Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO deadline has passed (DRAMATIC MUSIC)

Options
  • 23-06-2009 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭

So the deadline, the actual, ultimate, super-serial deadline is just around the corner.

I've been putting off all of the decision-making since January.

Anyone else still fairly intimidated by the selection process?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

could anyone explain how does the cao works?
    i am kinda confused :(

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Isaac702

Im not really concerned about the selection process. Provided that I get the points required I will get into the course I want to do.

Also for those who are not sure how the system works here is a basic run through.
    The information on courses provided by applicants in entered into a computer.
    The computer gives places to applicants in the order of those who got the highest points.
    In the occurrence where at the end of the process there are x places left for the course and y people with the same points a lottery system is brought into play and x number of applicants from the y applicants will be chosen.
    Those that do not get a place on their number 1 option are then automatically entered into the database for their second option.
    The same process is them followed.

In this manner the Irish system is considered very fair as it is completely under the control of an unbiased mechanism and their are no human operators to make the decisions.

Edit: Does anyone plan on making any changes to their CAO. Personally I was happy with what I put down originally and I don't think I will make any other changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I'm set on my first choice, but I'm not so sure of getting it, so I'm having trouble settling on a backup. I keep juggling them around, getting nowhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Right, well I'm trying to do my final mixing around of choices. Ie, what I want 1st, etc. But before I finalize it, I was wondering how exactly the courses are given out? Like, when the first rounds come out, will each course you have down offer you something? Like, will you get an offer for, say, number 6 (if no course before that offers you a place that is) on the first day or how does it work?
    I've a vague idea but not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭banjopaul

MrPirate wrote: »
    Right, well I'm trying to do my final mixing around of choices. Ie, what I want 1st, etc. But before I finalize it, I was wondering how exactly the courses are given out? Like, when the first rounds come out, will each course you have down offer you something? Like, will you get an offer for, say, number 6 (if no course before that offers you a place that is) on the first day or how does it work?
    I've a vague idea but not 100% sure.

You only get one offer in the first round in each section, i.e. one in level 6/7 and another in level 8. If you got offered say your number 3, everything below that is completely canceled from your application for the second round, as you have told the CAO that you want this course more than the others below it. You can only move up from a lower course in the second round, you can't get offers further down your list.
    Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

If I get offered my 2nd choice say in the 1st round, and don't accept it, but then still don't get my 1st choice in the 2nd round what happens? Can I still pick the 2nd choice, or is that now "void" because I dismissed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Can I still pick the 2nd choice, or is that now "void" because I dismissed it?
    Yeah...I'm fairly sure it'll be void.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I keep changing mine! Basically my first 4 on the level 8 side have stayed the same since day one, but after that I'm just not sure.
    But on the level 6/7 I didn't put any courses down originally, and even now I only have one, but I really don't want it. I don't know what to do. Sorta freaking out a bit, I didn't want to put anything down, but now I'm scared not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

If I get offered my 2nd choice say in the 1st round, and don't accept it, but then still don't get my 1st choice in the 2nd round what happens? Can I still pick the 2nd choice, or is that now "void" because I dismissed it?

what you dismiss in round 1 is given to someone else who will appreciate it a little more :D. Take what you get in round 1 and you can always get a better offer in round 2

I keep changing mine! Basically my first 4 on the level 8 side have stayed the same since day one, but after that I'm just not sure.
    But on the level 6/7 I didn't put any courses down originally, and even now I only have one, but I really don't want it. I don't know what to do. Sorta freaking out a bit, I didn't want to put anything down, but now I'm scared not to.

going into level 7 in september may well work out the same in 4 years because theres loads of 1 year add ons to make your level 7 degree a level 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

I have Arts in Maynooth down as 1st choice, and the other 9 are stuff I wouldnt reallly be happy doing.

pathway33 wrote: »
    going into level 7 in september may well work out the same in 4 years because theres loads of 1 year add ons to make your level 7 degree a level 8

Oh it's not because of the time, that doesn't bother me in the slightest, it's the courses. All I want to do is music performance, and there are not level 7's available in that. The only one I do have on my level 7 is music and instrument technology, but it's more based around guitars and recording techniques which is totally not what I want.
    After music on my level 8 I have arts and then just at the end is a couple of biology courses, but I'd have to be pretty pushed to accept one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

i only have 2 courses on my CAO, both level 8s. I keep changing them around though because im not sure which i want more, but its safer to go with the lower points one because i have to get an offer in the first round to keep my apartment! decisions decisions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dontlikeurmam

pathway33 wrote: »
    Take what you get in round 1 and you can always get a better offer in round 2

Can you really do that??...like can you accept your first choice on the second round after already accepting your second choice on the first round?...sorry i know that sounds messed up

Can you really do that??...like can you accept your first choice on the second round after already accepting your second choice on the first round?...sorry i know that sounds messed up

yes that's the CAO rule.....you can move up your list of preferences in a later round but you cannot move down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭AMixedBag

Peppapig wrote: »
    I have Arts in Maynooth down as 1st choice, and the other 9 are stuff I wouldnt reallly be happy doing.
    Same as me. I have science in Maynooth down as 2. Wouldn't mind if i got that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 clicks

i left mine right until the last second too, just take the leap of faith it will work out in the end!

Just about to go CAO-ing now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

was real iffy bout two courses on my cao... sports science and health in dcu and science in trinity.... just did heads and tails!

them two courses and science in ucd are the courses im more than likely goona get too

this is what it looks like

Level 8 Course Choices: 1. DN006 Physiotherapy 2. TR053 Physiotherapy 3. RC004 Physiotherapy 4. DC204 Athletic Therapy and Training 5. DC202 Sport Science and Health 6. TR071 Science 7. DN008 Science 8. DT204 Biomedical Science 9. GY301 Science 10. DN012 Arts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Say i put down a course NO.1 which i will not get the points for eg Physiotherapy

And put the course I will most likely get eg ARTS NO.2

I dont have a science subject and just put in Physiotherapy for the laugh and hope the CAO make a mistake will I lose my ARTS course

• Advertisement

D.R cowboy wrote: »
    Say i put down a course NO.1 which i will not get the points for eg Physiotherapy

I dont have a science subject and just put in Physiotherapy for the laugh and hope the CAO make a mistake will I lose my ARTS course

If you get your number 1 in the first round that's all you will be offered. You automatically lose the other 9 courses and there is no way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭HELLO132

So i did my LC last year but messed up on my CAO application. Basicaly i put my 1st choice (favoured choice) in 2nd position without realising the importance of ordering, that as long as you had the points for your 1st choice (which i did) you wouldn't be offered any of your other choices :o

So i decided to reapply this year assuming that i'd still want to do the same course as last year. With me being one of the the world's biggest procrastinators its only recently that i decided to look over my choices that i realised maybe the course isn't for me (i know only a week left:eek::()

So i looked through the list for all the courses and i'm a bit confused about the wording it has

for example:

Course

ENGINEERING/TECHNOLOGY

IT BLANCHARDSTOWN
    First
    Final
    Computing
    Engineering

What does Final mean? It doesn't explain it at all maybe it obvious but i'm a bit rusty with the CAO atm. Any help would be greatly appreciated ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I'm going to do worse in the LC than I expected to do at the start of 5th/6th year. I bottled History and dropped down inn French to OL so I reckon I'll get somewhere in the vicinity of 320-370 points when I was expecting around 400 so I'm looking at Arts in UCD, it's just that UCD is quite far away from where I live but I think that that would probably be the best course available to me. Iwould like to do something with English but I wouldn't mind a business course which is why I have a couple of NCI courses that I wouldn't mind doing. NCI is close enough to me and I hear it's quite a good college so I'm still not sure if I should put one of those in front of Arts.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm still very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

D.R cowboy wrote: »

If you don't qualify for a course you wont be offered it, you would be offered Arts

:confused: first round and final round points? but the figures should be the other way round for that because the points should be reducing as the rounds pass not increasing?

:confused: could it mean the person with the highest points got 305 and the lowest entrant got 225?

i have no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm in the position where I'm freaking out,but I don't want to deal with it and I need to. If I don't get any of my first 3 choices,it's goodbye life. :| Hmmm. I might stick Law and Business down and see. Stupid CAO,I hate you.

Liam O wrote: »
    Iwould like to do something with English but I wouldn't mind a business course

3 year honours degree in englishy stuff and businessy/economics stuff in dublin....220 points last year....ny good?

http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

is the deadline the 1st of july?

is the deadline the 1st of july?

5 o clock AFAIK but if you try to log on that day www.cao.ie might crash like it did before because of the traffic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Level 8 Category of course choices
    Pref Code Course Title
    1 CK703 Pharmacy
    2 TR072 Pharmacy
    3 RC005 Pharmacy
    4 CK402 Biological and Chemical Sciences
    5 CK405 Genetics
    6 CR320 Biomedical Science - Joint CIT and UCC programme
    7 CK406 Chemical Sciences
    8 CK404 Environmental and Earth System Sciences
    9 CK201 Commerce
    10 CK204 Finance

Level 7/6 Category of course choices

Pref Code Course Title
    1 CR006 Applied Biosciences
    2 CR007 Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    3 CR300 Science ( Level 7 - Common Entry )

Advertisement