Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVERYTHING about HPAT and getting medicine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Note you are online now-was I right??
    You quoted 160 points as 60th centile
    drrkpd wrote: »
    Don't wish to correct a moderator but I think 160 is around 67/68 th percentile.
    159 is 66th and 161 is 69th so must be between them

150 is 50 th and near that mark I suspect could be only 0.5 marks between centiles so 150 could be 50th and 51st etc.

201 and above is 99th percentile.(100th percentile apparently does exist-see later posts)

Lowest LC points reported successful 520 so they must be have got at least 193 points (96th percentile) taking NUIG total of 713.

Lowest HPAT score was 153 points (55th percentile) with 560 LC points (600 LC) see Post by Cantona- heading to Galway!!

Highest reported HPAT to get into medicine was in fact 225 so the person who got the highest HPAT points of 230 did NOT get into medicine and that has been confirmed on previous post

So, many different ways to get into medicine now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Is the HPAT marked in Ireland or Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ANTONEDEROAST

Piste wrote: »
    160 was the 60th percentile.

It appears from collated information that 160 should be approx 67/68 th percentile.

Perhaps there was a knock on somewhere.

Well done to all contributors in assisting with data presentation. I think it will be helpful to some in trying to comprehend certain elements of the system.

There is still some room at the inn for a few more markings to fill in the blankety blanks!

.........A de R.......:confused:

Note you are online now-was I right??
    You quoted 160 points as 60th centile

;) To Whom It May Concern (not putting anyone down) the 100th Percentile does exist!

............A de R..........

;) To Whom It May Concern (not putting anyone down) the 100th Percentile does exist!

Had this argument before-see locked HPAT thread and the statisticians said NO!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

This is what wikipedia has to say on the matter :rolleyes:

"There is no 100th Percentile because no score can be lower than itself. Even a Perfect score would be spoken of in the 99th percentile because 99 percent of the scores of people taking the test would be lower than the perfect score."

1fahy4 wrote: »
    This is what wikipedia has to say on the matter :rolleyes:

"There is no 100th Percentile because no score can be lower than itself. Even a Perfect score would be spoken of in the 99th percentile because 99 percent of the scores of people taking the test would be lower than the perfect score."

........We're talking HPAT here.

I genuinely saw a HPAT official result showing 100 in the percentile box. To preserve my anonymity, I'd prefer not to divulge the actual accompaning score but will say it was roughly 10 more than the marks highlighted in recent table for 99th percentile.

.................A de R...............:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Sorry about changing topic from a slightly pointless argument, but do they take your best HPAT score or just the most recent one? I'm sure it was asked before but I really couldn't be arsed sifting through the other 26 odd pages...

ChiefBrody wrote: »
    Sorry about changing topic from a slightly pointless argument, but do they take your best HPAT score or just the most recent one? I'm sure it was asked before but I really couldn't be arsed sifting through the other 26 odd pages...

......Sorry but don't the answer for you.

......If nobody answers this for you in the interim I'll find out tomorrow and revert.

....................A de R.................:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Thanks, I'm sure you probably can't though...

• Advertisement

........We're talking HPAT here.

I genuinely saw a HPAT official result showing 100 in the percentile box. To preserve my anonymity, I'd prefer not to divulge the actual accompaning score but will say it was roughly 10 more than the marks highlighted in recent table for 99th percentile.

.................A de R...............:pac:

Result already posted on previous locked forum said 210 think was 100th percentile and someone had seen result as same so must believe it to be true if 2 post it -will edit my previous post
    So
    99th 201-209?
    100th 210-230

Have not seen this officially anywhere but would expect like LC it will be your best score. You do NOT have to repeat LC again definitely as long as you got all your points(480 and abovr) AND matriculated in same sitting.

And NO there is NOT an interview and I doubt there ever will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 UCCmed09

Result already posted on previous locked forum said 210 think was 100th percentile and someone had seen result as same so must believe it to be true if 2 post it -will edit my previous post
    So
    99th 201-209?
    100th 210-230

sure if there is a 100th %ile score (which there shouldnt be cos percentile results never give one so why the hell did the hpat?) then there can only be one student who got it..so how are we giving the 210-230 range?or is that just saying this persons score was some mark in that range?

We all have an idea of the various base entry requirements for each of the participating institutions. Will the upper points applications be highlighted? It would be interesting to view the various spreads for each med school and also to observe the variances (high and low etc), this year compared to others. There should be a "wider" and less "bunched" band as in the past because of the HPAT.

On a completely different tangent, would anyone have any idea of the percentage of students, that sat the HPAT and received enough points to do med, and will not do med (% based on all who got enough points)? I know that there are students who haven't decided on what road they will take at this particular time and their intentions would be to keep options open. Also some change their minds and circumstances and fate dictate the paths of others.

...............A de R..............:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Bazzo26

We all have an idea of the various base entry requirements for each of the participating institutions. Will the upper points applications be highlighted? It would be interesting to view the various spreads for each med school and also to observe the variances (high and low etc), this year compared to others. There should be a "wider" and less "bunched" band as in the past because of the HPAT.

On a completely different tangent, would anyone have any idea of the percentage of students, that sat the HPAT and received enough points to do med, and will not do med (% based on all who got enough points)? I know that there are students who haven't decided on what road they will take at this particular time and their intentions would be to keep options open. Also some change their minds and circumstances and fate dictate the paths of others.

...............A de R..............:confused:

Good idea, I'll get the ball rolling
    UCC: 758

On your 2nd point I'd say there must have been a good few people who got v. good HPAT's and did'nt take up a place as it was'nt their 1st choice. If you think that there was roughly 7 people fighting for a place then roughly the 86th percentile would be an average cut off. Think I'm right in saying that was about 176 points (someone correct me if i'm wrong) and the points last year were around 575/580. That would give ~730 but the average for a place in Ireland was less than 720:rolleyes:. Not sure the reason for this but the majority must have had TCD as 1st choice which is common sense really. Am just wondering how many people took up places in the UK. Any ideas?

Oh and the 100% in my opinion is, rubbish, and only if someone posts a screenshot or copy of the CAO proving it will I believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

As for the bizarre 100th percentile - Bruce college Cork are claiming it as a result.
    http://www.brucecollege.ie/magico_builder/www/index.asp?wbid=79&pgid=246336&spgid=0
    There's an easier option! Going to the FAQ on the HPAT website!
    http://www.hpat-ireland.acer.edu.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=14

HPAT-Ireland scores are valid for two years. This means they can be used in an application for admission in the year following the test, and/or one year later. Therefore if a candidate takes the test in 2010, the result can be used for admission in 2010 and 2011 only.

If you have more than one valid score (i.e. you take HPAT-Ireland two years in a row) you may use whichever score you prefer. There is no restriction on the number of times you may take HPAT-Ireland, provided you are a bona fide candidate each time.

Why do first time Leaving Certs not realise new system much fairer to them
    Can I repeat myself-from other hpat thread but important

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carsinian Thau
    That too.

I wonder if it could be said that the number of repeat students created the points race to begin with?

I know that almost all the repeat students in my year came in on 590/600 which probably made it that bit harder for the people doing it for the first time and who weren't able to get such high points.[/QUOTE

First time LC getting into medicine have increased from 59% in 2008 to 83% in 2009!!!!!!
    Does anyone know the % of first time LC doing the LC???
    in fact it is just over 90%!!!

you have to matriculate now and bring your points as people know- despite all the arguments surely the above is fairer??

In 2008 and before new system that meant 41% of places went to Repeat LC and in some cases I know 16% of admissions were on their 3rd LC!!!!

Certainly shows stamina and persistence but was it a level Playing field-I don't think so>

I don"t know shy people call HPAT an "aptitude" test. It is a psychometric intelligence test at speed with only Section 2 any resemblance to medicine!

We can argue all day about LC and new system but was a system where 90% of the students ie first time LC were only getting 59% of places fair???
    Now they get 83%- less than their numbers but a 24% improvement.

With so much (understandable) fuss about an 8% swing in favour of men why does this point never get the coverage it deserves??
    And this favours first time LC male AND female!!

but I suppose First time Leaving Certs -

aren't as clearly identified group as male or female

Maybe like me until these figures were published THEY DIDN'T KNOW!!!

Why do first time Leaving Certs not realise new system much fairer to them
    Can I repeat myself-from other hpat thread but important

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carsinian Thau
    That too.

I wonder if it could be said that the number of repeat students created the points race to begin with?

I know that almost all the repeat students in my year came in on 590/600 which probably made it that bit harder for the people doing it for the first time and who weren't able to get such high points.[/QUOTE

First time LC getting into medicine have increased from 59% in 2008 to 83% in 2009!!!!!!
    Does anyone know the % of first time LC doing the LC???
    in fact it is just over 90%!!!

you have to matriculate now and bring your points as people know- despite all the arguments surely the above is fairer??

In 2008 and before new system that meant 41% of places went to Repeat LC and in some cases I know 16% of admissions were on their 3rd LC!!!!

Certainly shows stamina and persistence but was it a level Playing field-I don't think so>

I don"t know shy people call HPAT an "aptitude" test. It is a psychometric intelligence test at speed with only Section 2 any resemblance to medicine!

We can argue all day about LC and new system but was a system where 90% of the students ie first time LC were only getting 59% of places fair???
    Now they get 83%- less than their numbers but a 24% improvement.

With so much (understandable) fuss about an 8% swing in favour of men why does this point never get the coverage it deserves??
    And this favours first time LC male AND female!!

but I suppose First time Leaving Certs -

aren't as clearly identified group as male or female

Maybe like me until these figures were published THEY DIDN'T KNOW!!!

.....drrkpd........you certainly can repeat yourself for me in any case!

You make sense along with some previous contributors. Is there any journalist or scribe out there that can collate this somewhat complex material, analyse it, and publish findings. FOI requests have been successfully conducted for much lesser tasks. There are still a lot of areas to be addressed to assist with the strengths and weaknesses of this topic.

If we continue the way we're going we will have a "skeleton" framework document prepared for someone who will need to doctor and dress it up a little!!!

.........A de R.......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

...........Apologies if it annoys you. I certainly can revert to this type font and size if you'd prefer!

...........For the record, the reason I use a "bold" system is a number of years ago, I changed for no other reason than to assist the visually impaired. This is the first time in about seven years that someone is offended with the style. I presume everyone reading this is not under twenty one also (20/20 vision!).

...........There's certainly no offence meant in this 2 point bold.

..............A de R...........:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So do I, and I certainly don't have 20/20 vision!

Maybe screens have just improved since then, Antone?

I certainly wouldn't take offense either (nothing to take offense to!) but I do find it annoying / difficult to read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It doesn't annoy me, but I just read all Antonederoast's posts in a very deep voice in my head.

Has anyone else registered for Med in NUIG? I'm registering currently, and the Curriculum Summary is basically telling me that I'm doing First Year Med this year. I'm a tad confused because I only did one science subject for the LC so technically I should be doing Pre-Med!... :confused: Is this a mistake or something?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 pharmer08

has anyone else noticed the breakdown of your hpat results are back up on the cao now????

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 UnDeNiAbLe

guys we should definatly have tht nui galway boardsie meet-up! it,ll be so cool......any1 agree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

UnDeNiAbLe wrote: »
    guys we should definatly have tht nui galway boardsie meet-up! it,ll be so cool......any1 agree?
    Mind if I come along? I'm going into sixth year but maybe ye could give me a few tips for the LC (and the whole HPAT shenanigans) in person! :)

pharmer08 wrote: »
    has anyone else noticed the breakdown of your hpat results are back up on the cao now????

:confused:

Yeah, actually! This is the first time i've seen them... Hmm... Was each section marked out of 100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Blur

UnDeNiAbLe wrote: »

I'm up for it whenever :pac:

Got my NUIG pack today.. I was just like ''uhhhh , I'll take care of all of this later....''

• Advertisement

Blur wrote: »
    I'm up for it whenever :pac:

Got my NUIG pack today.. I was just like ''uhhhh , I'll take care of all of this later....''

Ahh... Be careful if you're registering at NUIG online. I did earlier today and the website somehow accidentally registered me for the Five-Year course, and then I ended up registering again a while later for the Six-Year. Apparently I now owe the college over three grand in registration fees :rolleyes:

I'll have to ring tomorrow and sort the whole thing out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement