Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAO deadline has passed (DRAMATIC MUSIC)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

Oh dear I just realized that I indicated I had a learning disability (which I do according to a Psychologist I had at School, though I can't quite remember what she called it) but I never filled out what it was.

Have I screwed myself? This is so confusing, I really wish there was still somebody at my School who could help.

Oh, and it says my name is Anhony, not Anthony.

And now I'm remembering none of this matters because everyone insisted I'll need to do another year and my Physics teacher convinced me to drop to the Ordinary level paper at the last moment, leaving me with only one higher level done on the Leaving Cert and you need at least two for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Q-If upon results I dont get enough points for my first choice but do for my second, am I offered a place on my second after those who put it first or is it still based on those with the higher points getting in?

A-???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Occono wrote: »
    Oh dear I just realized that I indicated I had a learning disability (which I do according to a Psychologist I had at School, though I can't quite remember what she called it) but I never filled out what it was.

Have I screwed myself? This is so confusing, I really wish there was still somebody at my School who could help.

Ring your school tomorrow morning...the secretary or maybe principal is probably still there? They're sure to have a number for your careers teacher, give them a ring and they'll help you.

Isn't there a place on the online cao application form where you can change your personal details?
    Jammyc wrote: »

Q-If upon results I dont get enough points for my first choice but do for my second, am I offered a place on my second after those who put it first or is it still based on those with the higher points getting in?

A-???

I think your second now becomes your first, and its still based on the higher points..i THINK. DO NOT hold me to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

me with only one higher level done on the Leaving Cert and you need at least two for anything.

There's lots of level 7 degrees that you can do with 5 pass subjects. Check them out on www.qualifax.ie

Jammyc wrote: »

A-???

You are offered your second choice before someone elses first choice if you get more points than them and have fulfilled the matriculation requirements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

And now I'm remembering none of this matters because everyone insisted I'll need to do another year and my Physics teacher convinced me to drop to the Ordinary level paper at the last moment, leaving me with only one higher level done on the Leaving Cert and you need at least two for anything.

It depends when they tell you if your going to receive the extra points

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Butterz

I'd pick medicine. Accounting, to me anyway, sounds like the most tediously boring course/job imaginable. I'd rather chop of my left arm than be an accountant (I'd actually rather chop off my left arm than be a doctor too, though).

I don't do accounting. But I just finished my first year in Finance in UCC. I chose it because i didnt want to be doing financial reporting style accounting all the time.
    In first year we were in the same accounting modules as Accouting and only one of them was Financial reporting. BORING. The other two however, Management accounting and Business Finance are really interesting and involve alot more than just debits and credits.
    In second year Accounting do things like Law and Psychology whereas we cover more economics and learn about investment analysis.
    Unfortunately, both have to do Financial Reporting again.

Both do 6 month work placement in 3rd year but the Finance one is much more established. We are told that everyone is guaranteed a place but I'm not sure with the way things are going. :cool:

And ya, I would also hate to do medicine. Too much study and worst of all.....MCQ's......not to mind that you'll be working in a hospital after!

Mr.S wrote: »
    So just to make sure:

If i get say, my 3rd choice in Round 1, and i accept it. But in round 2 i get offers for either my 1st or 2nd choice, can I cancell my original acceptance and go for one of the courses i got in round 2?

Yah, that's how it works exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Saffy

My laptop is ****ed up and won't open the cao website:rolleyes:

Ring your school tomorrow morning...the secretary or maybe principal is probably still there? They're sure to have a number for your careers teacher, give them a ring and they'll help you.

Isn't there a place on the online cao application form where you can change your personal details?

I think your second now becomes your first, and its still based on the higher points..i THINK. DO NOT hold me to that!

It doesn't let you change your name except by a handwritten letter.
    pathway33 wrote: »
    There's lots of level 7 degrees that you can do with 5 pass subjects. Check them out on www.qualifax.ie

My guidance counsellor and I only filled out Level 8 Courses.....I don't know exactly what Level 7/6 Courses are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

The CAO computer looks at the leaving cert points you have and if you have satisfied the basic matriculation requirements (could be passed maths or a language or english) it offers you the highest course on your list that you qualify for.

The CAO rule is: Put the courses in the order you want them. Completely ignore the fact that you think you may not get the points for something.

For example some people are saying that Law in trinity will have a drop in points because solicitors are being let go left right and centre because of the construction recesssion.

If you want to stay in cork you have to put the cork courses at the top of your list.

hey thanks so much, one more Q.
    if i put UCD and TCD , then put maynooth and UCC
    if i didnt get enough pts for the 1st two, but i got enough pts for maynooth but i decided to go to UCC , can i still do that yea ?

i really cant make up my mind about the 3rd opinion...

:eek: this annoys me so much now ....
    =(

~Candy~ wrote: »
    hey thanks so much, one more Q.
    if i put UCD and TCD , then put maynooth and UCC
    if i didnt get enough pts for the 1st two, but i got enough pts for maynooth but i decided to go to UCC , can i still do that yea ?

i really cant make up my mind about the 3rd opinion...

If you have Maynooth as your third choice, and you get offered it, any course underneath it is automatically "deleted". You won't be offered a lower course in further round offers either. You can't chose what course you want, you get offered them in your order of preference; always moving up, but never moving down.

Some of the Level 6/7 Course Codes that Qualifax gives don't seem to work, and I have a hard time finding where to get the real ones. I don't really understand what Level 7/6 Courses are to be honest....

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Brainy

Colleges are not allowed to take preference into account when offering places.

As the CAO Handbook says you are offered the highest preference for which you qualify. Therefore if you get your first choice that is the only offer you will get but if you get a lower choice you will still be considered for a higher course choice whether or not you accept the first offer you get. You can always move up the list but NEVER down the list.

Therefore as an applicant you should enter your course choices in YOUR order of preference. i.e.

course choice 1 - course you really want to do
    Course choice 2 - the course you want to do if you don't get your first choice
    Course choice 3 - the course you want to do if you don't get your first or second choice and so on......

Some of the Level 6/7 Course Codes that Qualifax gives don't seem to work, and I have a hard time finding where to get the real ones. I don't really understand what Level 7/6 Courses are to be honest....

They should work? Try the individual college prospectuses.

A level 7 course is an ordinary level degree (whereas a level 8 is an honours degree). A level 6 is a higher level certificate. They're just different degree level classifications. You can do add ons to get from a level 6/7 up to a level 8 (i.e. additional years in college). Level 6/7 degrees are typically shorter too, most are 3 years and a small few are 2 years.

Hope that helps.

If you have Maynooth as your third choice, and you get offered it, any course underneath it is automatically "deleted". You won't be offered a lower course in further round offers either. You can't chose what course you want, you get offered them in your order of preference; always moving up, but never moving down.

thankyou :( so really. i have to pick between maynooth and ucc right?

better qualification vs the course i like which is close to home

They should work? Try the individual college prospectuses.

A level 7 course is an ordinary level degree (whereas a level 8 is an honours degree). A level 6 is a higher level certificate. They're just different degree level classifications. You can do add ons to get from a level 6/7 up to a level 8 (i.e. additional years in college). Level 6/7 degrees are typically shorter too, most are 3 years and a small few are 2 years.

Hope that helps.

I tried, but no help. The codes that don't work are just numbers and are appointed by Qualifax or something....Agggh I hate trying to do this by myself.

I think half the things I want are expired, other half cost too much with no sort of scholarships.....I'm really bloody confused :( I'm just going to put a Course in each slot and hope something is actually right to put on the application..... It currently looks like this:

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. MI004 Liberal Arts
    2. LM033 New Media and English
    3. LM035 English and History
    4. LM039 Journalism and New Media
    5. LM051 Computer Systems
    6. LM020 Law and Accounting
    7. LM038 Psychology and Sociology
    8. LM046 History, Politics, Sociology and Social Studies
    9. LM029 Law Plus
    10. LM041 Public Administration

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. CW547 TV and Media Production
    2. DL133 Audio Visual Media Technology
    3. GC210 Marketing (Cork)
    4. LY707 Computer Games Development
    5. DT260 Industrial and Environmental Physics

Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭manutd4life

just swapped two of my courses around.

sent the same course list twice lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

I tried, but no help. The codes that don't work are just numbers and are appointed by Qualifax or something....Agggh I hate trying to do this by myself.

Thanks though.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I know why that is man THEIR NOT CAO COURSES THEIR LEVEL 9 MASTERS DEGREES
    you cant apply for them their for POSTGRADUATES which means their courses for people who have a degree and want a better one!!!

When you use the Qualifax website you must
    1. Click the STUDENT Tab in the top bar its red.
    2. Now look at the right hand column and click FIND COURSE.
    3. Click HIGHER EDUCATION CAO in the menu which expands.
    4. Now the search menue which appears will only show the CAO courses which you can apply for on CAO.ie.
    You see mate the reason those courses just have numbers as a code is because to apply for them you have to ring the college yourself and arrange an interview!
    ie, We/You cant apply for them courses as they are only for people with degrees

we have to apply for either level 6, 7, or 8, degrees but the courses you are trying to apply for are the next step up the degree ladder
    their Level 9:)

you have to apply for some of the level 6 (2year courses) level 7(3year courses) or level 8 (4year courses-in a university / 5years in an institute of technology)

:oHope I helped pm me if ya still dont understand it!

ps. By the way mate your CAO list looks grand now the courses down are alrite but maybe they arnt what you wnted??

just another edit;

The reason those courses cost so much is because their for postgrads....but all cao courses at least those in a university ot institute of tech ie. not in a private school are covered under the free fees inititive so all you will have to pay is the registration fee to the college which stands around 1500euro
    but you can get this paid for you if you apply for the maintanance grant (if you qualify to recheive it of course)
    Visit www.studentfinance.ie

• Advertisement

Secoundrow wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:
    I know why that is man THEIR NOT CAO COURSES THEIR LEVEL 9 MASTERS DEGREES

:confused:

These level 7 courses seem fine as regards the CAO codes.

1. CW547 TV and Media Production
    2. DL133 Audio Visual Media Technology
    3. GC210 Marketing (Cork)

Didnt check the other ones

thankyou :( so really. i have to pick between maynooth and ucc right?

better qualification vs the course i like which is close to home

yep you have to pick now.

The only possible way you would have a choice in august is if you have on your cao

3. maynooth
    4. ucc

and in the first round you get offered ucc which you accept. Then in the second round you still fail to get the points for choices 1 or 2 but now have enough points for choice 3 (maynooth), then you get to choose choice 4 or choice 3, but amongst all the permutations that statistically is so improbable that it's not even worth considering.

so to answer your question :D ....pick now

:o aw ok thanks...

would anyone know the difference between a 3 yr course and a 4 yrs one? how comes maynooth has 3 yrs courses......:eek:i only just saw it now

:o aw ok thanks...

would anyone know the difference between a 3 yr course and a 4 yrs one? how comes maynooth has 3 yrs courses......:eek:i only just saw it now

Most of their courses are a year shorter (well most of the ones that I've looked into); that doesn't mean that it's a worse course, it just means it's a bit more intensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Secoundrow

Pathway33
    These level 7 courses seem fine as regards the CAO codes.

:)there was a ps at the bottom of my comment youll see that is courses were fine But he/she said that they were trying other courses which only had all number codes down.....ie if you go on qualifax they only do this with non cao courses they just assign them a reference number the current list is fine but you cant apply for a masters straight out of the leaving:o

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Loads of the Qualifax level 7 course won't work (I tried some of the biology, D.I.T I think, but no luck). It's ridiculus! I have a list of the cncelled courses and none of the ones I put on my CAO are on that list but the codes won't work, I even tried using the prospectus and CAO points list to make sure I had them right?
    Must be a glitch, I'm not too bothered as they are only space fillers on my level 7 side, but I can see how others must be very worried.

all cao courses at least those in a university ot institute of tech ie. not in a private school are covered under the free fees inititive so all you will have to pay is the registration fee to the college which stands around 1500euro
    but you can get this paid for you if you apply for the maintanance grant (if you qualify to recheive it of course)
    Visit www.studentfinance.ie

is griffith college cork a private school?

is griffith college cork a private school?

Yup... but if you're wondering about getting fees paid/getting a grant if you're going to a private college, there was a court case in the last year where someone who went to a private college fought and won the right to a grant, so it's best to check with your local Council/VEC what the craic is with this.

Pathway33

:)there was a ps at the bottom of my comment youll see that is courses were fine But he/she said that they were trying other courses which only had all number codes down.....ie if you go on qualifax they only do this with non cao courses they just assign them a reference number the current list is fine but you cant apply for a masters straight out of the leaving:o

Oh, right :) Thanks....yeah I clicked "All Courses". Well it wouldn't let me enter the codes anyway so I figured I was messing up there somehow :)

God I hope I can get in contact with the guidance counselor tomorrow.....I was told by a Psychologist at School I'd be helped get into a course I want even if I didn't get enough points because my University has an access programme for disadvantaged students, and an IQ test I did would be very helpful because the results were pretty impressive....or something.....but I don't know if I screwed up only doing one Higher Level, I dropped at the last moment, and all my Level 8 choices that we sorted out require two...I didn't have any Level 7 courses marked down till today.

Baarrghhhssmmdssasagghhilllee. No idea what I'm doing. :( Oh well, at least I have a application that I like ready, I just feel like I've screwed up doing one higher level on the LC...If I haven't then my Application is fine, unless it's important that it says Anhony and not Anthony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭i'm a smiler

I have medicine down in three colleges. But i want to add medicine in Galway also. Can I do this? Will it be valid because it is a restricted course?

Please help!

Advertisement