Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HPAT Vs The Leaving Cert. Posts moved from LC results thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

bleg wrote: »

Interesting article - given that I'm not in the field of medicine, do other posters think that the aptitude test is a good thing?

TBH - I'd like to have a doctor that did honours maths - it does show a bit more logical thought or do others think that I am being a bit elitist here?

I should add that when I did my Leaving Cert in 1996, one of my neighbours got medicine and she is straight out one of the dumbest people I've ever met. Points are in no way an indication of someone's ability. But on the other hand, I know people who got great Leavings and were going to make great doctors too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Ah you're always going to have these sob stories. I do feel sorry for her to be honest. However if you don't make the cut you don't make the cut. Tough luck. There are thousands more who didn't get medicine who also won't get their 2nd, 3rd or 4th choices.

Imagine how ecstatic the person that got 530 points and got accepted is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I agree with you, dudara, to an extent. I think there's a cutoff. I didn't do honours maths, but I get by.

Having said that, the real brainiacs at med school do make the best docs by and large.

The guy who won the gold medal in my year is phenomenal. I've worked with him and he blew everyone out of the water. I worked with another guy who won the gold at oxford. Again, far and away better than the rest of us. I could go on.

People say stuff like "they have no personality" etc, to make themselves feel better, which is just not true. These super clever guys have the same distribution of nice behaviour as the rest of us.

The guy who cardioverted me last week is a super brainy mofo. Total egghead. When yo're lying there about to have 120 joules of electricity pumped through your chest, you want a brainy fecker doing it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'm actually really happy the HPAT's in place as well. Although I did a fair bit of complaining about it.
    Don't think I'd have gotten Medicine without it at'all.
    Got 550 last year and only increased to 565 this year, so I'd never have gotten UCD with either of those...

That girl's story is pretty bad tbh, she obviously worked really hard for Medicine. There's always repeating the HPAT though...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hate the HPAT, the only difference it made to me getting medicine is that I got my 3rd choice of college. Without the HPAT I could have done any med course I wanted, so I just thought it was restricting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'm actually really happy the HPAT's in place as well. Although I did a fair bit of complaining about it.
    Don't think I'd have gotten Medicine without it at'all.
    Got 550 last year and only increased to 565 this year, so I'd never have gotten UCD with either of those...

That girl's story is pretty bad tbh, she obviously worked really hard for Medicine. There's always repeating the HPAT though...

Have we got any evidence the HPAT produces the type of docs they say it does?

I think the profession is shooting itself in the foot big time by not letting in students with 600 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

"I think HPAT is a bit unfair. I just don't think it is a good assessment of what a good doctor you are going to be." But if you get 600 points in the leaving should you not then get a good result in the HPAT or was she like one of many who just learn off essays etc. ?

I still believe it should all be done like in the UK with personal statements and work experience etc.

Why did they decide to bring the HPAT in here anyway? Uni of Ulster uses it but no other UK college.

I got into Physio this year after years of wanting to do it and getting rejected last year. I cried and then danced around like a loon. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Larianne wrote: »
    I still believe it should all be done like in the UK with personal statements and work experience etc.

+1.

As far as I'm concerned there are always going to be people who feel hard done by the system, it's impossible to set it up so that everyone is happy.

I really have very mixed opinions on the entire situation, I initially thought the HPAT was a terrible idea, but now seeing that it actually works (ie. students getting in with 500-550 scores) I'm beginning to think it's not as half-cooked an idea as it initially seemed.

Congrats to everyone on getting med btw!
    A long and arduous road lies before you all :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Why did they decide to bring the HPAT in here anyway? Uni of Ulster uses it but no other UK college.

Not sure if the UK have it right either, considering the recent report on how access to professions like medicine is becoming the preserve of the wealthy.

Interviews would lead to favouritism for people from certain schools, kids of docs, etc. etc. and work experience would be more easily accessible to these people too.

At least with an exam, you get what you get based on your ability and nothing else. Except for the grind schools and study courses which do help those with more money to spend on their kids education. :)

HPAT tests aspect of students intelligence not examined in the leaving cert so it can only help get more rounded individuals into the profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Piste wrote: »
    I hate the HPAT, the only difference it made to me getting medicine is that I got my 3rd choice of college. Without the HPAT I could have done any med course I wanted, so I just thought it was restricting.

Surely that was the intention of the system ,no? The HPAT, to me, seems designed to recognise those of considerable intelligence, unlike the Leaving Cert which tends to favour the more studious, diligent students. As tallaght01 already pointed out, I'd prefer to have my welfare in the hands of someone who outperformed most of the country of an intelligence test than one who simply recited their learning verbatim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

"I think HPAT is a bit unfair. I just don't think it is a good assessment of what a good doctor you are going to be." But if you get 600 points in the leaving should you not then get a good result in the HPAT or was she like one of many who just learn off essays etc. ?

That would be ideal, but Ireland is too small! There would always be that element of nepotism without a completely anonymous application process.

The HPAT isn't perfect, but I think it's a step in the right direction. It'll hopefully stop people trying to beat the system, like the girl in the Times article above, who changed subjects to ones where high points are easier to get and avoided harder ones like higher level maths which might actually be useful for medicine. It might also reduce the effectiveness of the "grind-school" type teaching and make it fairer on those who cannot afford or live too far from such schools.

While I feel sorry for her that she didn't get in (I was in that position myself in 2002!), if she really wants to do it there are other ways.

BTW, congratulations to all those who got offers today! I'll be seeing some of you in RCSI very soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Sweet wrote: »
    Surely that was the intention of the system ,no? The HPAT, to me, seems designed to recognise those of considerable intelligence, unlike the Leaving Cert which tends to favour the more studious, diligent students. As tallaght01 already pointed out, I'd prefer to have my welfare in the hands of someone who outperformed most of the country of an intelligence test than one who simply recited their learning verbatim.

While admittedly I know nothing of how the HPAT works, is an exam in which all LC students participate a better indicator of who the most intelligent/studious/academic people in the country are versus an exam taken only by those who want to do medicine?

If both are marked 'on the curve', then the one with most participants may be the better test, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I've been saying this for years to my family/friends. Somebody can go in and do the harder subjects such as maths and chemistry and get the minimum requirements one year. Then the next year they go back and do easier subjects such as Ag Science, Biology, Home Ec, Geography and History helping them to get higher points. It's a joke. You should have to get the minimum requirements and the number of points in the same year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Have we got any evidence the HPAT produces the type of docs they say it does?

Someone on boards (traumadoc?) suggested that the only reason it was introduced reduce the ratio of F:M. I was a little skeptical at first but then I read a quote in the papers from someone involved in establishing HPAT in Ireland and they more or less said just that! Of course, they will couch it in pleasing BS about 'leveling the playing field' etc. etc.

So, my question (and Tallaght01's!) is: are there more men getting in under the new system??

EDIT:
    This year, 48pc of CAO offers for medicine are going to male students -- up from 40pc last year -- with a corresponding drop from 60pc to 52pc in the proportion of offers for females.

The answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd prefer to have my welfare in the hands of someone who outperformed most of the country of an intelligence test than one who simply recited their learning verbatim.

Was discussing this point with someone last night. While I do broadly think that the HPAT is a good idea, he came up with the point that a 600 point student is clearly used to methodical study which can only be a good thing when studying medicine.

It will be interesting to see how the standard of graduates changes (or doesn't change) following this.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

tallaght01 wrote: »
    The guy who cardioverted me last week is a super brainy mofo. Total egghead. When yo're lying there about to have 120 joules of electricity pumped through your chest, you want a brainy fecker doing it :P

Exactly! It's always reassuring when someone smarter than you is taking care of you medically which of course becomes more of a problem the more intelligent you are... :p

As tallaght01 already pointed out, I'd prefer to have my welfare in the hands of someone who outperformed most of the country of an intelligence test than one who simply recited their learning verbatim.

You'll find that many people who are well above average intelligence don't like to equate very high LC scores with intelligence. Then that could be because for many of us our chosen course didn't require them. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭rois!

Like its 2 different kinds of intelligent so surely its better for like people who are better than average at both to get in thats why i thin the HPAT is like a good idea...cos u needed to be better than like the average person in aptitude and u still ended up needing to be better than the average leaving cert results....and as for like seeming dumb well thats irrelevant i think...my friends all think im the biggest bimbo in the world just cos i sometimes say dumb stuff wihout like thinkin before hand but like im hoping 5 yrs of med school will get people to change their minds bout my dumbness....

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

rois! wrote: »
    Like its 2 different kinds of intelligent so surely its better for like people who are better than average at both to get in thats why i thin the HPAT is like a good idea...cos u needed to be better than like the average person in aptitude and u still ended up needing to be better than the average leaving cert results....and as for like seeming dumb well thats irrelevant i think...my friends all think im the biggest bimbo in the world just cos i sometimes say dumb stuff wihout like thinkin before hand but like im hoping 5 yrs of med school will get people to change their minds bout my dumbness....

Like, for sure.:pac:

Svalbard wrote: »
    Like, for sure.:pac:

yay, finally someone who like agrees with me!

• Advertisement

yay, finally someone who like agrees with me!

6 years from now...

"You've got cancer, like boy but don't stress cause we can sort you out like with some chemo!"

:pac:

im a girl not a boy...and why do i have cancer?

im confused...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

im a girl not a boy...and why do i have cancer?

im confused...

He wasn't saying that you have/will get cancer. Just extrapolating (in a joking way) how your post made it sound you'd break the news.

He wasn't saying that you have/will get cancer. Just extrapolating (in a joking way) how your post made it sound you'd break the news.

oh...i dont understand extraplolating....

but i never say boy....does he think im from like cork?!?!

im hoping 5 yrs of med school will get people to change their minds bout my dumbness....

I would think it more important that 5 years of medschool would change your behaviour and not other's understanding of it.

I don't mean to be rude, but obviously patients are very very vulnerable people. You won't be able to say anything without thinking. You could do a lot of damage like that.

So I'd hope that 5 years of medschool will change that about you (and I hope for the sake of any patients, that you don't learn it the hard way).

oh...i dont understand extraplolating....

but i never say boy....does he think im from like cork?!?!

You use "like" a lot. It's a very Cork thing. I wouldn't be offended. Ireland is Ireland after all.

Extrapolate: To infer or estimate by extending or projecting known information.

I would think it more important that 5 years of medschool would change your behaviour and not other's understanding of it.

I don't mean to be rude, but obviously patients are very very vulnerable people. You won't be able to say anything without thinking. You could do a lot of damage like that.

So I'd hope that 5 years of medschool will change that about you (and I hope for the sake of any patients, that you don't learn it the hard way).

well when i say i say dumb things wihtout thinking i mean like saying things like u can drive to england and navan's a county and wasps are just baby bees and stallions are male dogs...i doubt that'll come up in like conversation with my patients....

You use "like" a lot. It's a very Cork thing. I wouldn't be offended. Ireland is Ireland after all.

Extrapolate: To infer or estimate by extending or projecting known information.

oooh u like learn something new every day!! i never really noticed how often i use the word like.....? jeesh it must be bad if im actually typing it....

well when i say i say dumb things wihtout thinking i mean like saying things like u can drive to england and navan's a county and wasps are just baby bees and stallions are male dogs...i doubt that'll come up in like conversation with my patients....

Even if it did, it wouldn't matter.

You just reminded me of someone with the worst bedside manner possible. As in completely tactless. I think that no matter what the news, getting it from her could make it so much worse.

But you're unlikely to be so disrespectful in front of patient as everything you'd need to say would be context driven.

So keep, saying the silly things (even in front of patients*, it'll probably bring a smile to their faces :)), just keep the medical matters serious and all will be well.

*=but only to a certain extent

• Advertisement

oooh u like learn something new every day!! i never really noticed how often i use the word like.....? jeesh it must be bad if im actually typing it....

It's grand really.

But when you arrive on the wards, I'd lose it quickly.

Even though I'm not even a clinical student yet, I have had a doctor tell me to stop saying it. (I had only used it once :o).

Advertisement