Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

I think that luck playsa much bigger part in the hpat though.Just 4 or 5 questions could make all the difference since there are only 110 questions and such a narrow range.At least in the LC you can't really get a question right by a complete guess,whereas in the hpat,you can.i think the the Hpat should be made much longer and include more questions to reduce the effects of guesswork.

yeah luck plays a part in both...but it always will whatever they introduce..even if there were interviews etc...what suits one will not suit all!

fair point with regards extending the hpat too....it would probably help reduce the luck factor!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ANTONEDEROAST

dobh wrote: »
    I am new to posting so I may be in the wrong place for this question. The only way I could see to " get in " was via a reply so I apologise now if this is not a good plan.

Anyway my question is, does anybody know the scores for the percentiles in the hpat. eg what score is the 60th percentile, or 55th or any other one for that matter. Just curious.

I dont know if there is any place to find out this information.

Thank you.

....I am also new to posting. However, I can and appreciate its merits and strengths. Re your question, perhaps those with definitive "percentiles and placings" could post results, if applicable. These could be tabulated or graphed/charted to assist those with genuine interest in this rather complex and grey subject. A pattern should emerge and assist and clarify matters for those in the dark.

..........Obviously this matter only relates to those who are interested in the subject. I am not involved directly but am genuinely intrigued and absorbed in it all!..................A de R....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

160 was the 60th percentile.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

166 was 76th percentile - that is a big jump if 160, as above, was 60th percentile.

i also heard that there was a huge group gathered at the 57-62 percentile...the LC points decided those places..you basically had to get 600 if you were in that hpat range...i know of one guy who got 600 and 57th percentile+just got in right on the points!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

I think that luck playsa much bigger part in the hpat though.Just 4 or 5 questions could make all the difference since there are only 110 questions and such a narrow range.At least in the LC you can't really get a question right by a complete guess,whereas in the hpat,you can.i think the the Hpat should be made much longer and include more questions to reduce the effects of guesswork.

I was reading down the posts and was about to comment about the luckiness of the hpat! You beat me to it!:pac: You could be just be an ordinary joe soap on the street with a bit of common sense and good thinking and get a high score regardless of the lc.

JSK 252 wrote: »
    I was reading down the posts and was about to comment about the luckiness of the hpat! You beat me to it!:pac: You could be just be an ordinary joe soap on the street with a bit of common sense and good thinking and get a high score regardless of the lc.

but the hpat alone wont get you in...you still have to perform very well in the LC..say 540 with 6 A2s..that student deserves a shot...they might have gotten 89% in every subject!

look at the student who got 230 in the hpat..and didnt get med cos they only got 470 in the LC...u get caught out if you arent all round...in both cases!

anyway you dont have to do THAT fantastic in the hpat if you do great in the leaving....they accepted as far down as the 57th percentile...thats being alot more lenient than say...580 in the old days!

UCCmed09 wrote: »
    but the hpat alone wont get you in...you still have to perform very well in the LC..say 540 with 6 A2s..that student deserves a shot...they might have gotten 89% in every subject!

look at the student who got 230 in the hpat..and didnt get med cos they only got 470 in the LC...u get caught out if you arent all round...in both cases!

anyway you dont have to do THAT fantastic in the hpat if you do great in the leaving....they accepted as far down as the 57th percentile...thats being alot more lenient than say...580 in the old days!

When I was referring regardless of the lc I meant lc coursework has nothing to do with the hpat!:pac:

When I was referring regardless of the lc I meant lc coursework has nothing to do with the hpat!:pac:

fair enough so haha...but at the end of the day who cares if someone gets a higher score than they deserve in the hpat...they'll have to back it up in the LC or its no good to them!

fair enough so haha...but at the end of the day who cares if someone gets a higher score than they deserve in the hpat...they'll have to back it up in the LC or its no good to them!

True.

Im a pharmer anyway so I didnt have to do the hpat anyway.:pac:

• Advertisement

True.

Im a pharmer anyway so I didnt have to do the hpat anyway.:pac:

you're just heading into 1st yr?have fun haha....i WAS a ucc pharmer last year lol....ucc or tcd?

........A de R here! This UCCmed09 girl is going places!
    ........You're making a lot of sense to me and clearly you're focussed! Watch out Mr Mortell! Well done.

Enough on that..........Sincerest condolences to those who lost out, irrespective of L.C. or HPAT. I'm only the hurler on the ditch, observing and listening and trying to assist if that's possible.

..........A de R........

you're just heading into 1st yr?have fun haha....i WAS a ucc pharmer last year lol....ucc or tcd?

UCC! Yup 580 points.:pac: Im from Cork myself just outside the city so it made sense. My sis is a graduate of trinity though when there was only one school.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

187 was the 94th percentile.

A Neurotic wrote: »
    187 was the 94th percentile.

impressive TCD;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I think the most important skill a young potential doctor can show is a good work ethic, and ability to achieve a difficult goal that they've set for themselves.

Medical school will be like the leaving cert. The course material isn't complex enough that someone with a very good leaving cert couldn't cope. BUt there is shed loads of information to learn over a long period of time. Your recall needs to be good (sleep deprived at 4am you need to be able to recall all the causes of a low pulse rate there and then).
    Would fully agree with you on all of that.

Btw, as Tallaght knows, but just for the benefit of others who may be following the discussion, I'm not a doctor, nor did I ever study (nor have any interest in studying) medicine.

My interest in all this (and what limited understanding I have of it) comes I suppose from two sources:
    (a) as an educator myself
    (b) as someone who shared a house with 5 med students all through college. Add to that the fact that most people were in apartments or whatever, that our place was big (albeit old and cold and draughty) and it therefore became the social / community centre for their whole year, and indeed at times those from classes above and below them. I therefore got to know a lot of med students and even some of the teaching staff very well, and some of them are still close friends.

Equally, I should note that Tallaght IS a doctor, and a consultant in fact.
    I think once you're getting over 550 points there's not much difference between the candidates. So, if someone with 550 way outscored someone with 600 points on the HPAT then I'd probably be OK with that.
    That seems to be HPAT's thinking as well ... given that those with 550-600 LC points are adjusted and capped at 560 (btw, I actually think that's too much of an adjustment, so I would be kind of agreeing with you there).
    HPAT success shows that you're good at the HPAT. It's not some holy grail. It's never been shown to have any correlation with med school success.
    Now, you see, that's the bit that worries me.

As I keep saying on this thread, I don't know enough about HPAT to have an informed opinion as to whether it's a helpful addition to the recruitment system or not.

Given that it's been imported from Oz, and that you've been working there for a few years now, and presumably have some sense of their longer experience with it there, I can't say it fills me with confidence to hear you say that.

The things it's supposed to measure ...
    (i) Logical Reasoning and Problem Solving
    (ii) Interpersonal Understanding
    (iii) Non-Verbal Reasoning

... I think are useful to measure and take note of, if it in fact measures them. If it doesn't, then it's just an extra layer and extra stress on the candidates.

Personally, the kinds of things I would like to see included in the equation are:

Logical and deductive reasoning / problem solving / analytical skills

It could be argued that these are assessed by the LC, and maybe to some extent they are, but I wouldn't feel that it assesses them all that well, and I'd be inclined to argue that it does so rather less than it used to (and that's from someone who has corrected LC Hons).

I don't think that's deliberate policy on the part of DES or the SEC, btw. The way people tackle the LC seems to have changed over the years, probably under the influence of grind school culture permeating into the broader populace. It was always heavily dependent on memory, but now memorisation seems to have taken over as the primary and almost the only approach to LC, esp. in areas like English, History, Geography, Irish, etc.

I couldn't count the number of comments I've seen in this forum about how someone "has an essay memorised on X" and is hoping that it will come up, or bemoaning the fact that it didn't, or saying that they had to "make it fit the question". And it reflects what I've seen recently in RL as well.

That isn't how I tackled my LC certainly, or any of my immediate peer-group, and we all did damn well. How many essays did you learn off, Tallaght?

I didn't have one essay memorised, or even one paragraph tbh. We studied the course material, certainly, and made sure we knew it, and we learned off things like quotes for English, and formulae for maths, and so on, but we relied far more on our ability to use what we knew to formulate appropriate answers to the questions on the day, rather that going in with ready-made essays, and panicing if we couldn't fit them in.

I presume some people still do it that way, and that they do well ... but the rote learning route seems to be taking over.

And while I fully agree with Tallaght that a good memory is essential to a doctor ... far more so than most professions, in fact, as an engineer (for example) will normally have plenty of time to pull down a book or check something on the internet if it has slipped his mind, a luxury not normally accorded to a doctor faced with a patient who has gone into arrest.

But being able to use the information committed to memory, and make a good call based on that information, is also essential.

Or have I been watching too much House?! :pac:

People skills / empathy

I presume this is what HPAT mean by interpersonal understanding?

I'm also wary of using the word "empathy", because I suspect that Tallaght will jump in and tell me that doctors who have too high a level of empathy, and become too personally invested in their patients, are likely to become very emotionally stressed and burn out quickly ... and I wouldn't disagree.

Some is necessary though.

And no, I am NOT suggesting that all "clever people have no social skills", not by a long shot. I'll address that point later.

Btw, I would also note that this is not as easy a thing to assess as some people might think.

Reasons for choosing to do medicine

It's not so much that I think there is a "right" reason to do medicine, as that I believe that there are at least two wrong reasons for doing it, at least if either of these is the sole or predominant reason.

One is the status / income reason. Nothing wrong with a potential doctor liking the fact that (eventually) their chosen profession, if s/he works hard and is good enough, is likely to bring her / him a good income, respect and status.

The odd time though (I don't actually think it's all that common) you will meet a person who seems to have that as the predominant reason for their choice. That worries me, both for future patients but also for the individual him / herself. Medicine is hard graft, and heavy on the miracle at an emotional level, and I think you need a lot more than that to carry you through, at least if you are to survive as a caring and a fully whole individual.

The second reason that would worry me (again if it's the sole or primary reason) is the family tradition reason.

I'm thinking of the children of doctors who grow up under pressure from parents to follow in their footsteps, or who themselves feel, even sometimes sub-consciously, that they are obligated to follow that path.

Again, we're talking a small number of people, and I would add two caveats:
    (a) the children of doctors are probably in a better position than most to understand what is involved, and to make an informed decision, provided they don't allow themselves to be blinkered or blinker themselves. Many children of doctors do follow in their parents' footsteps; for most, it's a good decision. Not for all.
    (b) While some doctors dream of their children following in their footsteps, there are probably as many who would actively discourage their kids, as well as many others who support their children to make their own choices without pushing either a pro- or anti- agenda.

Those are the kind of things I would like to see taken into account in terms of recruitment for medicine, and given more emphasis than they have been given in the past.

Is that an easy "ask"? No, not really. For one thing, it's a lot easier and more transparent to rely on something like LC points. For another, any attempt to assess those factors well would probably be costly in resources (human as well as financial). Some at least of those factors are not that easy to test validly, reliably, objectively and transparently. Personally, I've seen some much-lauded "testing instruments" which I wouldn't trust to reliably assess which side I dressed on!

Does the HPAT reliably assess any or all of the above? Well, it certainly doesn't assess the third factor I mentioned ... the reason(s) people are choosing to take up medicine. The others? I honestly have no idea.
    I don't think it will give us a generation of docs with better interpersonal skills. That side of things is generally a myth. Doctors consistently come out on the top of polls asking which professions people trust most.
    True. But I will trust a capable doctor who obviously knows what they're doing, even if their interpersonal skills are poor. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer not to get a long-suffering sigh or a glare when I ask them to explain to me what exactly is wrong / what exactly the treatment will do. And yes, it has happened to me personally ... not often, but it has.

Plus I think we are trained to trust doctors as children by our parents ... naturally enough, if you think about it ... and that stays with us into adult life very often, unless something happens to disrupt it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, btw.
    A medical school class of high achievers has roughly the same proportion of dickheads as I met in the general population before going to uni.
    :D

I'd agree with that.
    Talk of clever people having no social skills is a myth ...
    Woah back, now!

I never made any such sweeping statement!

Nor do I agree with it, either for clever people who become doctors or clever people who don't!

Certainly, just to go back to the medical students who I mentioned earlier in this post and who I knew well, it certainly wasn't true for the vast majority of them. For the most part, they were a very sociable bunch, who worked hard and, when they had the opportunity, played twice as hard.

But I also knew a few, a small minority, whose social and inter-personal skills were very poor. Give them a textbook, put them in a lab, they were grand. But ... ! It's probably true for the sciences generally, tbh, but I think it's more of a handicap for a doctor who must deal with patients. Unless and until they end up in pure research, they are fighting an uphill battle. Certainly, a couple of those I knew who fit that profile didn't make it that far, having washed out either as advanced students or as HO's.
    ... largely perpetuated by people who aren't clever to make themselves feel better.
    Thanks!! :(
    It's also a result of some of these kids having locked themselves away for their teenage years studying.
    I agree with you there, actually ... plus add in the usual reaction from peers to those whom they perceive as "swots".
    But medicine is about working hard consistently, and remembering a LOT of stuff. The best consultants tend to be the cleverest ones. Medicine has always attracted some seriously bright people, and this is for the good of the patients. I have no real problem with HPAT. But I do think there needs to be a rejig of it's weighted value when kids who work solidly for several years (at an age where it's easy to get sidetracked) and get results in the top 0.1% in the country can't get a place on a medicine course, but could easily go and do other health related courses with their results.
    I think we've looked at most of those points further up, n'est pas?

Oh jeebus, what a long post!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Oh jeebus, what a long post!! :o

Defendant: tallaght01
    Judge: randylonghorn
    Sentence: Death by wall of text. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dobh

I have taken a note of approx 30 scores and percentiles. Is anybody out there interested in them if i submit them, or am i on my own here ?

I dont want to bore everybody to death about this .....

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

I have taken a note of approx 30 scores and percentiles. Is anybody out there interested in them if i submit them, or am i on my own here ?

Fire away, I was planing on doing this a while agi but never got around to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Haha, ive been doing that aswel for the last hour cos im so bored at work! You can put them up if you want and if i've any more ill add them! :)

EDIT: Meh, still bored, so here goes....this is what i've got from peoples posts on boards

Percentiles: Scores:
    99 ~202
    98 198
    96 191/192/193
    94 187/188
    93 185/186
    92 183/184
    91 182
    89 179
    88 178
    87 177
    86 176
    84 173
    82 171
    81 170
    76 166
    73 164
    72 163
    71 162
    69/70 161
    60 160
    55 153
    49 150
    44 147
    38 144
    34 141
    23 133

• Advertisement

Haha, ive been doing that aswel for the last hour cos im so bored at work! You can put them up if you want and if i've any more ill add them! :)

EDIT: Meh, still bored, so here goes....this is what i've got from peoples posts on boards

Percentiles: Scores:
    99 ~202
    98 198
    96 191/192/193
    94 187/188
    93 185/186
    92 183/184
    91 182
    89 179
    88 178
    87 177
    86 176
    84 173
    82 171
    81 170
    73 164
    72 163
    71 162
    69/70 161
    55 153
    49 150
    44 147
    38 144
    34 141
    23 133

The following may be added (from recent posts):

100 230
    76 166

............and 60 160 which looks odd to me!

..............Ade R.........:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

Yeah, I don't think there is a 100th percentile.

Not certain though..

Hmm, that is a bit odd, ya :confused:

Not sure about the 100...i dont think a 100th percentile exists? 99th percentile would cover pretty much everyone >200

......Mea Culpa on the top percentile!

......Well done and keep up the good work.

.........A de R......

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

181 is the 90th%ile

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Piste wrote: »
    160 was the 60th percentile.

Don't wish to correct a moderator but I think 160 is around 67/68 th percentile.
    159 is 66th and 161 is 69th so must be between them

150 is 50 th and near that mark I suspect could be only 0.5 marks between centiles so 150 could be 50th and 51st etc.

201 and above is 99th percentile.(100th percentile does NOT exist-see locked HPAT thread)

Lowest LC points reported successful 520 so they must be have got at least 193 points (96th percentile) taking NUIG total of 713.

Lowest HPAT score was 153 points (55th percentile) with 560 LC points (600 LC) see Post by Cantona- heading to Galway!!

Highest reported HPAT to get into medicine was in fact 225 so the person who got the highest HPAT points of 230 did NOT get into medicine and that has been confirmed on previous post

So, many different ways to get into medicine now!!!

Blur wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think there is a 100th percentile.

Not certain though..

yeah percentile scores never have a 100th percentile so i dont see why the hpat would....it only applys to one person in the country anyway that did better than everyone else and i think that person is just told 99 too

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

As far as I know, the information wasn't, nor will it be, released to the public.

Well because of boards.ie the information is in the public domain!!! Otherwise we would never know!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Defendant: tallaght01
    Judge: randylonghorn
    Sentence: Death by wall of text. :D
    Shaddap you!! :pac: :D

And I'm certainly not the judge in this case! If you must dump us into an adversarial set-up (and I don't see it that way) then advocates arguing a case would be nearer the mark ... :p
    drrkpd wrote: »
    Well because of boards.ie the information is in the public domain!!!
    Far from the first time Boards has fulfilled that function, and I'm sure it won't be the last ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 killen_machine

howdy..i got 600 points through alevels in the north with a score of 171 in the hpat, but ive had no word yet..waitin on 2nd round offers
    i should get in with that right? or should i phone up ucd admissions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

howdy..i got 600 points through alevels in the north with a score of 171 in the hpat, but ive had no word yet..waitin on 2nd round offers
    i should get in with that right? or should i phone up ucd admissions?

That should be more than enough for UCD.Not quite sure if it works exactly the same way but: 560(600 from A levels) and 171 in the HPAT should give you 731 which is enough for UCD by around 10 points I think.

Congrats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement