Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

i did preparation courses but wasnt that impressed and dont think they helped!you might get maybe one more question right...the best prep was def the HPAT booklet IMO!!

anybody heading to UCC for medicine this year?apart from pharmer08 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I don't think the HPAT give's an accurate reflection of whether somebody would make a good doctor or not. It would be intersting to get some of the top consultants and surgeons to sit the HPAT and see how they get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Piste wrote: »
    I don't think the HPAT give's an accurate reflection of whether somebody would make a good doctor or not. It would be intersting to get some of the top consultants and surgeons to sit the HPAT and see how they get on.

Hmm. That's an interesting point! I definitely think Section 2 (ie. interpersonal reasoning etc) would give a good indication of whether a candidate would have a good bedside manner and an ability to work well with patients on an emotional level. Section 1 is probably a good indicator of one's ability to draw conclusions and make a diagnosis when presented with a large quantity of symptoms etc. It shows, to an extent, your ability to deduce conclusions and think in a logical manner. As for Section 3, well... I really have no idea what success in this area indicates. One's ability to spot and recognise patterns? Spatial awareness perhaps? :confused:

The HPAT's not perfect (in fact, it is rather flawed in many respects), but I definitely think it's MUCH fairer than the old system, where the ability to get A1s in subjects like English, Irish, languages, History, Geography, Business subjects etc would have guaranteed people a place. Getting a perfect LC doesn't necessarily indicate that someone will make a good doctor either. It shows that you've got intelligence, a willingness to work hard and apply yourself, and an ability to cope well under pressure... But you need more than that to be a good doctor.

(There are probably a fair few excellent surgeons around who wouldn't do so well in the HPAT though, I'm sure!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    anybody heading to UCC for medicine this year?apart from pharmer08 lol

Yep:), any idea what it's gonna be like, group sizes..that kind of thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lek

I just received my offer notice from CAO an on my offer letter at the top of the page under "your score" it reads 720, 899, 720. I think my combined score (hpat and maximum Swedish high school average) should be 728. Wondering if I am registered under the wrong score?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Lek wrote: »
    I just received my offer notice from CAO an on my offer letter at the top of the page under "your score" it reads 720, 899, 720. I think my combined score (hpat and maximum Swedish high school average) should be 728. Wondering if I am registered under the wrong score?

Under what institution is the 899 score? Is it the case that the CAO translates your swedish average or that each institution makes an estimate? I suspect it probably the latter and that's why you've got a few different scores... although I could be totally wrong...

You can contact them 00353 91 509800 but you'll have to wait until tomorrow because they closed 7 mins ago (17:15)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Interesting, but I was talking to one of the leading child oncologists in the country and she said the hpat is a great addition and that a majority of senior doctors in the country would not have got in if they had to do the leaving cert again. In the past money was an important factor in getting medicine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lek

Thanks for your reply! Trinity has 720, Dublin 899 and Galway 720. Cork and Royal College is just blank. Will contact them tomorrow. Feels a bit unfair that my max Swedish high school average might not be worth as much as a max leaving certificate, not counting Dublin... .) Do everyone else just have their hpat + leaving certificate score under "your score" on offer letter then?
    ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Under what institution is the 899 score? Is it the case that the CAO translates your swedish average or that each institution makes an estimate? I suspect it probably the latter and that's why you've got a few different scores... although I could be totally wrong...

You can contact them 00353 91 509800 but you'll have to wait until tomorrow because they closed 7 mins ago (17:15)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

I think the HPAT is fair enough...

like we have to learn to deal with change....the sylabusses for the subjects change all the time e.g single text in english, im sure like some of them are easier than others and sometimes questions are easier than others....points for courses change every year...u dont see the nursing people kicking up such a fuss...

everyone this year had to deal with the same changes, the same HPAT and the same leaving cert so IMO that defines fairness

to get a place in med this year people had to do better than average in the leaving AND better than average in the HPAT so it seems fair that those who did got into medicine cos they seem like the most well balanced students...

whenever change happens someone or some group have to be the guinea pigs, the first to try it out so i think our year just has to roll with the punches and get over it...

i dont mean to sound harsh it just seems to be that people are wallowing in self-pity and negative energy doesnt help any situation

thats just my 2 cents...feel free to disagree with like anything i think...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 reindeerarmy

the old system is flawed and continues to be flawed for other courses

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

drrkpd wrote: »
    What is true though is that the new system means that the proportion of first time LC getting medicine has gone uo a staggering amount- from 59% to 83%.
    I didn't know that. Tbh, I would see that as a positive thing ... seen so many people in the past killing themselves repeating their LC for 5 points for Med ... and sometimes to get the extra 5 points and still miss out!
    It would indeed, and I honestly can't comment on whether the HPAT is an especially good measure or not, I don't know enough about it.

Do you honestly think the LC only system gave an accurate reflection of whether somebody would make a good doctor or not, though?

Certainly, I never thought it did ... it indicated that people were academically bright and could work hard, certainly, but there is so much more than that needed to be a good doctor ... and indeed, so much more needed to even survive medical training.

I think one good indicator of whether the present system is better than the old one will be whether the drop-out rate falls or rises among the cohorts recruited this way.

Bazzo26 wrote: »
    Yep:), any idea what it's gonna be like, group sizes..that kind of thing
    well i knew the class last year and there were about 100 CAO applicants in it i think so im presuming roughly the same...id say they might have had maybe 4 groups then,im not sure!what county are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Id say the hpat will be axed after next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rgnmb

I doubt the HPAT will go. Aptitude tests for healthcare courses have been introduced in various forms in many other countries. It would have been a big investment on the state's part.

GAMSAT is here also, for graduate entry medical students. A far harsher exam, and that’s here to stay.

It will be like the smoking ban, accepted after some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

It angers me that all the people who missed out on medicine because of their HPAT scores are moaning about how ''People could just pay for HPAT grinds in order to do well.''
    I went to one of those ''grind'' courses and it was a huge waste of money and time.Everything explained to us was common sense and it offered no real help in getting a better score.

I do feel kind of sorry for people who got 600 points and still didn't get in because of their HPAT score but also can't really understand how people who are smart enough to get 600 could do so poorly in the HPAT - different types of intelligence I guess.

On a lighter note, anyone for a NUIG boardsie meet-up? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Blur wrote: »

On a lighter note, anyone for a NUIG boardsie meet-up? :)

Oh hell yes. :D Can't wait to start!:D

Should we go to orientation wearing our usernames on nametags? :P

1fahy4 wrote: »
    DOOOOOOO IIIIITTTT!!!!!11 :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Oh hell yes. :D Can't wait to start!:D

Oh man, that'd be epic :pac:

Orientation day would probably be the best day for the meet-up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

DOOOOOOO IIIIITTTT!!!!!11 :pac:

haha, well i do have an ancient man u shirt with cantona 7 on the back so if you see that come and say hi!!!:D

NUIG cuirt na coiribe anybody??

• Advertisement

cantona56 wrote: »
    haha, well i do have an ancient man u shirt with cantona 7 on the back so if you see that come and say hi!!!:D
    Well, the likelihood of me being around to see it would be fairly slight ... >_>

... and I certainly don't have a t-shirt with this nick on it, though it did get attached to me in Galway in the day (the nick, that is, before anyone gets smart! :P)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Is the 5 year course better than the 6 year course or the opposite? Say if you had done biology and chemistry in the leaving, is there any reason why you shold have any problems going into the 5 yr course? I know that the 1st year in the 6 yr course is premed,ut is there any point doing the 6 year course as you already had done chemistry and biology in the LC, two very vital subjects?

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Is the 5 year course better than the 6 year course or the opposite? Say if you had done biology and chemistry in the leaving, is there any reason why you shold have any problems going into the 5 yr course? I know that the 1st year in the 6 yr course is premed,ut is there any point doing the 6 year course as you already had done chemistry and biology in the LC, two very vital subjects?
    If you dig back, there was some discussion of this already on this thread, starting at post no. 243 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Duffman'05

Decent leaving cert score
    Below average HPAT

Very confident that you can work to at least 550 and so end up anywhere between 550-560 (Maybe 550-557 realistically:o)

Would've been ready and willing to repeat under the old system

BUT

Literally terrified by the prospect of knuckling down like hell from september to late january in school while preparing for HPAT on your own while all your mates are happy in college, getting through that 2.5 hours and not bottling it and somehow doing much better than you did last time, keeping confident that you still have hope no matter how horribly you felt the hpat went all the way - from mocks 2 weeks later to orals to LC, again tellling yourself that there's still hope (and HPAT could've gone horribly wrong!) - basically keeping your mental stability :/

Get the HPAT results 2 days after doing the LC for the 2nd time and realising you'd failed - hence mental breakdown of a life time:( because in the end none of the LC work mattered a damn because it all hindered on the HPAT... and to say you 'wasted' a year of your life would be putting it lightly..

So..yeh, erm, anyone?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I'm just wondering, if you have no physics whatsoever would 1st year med be difficult, considering premed is physics beyond the LC course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    Decent leaving cert score
    Below average HPAT

Very confident that you can work to at least 550 and so end up anywhere between 550-560 (Maybe 550-557 realistically:o)

Would've been ready and willing to repeat under the old system

BUT

Literally terrified by the prospect of knuckling down like hell from september to late january in school while preparing for HPAT on your own while all your mates are happy in college, getting through that 2.5 hours and not bottling it and somehow doing much better than you did last time, keeping confident that you still have hope no matter how horribly you felt the hpat went all the way - from mocks 2 weeks later to orals to LC, again tellling yourself that there's still hope (and HPAT could've gone horribly wrong!) - basically keeping your mental stability :/

Get the HPAT results 2 days after doing the LC for the 2nd time and realising you'd failed - hence mental breakdown of a life time:( because in the end none of the LC work mattered a damn because it all hindered on the HPAT... and to say you 'wasted' a year of your life would be putting it lightly..

So..yeh, erm, anyone?:confused:

If you really want it, dude, go for it. If it all goes wrong do a degree in something relevant. With your points you'll do really well in most degrees, so you'll fulfill the requirements for graduate entry. Then do that GAMSAT or whatever it's called when you're older and exams don't stress you.

Having another degree is quickly becoming the norm in medicine. I have a BSc as well as my medical degree, and it's actually a requirement for me to do a masters degree as well before I'm a consultant in my particular area. A degree will help your career.

So, don't stress. Easier said than done. I remember the hassle of being at your stage. BUt you have the potential to be very attractive to a medical faculty selection panel. So, if it doesn't work out, go and do pharmacy or physio or biomedical science of something like that. It'll take a bit longer, but you'll be very attractive to employers after you've finished med school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭cantona56

hey, dont mean to sound picky here or anything, im absolutely thrilled to get med in NUIG. Just wondering though does anyone think points for UCD could drop from 720 to 713. Im just wondering this as i have to fork out a pretty hefty deposit for accom in galway (900) and will loose half if i cancel!

I personally dont think this is a possibility and if points drop at all i would expect maybe by one or two at the most. Also RCSI/UCC ppl with 715 points would soak up any free places in UCD! My parents want me to wait. They read somewhere that if you're off by 5/10 points then you shouldnt give up. They are leaving it up to me and im going to go for it but at the same time i dont want to screw this up!!

Thanks for your help!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

cantona56 wrote: »
    hey, dont mean to sound picky here or anything, im absolutely thrilled to get med in NUIG. Just wondering though does anyone think points for UCD could drop from 720 to 713. Im just wondering this as i have to fork out a pretty hefty deposit for accom in galway (900) and will loose half if i cancel!

I personally dont think this is a possibility and if points drop at all i would expect maybe by one or two at the most. Also RCSI/UCC ppl with 715 points would soak up any free places in UCD! My parents want me to wait. They read somewhere that if you're off by 5/10 points then you shouldnt give up. They are leaving it up to me and im going to go for it but at the same time i dont want to screw this up!!

Thanks for your help!:D

Honestly, I doubt UCD's going to drop by 7 points. That's a lot like. In terms of the LC over 550 points, that's 35 points.
    I think it might drop by one or two (I've my fingers crossed it'll drop to 718 at least, because I know Piste's hoping for it) but if it dropped anywhere near 713 I'd be really quite shocked.
    You might get UCC or RCSI on second rounds though, perhaps...

I was hoping Trinity would drop to 726, but yeah, that's the same as it going down 15 points which is an awful awful lot. I'm pretty happy with UCD anyway... (Even though I have NOWHERE TO LIVE, AGHHHHHH! :mad:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I'm just wondering, if you have no physics whatsoever would 1st year med be difficult, considering premed is physics beyond the LC course?
    Nope, you should have no problem tbh. Any physics you would need for Physiology and the like is extremely basic and they go through it pretty thoroughly.
    Xtina!! wrote: »
    In my opinion, you should only do premed if you would like a nice year to relax and do all the things that you may not be entirely able to do during the rest of the course because of study commitments etc.

Regards doing it because you didn't do physics ie. because you think you might be at a disadvantage, then no I'd say that should not be the sole reason for doing it, you would be grand in the 5-year course imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    Nope, you should have no problem tbh. Any physics you would need for Physiology and the like is extremely basic and they go through it pretty thoroughly.

In my opinion, you should only do premed if you would like a nice year to relax and do all the things that you may not be entirely able to do during the rest of the course because of study commitments etc.

Regards doing it because you didn't do physics ie. because you think you might be at a disadvantage, then no I'd say that should not be the sole reason for doing it, you would be grand in the 5-year course imo.

Thanks!!! Thats cleared things up for me. Can I ask what univesity did you study medicine in and would you recommend it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement