Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Hero

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jamie32 wrote: »
    Mr.E, just out of interest, when did you order yours? I would imagine they're shipped on a first come first served basis.

13/07/2009 Sent email - eXpansys Order Confirmation
    29/07/2009 Sent email - eXpansys - Shipped order

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

You do it once, and you'll have no issues with ordering from them again.

Yeah I understand all that and have no issue with it. Problem is I can't provide what they are asking for. As it is not my address I have no documentation relating to the address to give them although the address is verified with credit card company. Anyway I think if I order through PayPal it may go through ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Jamie32

Mr E wrote: »
    My Hero just shipped from Expansys. Hopefully they're sending from Ireland and I'll have it before the weekend. :)

I've also received an email from Expansys telling me my HTC is on the way also......Wuhoooooooo!:D:D:D

Folks, looking for a bit of advice on what Micro SD Card to buy for the Hero...i'm fairly clueless, just going on what i'm reading here, lloking at the 16GB class 6. Am I missing something or would this one do the job:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sandisk-Micro-Sdhc-16Gb-Card/dp/B001F7AJKI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248895743&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Did you order from the Ireland or UK site? seems to be a large difference in price.
    Jamie32 wrote: »
    I've also received an email from Expansys telling me my HTC is on the way also......Wuhoooooooo!:D:D:D

• Advertisement

elderlemon wrote: »
    Did you order from the Ireland or UK site? seems to be a large difference in price.

I ordered from the Irish web-site.

That micro sd card is a Class 2

-Speed Rating: Class 2

Had a quick look but can't find any class 6 ones in the usual e-tailers

CL6 card here :

http://www.shop4memory.com/products/secure-digital-microsd.asp
    8GB A-Data Turbo microSDHC Memory Card w/SD adapter

€30 with next day DHL delivery. It's shipped from Kildare, so order now and you'll get it on Friday.

The phone went from Marseille to Leipzig to the UK midlands to Shannon, but its now with the courier. Should have it later today.

The phone went from Marseille to Leipzig to the UK midlands to Shannon, but its now with the courier. Should have it later today.

No sign of that device yet? Mine shouldn't be too far behind yours, unless you went for a special express delivery? I kep her standard all the way!

• Advertisement

Arrived at 11 this morning. Had a quick look, but can't play about it until tonight (damn work). The box is tiny, and the phone is very solid (nice weight to it). FYI, the docs and software are on the 2gb memory card..... the box itself has very little documentation in it (just a QS guide, warranty info and HTC accessory guide).

Arrived at 11 this morning. Had a quick look, but can't play about it until tonight (damn work). The box is tiny, and the phone is very solid (nice weight to it). FYI, the docs and software are on the 2gb memory card..... the box itself has very little documentation in it (just a QS guide, warranty info and HTC accessory guide).

Happy days! If mine arrive before close of business tomorrow i'll be well chuffed with that! Thanks for the info. Let us know your thoughts when you get a chance tomorrow or something...prove all of the doubters wrong! Did you order a larger SD card yet?

Yeah, ordered that class 6 8gb from shop4memory last night (see post #99 in this thread). Should have it tomorrow.

I'll post my thoughts on the phone in the morning.

Can't hook it up to the net until August 7th (thats when my data package kicks in), but should be able to get it on my wifi network at home and in work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Get0fix

Cool, let us know how you get on!

Will do.

Jamie - Do you not have a tracking link on the delivery email from expansys? Click on the link, then click the DHL button on the web page. I was able to trace it on every leg of the journey....

How long is the HTC warranty on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,404 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Where's the cheapest place to get one of these? (I can wait a couple of weeks.)

If you can get it delivered to an NI or UK address Expansys.co.uk are best. I have it ordered at around 470 Euro inc shipping to the North with 30 STG of vouchers.

If not Pixmania have them for 477 Euro ex shipping. Expansys.ie are 550. Don't know of ant other irish retailers at the minute.

Dingatron wrote: »
    How long is the HTC warranty on it?

24 months for the phone, 12 months for the accessories.
    Its charging now, and I'm away for the evening, so I'll be back later with some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

24 months for the phone, 12 months for the accessories.
    Its charging now, and I'm away for the evening, so I'll be back later with some feedback.
    Im not anxiously waiting.........nope.Not me

<<_<<
    >>_>>

• Advertisement

OK, here we go.

I've been playing about with it for the last half an hour, and its pretty damn cool. The interface is very slick, and great fun to play about with. The first thing I did was disable the mobile network (I don't want to pay big data charges - I'm waiting until my data addon kicks in on the 7th August).

I set up a wifi connection to my network at home, and got up and running on the internet. Tried the browser -- it seems to load a page fully before displaying it, which makes it appear slower than it really is.

There is a built in locator in the phone, so that tells the phone exactly where you are. You can load Google maps and it will automatically center on your exact location (accurate to 1.8km, so it says). I'd say it was less than ½km out....

I need to sync it up in the office tomorrow to get my contacts and calendar in there...

The onscreen keyboard is very slick. I was worried about messing up characters because the buttons are so small, but it very cleverly takes the letter that is directly under the point you press on the keyboard. Even if your finger presses a letter and all of the letters immediately surrounding it, its clever enough to pick the letter in the middle. I was able to type a text message very quickly.

The speed of the phone is fine. I don't know how its going to be when its fully loaded and polling the internet at regular intervals, but after using Windows Mobile for the last 6 years, its a really pleasant change.

If I was to be really picky, I'd say I'm not crazy about the trackball. I never liked the trackball on blackberries, and this is very similar. I don't think its needed on a touchscreen phone. My other criticism is no printed manual (just a quick start guide). I don't want to have to read a PDF on screen, and I don't want to print out a 140+ page guide.

Thats it for now..... no regrets!

Will do.

Jamie - Do you not have a tracking link on the delivery email from expansys? Click on the link, then click the DHL button on the web page. I was able to trace it on every leg of the journey....

Yeah they tried to deliver yesterday at 11:30am but I wasn't there so they'll be delivering it at same time today and this time there will be someone there! Good review by the way. Glad to hear we didn't spend all that money for a phone we don't like!!:mad:

Nice one Mr E! I must say I dont mind the trackballs. Do you have to use it much?

OK I finally have my HTC Hero. It looks well snazzy, nice and compact. She's chargin now for the moment, haven't bothered turning it on or anything yet so can't comment on any of the features but I certainly like the look and feel of it anyway, it's acually a lot neater than I would have expected, much more compact. Will post up a more in depth report later if I have a few mins.

Get0fix wrote:
    Nice one Mr E! I must say I dont mind the trackballs. Do you have to use it much?

Nope, haven't really used it at all. I expect its handy for browsing (web and documents).
    It also pulses with light when you miss a call or get a text/email, which looks pretty cool.

Contact and Calendar sync wouldn't work for me this morning until I got the latest sync program from HTC's website (2.0.4). Working with Vista Ultimate and Office 2007. All contacts and calendar are now on the phone, and working well. Doesn't use activesync.

I also grabbed a free program called Taskiller from the android store which lets you kill running applications (handy for keeping the phone running smoothly).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Have you noticed any lag or slow down when using the menu or apps?

Honestly, no problems yet. Now I don't have it hooked into Vodafones APN yet, polling the internet every few minutes, but the phone itself is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I'm so confused about which one to get, this or the N97, I think the hero is winning at the moment.

I'm so confused about which one to get, this or the N97, I think the hero is winning at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwnENwh-vdA

From 5:50 onwards. I'd get it on that alone! How cool is that ;)

• Advertisement

Oh hell yes! Very cool. Looked pretty smooth while the dude was using it. I currently have a Nokia N73, so that looks lightning fast compared to my rubbish :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement