Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Tocco Lite

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Me too! Too late now though!:)

In the Tocco Lite, the radio only works when the headset is attached. Had another look and still no sign of a recording option!. I'll give the manual a look!

Hi Zonda,

You won't find it in the manuals as it's dodgy issue with Samsung, Creative and LG as they have ahd trouble from the RIAA over having this feature on their phones / MP3 players. Here's a small article about the RIAA and digital FM radio recording.

RIAA Article

Nokia had included the option on the first batch of N91's but the disabled it.

I'm surprised more people don't rave about the ability to record from the radio. It is my number one feature I look for on a phone. I have no interest in a camera on my phone, have a TZ7 for that :)

I just love hooking my G600 up to my car stereo and if a song comes on I like then I just hit record. I have a 4gb card with over 2000 songs and i'd say 500 at least are recorded from the radio.

The G600 records to the phone's memory card in MP3 format and you can choose three different levels of quality.

The Samsung Ultra Touch also has excellent quality fm recordings but I just hated the touch screen - I might try the new Samsung Jet when it comes out as it's supposed to be much faster and as it's a little wider might not be as frustrating to use.

The little J700i even has this FM Recording feature but no where near as good as the G600 or Ultra Touch.

I bought a Samsung i8510 for Eur350 last month and sold it with anger for Eur200 a week later as, while it had Fm Radio Recording, the radio reception was useless.

Love the G600 but no way to set T9 Texting as Default and switching is a nightmare while texting in a hurry. Also, there is only four horrible preinstalled sounds for Text Message Alerts on it. The ability to use MP3's seems to be only available on some firmware versions and I've never been able to find one.

I see the O2 centre on Grafton Street now has Jet Black G600's for sale (mine's Ebony Black) and I might just be tempted to see if these new ones have the T9 Text issues and MP3 Message Alert option fixed.

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What are the T9 issues? The Ultra is set to GSM alphabet by default, which is useless for composing an SMS. Maybe other handsets are the same?

JustinOval wrote: »
    What are the T9 issues? The Ultra is set to GSM alphabet by default, which is useless for composing an SMS. Maybe other handsets are the same?

If you add a symbol it goes back to Abc instead of returning to T9. Add a number and it's the same.

Samsung have always had an odd texting setup. They seem to change it around with every phone too. Sony are my favourite phones for texting.

Another thing about the G600 which bugs me is that when you get a delivery report it doesn't say which text the report is for. SO if you sent a few texts then no way to know which one was delivered .. frustrating :mad:

Nic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Oh yeah, that was a problem on the Ultra too - the best thing to do is ditch the operator firmware, which is usually full of bugs,
    and go for the latest unbranded - it transformed mine.

Firmware files and guides are all here, easy anough to do if you read through a couple of times.

http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?board=3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Nico22 wrote: »
    Hi Zonda,

You won't find it in the manuals as it's dodgy issue with Samsung, Creative and LG as they have ahd trouble from the RIAA over having this feature on their phones / MP3 players. Here's a small article about the RIAA and digital FM radio recording.

RIAA Article

Nokia had included the option on the first batch of N91's but the disabled it.

I'm surprised more people don't rave about the ability to record from the radio. It is my number one feature I look for on a phone. I have no interest in a camera on my phone, have a TZ7 for that :)

I just love hooking my G600 up to my car stereo and if a song comes on I like then I just hit record. I have a 4gb card with over 2000 songs and i'd say 500 at least are recorded from the radio.

The G600 records to the phone's memory card in MP3 format and you can choose three different levels of quality.

The Samsung Ultra Touch also has excellent quality fm recordings but I just hated the touch screen - I might try the new Samsung Jet when it comes out as it's supposed to be much faster and as it's a little wider might not be as frustrating to use.

The little J700i even has this FM Recording feature but no where near as good as the G600 or Ultra Touch.

I bought a Samsung i8510 for Eur350 last month and sold it with anger for Eur200 a week later as, while it had Fm Radio Recording, the radio reception was useless.

Love the G600 but no way to set T9 Texting as Default and switching is a nightmare while texting in a hurry. Also, there is only four horrible preinstalled sounds for Text Message Alerts on it. The ability to use MP3's seems to be only available on some firmware versions and I've never been able to find one.

I see the O2 centre on Grafton Street now has Jet Black G600's for sale (mine's Ebony Black) and I might just be tempted to see if these new ones have the T9 Text issues and MP3 Message Alert option fixed.

Nic

Hey Nico

Interesting post! It would certainly be useful by the sound of things. Are you then able to take any recordings off the phone and convert to mp3?

Its total BS that the RIAA are stopping this. I mean the same thing is done with dvd recorders recording off the tv but that seems perfectly alright. It doesnt look to be on the tocco lite at all though! Its a shame, i guess samsung are ditching the feature, the tocco lite is prob their latest phone and if it doesnt have it...:(

• Advertisement

Hey Nico

Interesting post! It would certainly be useful by the sound of things. Are you then able to take any recordings off the phone and convert to mp3?

No need to 'convert' as the G600, Ultra Touch and I8510i all recorded and saved the file in MP3 format. That's why I love the feature so much.

You can then use that MP3 as a ringtone if you wish.

I like to record the FM104 chat show and Joe Duffy etc and just listen when to it whenever ..

It doesnt look to be on the tocco lite at all though! Its a shame, i guess samsung are ditching the feature, the tocco lite is prob their latest phone and if it doesnt have it...:(

Well it's on the new Samsung Jet acording to reviews so think they will be sticking with it.

Nic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jnolan

Hey, I bought the Samsung Tocco Lite on Vodafone cause I wanted the white one(only available on Vodafone).
    However I am a Meteor customer, so does anyone have any idea how i could go about getting it unlocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jnolan

Anyone any idea about getting the Tocco lite unlocked to take a meteor sim card? it currently takes a vodafone sim card
    any help would be appreciated

jnolan wrote: »
    Anyone any idea about getting the Tocco lite unlocked to take a meteor sim card? it currently takes a vodafone sim card
    any help would be appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.ie/VODAFONE-IRELAND-UNLOCK-CODE-FOR-SAMSUNG-TOCCO-LITE_W0QQitemZ260456236404QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20090731?IMSfp=TL090731162001r1454

Dont know anything about unlocking phones but a simple search came across this

Well, apologies to all above who told me that the Samsung Tocco Lite did 'not' record fm radio broadcasts .. but, like a bold child, I went and bought it anyway to make sure.

Of course you were all right but as the GSMArena.com review said it did ..

________________________________________________________________________________
    ToccoLite.jpg
    ________________________________________________________________________________

.. so naturally I assumed you were all wrong .. you weren't :D

I just bought it at 5pm got it unlocked (*ahem* on Moore St) for €25 .. quite expensive and thought I'd get it unlocked for €15 as I know a few of the guys .. but they were all saying €25.

One said €20 but don't trust him as he blew a mates phone and only knew I wanted the Tocco Lite unlocked as he was listening outside at the door ..

So now I have a brand new Silver unlocked Tocco Lite and me doesn't want it (just put it on BuyandSell) .. I want the Samsung Jet now :mad:

Nic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭AfterDusk

Anybody having issues with in-call quality on Tocco Lite? It's the only thing currently holding me back from buying it..

:)

neil2304 wrote: »
    Anybody having issues with in-call quality on Tocco Lite? It's the only thing currently holding me back from buying it..

:)

No, but when on a call the phone locks if you use the auto lock .. never had a phone before that auto-locked while on a phone call.

If you have to enter a number from the virtual keypad for say a bank account or pin number, then you need to hold down the lock key and then when it unlocks, press keypad on the touchscreen.

No way to have the keypad showing when on a call automatically which is a bit much. Unless you switch off auto-lock totally ..

Wish these 'large screen' phones would have a slide out keypad .. think touch screen keypad's are a nightmare really.

Still want the Jet though :)

Yeah, the Jet looks nice alright.. But for me on student budget it's either the Tocco Lite or the Cara

Lads, now i got a problem. My tocco lite's battery life has, pretty much all of a sudden, gone to sh*t

The last two days now, i've charged it overnight, only to find it down to to one bar battery level, the following night. Now, i've barely used the thing during these days, only a few messages. I've checked bluetooth is most certainly turned off and everything. Anyone got any idea what the problem might be or will i be forced to get this?

:D
    Lads, now i got a problem. My tocco lite's battery life has, pretty much all of a sudden, gone to sh*t

The last two days now, i've charged it overnight, only to find it down to to one bar battery level, the following night. Now, i've barely used the thing during these days, only a few messages. I've checked bluetooth is most certainly turned off and everything. Anyone got any idea what the problem might be or will i be forced to get this?

I brought the Tocco Lite back today and got a refund. It started making calls itself - no idea why.

Couldn't afford a Jet myself either at the moment. If Richard Hanon wasn't such a gangster having his longer priced second string beating his more fancied shorter priced ones then I would be sitting here with one now :D

Anyway, had a play with the Jet on Grafton St as both CarphoneWarhouse & Vodaphone shops there have a plastic-incased Jet to play with.

In seems in a different league to the Tocco Lite, Tocco and even the Ultra Touch.

Don't get me wrong the Tocco Ultra Touch is an excellent phone but the screen is far too narrow for a touch screen. A cross between the Jet and the Ultra Touch would be my ideal phone.

The Ultra Touch records FM Radio to MP3 and the recordings are excellent in quality. You simply can not tell the difference between live stereo broadcast and playback of a recording.

When I had a look at the Jet went into the radio setting and can confirm it too allows FM Radio Recording. It has recording quality settings too if you want a smaller MP3 file size, which is nice. Heard a rumour about the Jet having an FM Transmitter also but couldn't find it in the applications folder at least

I can tell you that the handwriting recognition is 100 times better on the Jet than the Tocco Lite which hardly ever got the letter 'a' right. Loved that you could unlock the Tocco Lite by writing a letter on the screen - the letter ' l ' being the handiest.

However, the fact that if you have the phone on autolock this then means the phone locks when your on a call was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Ok so I'm going to order either this or the LG Cookie, anyone have any preference for either?

the samsung tocco has more battery time to talk, its has more internal memery, its can hold more external memery, its supports mobile internet.

the lg cookie: no mobile internet, has USB.

see for yourself: https://store.meteor.ie/phones/compare/samsung_tocco_lite--lg_cookie .

Seems the Jet is selling like hot cakes. Hope that means the price comes down to the €250 mark .. then I'll buy. €325 is about the cheapest online right now ..

Samsung Jet Outselling iPhone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

I recrntly got a tocco lite and love the touchscreen on it. I wanted to go for the full tocco but I was on a budget. Seems responsive and easy to use. I am also not a fan of the autolock feature but i can live with that.

The only other thing that bugs me is the connector for the headfones is on the side of the phone and the headfones that come with it are pritty crap bog standard ones. Would also like to be able to use headfones with a standard 3.5mm jack on the phone instead of the connector that samsung use.

Firefox10 wrote: »
    Would also like to be able to use headfones with a standard 3.5mm jack on the phone instead of the connector that samsung use.

Yeah, those white ones that come with it are junk.

You can get the following Samsung earphones that have a built in 3.5m jack for €10 .. either in town or on Ebay .. SamsungEarphones.jpg

I'm torn between the Jet and Cara.. I suppose the Cara is a poor man's (me) Jet, but how long do we have to wait for the Jet to depreciate?? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Yeah, those white ones that come with it are junk.

You can get the following Samsung earphones that have a built in 3.5m jack for €10 .. either in town or on Ebay .. SamsungEarphones.jpg

Where abouts in town can you get them??

gcgirl wrote: »
    Where abouts in town can you get them??

Downstairs in the Moore St Mall (corner of Moore St & Parnell St) there is a mobile acessories shop called Phone Centre. It's the next shop up from Cash Converters. I know the guy who runs the place and he is always sound and gives discounts if you buy a few things from him.

I have bought these earphones myself and they are great. They are handy as if you do want to put your own earphones in and take out the ones that come with them - you still then have the call / answer button on them.

I much prefer this in-ear type ones anyway as they hardly ever fall out ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Nice one Nico thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Hey guys!

Quick question:
    I recently bought the Samsung j700i...im the ultimate technophobe and usually stick to the most basic of nokia models(awkwardly im 18...not the old woman i sound like!) but i got distracted by the shinyness of this samsung and i was just wondering how u save ur sent messages....i like to be fully informed of the drunk texts ive sent.....
    please and thank u x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Downstairs in the Moore St Mall (corner of Moore St & Parnell St) there is a mobile acessories shop called Phone Centre. It's the next shop up from Cash Converters. I know the guy who runs the place and he is always sound and gives discounts if you buy a few things from him.

I have bought these earphones myself and they are great. They are handy as if you do want to put your own earphones in and take out the ones that come with them - you still then have the call / answer button on them.

I much prefer this in-ear type ones anyway as they hardly ever fall out ..

Thanks For that. I probably wont be able to get down there but i know what to check out on ebay now. Cheers!

rois! wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Quick question:
    I recently bought the Samsung j700i...im the ultimate technophobe and usually stick to the most basic of nokia models(awkwardly im 18...not the old woman i sound like!) but i got distracted by the shinyness of this samsung and i was just wondering how u save ur sent messages....i like to be fully informed of the drunk texts ive sent.....
    please and thank u x

There is no way to save texts automatically but when your sending a text your giving options. The first option is 'send' and the second option is 'save and send' ..

:(

Lads, this problem is worse than ever. The battery will only last a 12 hour day, nothing more. Meaning if i forget to charge it one night, i'll have to go a day without the phone. Very disappointed that this has happened to such a new phone(2 months old only) that i havent used that heavily.

What will i be told if i bring it back to a meteor shop?

:(

Lads, this problem is worse than ever. The battery will only last a 12 hour day, nothing more. Meaning if i forget to charge it one night, i'll have to go a day without the phone. Very disappointed that this has happened to such a new phone(2 months old only) that i havent used that heavily.

What will i be told if i bring it back to a meteor shop?

It depends who you get at the shop to be honest.

When I brought my Tocco Lite back to the 3G Mobile shop on Henry St the guy was a nightmare. Straight away he was saying that it has to get repaired and checked out etc etc

Now, according to the law they can pretty much send it off and make you wait while hey decide if it's your fault.

However, I told the guy I wanted a refund and he said no way. What annoyed me was he wanted to exchange it for another one or get it repaired. Now this may seem fair to others .. but my opinion is that if a shop are offering an exchange then they should offer a refund (unless you've lost the receipt or something).

Otherwise they are just saying we'll give you a refund but only if you spend your money here.

Anyway, went up to 3G Mobile in St Stephens Shopping centre, showed her the fault and she didn't even ask me if I wanted another phone or exchange, she just popped the till and gave me a refund.

The thing is, your fault is not so obvious and you can't really show them .. it's a hard one to call. Maybe wait till it just won't charge at all .. or chance it by seeing what they say. You can always refuse the repair if they only offer that.

You might get lucky though and get a replacement model.

It depends who you get at the shop to be honest.

When I brought my Tocco Lite back to the 3G Mobile shop on Henry St the guy was a nightmare. Straight away he was saying that it has to get repaired and checked out etc etc

Now, according to the law they can pretty much send it off and make you wait while hey decide if it's your fault.

However, I told the guy I wanted a refund and he said no way. What annoyed me was he wanted to exchange it for another one or get it repaired. Now this may seem fair to others .. but my opinion is that if a shop are offering an exchange then they should offer a refund (unless you've lost the receipt or something).

Otherwise they are just saying we'll give you a refund but only if you spend your money here.

Anyway, went up to 3G Mobile in St Stephens Shopping centre, showed her the fault and she didn't even ask me if I wanted another phone or exchange, she just popped the till and gave me a refund.

The thing is, your fault is not so obvious and you can't really show them .. it's a hard one to call. Maybe wait till it just won't charge at all .. or chance it by seeing what they say. You can always refuse the repair if they only offer that.

You might get lucky though and get a replacement model.

Thanks for the post, guess you're right. I'll try anyway and see what happens

Wouldn't be looking for a replacement or refund at all though, just a new battery really. I really like the phone(Battery life was one of the reasons i got it, 700hrs standby was claimed!) and mine in particular is perfect, except for the battery of course!

• Advertisement

Could be way off but I wouldn't say it's a battery problem. Sounds like a problem with the phone.

Try turning your phone off and charging it fully that way .. see if that makes a difference.

Advertisement