Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO deadline has passed (DRAMATIC MUSIC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

I have medicine down in three colleges. But i want to add medicine in Galway also. Can I do this? Will it be valid because it is a restricted course?

Please help!

Are restricted courses ones you need to give a portfolio/interview for? I might have no idea what I'm going on about here, but if so has the deadline expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

I'll be staying up all night doing it, i have to have it done by tommorow morning i messed it up last year so ended up doing nothing for a year

Almost everything sounds so boring and dull there's only about 3 i can see myself realistic doing. And as soon as i see the word mathematics in the course details i automaticaly rule it out

I stupidly didn't go to any of the open days either. There was always something else to do. I've only myself to blame if i pick the wrong college and/or course :(:o

So are most people doing courses they think they'd enjoy doing or courses they think would get them a good job? I can't imagine spending 4 years doing something i find boring just to get a good job :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

I have medicine down in three colleges. But i want to add medicine in Galway also. Can I do this? Will it be valid because it is a restricted course?

Please help!

OK I'm taking an educated guess at this. :D

Page 4 CAO states:

“Exception to restricted course rule: If a restricted course shares the exact same assessment procedures with a course you had applied for [...] you may be permitted to introduce it on a change of mind.”

I presume because you have applied for medicine already that means you can do so for an additional college.

If you had not applied for medicine by the 1st February then you cannot do so now.

It also says you should consult with the university before introducing such a course so best to ring galway tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

unless it's important that it says Anhony and not Anthony.

It should be fairly easy to fix that mate according to their website you have to write a letter to them and post it explaining the problum

Id advise you do change it because while its only a small thing really and isnt going to affect your offers
    its just going to be another hassle in september trying to change your name with the college you get

just write them a note and throw it in the post with all your details and your cao number written on it....
    :)
    the address is:

Central Applications Office
    Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway, Ireland

HELLO132 wrote: »
    I'll be staying up all night doing it, i have to have it done by tommorow morning i messed it up last year so ended up doing nothing for a year

Almost everything sounds so boring and dull there's only about 3 i can see myself realistic doing. And as soon as i see the word mathematics in the course details i automaticaly rule it out

I stupidly didn't go to any of the open days either. There was always something else to do. I've only myself to blame if i pick the wrong college and/or course :(:o

So are most people doing courses they think they'd enjoy doing or courses they think would get them a good job? I can't imagine spending 4 years doing something i find boring just to get a good job :P

What's the 3 courses you want to do?

Unless you have a specific career in mind then do a course you will enjoy and do well in because a lot of companies employing graduates look at your grades in college rather than the content of the degree. A higher second class honours is a prerequisite for a lot of companies and it will be easier for you to get this in a course you are genuinely interested in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aphroditelass

Please help!

i'm in the same boat! i only have two colleges down for medicine. now i want to add UCD. I presume the restricted was because of the hpat, but if you have the hpat done surely its ok to add another college. That's what i'm going to do anyway and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Secoundrow wrote: »
    It should be fairly easy to fix that mate according to their website you have to write a letter to them and post it explaining the problum

Id advise you do change it because while its only a small thing really and isnt going to affect your offers
    its just going to be another hassle in september trying to change your name with the college you get

just write them a note and throw it in the post with all your details and your cao number written on it....
    :)
    the address is:

Central Applications Office
    Tower House, Eglinton Street, Galway, Ireland

Alright, I'm going to do that now, but isn't it too late to change it though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I can't decide if I'd prefer Human Genetics or Psychology....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

^ Personally I'd find genetics very boring but psych fascinating. Personal preference though. Have you ever read anything psych related? Did you do well in the relations section of the HPAT? That could show aptitude. :) I'm going to shut up now :)

Changed mine this morning and I'm actually really happy with it. Feels like a weight has been taken off my shoulders :D

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Can we change our mind tomorrow at 5pm??? or is today the deadline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ddddd

tomorrow at 5:15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Human Genetics ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭ALincoln

eoccork wrote: »
    Can we change our mind tomorrow at 5pm??? or is today the deadline

Do not leave it that late. The site will crash tommorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Blondiegirl2009

F**k me, I'm clueless and CAO due tomorrow. Anyone else with me? Prob best to get it done 2day incase it goes all slow 2moro.:eek: 5.15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

If you have all your courses down but change the order, does that put you back in the que like, you know what I mean, like do you come up at the end of the list?

CyberWaste wrote: »
    If you have all your courses down but change the order, does that put you back in the que like, you know what I mean, like do you come up at the end of the list?

The only thing that decides where you are in the queue is points achieved on 12th august and satisfaction of matriculation requirements.

The cao does not like you less for changing courses before 5.15 tomorrow although it should definitely be done today in case there are technical problems tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I dunno what to do with my CAO aahhh

ok mine looks like this, dunno if I'm happy with it but I think I'll leave it

1. DN026 Economics and Finance
    2. TR081 Business, Economic and Social Studies
    3. MH401 Finance and Economics
    4. DC230 Economics, Politics and Law
    5. DN012 Arts
    6. CK101 Arts
    7. GY101 Arts
    8. MH101 Arts
    9. WD160 Finance and Investment
    10. WD084 Accounting

can't decide whether to switch 3 and 4 or not though

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Occono wrote: »
    Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. MI004 Liberal Arts
    2. LM033 New Media and English
    3. LM035 English and History
    4. LM039 Journalism and New Media
    5. LM051 Computer Systems
    6. LM020 Law and Accounting
    7. LM038 Psychology and Sociology
    8. LM046 History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies
    9. LM029 Law Plus
    10. LM041 Public Administration

Thanks though.

dont go there!! its really boring and full of nuns!!!!!!!

ok mine looks like this, dunno if I'm happy with it but I think I'll leave it

1. DN026 Economics and Finance
    2. TR081 Business, Economic and Social Studies
    3. MH401 Finance and Economics
    4. DC230 Economics, Politics and Law
    5. DN012 Arts
    6. CK101 Arts
    7. GY101 Arts
    8. MH101 Arts
    9. WD160 Finance and Investment
    10. WD084 Accounting

can't decide whether to switch 3 and 4 or not though

you can see the exam papers from maynooth if that helps http://www.nuim.ie/cgi-bin/library/index.cgi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

With regards to the latest piece of paper sent out to everybody giving their choices did anyone notice point number 5 on it?

My reading of it is that by sending this sheet back with any ammendments one could possibly extend their CAO deadline by a few days at least?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭danishidiot

Yes that is true, but highly unrecommended as there is usually a massive backlog in the cao admin. office. I wouldn't recommend it.
    On a different topic, have many people chosen science courses on thier CAO? I'm kinda worried that science places will be sparse this year and that the points will be much higher.....anyway, my choices are;
    1. TR071 Science
    2. DN008 Science
    3. DC201 Common Entry into Science (Undenominated Entry)
    4. MH201 Science
    5. DC165 Science International Programme
    6. TR035 Theoretical Physics
    7. DN031 Theoretical Physics
    8. TR076 Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials
    9. TR075 Medicinal Chemistry
    10. DC162 Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences

Any opinions on my choices?

6. TR035 Theoretical Physics
    7. DN031 Theoretical Physics

Any opinions on my choices?

Don't forget that Maynooth offer Theoretical Physics, too.

Also (I'm not sure what level of research you've given to Theoretical Physics), don't do it if you're not the biggest fan of maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. LM110 Multimedia and Computer Games Development
    2. DC121 Computer Applications
    3. WD168 Entertainments Systems
    4. CW208 Computer Games Development
    5. BN112 Creative Digital Media
    6. AL032 Software Design (Games Development)
    7. TI018 Computing - Games Design and Development
    8. DK820 Computing in Games Development
    9. MH211 Multimedia (BSc)

Any opinions or thoughts on my choices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

My level 8 choices:
    1. CK101 - Arts

. . . Anybody have an opinion on my courses? :p

yes I think you should put some other stuff also just in case

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Larkin501 wrote: »
    . . . Anybody have an opinion on my courses? :p
    They don't charge you extra for filling up a few more lines you know! ;)

You hopefully will never need them, but just in case half the country decided to emigrate to Cork!

Ok, I admit that's highly unlikely, but still! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

You hopefully will never need them, but just in case half the country decided to emigrate to Cork!

Ok, I admit that's highly unlikely, but still! :p:D

Cork's a lovely place! Why wouldn't half the country emigrate down here?:D

Anyway, to keep the thread on topic, I've decided to put down computer science as well. Just in case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Mr.Helpful

1. MH101
    2. DN012
    3. GY101
    4. DC235
    5. DT110
    6. LC481
    7. DT552

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Does anyone else think that they should just have a 'randomise' button on the CAO website?

Advertisement