Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SPSV test

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Hi. Did test, passed first part, failed second part. If anyone has repeated are they the same or different questions for the second part?

Must be. Cant believe they would have a 2nd load of questions ready for people who failed first time. Even though its all be revamped this year, I passed 2nd time last year for Wicklow. Wasnt expecting questions about bleedin Tinahely, Woodbridge and Blessington! Still havent been anywhere near them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerryblackbird

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Must be. Cant believe they would have a 2nd load of questions ready for people who failed first time. Even though its all be revamped this year, I passed 2nd time last year for Wicklow. Wasnt expecting questions about bleedin Tinahely, Woodbridge and Blessington! Still havent been anywhere near them either.
    Were the questions very different when you repeated, especially for the 2nd part of the test. I am doing test in Kerry

Were the questions very different when you repeated, especially for the 2nd part of the test. I am doing test in Kerry

Yes mate they were the same. When i realised they were same i wrote them down when i got in. Good luck buddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 guppa

How many weeks or month to clearance for spsv licence from your local garda station?????

pls reply.....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gerryblackbird

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Yes mate they were the same. When i realised they were same i wrote them down when i got in. Good luck buddy.
    Thanks mate, makes things easier. The best of luck to u and that you may live to be 120years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lukenutz

Just back from the test centre,passed 1st time:)
    85% and 84%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ciprian

well done. can you remember any questions? thanks
    failed mine last week.

Thanks mate, makes things easier. The best of luck to u and that you may live to be 120years

120?

NO THANKS! :)

:) thanks

passed!!! thanks lads

• Advertisement

ciprian wrote: »
    passed!!! thanks lads

Need a cab?

not for a while. thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Dai John

According to Industry News approx.1100 drivers less this year and the same number passing exam. approx. the same...so would there have been a 2,200 loss otherwise ? The same document states that before 2012 you must pass exam.to obtain the purple licence so why are they issuing yellow spsv driving licences with an expiry date of 2015 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Dai John wrote: »
    According to Industry News approx.1100 drivers less this year and the same number passing exam. approx. the same...so would there have been a 2,200 loss otherwise ? The same document states that before 2012 you must pass exam.to obtain the purple licence so why are they issuing yellow spsv driving licences with an expiry date of 2015 ?

Drivers who renewed or were passed out prior to the skills test being required, I guess.

The 2015 expiry date on the yellow licences are on two issued within the last 10 days,( that I know of ) this would be in contradiction of the licence being invalid by 1 Jan. 2012. After all if your licence says 2015 and was issued by the Taxi Reg. would you bother with the test ? If you are stopped by the Gardai you are covered. The chances of being stopped by the Taxi Reg. are very slim down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The 2015 expiry date on the yellow licences are on two issued within the last 10 days,( that I know of ) this would be in contradiction of the licence being invalid by 1 Jan. 2012. After all if your licence says 2015 and was issued by the Taxi Reg. would you bother with the test ?

Because the Regulator says that the first test is free to existing drivers:rolleyes: I've read through the last news bulletin letter how many times and there is absolutely no distinction made between a driver who has passed the new skills development test and one who has not sat or who has failed it save for his/her drivers ID card. Amazing, simply amazing.
    If you are stopped by the Gardai you are covered. The chances of being stopped by the Taxi Reg. are very slim down the country.

Bet there was a blitz in Kilkenny and Ballyshannon a few weeks back; can't for the life of me figure that one out :rolleyes: ;)

I am in agreement with the basic need of a qualification for spsv drivers, but the Taxi Reg. has paid attention to some very strange advice. There has been a series of peculiar rules. Too many taxis after a famine now the horse has gone ;a freeze. Taxi rates which make no sense. As a hackney operator the further I go, the lower the price per km. whereas the taxi fare goes up. Usually quantity attracts discount. The skills Dev. Exam. asks questions which are unrelated to the normal day to day operation..eg when only 1 in 10 in our county has a meter do you need to answer questions about meter rates, afterall it is fitted and callibrated ,all you need to do is read it. Most of our work is within a 6 mile radius and it is far more useful to know the local townslands than where the tourist office is in a town 50 miles away. In the case of the Dispatch Operators Licence, not a lot of advance warning was given and the Taxi Reg. realised too late and extended the deadline 3 months. A little more consultation with operators down the country would have provided more and better answers. Problem is there is no turning back now as too many have gone to the trouble of getting the new qualifications. Assuming the Taxi Reg. reads this thread I would still like to know how they can issue a yellow licence expiring in 2015 when they tell us they expire 1 Jan.2012

• Registered Users Posts: 15 GearoidOM

Hi lads...anybody do the SPSV entry exam in Cork? from what ive been reading part 1 seems to be passable but part 2 is the killer...anybody in Cork have first hand experience,are both part 1 and part 2 multiple choice,how hard is part 2 in reference to learning off every street etc in Co Cork...cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭james116

why oh why oh why.:confused:

Do you people consider what is ahead of you if you pass the exam. ? The licence could take 3 months then you have to find a car. No new licences for cars being issued for the next 3 years. If you buy an existing licence the car must be under 3years old. There are new rules continually appearing. Every document must be spot on. Leasing will be out of the question. After everything you have to find work in a saturated market, with every parasite in the country trying to get their paws on your hard earned cash. Wake up ! Get real ! Perhaps you think it will get you into heaven as St.Peter will say,"Taxi driver ? Unsocial hours ,plenty of abuse from drunks etc. You have had your hell on Earth, come in".

• Advertisement

spot on brother.well said

What about the " pukers ".At the S.G.S. test the other day the examiner seemed intrigued with the puke kit I carry and I should add that I always cover the seats with leather type covers and the floor with vynyl .Trying to get people to pay the soiling charge is almost impossible. You could always work days if you are happy to be doing very little. I only have just over a year to my pension, thank God, as I find it a problem keeping pace with all the new rules with extra costs in a declining market.Does it not inspire you to see all of these enthusiastic people going for the Skills Dev. Test and the heaps of civil servants that all know so much more than yourself, what have I missed ? Am I on my own ? Have I developed a persecution complex ? Or are there others out there that see it like me ? In the last year I sat the Skills.Dev. 3 times at a cost of 250e plus time, another 250e for a Dispatch Op.Lic. and a few grand to replace my lovely car due to 9 year rule and then to run around like a scalded cat because my C.2 did not satisfy the S.G.S. Listen to the voice of experience, GET A PROPER JOB.

I had my first puker the other day. The ***** ran but i got his mates. Once i explained quite forcefully that either they got him or i was taking 140 of them they sent other mates to find him. Anyway, i called the Gards who did absolutely fk all about it. They took names of his mates who swore they didnt know where he lived, err ya didnt think they'd say that. Ive been chasing one copper at Bray and she is so uninterested. Ive given up now. He just better hope i never see him again. First job of the night aswell.

Last straw, van is up for sale.

Some years ago I was overtaking 2 slow cars at about 3.30 a,m, and realised that the customer in front next to me was about to puke, I dropped his window and shoved his head out and he plastered the 2 cars as we passed.I kept her lit and got him home fast. Lucky for me only the outside needed a wash. Often thought about the 2 cars. Shouldn't drive so slow.To all you budding drivers we have numerous stories of pukers, runners assaults, car damage etc. to encourage you in your Skills Dev. Test. This job just aint about swanning around in a nice car and wearing sunglasses. One tip; a car is the worse thing to clean puke out of, too many nooks and crannies, never seem to get it all and it smells for weeks. The vans are easier.Guiness is a great laxative , just pray it does not work in your cab. We have plenty of law but no order, do not depend on help from the Gardai they are too busy dealing with real crime. You are on your own out there, even with a radio system it will take time for your mates to reach you. Lucky we have a great health system.

You have all gone very quiet lads, has reality hit ? I was looking at another site; Taximan.ie and came accross a system called "Cabguru". Anyone any experience of this ? Cannot get an answer on their phone so it does not smack of efficiency.

You have all gone very quiet lads, has reality hit ? I was looking at another site; Taximan.ie and came accross a system called "Cabguru". Anyone any experience of this ? Cannot get an answer on their phone so it does not smack of efficiency.

Fishing again so soon John? :)

I like to keep abreast of anything new. This Cabguru , if I read it right is using new technology. The question is ; "Will it work in Ireland ?", That is, outside of the cities, and how much does it cost ? The idea seems good, but would it break down on a Saturday night ? I have an interest in the job,(such dedication) besides I was getting bored and things are moving faster in this job in the last 2 years than the previous 10. No extra money but that will change at the end of next year when there will be less drivers and cars, unless we revert to the old saying, "An Irish solution to an Irish problem", which in this case will be drivers ignoring any rules or regulations. Lets get a few opinions .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 als393

Howyadoing wrote: »
    I would like to here from anyone else who has sat the spsv test for Dublin we could maybe help each other out with questions.:D
    i am new here , planing for test , if you want we can help each othere

als393 wrote: »
    i am new here , planing for test , if you want we can help each othere
    and still they come

• Advertisement

james116 wrote: »
    and still they come

and so do you :D

Advertisement