Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Does it say you're doing 1MB3 then? I just registered aswel and it must be the 6 year course cos im 0MB3....on the requirements for the 5 year course, you need HC3 in two of Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Physics/Chemistry and Agricultural Science...:confused:

Yeah, the website said I was in 1MB3 originally. I didn't realise that was the 5 year until after I'd registered.:rolleyes: A while later I checked again and it said that I'd "transferred" to 0MB3. I had to put in all my details again... According to my account, I owe around 200 euro that I didn't pay for registering in the 5 year (cos I used a Laser card) plus 1700 euro on the 6 year... :confused: I'll have to get the whole thing sorted out tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

All these colleges are so modern, I had to send in my registration by post

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Piste wrote: »
    Yeah, modern ways of funking up!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, I get the distinct impression that records offices in colleges spend as much time correcting errors / foul-ups as they ever did registering people manually!!

You really might be as well off!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Piste wrote: »

Having seen the confusion my friends have had over the past few days, I don't rate the UCD online system.. :pac:

Will you not do most of the registration in person in RCSI? I know I did.. only took 2 minutes aswell, was brilliant.. it was like.. form, picture, get student ID, get random free stuff, get laptop, bye! :D

The only thing I've had to do so far has been to fill in a form re my fees status and get RCSI to stamp something saying I did a year there.. now to send that in and get my painful bill from Trinity! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 catchifucan

Hey :D

Just wondering if anyone did the DCU or the Institute HPAT preparation courses this year? If so, were they any good? Or could anyone recommend another course? Thanks :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Just wondering if anyone did the DCU or the Institute HPAT preparation courses this year? If so, were they any good? Or could anyone recommend another course? Thanks :cool:

I did one in the Institute of Education and honestly, I didn't think it helped.Most of the material covered was common sense and didn't really help.They also went over test strategies but you should really just find what strategy suits you best on your own.I felt pretty stupid paying for a course on an aptitude test but my parents insisted :rolleyes:

The best advice I can give you is to get your hands on some sample HPAT tests early in the year so that you're comfortable with the question styles on the day. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

A guy in my year did one in Cork and one in the Tute.
    He did fairly crap in the HPAT regardless and didn't get Medicine, so there ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Ahh... Be careful if you're registering at NUIG online. I did earlier today and the website somehow accidentally registered me for the Five-Year course, and then I ended up registering again a while later for the Six-Year. Apparently I now owe the college over three grand in registration fees :rolleyes:

I'll have to ring tomorrow and sort the whole thing out.

Best of luck with that...

Ringing NUIG and trying to get through to someone useful is a terribly depressing experience tbh.

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Best of luck with that...

Ringing NUIG and trying to get through to someone useful is a terribly depressing experience tbh.

I got through...eventually... The people at NUIG are very courteous and helpful :) Well the online registration cock-up appears to have been sorted out now:D I'm now doing the 6 year course (as, technically, I should be) and I only have to pay one registration fee now!

Anyone else notice that one of our Pre-Med subjects is called "Engineering and Medicinal Chemistry"? :confused: I thought we'd just be doing pure Chem - then I'd have at least one subject I'd covered before:P I have to say, it does sound very interesting, though :D Can't wait to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ANTONEDEROAST

...........Back in bold but not always! (Promise E')

............Now, as the end is near of this subject (judging on recent interest!), may I ask a question before the final curtain, is there anyone out there, or a representative, with PRACTICAL experience that can pin their colours to the mast re the "HPAT" system ?

GOOD or BAD ? Pros and Cons ? Strengths and Weaknesses? .....Speak now or forever hold your p.........!

............People are hurt...........very hurt.........people are elated..........some are confused........put out........onlookers (like me) are confused.........is it good or is it bad?

There have been WINNERS and LOSERS.

I genuinely feel for both sides. I am yet to be convinced on the better way.

...........I am not sure if we have yet not had enough valued feedback from those in the know i.e. those practically qualified, with miles {KMs !} on the clock and surgery hours and lecture/tutorial times, consultancy terms and other associated vocations, etc, etc.

........A de R :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

...........Back in bold but not always! (Promise E')

............Now, as the end is near of this subject (judging on recent interest!), may I ask a question before the final curtain, is there anyone out there, or a representative, with PRACTICAL experience that can pin their colours to the mast re the "HPAT" system ?

GOOD or BAD ? Pros and Cons ? Strengths and Weaknesses? .....Speak now or forever hold your p.........!

............People are hurt...........very hurt.........people are elated..........some are confused........put out........onlookers (like me) are confused.........is it good or is it bad?

There have been WINNERS and LOSERS.

I genuinely feel for both sides. I am yet to be convinced on the better way.

...........I am not sure if we have yet not had enough valued feedback from those in the know i.e. those practically qualified, with miles {KMs !} on the clock and surgery hours and lecture/tutorial times, consultancy terms and other associated vocations, etc, etc.

........A de R :confused:

Theres a chat going on about all this over in the Bio + Med forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055658794

I think I'll finally register today :)

(I'm just shamlessly bumping this thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

Got a letter today offering me the 5 year course in NUIG instead of the 6 year course...hmmmmmm....not sure what to do :confused::(:confused:
    Reaaly after you had acepted the 6 year one?NUIG sure are a strange institution.

Haha yup :p Anything i'd gotten before this said that i'd been offered: GY501 medicine (5 year/6 year course).....and then when i registered, it said 0MB3, and gave the 6 year modules, which it still says on my form....but this letter gives me the choice to accept the 5 year or 6 year course, in writing to them, by the 14th.

Keep changing my mind every 5 minutes but i'd say ill end up sticking with premed...
    Really because I accepted 0mb3 as well but I didn't get any letter.I thought that you needed all 3 science subjects to do 5 year?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Really because I accepted 0mb3 as well but I didn't get any letter.I thought that you needed all 3 science subjects to do 5 year?
    Honours in two sciences, some colleges insist on chemistry, don't think Galway does.

Honours in two sciences, some colleges insist on chemistry, don't think Galway does.

No, chemistry isn't necessary for the five year course in NUIG (which is a tad bizarre in my opinion - it'd be an extremely difficult subject to pick up as you go along if you hadn't done it before but whatever:rolleyes:)

I'm really looking forward to doing pre med - I need a break after my LC year:P

Haha yup :p Anything i'd gotten before this said that i'd been offered: GY501 medicine (5 year/6 year course).....and then when i registered, it said 0MB3, and gave the 6 year modules, which it still says on my form....but this letter gives me the choice to accept the 5 year or 6 year course, in writing to them, by the 14th.

Keep changing my mind every 5 minutes but i'd say ill end up sticking with premed...

I also got said letter today ...

Hmmmmm, ah I'll probably just end up taking pre-med :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

So jealous. Really wish I'd chosen UCD or NUIG over TCD now.

I'm such a contrary bastard, got the course of my dreams and it's still not good enough :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sport

Medicine in Trinity has dropped to 726, will there be similar drops across the other universities.

http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/undergraduate/assets/pdfs/2009%20Minimum%20Entry%20Points%20Round%203.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Yeah, Trinners dropped to 726 which, conveniently enough for me, was exactly what I got!

Accepted my place there this morning.

What this means is there'll be Medicine 4th rounds, because I just gave up my place in UCD (And AFAIK I'm not the only one ;)) so anyone just under 720 who had UCD above Galway or RCSI or whatever is in with the chance of a place ;)

• Advertisement

Well done!
    Any idea what is going to happen with Galway, is it likely to drop a few points too? anyone.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭ThehPatroniser

I had UCD Medicine as my first choice and I was delighted to get it. Just when I was settling in I discovered an e-mail yesterday offering me entry to Ist Med i.e. skipping pre Med. Maybe I'm mad, but I've accepted it, as have a few others. I PRESUME THIS WILL FREE UP MORE SPACES IN PRE-MED SO I'M HOPEFUL FOR ALL OF YOU WHO MAY HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED. Best of luck.

The hPatroniser

I had UCD Medicine as my first choice and I was delighted to get it. Just when I was settling in I discovered an e-mail yesterday offering me entry to Ist Med i.e. skipping pre Med. Maybe I'm mad, but I've accepted it, as have a few others. I PRESUME THIS WILL FREE UP MORE SPACES IN PRE-MED SO I'M HOPEFUL FOR ALL OF YOU WHO MAY HAVE BEEN DISAPPOINTED. Best of luck.

The hPatroniser

I have a feeling, (though I'm not sure), that it doesn't affect CAO offers.... They still accept the same number of people, and some skip pre med( highest point and the matriculation) and others don't.....

Wouldn't be surprised to see NUIG drop a couple of points what with some people who were on higher points now getting other offers.

One week til we start in Galway guys! :)

Blur wrote: »
    Wouldn't be surprised to see NUIG drop a couple of points what with some people who were on higher points now getting other offers.

but why would you choose another university over NUIG?

but why would you choose another university over NUIG?

Hell knows!

It was my first choice :cool:

Blur wrote: »

One week til we start in Galway guys! :)

So people in Galway might get offers in Dublin then or something.. resulting in a drop then in galway.........

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

Funny enough,30 cosultants recently tried the hpat.I know this as my friends dad was one of them.Anyway,29 of them failed it!:pac:This included pediatricians,oncologists,oral surgeons etc and yet 29 of them didnt get over 120(40 %).This is a very strong indication that it cant examine who would be a good doctor as i know of few of these consultants and they are really nice people who love what they do.Made me laugh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Funny enough,30 cosultants recently tried the hpat.I know this as my friends dad was one of them.Anyway,29 of them failed it!:pac:This included pediatricians,oncologists,oral surgeons etc and yet 29 of them didnt get over 120(40 %).This is a very strong indication that it cant examine who would be a good doctor as i know of few of these consultants and they are really nice people who love what they do.Made me laugh:D

Bull****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

You can't fail an aptitude test :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement