so I can ease off on the panicking slightly ? I'm going to be doing guided history tours so 99% of it is totally irrelevant to me. Do I need to know all the small towns in the county ? Should I focus on Wexford Town, New Ross, Enniscorthy and Gorey only ? There are feckin hundreds of estates around all the towns, do I really need to know all of their names ? Please help !!!

Advertisement